BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

01-22-2009, 06:26 PM   #1
Cyclenirvana
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan

Opinions on a new M3

Ok guys, need a new daily driver. After having test driven practically everything, I have finally settled on the M3 sedan. Need 4 doors, decent trunk, fold down rear seats (cold weather package), and I will use the base rack (yes, even on a M3) for transporting my bicycles.

Color: I think I favor the interlagos blue with silver (not extended) leather interior. I buy gray and silver cars all the time...need something different??

Carbon fiber leather vs. brushed aluminum trim? My current cars have aluminum, which I really like but the carbon leather seems more unique to the M3 which I like...thoughts?

DCT vs 6MT? I recently drove a M3 coupe with the DCT and was very impressed! I like the dual clutch transmission that Audis and VWs use. And these dual clutch transmissions are much more friendly around town than the F1 transmission that Ferrari uses. Have 2 other cars with 6MT...if this was not the case I would not even consider the DCT....but it is really cool. It allows you to really ring out the high rpms in this car!

My only reservation with the M3 has been the fact that for the last 15 years I have had AWD cars for my daily driver--Subaru Outback, 2001 X5, and, currently Cayenne Turbo....not sure this is really needed with the all the traction and stability controls/aids on current vehicles. Thoughts on using your M3 as a daily driver in the winter?

Would appreciate any of your thoughts. I have been reading this forum and found it extremely helpful, especially the pictures section of the various exterior colors.

Thanks in advance,
Scott
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2009, 06:35 PM   #2
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Le mans blue
silver or fox red
carbon leather
6mt unless you plan to do serious racing or commute in a lot of traffic then dct

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2009, 06:39 PM   #3
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Interlagos with Silver interior is one of the best looking combos, pair that with leather CF trim and you got a winner. Of course, I'm biased.

DCT is good when you are in serious traffic or you work 24 hour shifts. I don't want to burn my clutch driving home after overnight call.
      01-22-2009, 09:07 PM   #4
09E92M34ME
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

best to make your own decision
09 E92 M3,AW/FR. MODS:Performane Kidney Grills,Side Gills,Exhaust Tips,BMW Performance Pedals,359 Satin Black GTS Wheels,275/35/19R & 255/35/19F PSS's,Dinan Stage I Suspension,Macht Schnell Spacers 12mmF,5mmR,Rear Fogs,Euphoria 6k,LCI Tails,LUX v3,OEM IND Painted Alpine White CF Performance Spoiler, Front Splitters, and Front Reflectors,Gloss Black Hood Vents,M Performance Steering Wheel.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2009, 09:15 PM   #5
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

i drive my m3 all the time right now and with good winter tires it does very well in the snow... the only thing that is stopping the m3 from being a true daily driver for winter is the fact that the car rides a little low so when u have a huge amount of snow that just came down, you'll likely have a hard time getting around town until all the snow has been cleared.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2009, 09:36 PM   #6
in13
Private
Rep
Drives: 330i

What part of NC are you in? Unless you are in the Boone area, do you really need AWD?

I like the Interlagos/Silver/CF combo....Lemans/silver/CF would be good too. I test drove an e92 Lemans/black extended/CF...and that combo looked great too.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2009, 08:30 AM   #7
Cyclenirvana
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by in13 View Post
What part of NC are you in? Unless you are in the Boone area, do you really need AWD?

