BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-06-2006, 05:22 PM   #1
BellasBmw
If love is the answer,please rephrase the question
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tit Silver 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Shin Splints..?

Hey guys

I wanted to know if there was a way to get rid of shin splints effectively? I started running consistently starting about 2-3 months ago, i usually try to run about 3-4x a week for a distance of 3 +/- miles. I will usually stop once or twice in btween to stretch/walk/drink water. Anyway, i was starting to become really sore, and i thought it was my calves, but i noticed the pain was coming from the side/front of my shins. I try to run on grass and i just bought some really good running shoes. They are the Asics GT-2110.

Anyway, i would hate to stop running cause i noticed that it has toned up my body, plus running at the gym is so boring. If im at the gym, ill use the ellpitcal aka ski machine for about an hour so its less harsh on my joints. However, after running this morning, my inner right ankle is very sore and the bone is swollen. I have no idea what the heck is going on!? Maybe i should wear an ankle brace?

Anyway, if you guys have any ideas on how to prevent/relieve shin splints please let me know! thanks!
      08-06-2006, 05:35 PM   #2
aapriadi
Colonel
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 AW 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellasBmw
Hey guys

I wanted to know if there was a way to get rid of shin splints effectively? I started running consistently starting about 2-3 months ago, i usually try to run about 3-4x a week for a distance of 3 +/- miles. I will usually stop once or twice in btween to stretch/walk/drink water. Anyway, i was starting to become really sore, and i thought it was my calves, but i noticed the pain was coming from the side/front of my shins. I try to run on grass and i just bought some really good running shoes. They are the Asics GT-2110.

Anyway, i would hate to stop running cause i noticed that it has toned up my body, plus running at the gym is so boring. If im at the gym, ill use the ellpitcal aka ski machine for about an hour so its less harsh on my joints. However, after running this morning, my inner right ankle is very sore and the bone is swollen. I have no idea what the heck is going on!? Maybe i should wear an ankle brace?

Anyway, if you guys have any ideas on how to prevent/relieve shin splints please let me know! thanks!

bella, i think you should go to the doctor or hospital and have it checked. the last thing you want is an internal injury, these kinda things can be serious. hope all will be well for you
      08-06-2006, 05:48 PM   #3
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
lol running shoes... i run on grass with kleets... haha hella funny when u see people get sniped on fields

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2006, 05:53 PM   #4
BellasBmw
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by just4kickz
lol running shoes... i run on grass with kleets... haha hella funny when u see people get sniped on fields
I was a soccer player, i know all about the cleats! lol

Anyway, i guess i will Ice my ankle and hopefully it will go down, but it has a throbbing pain. Its right below my inner ankle bone.

Anyway, my shins hurt whenever i start my run, so if i stop to walk a little , they go away, then when i start back up.. the first 2 mins are painful. Then i get into the swing of things, and they lessen up. But it sucks!
      08-06-2006, 06:39 PM   #5
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

part of it might be that you are working out your calf muscles too much when you run. This effectively pulls more on the muscles in the front of your lower leg. You can strengthen those muscles by doing toe lifts with weights...

Im no physical therapist, but its usually an opposing muscle that causes the strain and eventually the pain... For me, I have tight hamstrings and upper abs... The combination of those two pull my back muscles in two different directions, giving me back pains... So I strengthen the back muscles, and stretch the abs and hamstrings. This works for me so far...
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2006, 07:13 PM   #6
blke90man
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i Sport Line

I would go with Asics Kayano instead of the 2110. It will give you more cushion and more support. They are lighter shoes and they have a biomorphic fit so the shoe feels like a sock on your feet. Also, I would try an aftermarket insole. The insoles in running shoes really provide little support for your heel cup, which is what takes most of the impact when you are running. If you pull out your insoles you will see that they are nothing but a thin peice of foam that will break down in about a week.

I would go to your local sporting good's store and get a pair of Superfeet Orthodics. Super feet is the only over the counter insole that has a rear foot control point, which helps control over-pronation keeping your feet properly aligned as you step. They have mid foot control points as well which stabilizes the mid foot, keeping your entire foot stable as you run, creating less muscle fatigue. Also, they soften heel shock due to the deep heel bed, letting the fat pad in your heel work for you more efficiently.

You want to get the green ones and it is going to feel different, even maybe a little uncomfortable for the first few days of wearing them, that's normal. Superfeet has a 60 day money garauntee as well, so if they don't work out you can take them back to the store you bought them from and they will refund your money. But they really are an amazing insole and after using them my shinsplints went away.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2006, 07:22 PM   #7
wrestleSBA
Private
Rep
Drives: 325i

Bella,

I worked in the running shoe industry for a few years and was the technical / biomechanical person at a running specific store.

