E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > solution to remote start

01-02-2006, 08:12 PM   #1
govtec
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

solution to remote start

which option should i go with in terms of cost and possible long term issue between remote start system and e90.

Option 1= Webasto.com makes a remote interior heating system they call "blue heat". It essentially taps into your fuel and heats the coolant to produce heat drawn into interior cabin of vehicle. You press a remote button or set timer inside car to start the process and the important thing to remember here is the engine in no way is started or idling at any point in time. Thus, you don't need to leave the chip in the key inside the car since engine isn't started. Currently, they do not have available an adaptor for the e90 yet but due to the popularity of the 3 series I think they'll have one produced by end of 06. I can still have it installed now if I want to but it will be a little tricky bc installer will be using generic kit and not model specific. Cost is a little bit more than usual at $1450 with labor.

Option 2= DEI products like viper remote start system. This is the usual remote start system offered by installers which starts the engine and leaves it idling to warm interior cabin. They also currently do not have an adaptor produced used to bypass the chip in the key but my guess is it should be out by the end of year. Cost is around $500.

i am trying to warm the interiors remotely in the cold winter mornings and late at night. it seems leaving the car idle for long periods of time is not good for the engine from opinions here on the forum. i am concerned for the long term effect on the overrall integrity of the car not just the engine as i plan on keeping the car within the family for a long time. anybody have any experience with webasto? this is a german company that produced this technology. right now i am leaning towards 1 when they make an adaptor available for my car as i don't want to use my car as a guinee pig with a generic kit. what do u think of this? i read a lot of post asking about remote start. well, here is a possible solution if u don't mind the cost. thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2006, 09:30 PM   #2
db17k
Chicketeh china the chinese chicken, you have?
Rep
Drives: 335ci hold out

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Go with the Traditional remote start, better to warm the engine and the car than just the car, also those remote start alarm systems will automatically shut off your car if remote start is pressed to start the car, but the door is not opened within a certain amount of time (so as to not burn up gas). Pluuuss if you're gone for a couple weeks say on vacation and your car alarm goes off enough times to wear down your car battery the remote start can kick in to charge the battery automatically for you!

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2006, 10:01 PM   #3
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

it taps into my fuel and heats my coolant

umm, it uses gasoline to heat coolant without starting the engine?????
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2006, 10:17 PM   #4
govtec
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
it taps into my fuel and heats my coolant

umm, it uses gasoline to heat coolant without starting the engine?????
yup, from my understanding the local installer told me over the phone or something similar to that. try visiting webasto.com and read for yourself. i was suspicious myself when i first read it but it's made in germany and price seems to back it up.
Appreciate 0