BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

Mporium BMW

04-28-2013, 06:00 PM   #1
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Question ED Invoice = US Invoice ?

was there a price increase for ed invoice which now equates to us invoice?

anyone know what the current ed invoice is for coupe? i have $68,105 as us invoice.
      04-29-2013, 07:57 AM   #2
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

Not as far as I know. The big change was the M3 is now taken from dealer allocation even for ED. That has really killed the screaming deals some were able to get. Most dealers including Northwest BMW and Steve Thomas BMW have had to increase their ED prices. If and when the next gen M3/M4 go back to ED not counting against dealer allocation, you will see great deals again.
At this point, most doing ED on the M3 are not getting a huge savings, but still enough to justify the cost of the trip. Plus almost everyone who has done ED has raved about it.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 08:21 AM   #3
Lorde
Ya ya ya, I am Lorde, ya ya!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, 2015 SQ5

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
I am pretty sure ED Invoice is (or used to be) something like $4500 off of US MSRP.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 07:05 PM   #4
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl0m4n View Post
was there a price increase for ed invoice which now equates to us invoice?

anyone know what the current ed invoice is for coupe? i have $68,105 as us invoice.
For determining the various invoice prices of an M3, the accepted standard, nowadays, are the prices from this site: http://bmwconfig.com.
A little history: Prior to the existence of this this site, the ED benchmark % off USA port of entry MSRP (or "sticker") was 14%. If you do the math, you'll see that the benchmark % I mentioned and the config.com prices are pretty much in agreement. In the good old days, you could pick up as many M3s as you wanted in Europe for 14% off sticker + a tad for the dealer.
Unfortunately, BMW no longer permits their dealers to sell M3s in unlimited quantities. Today, dealers have access to only the quantities of M3s BMW decides to give them. And the cost to the dealer of those cars is shown on config.com as USA Port of Entry Invoice
Bottom line, If you want to pick up an M3 in Europe, fine. But, on the pricing of that car, expect to haggle (if your so inclined) with the dealer using USA port of entry invoice prices.
That's my understanding of it, anyway.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 03:32 AM   #5
enigma01
Fight On!
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3; g30 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddman View Post
For determining the various invoice prices of an M3, the accepted standard, nowadays, are the prices from this site: http://bmwconfig.com.
A little history: Prior to the existence of this this site, the ED benchmark % off USA port of entry MSRP (or "sticker") was 14%. If you do the math, you'll see that the benchmark % I mentioned and the config.com prices are pretty much in agreement. In the good old days, you could pick up as many M3s as you wanted in Europe for 14% off sticker + a tad for the dealer.
Unfortunately, BMW no longer permits their dealers to sell M3s in unlimited quantities. Today, dealers have access to only the quantities of M3s BMW decides to give them. And the cost to the dealer of those cars is shown on config.com as USA Port of Entry Invoice
Bottom line, If you want to pick up an M3 in Europe, fine. But, on the pricing of that car, expect to haggle (if your so inclined) with the dealer using USA port of entry invoice prices.
That's my understanding of it, anyway.
Your understanding of it is a little off.

1. While the base invoice for ED is roughly 14% off the US MSRP, the options are not. When the options on a BMW can add up a significant % of the price, 14% off the US MSRP of the entire car isn't accurate.

2. The cost to the dealers is still ED invoice for ED cars. The dealer, however, doesn't get the "CSI score"-based rebates from BMW for ED orders. That's the reason why some BMW Centers will not do invoice + $x deals on ED cars that come out of their allocations.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 04:47 AM   #6
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma01 View Post
Your understanding of it is a little off.

1. While the base invoice for ED is roughly 14% off the US MSRP, the options are not. When the options on a BMW can add up a significant % of the price, 14% off the US MSRP of the entire car isn't accurate.
Options are also at invoice ~14%.

That's what I paid for my ED M3, including Individual options.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 11:57 AM   #7
fuddman
Major
Rep

Quote:
1. While the base invoice for ED is roughly 14% off the US MSRP, the options are not.
My CA tried to tell me that, but I discovered others were offering better. In the end, my ED '11 E92 discount was 14% off everything other than GGT,shipping & TTL. I think it depends on the negotiation process.

Quote:
2. The cost to the dealers is still ED invoice for ED cars. The dealer, however, doesn't get the "CSI score"-based rebates from BMW for ED orders. That's the reason why some BMW Centers will not do invoice + $x deals on ED cars that come out of their allocations.
Interesting. Are you saying "some" dealers will not do ED invoice because they lose money (no CSI ED rebate) while some will get the "CSI rebate" and that those who get the rebate will consider selling at ED invoice?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 06:54 PM   #8
enigma01
Fight On!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Options are also at invoice ~14%.