Shin splints can be caused be a couple of different things but the most common is the pronation, or way that the foot rotates from heal to toe, rate of the foot. If you foot does not follow the typical path it will put added strain on different muscles / bones of the body from the foot to the lower back. This can be corrected (to an extent) by wearing the proper shoes. I can't actually diagnois this from here without watching you and preferably looking at some of your older running shoes.

The Asics GT-2110 is indeed a great shoe. However it is built for an over-pronator, that is someone whose foot tends to roll inwardly more than the ideal motion. Over-pronation is very common amongst runners and therefore over-pronators shoes tend to dominate the market. However, knowing your body type you are just as likely to be under-pronating, rolling more towards the outside, as you are over-pronating. I say this because in my experience many of the smaller bodied females tend to under-pronate (some people will call this supinating). Not to mention that shin splints are a very common problem with people that under-pronate (because of the way it strains the muscles) but you can get it from either type of pronation. It will just change where it is you feel the pain, because it is pulling in different areas. I can definitely understand your pain because I struggle with shin splints myself (because I under-pronate).

Has the pain gotten worse since you got your new shoes? If so that would also lend me to think that you under-pronate because the GT-2110 would have been trying to force your foot to roll more towards the outside (which would be good for an over-pronator) only making the problem worse if you do under-pronate.

Ok now that I have rattled all that off I would highly recommend that you go take your butt to a running specific store and carry a pair of your older, worn down running shoes with you so that they can look at the tread wear. They should also at least watch you take a few strides and some of the high end stores will even video-analysis your stride (overkill and unnecessary in my opinion). Of course if you want a quick and easy solution take a couple pictures of the soles of your old running shoes and post them here and I will try to analyze them myself. I can even help tell you what shoes you want to look for if you need advice there too.
      08-06-2006, 07:24 PM   #8
BellasBmw
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestleSBA
Bella,

I worked in the running shoe industry for a few years and was the technical / biomechanical person at a running specific store.

Shin splints can be caused be a couple of different things but the most common is the pronation, or way that the foot rotates from heal to toe, rate of the foot. If you foot does not follow the typical path it will put added strain on different muscles / bones of the body from the foot to the lower back. This can be corrected (to an extent) by wearing the proper shoes. I can't actually diagnois this from here without watching you and preferably looking at some of your older running shoes.

The Asics GT-2110 is indeed a great shoe. However it is built for an over-pronator, that is someone whose foot tends to roll inwardly more than the ideal motion. Over-pronation is very common amongst runners and therefore over-pronators shoes tend to dominate the market. However, knowing your body type you are just as likely to be under-pronating, rolling more towards the outside, as you are over-pronating. I say this because in my experience many of the smaller bodied females tend to under-pronate (some people will call this supinating). Not to mention that shin splints are a very common problem with people that under-pronate (because of the way it strains the muscles) but you can get it from either type of pronation. It will just change where it is you feel the pain, because it is pulling in different areas. I can definitely understand your pain because I struggle with shin splints myself (because I under-pronate).

Has the pain gotten worse since you got your new shoes? If so that would also lend me to think that you under-pronate because the GT-2110 would have been trying to force your foot to roll more towards the outside (which would be good for an over-pronator) only making the problem worse if you do under-pronate.

Ok now that I have rattled all that off I would highly recommend that you go take your butt to a running specific store and carry a pair of your older, worn down running shoes with you so that they can look at the tread wear. They should also at least watch you take a few strides and some of the high end stores will even video-analysis your stride (overkill and unnecessary in my opinion). Of course if you want a quick and easy solution take a couple pictures of the soles of your old running shoes and post them here and I will try to analyze them myself. I can even help tell you what shoes you want to look for if you need advice there too.
WOW, where were you when i bought my shoes?! Well anyway, i would hate to return my shoes ..etc. They are comfortable, and they helped a little when i ran. But, im sure they arent as good as they could be. Anyway, ill check it out and see what i find
      08-06-2006, 07:27 PM   #9
wrestleSBA
Private
Rep
Drives: 325i

Quote:
WOW, where were you when i bought my shoes?! Well anyway, i would hate to return my shoes ..etc. They are comfortable, and they helped a little when i ran. But, im sure they arent as good as they could be. Anyway, ill check it out and see what i find
LOL,

Sorry Bella I got out of that industry about 5 years ago now. Not to mention the fact that I was doing this here in TN . Of course the important thing is to find someone who knows what they are doing (and then that you listen to them, half the time that was the hardest thing... convincing people to listen even when they knew you were right).

