BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs
 
Lux Angel Eyes
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-25-2017, 10:42 AM   #1
Exclusivs
Lieutenant Colonel
Exclusivs's Avatar
No_Country
156
Rep
1,855
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: AZ

iTrader: (22)

Sonax / BBS / and some TLC (Weekend Project)

Removed wheels + some much deserved loving!

Should have taken "before" shots. Step 2: Will clay, possibly add sealant / wax / or coating later

Excuse the poor iPhone photos/dim lighting

Tools:
- Sonax Full effect / Pinnacle car soap / Wheel brushes, wash mitt, grit guards


Did twice, though wasn't truly necessary.

Any recommendations for non glossy coating/sealants safe on BBS wheels?







Appreciate 1
      09-25-2017, 11:27 AM   #2
dparm
But doctor...I am Pagliacci.
dparm's Avatar
United_States
628
Rep
4,838
Posts

Drives: Corvette Grand Sport
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Interesting question about the sealants. Most of the big names (Cquartz, Modesta, etc) are only for glossy finishes.

Swissvax does make a line called "Opaque" that is for matte. Might be worth a look.
__________________
Now: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport
Past: 2011.5 M3 sedan ZCP
Appreciate 1
      09-25-2017, 10:36 PM   #3
roastbeef
Major General
roastbeef's Avatar
United_States
1377
Rep
5,857
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (1)

18's huh? hot.
__________________
Appreciate 1
      09-25-2017, 11:03 PM   #4
///MPower15
Captain
///MPower15's Avatar
219
Rep
936
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (13)

I have the same wheels/finish. I used car pro dlux and it didn't change the finish at all. Cleaning is 95% touchless, definitely recommend.

https://www.amazon.com/CarPro-DLux-P...s=carpro+wheel
__________________
E92 M3 ZCP Mineral White/Black | BBS Fi | Ohlins R/T | IPE | OSS | BPM

Last edited by ///MPower15; 09-26-2017 at 03:15 PM.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 01:43 PM   #5
Exclusivs
Lieutenant Colonel
Exclusivs's Avatar
No_Country
156
Rep
1,855
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: AZ

iTrader: (22)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Interesting question about the sealants. Most of the big names (Cquartz, Modesta, etc) are only for glossy finishes.

Swissvax does make a line called "Opaque" that is for matte. Might be worth a look.
Do waxes uphold in a world full of advanced coatings/sealants? Appreciate Swissvax quality product for amazing depth on show car paint, but on wheels? Have doubts would hold up longer then 2-4 washes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPower15 View Post
I have the same wheels/finish. I used car pro dlux and it didn't change the finish at all. Cleaning is 95% touchless, defiantly recommend.

https://www.amazon.com/CarPro-DLux-P...s=carpro+wheel
Thank you for that reply, C-quartz seems to make a quality coating - will reach out to them.

Nanolex Si-Shield was other recommendation I received
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 01:53 PM   #6
dparm
But doctor...I am Pagliacci.
dparm's Avatar
United_States
628
Rep
4,838
Posts

Drives: Corvette Grand Sport
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Are you going to be tracking those wheels?
__________________
Now: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport
Past: 2011.5 M3 sedan ZCP
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 01:59 PM   #7
doogee
Captain
doogee's Avatar
Canada
212
Rep
805
Posts

Drives: '08 M3, '97 328is
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ancaster, ON, Canada

iTrader: (0)

I dont recommend a coating for wheels. In my experience, brake dust tends to stick to the wheels in a strange way that requires much more scrubbing than without a coating.

Also if you like Sonax Full Effect, try Nextzett Colortec. Same cleaning power but it actually suds.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 02:15 PM   #8
dparm
But doctor...I am Pagliacci.
dparm's Avatar
United_States
628
Rep
4,838
Posts

Drives: Corvette Grand Sport
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogee View Post
I dont recommend a coating for wheels. In my experience, brake dust tends to stick to the wheels in a strange way that requires much more scrubbing than without a coating.

Also if you like Sonax Full Effect, try Nextzett Colortec. Same cleaning power but it actually suds.

This is where I was going with my track question. My wheels (face, barrel, and even the brake calipers) are Cquartz coated and it hasn't really done anything to keep them cleaner, IMO.
__________________
Now: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport
Past: 2011.5 M3 sedan ZCP
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 02:21 PM   #9
doogee
Captain
doogee's Avatar
Canada
212
Rep
805
Posts

Drives: '08 M3, '97 328is
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ancaster, ON, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
This is where I was going with my track question. My wheels (face, barrel, and even the brake calipers) are Cquartz coated and it hasn't really done anything to keep them cleaner, IMO.
It helps with hosing the brake dust off, but they still always need a good scrubbing to be clean.

I'll never coat my wheels again.
__________________
Appreciate 1
      09-27-2017, 12:07 PM   #10
Exclusivs
Lieutenant Colonel
Exclusivs's Avatar
No_Country
156
Rep
1,855
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: AZ

iTrader: (22)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogee View Post
I dont recommend a coating for wheels. In my experience, brake dust tends to stick to the wheels in a strange way that requires much more scrubbing than without a coating.

