BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

06-18-2013, 09:56 AM   #1
Nautik
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW M3 DCT

3900 for Extended Warranty? - 7yr/100k PowerTrain Plus

I'm at roughly 47k miles on my 2009 e92 DCT. I've been debating a bit on whether or not to pony up the cash and extend the warranty.

However, now that I have a few quotes, 3900 is quite a price tag for insuring mainly just the Powertrain for an additional 50k miles or 3 years.

The engine for this car is obviously very expensive and I can imagine that the transmission is not cheap either. However, this is only warrantying those parts to 100k miles or for another 3 years. I keep having to remind myself of that.

No doubt the engine and transmission will eventually have some sort of problems. But I guess I keep trying to remind myself that this is a bet on will the engine or transmission have a serious problem in the next 50k miles or 3 years? Highly doubtful... I change the oil at twice the recommended rate. The engine sounds perfect, no unusual sounds. I never launch the car or drive it hard when not fully warmed up (and I don't drive it that hard to begin with). From my understanding the DCT and s65 engine have shown to be pretty reliable as far as BMW goes.

Obviously everyone has a different opinion but 3900 dollars for warrantying the engine and transmission for 3 more years or 50k miles is a bet I'm having a hard time trying to swallow. For around 2000 dollars I think I might take that bet, but probably not for 3900.
      06-18-2013, 10:01 AM   #2
s65e90
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautik View Post
I'm at roughly 47k miles on my 2009 e92 DCT. I've been debating a bit on whether or not to pony up the cash and extend the warranty.

However, now that I have a few quotes, 3900 is quite a price tag for insuring mainly just the Powertrain for an additional 50k miles or 3 years.

The engine for this car is obviously very expensive and I can imagine that the transmission is not cheap either. However, this is only warrantying those parts to 100k miles or for another 3 years. I keep having to remind myself of that.

No doubt the engine and transmission will eventually have some sort of problems. But I guess I keep trying to remind myself that this is a bet on will the engine or transmission have a serious problem in the next 50k miles or 3 years? Highly doubtful... I change the oil at twice the recommended rate. The engine sounds perfect, no unusual sounds. I never launch the car or drive it hard when not fully warmed up (and I don't drive it that hard to begin with). From my understanding the DCT and s65 engine have shown to be pretty reliable as far as BMW goes.

Obviously everyone has a different opinion but 3900 dollars for warrantying the engine and transmission for 3 more years or 50k miles is a bet I'm having a hard time trying to swallow. For around 2000 dollars I think I might take that bet, but probably not for 3900.

why should they??? Too many pessimistic people on this board. These cars should go well over 200k properly maintained. Look at all the older M(s) on the road. If you are not mechanically inclined or worry (as it seems you may) then yes, the warranty may be for you
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 10:24 AM   #3
Nautik
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by s65e90 View Post
why should they??? Too many pessimistic people on this board. These cars should go well over 200k properly maintained. Look at all the older M(s) on the road. If you are not mechanically inclined or worry (as it seems you may) then yes, the warranty may be for you
I guess I am more referring to the fact that physics will break down the engine at some point. You may very well be right and there will be minimal issues all the way to 200k. So when I made the statement that the engine and transmission will eventually have a problem, I was referencing that fact. More or less stating, yes the engine will eventually break down but that is very unlikely before 100k assuming it is well maintained and not abused.