I can understand not wanting to return them... I hate returning things too. And it is a great shoe, the question is if it is really right for you. Look into it and I will offer any advice that I can.
      08-06-2006, 07:33 PM   #10
BiggieJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335 ZSPZPPOPP

Quote:
Bella,

Bella,

i am the director of shin splintology at revell college at the University of California, San Diego....haha sheesh i was just going to say just take it easy and run on grass but yeah...whatever he said!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2006, 07:51 PM   #11
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggieJ
Bella,

i am the director of shin splintology at revell college at the University of California, San Diego....haha sheesh i was just going to say just take it easy and run on grass but yeah...whatever he said!
Lol. Just goes to show you can find out anything in this forum. Who would have known we have shin splintologists here. Heh.
      08-06-2006, 11:11 PM   #12
golfpro
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

i started running about 3 weeks ago about 3 miles every other day, i plan to get up to 8 or 9 miles to get in shape, im still young only 23 but i went to one of those shoe stores where they analyze your stride. I highly suggest this. I looked online for shoes before i went to the store and just planned on buyin plain old "running sneakers" but it was much more complicated than this (as we all now know). they will analyze where on your sole your feet hit the ground, the width of the arch of your foot, and your leg structure (stride whether it curves in, out, or straight), anyways i run with these new shoes on sidewalks and I have no problems. go see these people, its not as easy as i had initially thought
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2006, 11:26 PM   #13
findtom
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E60 545i

Garage List
2005 545i  [0.00]
Quote:
Bella,

This forum never ceases to amaze me.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2006, 11:32 PM   #14
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i MSport

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
I spent the last 11 years in the military as a physical therapy assistant. My last assigment was at Ft Jackson, SC where recruits come for basic training and advanced individual training. The Physical therapy clinic I was in charge of saw more than 24,000 soldiers every year on average. The shin splints are a common occurance for both male and female. Females were more prone.
WrestleSBA already covered the shoes which are very important but I want to address what to do now. Stop running altogether! You need to stretch the shins lightly until the soreness goes away and then follow by ice for 20 mins and 2-3 times and 3-5 times a day (elevate your legs above your heart). We used the R.I.C.E Rest, Ice, Compression, and elevation.
Do not use heat even thought it may feel better the ice is bettere at dissapating fluid buildup we call swelling. You may have developed stress fractures as a result of the running. X-rays can help determine if you have those but a bone scan is the only way to be sure. Stress fractures will make the bone appear darker in areas that are affected. The usual course of action for stress fracture is no impact activity for 6-8 weeks. In your case without knowing how bad it is, listen to your body and continue once the pain is gone. Maintain a health diet and stop smoking as it causes poor healing. If you continue to run, you could further injure yourself and make the stress fractures worse and could eventually cause a break in the bone.
Once you have determined that the pain is completely gone you can start light walking and progressing to running again. Have someone press on your shins with their thumbs and if you feel no pain then you can start back training. Now I'm not talking about digging into the bone but firm pressure. If you feel pain then of course you are not ready. Some things to do while you are recovering. You can do light walking/biking/swimming, stretching and RICE before and after a workout or exercising. The exercises are to maintain your cardiovascular fitness. No impact exercises!

Stretching the shins lightly for 30 sec hold for 3 reps. Here is an example of an assisted stretch http://www.drkiper.com/ShinSplint.html

Can't find a good pic so I will have to tell you. You can stand or lay on your side and put your leg behind you and grab your toes. You know you are doing this right if you feel the stretch in your shins.

A good exercise for your shins is to do heel raises. You can start by sitting in a chair and then rasing your heels off the ground. Too easy and no pain try standing up and use a step or phone book. With both feet or toes at the edge, raise your heels up and then let them lower down as far as you can go. Use the wall or something stable like a chair to hold on. Once this is easy progress to a one leg heel raise. Most gyms have this machine for future strengething.

I will find a walk to run program that you can begin once you heal.

These are stretches that you need to do to for the lower legs in general.http://www.halhigdon.com/15Ktraining/Stretch.htm

Here is some info on stress fractures. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/fact/thr_r...20/%20Exercise

Scroll down to pic#4 to see stress fractures of the shins. The dark spots are the stress fracture areas.

If you follow my advice, you will get better. Go to a running shoe store that specializes in just running shoes and see if they are able to evaluate the way you run and determine your foot type and types of shoes you need. Look are not always the best as in this case but there are nice shoes out there. Hope this helps!
      08-06-2006, 11:36 PM   #15
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Here is the walk to run program.

Walk-RunProgression(Distance)[1].pdf
      08-07-2006, 02:12 AM   #16
BellasBmw
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Wow thanks for all the advice, who knew posting such a random topic would get great responses!

