BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-01-2013, 01:42 PM   #1
Xx__xs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: m6

Vital info for e93 owners (manually closing top!)

Last edited by Xx__xs; 11-12-2018 at 10:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 02:15 PM   #2
M3amigos
HP addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jerez Black E93 6MT

good to know...
      05-15-2013, 03:20 PM   #3
Xx__xs
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3amigos View Post
good to know...
tell me about it...this information isnt available ANYWHERE! not the owners manual, not the internet, nowhere. I found out through a grueling process of back and forths with several dealers and master techs.

Last edited by Xx__xs; 10-13-2013 at 03:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 09:47 PM   #4
walmark
Apprentice
Rep
Drives: 550i F10 '15

Also, how would you access that if your roof is folded in the trunk, leaving extremely little space to access those screws/cover?

I'm really curious how this works? Does that open the valve assembly on the electro-hydraulic pump?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 04:22 AM   #5
G-10
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325d M sport

Hi could you tell me where the middle bolt is
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 03:44 PM   #6
Xx__xs
Major
United_States
Rep

wow didnt even see these posts. im gettin my car back in 2 weeks guys i have no way to verify where that bolt is since the master tech at BMW did it himself and only roughly told me about it, didnt think it needed more explanation. ill try to find out asap!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 09:23 AM   #7
GabeS
Crazy!
Rep
Drives: E93 M3/Mk4 Supra/X6M

Hey bumping this thread because there is some info missing..
I have the same problem.. My driver side lock for the roof unlocked but passenger side is still locked down..and the whole thing is jammed now..
I was told right above the rear view mirror on the roof itself there is a small plastic cap to remove and the lock to release the roof is there, which I found, but I can't find the tool for it.
Ill post a picture fo it in a minute...
does anyone know what I am talking about?
I called BMW and they don't know either.

As for the middle screw the previous guy was mentioning, its probably the allen type screw thats bronze right in between the hydraulic oil canisters.
      11-08-2016, 02:14 AM   #8
Kulcskeszito
Rep
Drives: E93 225i

Exclamation

Hi, We have same issue. I found the following info but we do not know where can we found the mentioned "special tool 54 0 163 together with special tool 13 5 250" Any ideas? Do you have pictures of these tools? Or any other ideas to close the top without that?

Thanks!

http://workshop-manuals.com/bmw/3_se...gency_opening/

If you open the link you can go to the next pages for more steps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabeS View Post
Hey bumping this thread because there is some info missing..
I have the same problem.. My driver side lock for the roof unlocked but passenger side is still locked down..and the whole thing is jammed now..
I was told right above the rear view mirror on the roof itself there is a small plastic cap to remove and the lock to release the roof is there, which I found, but I can't find the tool for it.
Ill post a picture fo it in a minute...
does anyone know what I am talking about?
I called BMW and they don't know either.

As for the middle screw the previous guy was mentioning, its probably the allen type screw thats bronze right in between the hydraulic oil canisters.
Appreciate 1
GabeS1178.00
      11-23-2016, 10:08 AM   #9
328i
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E46 ///M

If you're having top issues try replacing the two SALMON colored relays in the compartment photgraphed above. Cheap fix for many people with issues and a good preventive measure to keep the stress on the motors low.
      07-06-2019, 05:58 PM   #10
RedCardinal
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx__xs View Post
What's the story with posts like this, they aren't uncommon here. Where'd all the information go??
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 08:03 PM   #11
Xx__xs
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCardinal View Post
What's the story with posts like this, they aren't uncommon here. Where'd all the information go??
Quote:
Open the trunk, lift the carpet cover to reveal the 2 screws that are hiding the convertible mechanisms. Once those are unscrewed, and the cover is removed, you will notice one screw in the middle of these 2 screws. LOOSEN, this one, do not remove. Once loosened, you will now be able to manually, using 2 people, raise the roof up from the trunk, over the back seats and into the closed position[/B]. I will try to take some pix today and edit them into this post.
- After I had this explained to me, I tried closing and opening the roof using the button, and it worked flawlessly.

+

-
+
Hey so, the master tech at BMW did not let me take pictures when he did it. All I got was this vague information from him. And I deleted it because I made this thread assuming he would tell me more info and show me more , but he didnt. So this thread wasnt much help.

He made it clear that this was a "secret" and they dont want customers knowing about this manual mechanism in the top.
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2019, 12:03 PM   #12
GabeS
Crazy!
Rep
Drives: E93 M3/Mk4 Supra/X6M

Quote:
Hey so, the master tech at BMW did not let me take pictures when he did it. All I got was this vague information from him. And I deleted it because I made this thread assuming he would tell me more info and show me more , but he didnt. So this thread wasnt much help.