I like the Interlagos/Silver/CF combo....Lemans/silver/CF would be good too. I test drove an e92 Lemans/black extended/CF...and that combo looked great too.
I live in Winston-Salem...sooo, I am sure that I don't need it. Just one of those paranoid things some of us think about. To answer your question, I am sure that I don't need it. When you are thinking about a rear wheel drive sports car as your daily driver and you have driven AWD for at least 15 years in this capacity, you tend to get a little hesitant...I have a feeling that I will have no regrets. I had something similar in the Lemans blue with a X5 a few years ago...really like it but would like to try something different. Thanks for your comments.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2009, 08:32 AM   #8
Cyclenirvana
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09E92M34ME View Post
best to make your own decision
I agree and will. Just interested in the opinion of those who have already purchased the vehicle. I have not seen the carbon fiber leather in person so curious how it looks. Also, just wanted some opinions on the DCT vs. 6MT in those drivers who have had the DCT for a while. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2009, 08:33 AM   #9
Cyclenirvana
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal red View Post
i drive my m3 all the time right now and with good winter tires it does very well in the snow... the only thing that is stopping the m3 from being a true daily driver for winter is the fact that the car rides a little low so when u have a huge amount of snow that just came down, you'll likely have a hard time getting around town until all the snow has been cleared.
Great. Gives me some confidence to know that a Montreal driver is using a
M3 as a daily driver. Will be in Montreal to give a lecture at a conference so looking forward to visiting this great city.
Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2009, 03:20 PM   #10
NPTM3
Private
Rep
Drives: for fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclenirvana View Post
Ok guys, need a new daily driver. After having test driven practically everything, I have finally settled on the M3 sedan. Need 4 doors, decent trunk, fold down rear seats (cold weather package), and I will use the base rack (yes, even on a M3) for transporting my bicycles.

Color: I think I favor the interlagos blue with silver (not extended) leather interior. I buy gray and silver cars all the time...need something different??

Carbon fiber leather vs. brushed aluminum trim? My current cars have aluminum, which I really like but the carbon leather seems more unique to the M3 which I like...thoughts?

DCT vs 6MT? I recently drove a M3 coupe with the DCT and was very impressed! I like the dual clutch transmission that Audis and VWs use. And these dual clutch transmissions are much more friendly around town than the F1 transmission that Ferrari uses. Have 2 other cars with 6MT...if this was not the case I would not even consider the DCT....but it is really cool. It allows you to really ring out the high rpms in this car!

My only reservation with the M3 has been the fact that for the last 15 years I have had AWD cars for my daily driver--Subaru Outback, 2001 X5, and, currently Cayenne Turbo....not sure this is really needed with the all the traction and stability controls/aids on current vehicles. Thoughts on using your M3 as a daily driver in the winter?

Would appreciate any of your thoughts. I have been reading this forum and found it extremely helpful, especially the pictures section of the various exterior colors.

Thanks in advance,
Scott
Color: Same color combo as my Porsche - absolutely beautiful choice and I get a ton of compliments...

CF leather: ordered my E92 with CF leather, it looks totally hot and really unique (saw it in a showroom car = haven't gotten mine yet) and I like the fact that it ties the interior to the CF roof...
2009 ///M3 E92 (Space Gray/x-Fox Red, CF, 6MT)
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2009, 05:05 PM   #11
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

I'll throw another option in there. Interlagos/Black/Sycamore Anthracite

01-23-2009, 05:14 PM   #12
PortoM3
M3lover
Germany
Rep
Drives: SSII M3

love your combo. I am not a big fan of silver leather, but blue on black looks awesome. the wood is a nice touch. I had to see pics to believe, other wise I would never order it blind.. I got the leather trim. It's different.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2009, 06:06 PM   #13
HotLap
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Vert / 535i Twin turbo

HIS4 - sweet color combo - I wouldn't have thought the sycamore wood would have went well with the IL Blue - but that is actually a very nice looking combo I have the Bamboo with sycamore and really like the trim...would like to find someone in the aftermarket that made a matching sycamore trim for the console top surface and perhaps the center stack...would want to see them in place 1st though as I'm not a fan of "overdone" looking interiors....
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2009, 07:01 PM   #14
Cyclenirvana
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIS4 View Post
I'll throw another option in there. Interlagos/Black/Sycamore Anthracite

Absolutely gorgeous....like the interlagos blue, I have cars (and had cars) virtually all with silver/grey exteriors and black interior...so just looking for something different this time around. Thanks for the pics! Great combination.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2009, 07:06 PM   #15
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Absolutely gorgeous....like the interlagos blue, I have cars (and had cars) virtually all with silver/grey exteriors and black interior...so just looking for something different this time around. Thanks for the pics! Great combination.
I don't think the wood would go well with the grey leather though so in that case I would go with the aluminum. I was never really a fan of the carbon leather especially after seeing it in person.
      01-23-2009, 11:21 PM   #16
Stunnerable
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nissan Rogue, 09 Jet Black M3

It's an M3 right? Your good!

