BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

07-31-2014, 09:03 PM   #1101
Killerfish2012
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335I, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
Nice video & driving. Great to see hands in the track video.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 01:20 AM   #1102
TheKosherStogie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 DCT AW/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
From what I've seen, when they repaved Cotton Corners a couple years ago-----immediately following that sectional repave, Cotton Corners was slower. Everyone was sliding around in Cotton Corners right after the repave. But a couple months later, the pavement fully "dried out" and people had laid some rubber down, and then it was great to run through there after that.

From that experience, I'd say that the repave of the whole track is going to be generally the same. And from what we're hearing from the Speed Ventures event, it seems to be the case. It sounds like people were sliding around quite a bit out there at the SV event.

My guess is by October, the track will be getting in good shape---the track will have cured, some rubber will be down on it and the weather will be more friendly so the track surface temp will be cooler for better grip, and the friendlier weather will be kinder to our engines which will keep our power levels up. At that point, people should start to improve on their previous Buttonwillow times.
seems faster due to some of the curbing being flatter which means you can cut corners more but i haven't been and don't know, just from what I've seen. but i remember wsir needed a few months to have the rubber laid down
BW C13 - 1:57:2
ACS - 1:49:6
WSIR - 1:30:6
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 12:20 PM   #1103
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46 M3+S62, E92 M3

E92 M3
Track: PIR (Portland International Raceway)
Fully optioned even with sunroof!
Stock everything but for GC camber plates, Cobalt XR-1 pads and BFG-R1
Best time is 1:28 dead. That is with rotors that almost exploded....cracks all the way through. I think with new rotors I could get down into the high 1:26 range as I was having brake 50-100 sooner in the two large braking zones.....loosing the brakes at times.

Track: The Ridge
Best time is 1:55.8 with the same set up. I have the least experience at this track so there is still time on the table.

BTW The car is not happy with this set up at PIR. Too much tire for both the stock suspension and brakes. It seems to work okay at the Ridge where the demands for braking is not nearly as high.

For perspective I run 1:22 dead (PIR) with a NASA TT3 spec e46 M3........could probably run 1:50 at the Ridge.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 11:22 PM   #1104
USCTrojanMan29
Captain
Rep
Drives: Purple People Eater

Car: 997.2 GT3 RS
Track: Thunderhill 5-mile course
Best Lap Time: 3:33.1
Brakes: PFC Rotors with Endless MA45B pads
Suspension: Full monoball suspension with Ohlin D&T coilovers
Tire (Street/Race): scrub Hoosier R6s (12+ heat cycles)

First time running this configuration so there's still a good bit of time that I left on the table. Maybe a 3:25 is doable with fresh R6s and better lines.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 12:17 AM   #1105
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

^and with TC off
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 01:10 AM   #1106
USCTrojanMan29
Captain
Rep

Quote:
^and with TC off
The nannies barely come on with the R6s, more with the NT01s/RA1s. But with the kind of speed I'm at with the R6s, I'll play it safe.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 02:12 AM   #1107
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep

Barely? Sure, buddy
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 02:24 AM   #1108
USCTrojanMan29
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Barely? Sure, buddy
Barely because I've only run one new set of R6s and this scrub set so I haven't pushed them to their limits yet hence very little loss of traction. I wasn't going to experiment with nannies off on a brand new track layout like the 5-mile course. I'll continue to turn them off at tracks that I'm comfortable (Buttonwillow and Chuckwalla).
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 02:42 AM   #1109
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep

I went DSC off full-time exactly 12 months after I started tracking and, one month after that, did an epic trip to 3 NorCal tracks (Thunderhill, Sonoma and Laguna Seca on Fri, Sat & Sun, respectively) in mid-June 2012 and kept DSC off. Imagine, 3 new tracks I'm running for the very first time, only 13 months into tracking, and driving them with DSC off. Were my lap times great? No.

Not necessarily that you should too, but I'm glad I decided to focus on driving and not get attached to artificial lap times.

Last edited by OC3; 09-08-2014 at 02:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 02:57 AM   #1110
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep

I say artificial because, for example, I've seen video in June of an M3 at Thunderhill followed & video'd by another car and, as said M3 tracks out while carrying some speed thru sweeping corners, that M3 is somewhere at mid-track - i.e. it's nowhere near the far trackout (rumble strip) section.