He made it clear that this was a "secret" and they dont want customers knowing about this manual mechanism in the top.
Well that Master Mechanic and the dealer can go themselves haha
      07-29-2019, 03:17 PM   #13
geepmaley
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Cabriolet

Thanks for this post. I had a good scare yesterday when trying to lower my07 e93 and not having the deck lid go back down. I panicked and pu the top back up. Turned out I (one time having this car for 10 years) left a box on the "Do not put anything here" area and the roof folded on top of that. Got it back up no problem and was able to lower and close it again today Phew.

But this thread is good. I'm curious on the question about getting to that screw when the top is folded into the truck that was raised above.

Also, can you outline which screws need to be removed and which loosened in the pic you shared? I'm not clear on that so having them circled or whatever woudl be awesome.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 03:48 PM   #14
FRZNBLK
Registered
Rep
Drives: E93 Frozen Black M3

I’m amazed to find this after scouring the web with no luck..My 2011 M has had this exact problem except mine started opening and then stopped. Couldn’t get the front over windshield closed and the back was stuck cracked open. Dealership was able to get it closed and told me it would be 3 grand plus to repair the problem which wasn’t really explained to me at all.
Just so I’m clear.. after you were able to manually close, it started worked properly by using the button in front of your armrest correct"? I’m a little nervous to try it out.
Thanks so much for this!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 07:49 PM   #15
OurFarmersAgent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Custom E93 328i (E93MAC)

SPECIAL TOOL "Not So Special Afterall"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulcskeszito View Post
Hi, We have same issue. I found the following info but we do not know where can we found the mentioned "special tool 54 0 163 together with special tool 13 5 250" Any ideas? Do you have pictures of these tools? Or any other ideas to close the top without that?

Thanks!

http://workshop-manuals.com/bmw/3_se...gency_opening/

If you open the link you can go to the next pages for more steps.
Hi Guys, So I've been searching too. What I've found is the special tools are actually a "Slide Hammer" and the "threaded tip" that screw into the hole on the front roof panel after removing the plastic cover. You will see that there is a square shaped plug with a threaded hole. You use the slide hammer to pull the plug out and then use a ratchet to turn clockwise or counter clockwise to manually lock / unlock the top. I have no idea why BMW has a plug that needs to be pulled out, but they put it there. Maybe to prevent us from fucking with it.

I'm going to go by Auto Zone and pick up a slide hammer to see if it works. I'll check back with pics and results. Mike 9/04/2019

https://workshop-manuals.com/bmw/3_s...top/page_2250/
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 03:56 PM   #16
Xx__xs
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurFarmersAgent View Post
Hi Guys, So I've been searching too. What I've found is the special tools are actually a "Slide Hammer" and the "threaded tip" that screw into the hole on the front roof panel after removing the plastic cover. You will see that there is a square shaped plug with a threaded hole. You use the slide hammer to pull the plug out and then use a ratchet to turn clockwise or counter clockwise to manually lock / unlock the top. I have no idea why BMW has a plug that needs to be pulled out, but they put it there. Maybe to prevent us from fucking with it.

I'm going to go by Auto Zone and pick up a slide hammer to see if it works. I'll check back with pics and results. Mike 9/04/2019

https://workshop-manuals.com/bmw/3_s...top/page_2250/
if this is true then i feel insulted that the master mechanic lied to me to prevent me from telling people lol
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 04:38 PM   #17
OurFarmersAgent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Custom E93 328i (E93MAC)

Quote:
Quote:

https://workshop-manuals.com/bmw/3_series_e93/335i_n54_conver/2_repair_instructions/54__slide-tilt_sunroof_and_convertible_top_(conver)/37__folding_roof/48_ra__emergency_closing_hardtop/page_2250/
if this is true then i feel insulted that the master mechanic lied to me to prevent me from telling people lol
Yes...it's true. I went to my local Auto Zone and rented an everyday slide hammer / dent puller tool for $135.00 deposit. Went home and dug around and found a bolt that worked. Bolt size M5-08 in pic.

I put the bolt into the cap, screwed the cap onto the slide hammer, held it up and screwed it into the plug. With minimal effort, a slight drop of the slide hammer popped the plug out. After seeing the plug, I figure it connects the gear that actuates the locks (closest to head liner) up to the gear that is controlled by the electric motor. Pulling the plug disconnected the two. Then you insert the plug back into the hole, just enough to turn the gear with a wrench. You can feel the locks engaging. You can lock, or unlock it in this manner. Doing so, actuates the locking mechanisms between the middle section and front section at the same time.

There is a different area you need to lock the back section with the window down to the car. I'll take photos later so you can see the location on both the driver side and passenger side accessable through the trunk.

So now my top is locked into place.

