BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)

11-28-2012, 02:33 PM   #23
Amleto63
Commander
Italy
Rep
Drives: F10 520d Sedan

Great review!

Just to remember the two 0-points races in Spa and Suzuka for Alonso! He lost the championship there.
      11-28-2012, 02:43 PM   #24
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amleto63 View Post
Great review!

Just to remember the two 0-points races in Spa and Suzuka for Alonso! He lost the championship there.
Everyone shared same bad luck here and there this season.
Alonso crashed out twice, Vettel with a few Alternator and fueling problem, Hamilton retired twice and crashed out several times by others.
      11-29-2012, 06:41 AM   #25
Amleto63
Commander
Italy
Rep
Drives: F10 520d Sedan

Not yet sure Vettel is full worthy. Let's wait outcomes of the issue about some Vettel's tricky overtakings under yellow flag regime.
      11-29-2012, 08:28 AM   #26
Boostin FD
Bored all the time
United_States
Rep
Drives: Batmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amleto63 View Post
Not yet sure Vettel is full worthy. Let's wait outcomes of the issue about some Vettel's tricky overtakings under yellow flag regime.
FIA said it was fine... He did the right thing. He won't get penalty and the title stays.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 09:04 AM   #27
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
FIA deems Vettel pass legal, saying there is 'no case to answer'

Nothing to discuss...moving on...

Quote:
The FIA has told media outlets there is "no case to answer" amid questions over the legality of an overtaking move by Sebastian Vettel on Jean-Eric Vergne at the Brazilian Grand Prix. Nevertheles, Ferrari has asked for clarification from the governing body.

The move in question saw Vettel overtake Vergne's Toro Rosso while yellow warning lights were still illuminated in his cockpit and as he approached a green trackside light. The suggestion is that he may have overtaken in a yellow flag zone, which is illegal, although the FIA told Autosport a green flag was waving at a marshal post before the move took place. As a result the move was legitimate and outside the yellow flag zone and therefore it was not referred to the stewards.

Earlier on Thursday Ferrari said it was looking at footage of the overtaking move in the knowledge it had until Friday to file an appeal. However, the team revealed on Twitter that it has gone no further than asking for a clarification on the issue.

"Ferrari asked, by means of a letter, for a clarification from FIA regarding VET's overtaking move on VER during lap 4 of the Brazilian GP," the official @InsideFerrari account tweeted.

However, with the FIA saying there is no case to answer in the media and Ferrari not lodging an official protest, it is highly unlikely the issue will go any further.

The FIA director of communication, Norman Howell, told the Associated Press: "The incident wasn't reported to stewards in the first place because it didn't seem like there was a need to report it at the time. Now that Ferrari has sent us a letter asking for an explanation we will give it to them."
http://en.espnf1.com/brazil/motorsport/story/96706.html
      11-29-2012, 11:16 AM   #28
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Ferrari (and by default Alonso) is like a spoiled, over-compensating, mamma's-boy brat, who fake-dives in soccer and tries to bully his way around the schoolyard. Instead of going out like worthy foes, they leave the championship like cry-babies. This shouldn't shock coming from the team that would have preferred Alonso to be world champion on the back of Ferrari breaking Massa's gearbox seal. In any other sport they would have received penalties for that type of unsportsmanlike conduct.

If Ferrari concentrated half as much on improving the car instead of these pointless 'dirty tricks'... They may have a shot at the title again.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 11:34 AM   #29
jstegman
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i coupe

Garage List
I was fortunate enough to attend and it was an incredible venue and race. Being there, I felt proud that the US finally put together an appropriate "stage" for this great event. I took a video of the start which came out pretty well.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 12:33 PM   #30
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by johanness View Post
Ferrari (and by default Alonso) is like a spoiled, over-compensating, mamma's-boy brat, who fake-dives in soccer and tries to bully his way around the schoolyard. Instead of going out like worthy foes, they leave the championship like cry-babies. This shouldn't shock coming from the team that would have preferred Alonso to be world champion on the back of Ferrari breaking Massa's gearbox seal. In any other sport they would have received penalties for that type of unsportsmanlike conduct.

If Ferrari concentrated half as much on improving the car instead of these pointless 'dirty tricks'... They may have a shot at the title again.
+1000000 we see eye to eye on EVERYTHING!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 12:47 PM   #31
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Now I know why Alonso always say "we have the best team". I think he meant "we have the best legal team".
Didn't know Scuderia Ferrari changed their business model to legal consulting firm.
      11-29-2012, 02:37 PM   #32
jonasaurus
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 [Sold]

Initial concerns at the start of the season that tires were making races too much of a lottery dissipated once the 2nd half kicked off and the real WDC contenders emerged. Was happy to see Kimi take a win despite at the misfortune of Lewis. Disappointed in Mark Webber's lack of luck and lack of success in the 2nd half of the season. Finally congrats to Vettel for a well deserved win but a little bit disappointed Alonso wasn't able to pull off the WDC title. Looking forward to next season when I'd expect Vettel and Alonso to continue their tussle for the 2013 WDC. Oh and Hamilton better get used to potentially being less competitive
      11-29-2012, 03:33 PM   #33
five_timer
no turbo, no auto, no iDrive, no kidding
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Keep in mind that each year brings new surprises, new top teams and new struggling teams. Think of the Braun team a few years ago. Or just look at how dominant Red Bull was last year compared to this year, where they were often no better than other teams.