With TC off, there's no way to be on the gas as you exit corners and wind up at mid-track (which clearly means that the steering wheel wasn't unwound fully) instead of far outside, without the car getting all sideways (unless the car was in beginner's group/pace). What was shown in that video was a M3 putting down decent lap times purely due to artificial intervention despite the driver not having a clue as to what he was doing wrong (or, despite the driver exhibiting bad habit).

Intervention!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 09:13 AM   #1111
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46 M3+S62, E92 M3

(sorry i don't know Porsche traction control) I say leave the last line of nannies on. Disable the first line that interfere. I have a buddy that ran with the last line on and it allowed a lot of movement but prevented spins........saved him from totaling his car. Even then a GT3 front bumper is 8K unpainted!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 10:05 AM   #1112
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeBMW View Post
(sorry i don't know Porsche traction control) I say leave the last line of nannies on. Disable the first line that interfere. I have a buddy that ran with the last line on and it allowed a lot of movement but prevented spins........saved him from totaling his car. Even then a GT3 front bumper is 8K unpainted!
Agree with this. There is nothing to win and a lot to lose on hpde events. Dont know about porsche, but we have mdm mode(euro mdm is fantastic).
Turn nannies off, and bad things will happen sooner or later. Have seen totaled cars too many times. Most of them were running with nannies off.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 02:49 PM   #1113
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep

Well, there's nothing to win in HPDE regardless of whether TC on or off. But, absolutely, a lot to lose. And, I'm by no means insisting that everyone turn off TC. Heck, I don't make their car payments.

But, to see people on TC/PASM/MDM boast about lap times as if it's all driver...

Also, as fun and satisfying as tracking is compared to streeting and hardparking only (i.e. using less than 50% of what these cars are capable of), the differential in that fun/satisfactory factor between TC off and on is further substantial. They have no idea of the elevated fun factor in the interaction between the driver, the car and the track. With MDM/PASM, there's a big piece missing in that equation (& lines don't look right, etc).

Besides, quit chasing lap times if you aren't capable (the car & mods thereon might be) and quit insisting on being in Red group if you aren't ready, and you won't be wrecking cars.

Last edited by OC3; 09-08-2014 at 02:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 03:20 PM   #1114
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Well, there's nothing to win in HPDE regardless of whether TC on or off. But, absolutely, a lot to lose. And, I'm by no means insisting that everyone turn off TC. Heck, I don't make their car payments.

But, to see people on TC/PASM/MDM boast about lap times as if it's all driver...

Also, as fun and satisfying as tracking is compared to streeting and hardparking only (i.e. using less than 50% of what these cars are capable of), the differential in that fun/satisfactory factor between TC off and on is further substantial. They have no idea of the elevated fun factor in the interaction between the driver, the car and the track. With MDM/PASM, there's a big piece missing in that equation (& lines don't look right, etc).

Besides, quit chasing lap times if you aren't capable (the car & mods thereon might be) and quit insisting on being in Red group if you aren't ready, and you won't be wrecking cars.
+1

i'm trying to learn how to actually drive well and control the damn car. laptimes getting better are a side effect of building my skill. i still have a shit ton to learn but most recently, i get more joy letting the car slide and catching it with throttle to the floor than doing hot laps for the sake of times....(there are plenty of folks on here who are very skilled at driving and i am trying to catch you guys!)

i remember once at brp with sv, some dude there on his 1st track day in his bone stock m3 was running 2:03s and asked the organizer if he could jump to green/red (when asked he said it was his 1st track day and got denied of course)....i was behind him and holy hell did the dsc (or mdm) gods save him...he should have crashed into a wall or hit the dirt hard on almost every turn.

for now, no need for me to post lap times as they are horrible

but i do reach my attainable goals for each event without trying to chase a time so i'm getting better and that's all that counts right now
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 08:07 PM   #1115
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep

On a second thought, @USCTrojanMan29 yea man, perhaps leave TC/PASM on, 'lest this happens...

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 08:59 PM   #1116
USCTrojanMan29
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I went DSC off full-time exactly 12 months after I started tracking and, one month after that, did an epic trip to 3 NorCal tracks (Thunderhill, Sonoma and Laguna Seca on Fri, Sat & Sun, respectively) in mid-June 2012 and kept DSC off. Imagine, 3 new tracks I'm running for the very first time, only 13 months into tracking, and driving them with DSC off. Were my lap times great? No.