I haven't figured out why it stopped working, but I can drive it like a regular coup for now.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      11-18-2019, 06:47 PM   #18
kerriganisland
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Vert

Quote:
Yes...it's true. I went to my local Auto Zone and rented an everyday slide hammer / dent puller tool for $135.00 deposit. Went home and dug around and found a bolt that worked. Bolt size M5-08 in pic.

I put the bolt into the cap, screwed the cap onto the slide hammer, held it up and screwed it into the plug. With minimal effort, a slight drop of the slide hammer popped the plug out. After seeing the plug, I figure it connects the gear that actuates the locks (closest to head liner) up to the gear that is controlled by the electric motor. Pulling the plug disconnected the two. Then you insert the plug back into the hole, just enough to turn the gear with a wrench. You can feel the locks engaging. You can lock, or unlock it in this manner. Doing so, actuates the locking mechanisms between the middle section and front section at the same time.

There is a different area you need to lock the back section with the window down to the car. I'll take photos later so you can see the location on both the driver side and passenger side accessable through the trunk.

So now my top is locked into place.

I haven't figured out why it stopped working, but I can drive it like a regular coup for now.

Please help !

My roof has been in my trunk and doesn’t go up. When I press the top button to bring it up. The trunk opens and the roof doesn’t move an inch. I was thinking it could be a relay or something cheaper than the whole motor for the top. Your post helps me because it will allow me to close my roof than give me access to the trunk to diagnosis those “cheaper problems”. If it is the motor I still think it will come out to be cheaper with the mechanic not having to put up the top himself.

My question to you is do you have more pictures ? When the roof closes does it snap into place?

I need your email lol

I will pay you first this info if I’m annoying you, I just need help
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 05:59 PM   #19
328i
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E46 ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerriganisland View Post
Please help !

My roof has been in my trunk and doesn’t go up. When I press the top button to bring it up. The trunk opens and the roof doesn’t move an inch. I was thinking it could be a relay or something cheaper than the whole motor for the top. Your post helps me because it will allow me to close my roof than give me access to the trunk to diagnosis those “cheaper problems”. If it is the motor I still think it will come out to be cheaper with the mechanic not having to put up the top himself.

My question to you is do you have more pictures ? When the roof closes does it snap into place?

I need your email lol

I will pay you first this info if I’m annoying you, I just need help
Look at my post above. Start with changing the relays I mentioned. They are right next to the pump in the trunk.
      01-26-2020, 04:59 AM   #20
Steve335e93
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E93 335i

Roof latches not activiting to close

Hi all found this super useful thread. I'm suffering with the same issue - bit of context - live in UK, car isn't used much, '07 year. I opened the roof yesterday (first time this year) to assist getting kids belts fastened in their child seats in back)

Roof appeared to close ok, no red light or errors but horrendous rattle as I then drove off. Realised roof latches are not fixed in position.

This morning have tried a few times, but can't get the latches to engage. I've ordered a slide hammer (from guide above can roughly work out what I'd need to do to manually turn and close front and middle section) - although not sure where the bit that engages the lock on the rear window section can be manually actioned from? Any info appreciated - readying myself for another expensive trip to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 06:26 AM   #21
Steve335e93
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E93 335i

Roof latches not activiting to close

Thanks again for the info in this thread OurFarmersAgent.

Managed to lock the top and middle sections this morning (didn't actually need a slide hammer - just find a suitable screw thread bolt gently tightened with fingers and the bolt dropped with a gentle tug with my fingers so I could manually tighten and engage the locking with a spanner)

Still haven't got the rear section fully locked - manual page talks about needing another 'special tool' on the connection joint of the hydraulic cylinder. Can see roughly where they are in the corners behind the passenger seats but...
Think I've reached the limit of my limited tinkering skills - and given it seems slowly drivable now I'll send it in to get that locked down properly and the root cause of issue investigated.

https://workshop-manuals.com/bmw/3_s...top/page_2252/
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 11:50 AM   #22
damiandonovan
Registered
Rep
Drives: E93

Steve, I'm wondering if you can help please as I seem to have a similar issue to you. Today I had the roof down and when I went to close it all seemed fine until I drove away and heard a rattling. My roof doesn't seem to be locking against the windscreen panel and although the roof sits flush when closed I can lift it slightly if I push up on the roof when sitting in the car. I've had a look inside the holes at where the roof prongs go into and on one side I can see a thin piece of metal which pushes down and springs back up (the prong on the roof would push this down when the roof closes), and on the drivers side there is no piece of metal in the hole which seems odd and I'm wondering if it's got stuck down or if the drivers side doesn't have it? Either way, my roof suddenly won't lock and I wondered if you could 1) check the 2 circular holes to see if you have this piece of metal in both sides or just the passenger side, and 2) guide me through how you got your roof to lock.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 1
Xx__xs199.00