Hamilton could get lucky and be with a top team - or not. That's why they actually run 20 races, instead of just doing it all on a simulator.

Any word on Robert Kubica?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 06:05 PM   #34
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by five_timer View Post
Keep in mind that each year brings new surprises, new top teams and new struggling teams. Think of the Braun team a few years ago. Or just look at how dominant Red Bull was last year compared to this year, where they were often no better than other teams.

Hamilton could get lucky and be with a top team - or not. That's why they actually run 20 races, instead of just doing it all on a simulator.

Any word on Robert Kubica?
Last time I heard he will be going rallying.
At the moment he cannot sit in any single seater yet, due to his surgery and braces on his arm. He requires more room in the cockpit.
      11-29-2012, 07:50 PM   #35
raisemyrent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 428i xD GC

I think it would've been foolish for any team in any sport not to inquire as to the legality of the pass upon finding out that there was a possibility that a sanction went unapplied.
As for breaking the seal, I remember in 2000, Ferrari froze, or significantly cooled their refuelling rigs at Monza to mess with the volume to gain an ever so slight advantage over McLaren at their home race. This kind of stuff is how F1 has been for a while. Remember Prost and Senna? Talk about un-sportmanlike. Red Bull seems to have won because their car is quick, without being overtly aggressive. McLaren had a great car and somehow ended up 3rd. Ferrari tried everything they had, ran essentially only one driver, and narrowly missed out. Different teams, I guess.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 10:33 PM   #36
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Quote:
In any other sport they would have received penalties for that type of unsportsmanlike conduct.
Pretty much no other team in the paddock really had any issue with that incident. The rules allow it, and the only reason it was a benefit was because of the unique condition of the starting grid in Austin. Considering that Massa was a free pass card for Alonso regardless of when it happened.

Not to mention that it is a team sport, and Ferrari would have been under just as much scrutiny, maybe more, if they hadn't of done everything in their power.

Largely a non-issue, and if it was then the rules would be revised next season to cover it. (I've heard nothing suggesting that they will be.)
      11-30-2012, 12:33 AM   #37
johanness
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
Pretty much no other team in the paddock really had any issue with that incident. The rules allow it, and the only reason it was a benefit was because of the unique condition of the starting grid in Austin. Considering that Massa was a free pass card for Alonso regardless of when it happened.

Not to mention that it is a team sport, and Ferrari would have been under just as much scrutiny, maybe more, if they hadn't of done everything in their power.

Largely a non-issue, and if it was then the rules would be revised next season to cover it. (I've heard nothing suggesting that they will be.)
That's why I said "in any other sport". The FIA will continue on their path of inconsistency and editing the rules as they go along.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 01:08 AM   #38
ChrisAW
Rear Admiral
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
That's why I said "in any other sport". The FIA will continue on their path of inconsistency and making up the rules as they go along.
It was within the rules. I don't see the problem. I don't blame the FIA at all.
      11-30-2012, 01:55 AM   #39
johanness
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Fixed.

My point is, that behaviour wouldn't be readily accepted in many other sports. By the governing body OR the players.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 11:14 AM   #40
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
2012 Pirelli Formula One™ Statistics

Quote:
TYRES

• Total number of tyres provided for the season: Race tyres: 31,800 of which 22,500 dry tyres and 9,300 wet tyres plus an additional 6,600 for the tests (not including development tyres)

• Of which (for race tyres only): supersoft: 6 % / soft: 25 % / medium: 21 % / hard: 17 % / intermediate: 18 % / wet: 11 % / 2 % development tyres

• Total numbers of tyres used: Dry tyres: 21,400; wet tyres: 2,100

• Number of tyres recycled during 2012: All, i.e. 31,800 race tyres plus 6,600 test tyres

• Average life span of a dry compound this season: 180 km

• Average life span of a wet compound this season: 140 km

TRACKS, RACES AND TESTS

• Longest continuous energy input into a tyre: India (turn 10-11)

• Longest race of the year: Malaysia in 2hrs 44min 51.812s

• Shortest race of the year: Great Britain in 1 hr 25min 11.288s

• Most laps run on Pirelli tyres: Hard – Kobayashi (798); Medium – Senna (869); Soft – Ricciardo (1,012); Supersoft – Raikkonen (237); Intermediate – Alonso (145); Wet – Kobayashi (104)