That's what I paid for my ED M3, including Individual options.
That's not correct. For example:

ZCP US MSRP = $2500
ZCP US Invoice = $2275 (9% off MSRP)
ZCP ED MSRP = $2500
ZCP ED Invoice = $2275 (9% off MSRP)

So, for options, US MSRP/Invoice = ED MSRP/Invoice.

The ED MSRP/Invoice on the base is lower than US MSRP/Invoice.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 07:03 PM   #9
enigma01
Fight On!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My CA tried to tell me that, but I discovered others were offering better. In the end, my ED '11 E92 discount was 14% off everything other than GGT,shipping & TTL. I think it depends on the negotiation process.
The invoice price has nothing to do with the negotiation process. It is set by BMWNA. Please see my response above for details, and you can also verify it with BMWConfig.com if you still have doubts.

Quote:
Interesting. Are you saying "some" dealers will not do ED invoice because they lose money (no CSI ED rebate) while some will get the "CSI rebate" and that those who get the rebate will consider selling at ED invoice?
Nope, that's not what I am saying. ALL dealers have the same cost basis for ED vehicles (ED invoice), and since there isn't any hidden kickbacks (CSI score rebates), some aren't willing to do "mini" deals (i.e. ED invoice + $xxx) while others are still doing them (but these are very hard to come by now).

In reality, they aren't losing any money if they do ED invoice + $xxx; they are just making a lot less money than state-side deals. That's why dealers like Steve Thomas are giving you a healthy discount on state-side deals, but not on EDs.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 06:12 AM   #10
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
That's not correct. For example:

ZCP US MSRP = $2500
ZCP US Invoice = $2275 (9% off MSRP)
ZCP ED MSRP = $2500
ZCP ED Invoice = $2275 (9% off MSRP)

So, for options, US MSRP/Invoice = ED MSRP/Invoice.

The ED MSRP/Invoice on the base is lower than US MSRP/Invoice.
We discussed this before. Let's say that my order was an exception to that rule and that was it.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 10:58 AM   #11
fuddman
Major
Rep

Quote:
The invoice price has nothing to do with the negotiation process. It is set by BMWNA. Please see my response above for details, and you can also verify it with BMWConfig.com if you still have doubts.
I was wrong and you were right. After checking my paperwork, I, indeed, paid 9% off sticker for my ED options which is the amount you said is the rule. Now, I'm beginning to question my skill as a negotiator and wondering if I shouldn't have held out for more!

When I bought mine in 2010, ED invoice deals were had all over the place. The explanation was that the dealer was willing to make $300 on an ED sale because he did not lose an allocation (annual $$) on an ED sale. This, seemingly, limitless 14%-off-sticker access to the M3 assembly line stopped abruptly last year. Assuming that back in those days there was a beneficiary to the ED program, who was that beneficiary? It certainly wasn't the dealer making only few bucks on the sale. And why would it be BMW if they could sell the car in the states at a better price (which they are now doing)? I'm not convinced it was all customer relations. Any thoughts on that?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 04:31 PM   #12
enigma01
Fight On!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
When I bought mine in 2010, ED invoice deals were had all over the place. The explanation was that the dealer was willing to make $300 on an ED sale because he did not lose an allocation (annual $$) on an ED sale. This, seemingly, limitless 14%-off-sticker access to the M3 assembly line stopped abruptly last year. Assuming that back in those days there was a beneficiary to the ED program, who was that beneficiary? It certainly wasn't the dealer making only few bucks on the sale. And why would it be BMW if they could sell the car in the states at a better price (which they are now doing)? I'm not convinced it was all customer relations. Any thoughts on that?
As a beneficiary of multiple ED purchases, I can't deny we, the consumers, have benefited from non-allocation ED slots.

However, the dealers aren't doing it out of the goodness of their hearts. They are able to sell all their allocations, and this is an extra profit (albeit small compared to the others) that they wouldn't have generated otherwise. If they can get enough volume (e.g. 20+ extra ED's/month for $1000 profit), it can be a good cash generator without having to have the necessary allocations.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 09:34 PM   #13
cme
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 xD Comp

ED Invoice $53,695
ED MSRP $58,170
USA Invoice $58,045
USA MSRP $62,325
Appreciate 0