Not necessarily that you should too, but I'm glad I decided to focus on driving and not get attached to artificial lap times.
My first track event was May 2013 (since my last track day in 2007) followed up by my 2nd one in July at BW (that thought me to skip the summers) so I have about a year under my belt as well. POC/PCA (who I mostly track with now) do not tolerate going off and will boot you after you go off 3 times so that's another reason why I don't turn them off. For me, there's way more downside with turning them off than keeping them on. At the kind of speed the RS can get up to the track, even the smallest driver error could result in very bad things happening like being seriously injured (cars can be replaced). I'm not ashamed to say it, but the car scares me sometimes and I'm glad to have the nannies as a safety net. I wouldn't be surprised if I put the RS out to pasture and pick up something cheaper to track like a Cayman at which time I'll be more apt to turn the nannies off.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 09:12 PM   #1117
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep

^Sounds like a plan!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 12:19 AM   #1118
USCTrojanMan29
Captain
Rep

Quote:
On a second thought, @USCTrojanMan29 yea man, perhaps leave TC/PASM on, 'lest this happens...

Now that is scary as hell.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 12:27 AM   #1119
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCTrojanMan29
Quote:

My first track event was May 2013 (since my last track day in 2007) followed up by my 2nd one in July at BW (that thought me to skip the summers) so I have about a year under my belt as well. POC/PCA (who I mostly track with now) do not tolerate going off and will boot you after you go off 3 times so that's another reason why I don't turn them off. For me, there's way more downside with turning them off than keeping them on. At the kind of speed the RS can get up to the track, even the smallest driver error could result in very bad things happening like being seriously injured (cars can be replaced). I'm not ashamed to say it, but the car scares me sometimes and I'm glad to have the nannies as a safety net. I wouldn't be surprised if I put the RS out to pasture and pick up something cheaper to track like a Cayman at which time I'll be more apt to turn the nannies off.
you can always go slower in the meantime to learn. turning off TC doesnt automatically mean you will spin out. driving past your skill does though.

if you haven tried yet, i would slow it down for a few events and learn how to feel a slide and recover from it and gradually get faster.

who knows? like i have, you might just have more fun going slower but being in total control than before just going real fast. and when you catch that first oh shit moment i guarantee you will be laughing and smiling the whole time! (do it at tracks with no walls first we are lucky to be in california )

i wish i had a car of your caliber i would be sliding that shit everywhere and also be freaking fast on the straights!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 12:46 AM   #1120
jbraslins
Latvian Gangstah
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 Melbourne Red 6MT

The lap times thread on F80 forum is a little dead so far. Got some lap times. Hope you don't mind me posting here for discussion sake, plus I need some track ppl to chat with:

VIR Full
2:12.99 with 2:10.6 virtual best
F80 M3 DCT, Passive Suspension, DSC OFF
Everything stock except:
275/35R18 Toyo RA1s in all 4 corners on 18x10 Apex EC-7s
Carbotech XP12/XP10, RBF 600

Need more camber

[SOLD] 2002 TiAg E46 M3 manual
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 12:53 AM   #1121
USCTrojanMan29
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkimM3r View Post
you can always go slower in the meantime to learn. turning off TC doesnt automatically mean you will spin out. driving past your skill does though.

if you haven tried yet, i would slow it down for a few events and learn how to feel a slide and recover from it and gradually get faster.

who knows? like i have, you might just have more fun going slower but being in total control than before just going real fast. and when you catch that first oh shit moment i guarantee you will be laughing and smiling the whole time! (do it at tracks with no walls first we are lucky to be in california )

i wish i had a car of your caliber i would be sliding that shit everywhere and also be freaking fast on the straights!
Yeah, I ran nannies fully off at Chuckwalla for a few sessions running CCW...I slowed down by 10-12 seconds a lap to feel comfortable. I nailed that slow turn after the front straight where the car rotated perfectly as I was modulating the gas just right. I've driven both a E46 and E92 M3 and can tell you that the nannies on the 997 GT3s are fairly liberal and do allow for some slid angle before kicking in. It's kind of a like the safer version of US MDM mode. Taking stability control off and keeping traction control on is like driving an aggressive version of Euro MDM mode.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 12:56 AM   #1122
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCTrojanMan29
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkimM3r View Post

Yeah, I ran nannies fully off at Chuckwalla for a few sessions running CCW...I slowed down by 10-12 seconds a lap to feel comfortable. I nailed that slow turn after the front straight where the car rotated perfectly as I was modulating the gas just right.
Appreciate 0