• Highest top speed reached by a P Zero F1™ tyre: 248.241 kph (Hamilton / Italy Qualifying)

• Slowest top speed reached by a P Zero F1™ tyre: 161.828 kph (Schumacher / Monaco Qualifying)

• Most fastest laps in 2011: Sebastian Vettel (5 in race / 6 in qualifying)

• Distance covered by Pirelli’s Renault R30 test car in 2012: 7,012 kms

• Number of different test tracks visited by Pirelli staff this year (incl. private tests): 9

PIT STOPS

• Total number of pit stops for the year: 957 (of which 14 were a Drive Through and 2 a stop&go penalty)

• Total average number of stops per race: 47.9, i.e. 1.9 per driver

• Most pit stops in a race: 76 (Malaysia)

• Least pit stops in a race: 24 (United States)

• Fastest pit stop time: 2.31s (McLaren / Jenson Button at the German Grand Prix)

OVERTAKING

• Number of overtaking manoeuvres in 2012: 994 (not including Brazil)

• Most overtaking manoeuvres in a dry race: 90 at the 2012 Chinese Grand Prix

• Most overtaking manoeuvres in a wet race: 76 at the 2012 Malaysian Grand Prix

• Least overtaking manouevres in a dry race: 12 at the Monaco Grand Prix

OTHER INTERESTING NUMBERS

• Total kilometres driven by all the P Zero compounds in 2012 (races and tests): Hard – 101,692; Medium – 121,840; Soft – 123,270; Supersoft – 21,993; Intermediate – 13,770; Wet – 7,930

• Coldest track/ground temperatures Pirelli P Zero tyres have run: United States Grand Prix at 11 degrees Celsius (17.11.2012); coldest overall: Jerez winter testing at 0 degrees Celsius (10.02.2012)

• Hottest track/ground temperatures Pirelli P Zero tyres have run: Brazilian Grand Prix at 55 degrees Celsius (23.11.2012)

• Coldest air/ambient temperatures Pirelli P Zero tyres have run: United States Grand Prix at 4 degrees Celsius (17.11.2012); coldest overall: Jerez winter testing at -2 degrees Celsius (10.02.2012)

• Hottest air/ambient temperatures Pirelli P Zero tyres have run: Grand Prix of Europe at 37 degrees Celsius (21.06.2012)

• Amount of time spent downloading all tyre data on the RTS system this year (incl. tests): 92 hrs

• Number of track/air temperature taken by tyre fitter per race weekend: 124

• Total distance travelled by all F1™ tyres in 2012 (off-track): 216,967 kms

• Total number of tweets from Pirelli Media: 5,400

• Words written on Pirelli press releases in 2012: 79,744

• Total number of Pirelli recipe books produced (incl. translations): 10,000

PIRELLI F1™ AND ITS PEOPLE

• Total number of Pirelli people travelling to each race: 52

• Total number of nationalities within the Pirelli F1™ team: 10

• Average amount of hours spent by each Pirelli staff member on a plane this year: 192 hrs (or 8 days!)

• Number of Pirelli wristbands given out during the season in the paddock: 4,450

• Total number of hotel nights booked for the Pirelli team: 1,498

PIRELLI’S F1™ TRUCKS & HOSPITALITY

• Total amount of trucks at European races: 13

• Total average kilometres travelled by each Pirelli truck in 2012: 31,125 kms

• Numbers of meals served at the Pirelli F1™ hospitality (incl. tests): 24,132

• Number of coffees served by Pirelli hospitality during the season: 28,350

• Number of different pasta recipes cooked by Pirelli’s chef this year: 314

• Amount of mascarpone used for tiramisu and other dolci: 205 kgs

PIRELLI IN FORMULA ONE™ OVERALL (SINCE 1950)

• Races started: 242

• Wins: 83

• Pole positions: 86

• Podium places: 256

• Fastest laps: 90
http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/ww/en/ne...A2-statistics/
      12-02-2012, 12:51 AM   #41
CDM3DCT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Jet Black M3 DCT

I'm going to miss the cucumber next year, there just won't be enough comedic relief next season without him or his team....
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 08:13 AM   #42
erol_h
Registered
Rep
Drives: z4m

brazil was one of the best races ive seen made me jump out of my seat enough times.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 07:03 PM   #43
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDM3DCT View Post
I'm going to miss the cucumber next year, there just won't be enough comedic relief next season without him or his team....
I don't know about that. I've laughed more at Raikkonen than anything else. He is fucking gold.
      12-05-2012, 11:30 AM   #44
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post

I agree that it was within the rules (shoudln't be though), but it's not fair for everyone that was reshuffled.

Had a lot of respect for Alonso fighting until the last second, but my god I hate Ferrari. They really do remind me of the Italian soccer teams. What a bunch of divas (and divers)
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0