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2009, 11:32 PM   #17
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

IB sounds great, but IMO anything but silver/gray interior. A couple other board members have Fox Red with IB and I think it looks fantastic.

CF trim is great, nice and subtle without the bling

As for tranny, if it is your daily and you deal with a lot of traffic (and have other stick cars for fun with rowing the gears), you might want to give DCT a try. You will be very happy with either, with an edge going to the 6 for the kind of added involvement it gives you (and possibly more reliability.)

Down worry about AWD where you are, I like and drive in Denver and the mountains of Colorado year-round with my E90 and it is very good (with snow tires...)

Good luck with your decision and get that order in!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2009, 12:19 AM   #18
chris s
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2022 Dravit G80 M3

I have to scratch my head when i see people ordering Silver interiors. Have you seen it in person? IB looks outrageous on Bamboo and Fox Red...both extended. Or more conservatively on Black. If you do decide on Silver....definitely liven it up with Extended. My .02 just.
2008 AW e92 M3 6MT, ESS SC, BBS LM's...SOLD!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2009, 12:37 AM   #19
Stunnerable
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nissan Rogue, 09 Jet Black M3

my thing is JB w. ext Fox and double hump. LOVE IT

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2009, 01:13 AM   #20
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

Go for the classy look. jet black/black, carbon trim. oem 18, dct, edc, nav. oh and don't forget to add lumbar support if it is an option.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2009, 09:29 PM   #21
Cyclenirvana
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for all the input.
Ordered the M3 today. Have some time to change my preferences. The car I test drove here at Flow BMW is a coupe, Grey metallic/silver interior, and I really like the silver interior. Had not thought about red??? is it too much? I worry about it overwhelming the interior? If some of you have some pics of the red interior with the interlagos blue please post! Would love to see it.
Decided to go with DCT. Already have a Ford GT with a 6MT as my weekend warrior and occasional track weapon! Ha. M3 should compliment it nicely.
Looking forward to joining you all!!!

FYI. I have been researching a sports sedan for a long time...test drove everything from a Pontiac G8 (biggest bang for the buck and quite nice), Audi S5 (drop dead gorgeous IMHO but more of a GT, less of sports car), 335i (always reliable, great fun, but everywhere), Subaru WRX Sti (cool design, but not as engaging to drive as I would have thought), and EVO MR/GSR (more fun than most would imagine, MR has a spanking good DCT) but...the M3 proved to be the best of all worlds and seems to meet my needs as a daily driver, occasional track car (especially when VIR is NOT full course), and just plain fun!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2009, 09:44 PM   #22
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for all the input.
Ordered the M3 today. Have some time to change my preferences. The car I test drove here at Flow BMW is a coupe, Grey metallic/silver interior, and I really like the silver interior. Had not thought about red??? is it too much? I worry about it overwhelming the interior? If some of you have some pics of the red interior with the interlagos blue please post! Would love to see it.
Decided to go with DCT. Already have a Ford GT with a 6MT as my weekend warrior and occasional track weapon! Ha. M3 should compliment it nicely.
Looking forward to joining you all!!!

FYI. I have been researching a sports sedan for a long time...test drove everything from a Pontiac G8 (biggest bang for the buck and quite nice), Audi S5 (drop dead gorgeous IMHO but more of a GT, less of sports car), 335i (always reliable, great fun, but everywhere), Subaru WRX Sti (cool design, but not as engaging to drive as I would have thought), and EVO MR/GSR (more fun than most would imagine, MR has a spanking good DCT) but...the M3 proved to be the best of all worlds and seems to meet my needs as a daily driver, occasional track car (especially when VIR is NOT full course), and just plain fun!
Congrats~

Here's a link to the IB with FR combo

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199698