Man i think im gonna have to consult all you guys before making any big decisions ha ha.

But my ankle is in pain, and that bone is sticking out, however, my left ankle is normal. I dont know what it is, its not miserable, but i def notice there is a slight throbbing pain. I guess tomorrow ill just take it easier
      08-07-2006, 02:18 AM   #17
BiggieJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335 ZSPZPPOPP

Quote:
Wow thanks for all the advice, who knew posting such a random topic would get great responses!

Man i think im gonna have to consult all you guys before making any big decisions ha ha.

But my ankle is in pain, and that bone is sticking out, however, my left ankle is normal. I dont know what it is, its not miserable, but i def notice there is a slight throbbing pain. I guess tomorrow ill just take it easier

ummm yeah...bones are not supposed to stick out. that red stuff gushing out might be blood... it sounds like you might of sprained an ankle. well at least you can now smoke for medical reasons, if you know what im sayin'
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2006, 02:34 AM   #18
BellasBmw
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggieJ
ummm yeah...bones are not supposed to stick out. that red stuff gushing out might be blood... it sounds like you might of sprained an ankle. well at least you can now smoke for medical reasons, if you know what im sayin'
Hahaha, yeah ive already taken care of the smoking part. Im not sure what i did cause i didnt feel it running but when i got home i noticed it hurt. I know you all say to stop running, take it easy, and walk.. but im not that type of person. I have to run, i have to push myself, i have to do something active..and i feel like now that i got into the hang of it, i dont wanna stop. But it hurts ha ha
      08-07-2006, 02:44 AM   #19
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:

When you say bone, do you mean the round ball on the inner foot? That is the end of the fibula and can appear to be big because of swelling. If that is not it then which one? http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...&ct=image&cd=3

Many ankle injuries involve the fibula usually from turning the foot inward. If that is the bone then ice for 30 minutes while elevated and then get an ankle wrap and try to wrap it yourself. Compression good to prevent swelling from all over. Continue to walk on the ankle unless you cannot. Walking on the ankle is a good thing and you will be able to prevent anymore swelling with weight bearing and the motion is "lotion" for your ankle and keeping it well lubricated on the inside as well as dissapate swelling from your ankle to other parts of your body. Lay down and cross the bad ankle over your opposite knee to create elevation and picture your big toe as a pen and perform ankle alphabet exercises by moving your ankle around to draw the letters in the air. This is a good exercise to keep your ankle mobile sense immobilization is bad and will only make matters worse. Do this a couple of times a day followed by ice. Keep doing this until you are able to walk normal again.
      08-07-2006, 02:47 AM   #20
BellasBmw
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
OK ill try to describe where the pain is..

Right foot. Inner part of my ankle. Right underneath the main bone, there is an area that is sore and its more pronounced than my left foot. So thats why im assuming its swollen.
      08-07-2006, 02:52 AM   #21
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Hahaha, yeah ive already taken care of the smoking part. Im not sure what i did cause i didnt feel it running but when i got home i noticed it hurt. I know you all say to stop running, take it easy, and walk.. but im not that type of person. I have to run, i have to push myself, i have to do something active..and i feel like now that i got into the hang of it, i dont wanna stop. But it hurts ha ha
Now don't be stubborn! I use to keep a box of tissue for soldiers like you. I would have to yell at them for not listening and because I had to take them out of training and they could not graduate with their platoon. You will only make it worse and that will lead to more problems and a longer recovery. Once you start having ankle problems you will be proned to have reoccuring injuries if no preventive measure are taken. Same thing with the shins. Preventive measures are the key! You can still exercise but with no impact. You can still ride a bike and swimming is harder since you utilize more muscles. So you didn't turn your ankle or fall? Could be the way your foot is when you strike the ground. That could definately cause you pain on the inside if your foot is turned in and you keep pounding the pavement.
      08-07-2006, 02:57 AM   #22
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
OK ill try to describe where the pain is..

Right foot. Inner part of my ankle. Right underneath the main bone, there is an area that is sore and its more pronounced than my left foot. So thats why im assuming its swollen.
You also have tendons that run around and under that bone. They help to stabilize the ankle and keep you from falling on your ass. You probably just over did it since there is no mention of falling. The combination of the 2 will cause much swelling but you can prevent your ankle from looking like an elephant foot with ice and elevate. The ankle alphabet exercises will greatly improve motion and reduce swelling. Overuse injuries are very common especially with the training regime that you had. Follow the run to walk program. It works! That bone sticking out does protrude some as it is the end of the fibula. Compare the right foot to the left. If they don't look similar then something is abnormal.