Also if you like Sonax Full Effect, try Nextzett Colortec. Same cleaning power but it actually suds.
Interesting point, exactly why I asked the question. Can you specify, what coating and what wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
This is where I was going with my track question. My wheels (face, barrel, and even the brake calipers) are Cquartz coated and it hasn't really done anything to keep them cleaner, IMO.
Who cares if clean on track But if helps clean up faster afterwards then why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogee View Post
It helps with hosing the brake dust off, but they still always need a good scrubbing to be clean.


I'll never coat my wheels again.
As expected - anyone who thinks a coating is a miracle solution to never having to clean a car again is in La La land.

I've put in work thus far and still plan to clay- post clay, feels odd leaving surface untreated - if not a coating, maybe a not gloss, BBS safe sealant - don't know yet thats why I ask.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 01:44 PM   #11
dparm
But doctor...I am Pagliacci.
dparm's Avatar
United_States
628
Rep
4,838
Posts

Drives: Corvette Grand Sport
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exclusivs View Post
As expected - anyone who thinks a coating is a miracle solution to never having to clean a car again is in La La land.

I've put in work thus far and still plan to clay- post clay, feels odd leaving surface untreated - if not a coating, maybe a not gloss, BBS safe sealant - don't know yet thats why I ask.

It does greatly reduce the frequency and overall effort required.

I don't see why sealants wouldn't be "BBS safe". It's just a painted wheel, no different than any other painted body panel on the car.
__________________
Now: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport
Past: 2011.5 M3 sedan ZCP
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 03:07 PM   #12
EnVe46
Second Lieutenant
EnVe46's Avatar
50
Rep
255
Posts

Drives: 02 bmw m3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Charlotte, NC

iTrader: (0)

Cquartz without a doubt the best option for glossiness and it's affordable. I have my GTS 359s coated without issue.

Great job cleaning them up OP!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 10:42 AM   #13
doogee
Captain
doogee's Avatar
Canada
212
Rep
805
Posts

Drives: '08 M3, '97 328is
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ancaster, ON, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exclusivs View Post
Interesting point, exactly why I asked the question. Can you specify, what coating and what wheels.
Apex ARC-8. Wheels shouldn't matter.

Cquartz UK
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2017, 11:25 AM   #14
Exclusivs
Lieutenant Colonel
Exclusivs's Avatar
No_Country
156
Rep
1,855
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: AZ

iTrader: (22)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
It does greatly reduce the frequency and overall effort required.

I don't see why sealants wouldn't be "BBS safe". It's just a painted wheel, no different than any other painted body panel on the car.
Truth, better safe then sorry. To me, coatings/sealants are in grand scheme of thing the new 5 hour energy of detailing supplies. Works well - but there is a new one on the market every couple months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnVe46 View Post
Cquartz without a doubt the best option for glossiness and it's affordable. I have my GTS 359s coated without issue.

Great job cleaning them up OP!
Thanks. In original post, specifically am searching for non gloss coating for these wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogee View Post
Apex ARC-8. Wheels shouldn't matter.

Cquartz UK
Of course wheels matter. Why would you purchase a matte finished wheel, to be turned gloss by a coating?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2017, 11:24 AM   #15
lorinzo
Captain
United_States
54
Rep
955
Posts

Drives: 2011 e90 M3; 2014 i3 rex
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (0)

Nice set.
Looking forward to seeing pics after installed.
__________________
| 2011 M3 Sedan | Le Mans Blue | M-DCT | ZC2 | ZCP | ZP3 | Moonroof | Enhanced Premium Sound | Dinan exhaust | Dinan software | Dinan pulley | Dinan intake | Dinan pedals | Bimmian LED interior | Lux H8 V3 | WeissLicht PY24W LED | 20% tint | IND reflectors | IND front grills | IND key hole cover | IND hood vents | IND M5 mirror covers | Reus Systems audio | Verstraβe shifter paddles | BBS LM 20x9 et 15 and 20x10.5 et 15 | Hankook Ventus V12 255/30/20 and 295/25/20 | Red BBS Racing lug nut kit | H&R Sport springs |
Appreciate 1
      10-01-2017, 12:05 PM   #16
Exclusivs
Lieutenant Colonel
Exclusivs's Avatar
No_Country
156
Rep
1,855
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: AZ

iTrader: (22)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorinzo View Post
Nice set.
Looking forward to seeing pics after installed.
No need see here

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1164610
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2017, 04:08 PM   #17
dparm
But doctor...I am Pagliacci.
dparm's Avatar
United_States
628
Rep
4,838
Posts

Drives: Corvette Grand Sport
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exclusivs View Post
Truth, better safe then sorry. To me, coatings/sealants are in grand scheme of thing the new 5 hour energy of detailing supplies. Works well - but there is a new one on the market every couple months.

Maybe...but just pick one and be done with it. If you are always waiting for "the next best thing", you'll never end up with anything.
__________________
Now: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport
Past: 2011.5 M3 sedan ZCP
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:39 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST