BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

07-17-2014, 02:55 PM   #23
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
You also added DCT, so that's kind of makes up for it

I myself also despise sunroofs. Every time I get in my E36, I'm waiting for water to pour through like waterfall haha. I wish I could have ordered manual seats, that would have been awesome. If EDC kicks the buckets, I'm going coilovers with this car with EDC delete (I never use it anyway)
Clearly the better transmission of the two

M-DCT has proven to be so much more reliable than the SMG's of old. The marriage of the S65 + M-DCT is nothing short of perfect (at least in my book).

True-I will be taking a chance with the DCT on failing on me, by then, we should have more info and aftermarket support for the same.

Side Note: I have a friend who has a 2009 E92 MDCT, completed 120k miles with no issues. He's averaged 6 track days a year.

Also found this neat little video on M-DCT

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 03:02 PM   #24
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
Clearly the better transmission of the two

M-DCT has proven to be so much more reliable than the SMG's of old. The marriage of the S65 + M-DCT is nothing short of perfect (at least in my book).

True-I will be taking a chance with the DCT on failing on me, by then, we should have more info and aftermarket support for the same.

Side Note: I have a friend who has a 2009 E92 MDCT, completed 120k miles with no issues

Also found this neat little video on M-DCT

Right, but what are the chances your power seats and EDC will fail by 120k? That's my point.

Not saying which transmission is right or wrong, but SHOULD something go wrong, I'd much rather the seats go bad.

It's not hard to beat SMG, that thing is a disaster. I myself also think that DCT is great and I am pleasantly surprised at how well it's held up (not to mention on supercharged car). But at the end of the day, that could be an expensive repair should something go horribly bad out of warranty. Most people don't stick around for that long to find out though. I'm certainly going to keep my car past 100k
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 03:09 PM   #25
Killerfish2012
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335I, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yugo View Post
Any common issue with these cars around 90k miles? How do people generally feel about buying a higher mileage E9x car that they don't plan on keeping for longer than 1-2 years?

Sorry, if this has been discussed before, couldn't find anything. And also have been going crazy lately thinking of whether to pull the trigger on an E90 M3 or something else.

Have two that came up and have been talking to the dealers. One is a 2011 E90 jerez black w 90k asking $34 and the other is a 2008 SSII with 95k asking $26k. Both cars are too far away from me to test drive, so it would have to be a deal done over the phone. Both seem to be able to reduce the price some more. 2008 was involved in a crash, but looks very clean in pics, can't tell any damage was there ever.

Any suggestions and help are appreciated!
Just bought one not too long ago, '09, and about to roll 100K. Just push fluids like crazy initially, because your typical M3 owner didn't even do regular oil changes. Change ALL the fluids, and you'll be fine. Also stay away from '08s!! It's even been in an accident? Whoa!

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003235
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 03:11 PM   #26
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E90

Quote:
Right, but what are the chances your power seats and EDC will fail by 120k? That's my point.

Not saying which transmission is right or wrong, but SHOULD something go wrong, I'd much rather the seats go bad.

It's not hard to beat SMG, that thing is a disaster. I myself also think that DCT is great and I am pleasantly surprised at how well it's held up (not to mention on supercharged car). But at the end of the day, that could be an expensive repair should something go horribly bad out of warranty. Most people don't stick around for that long to find out though. I'm certainly going to keep my car past 100k

You'll be surprised how robust BMW transmissions are compared to the competition. With cars like M3s, I'm sure most of us will entertain extended warranties or a have a budget allocated for out of warranty repairs (at least the smart ones )

Motors like the S65 are epic stratospheric engines that are more conventional to understand and work on compared to its turbo predecessor. That alone is one of the many saving graces/arguments to keep the car for a long time.

Also my advise to owners is to keep their as close to stock as possible without messing with ECU, supercharging etc to keep these cars from being ruined. A properly maintained E90 M3 is a gem.

The only other car worth my hard earned money is the new C7 Z51.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 03:22 PM   #27
Amirsm3
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Grey e90 M3

Quote:

Yeah, thats like saying you beat a quadriplegic in a foot race.

BMWCCA:518970
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 03:36 PM   #28
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
You'll be surprised how robust BMW transmissions are compared to the competition. With cars like M3s, I'm sure most of us will entertain extended warranties or a have a budget allocated for out of warranty repairs (at least the smart ones )

Motors like the S65 are epic stratospheric engines that are more conventional to understand and work on compared to its turbo predecessor. That alone is one of the many saving graces/arguments to keep the car for a long time.

Also my advise to owners is to keep their as close to stock as possible without messing with ECU, supercharging etc to keep these cars from being ruined. A properly maintained E90 M3 is a gem.

The only other car worth my hard earned money is the new C7 Z51.
Nope, not for me. Bought the car at 57k with no warranty, now at 80k. I DIY everything, no extended warranty. That's one of the many reasons I went with MT over DCT. In the 20k miles I"ve driven, it has only needed 1 throttle actuator. I can't say the same about all I've spent on mods though

In the not too distant future, I'll have WPC rod bearings installed, solid diff and subframe bushing. There you go, completely bulletproofed 2008 M3 ready to give me years and years of loyal service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amirsm3 View Post
Yeah, thats like saying you beat a quadriplegic in a foot race.
Hahaha agreed
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 05:44 PM   #29
Harpua
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerfish2012 View Post
... Also stay away from '08s!! It's even been in an accident? Whoa!

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003235
Nothing wrong with '08s.

Older iDrive and taillights, but the same car otherwise. Reports seem to indicate that the newer version lead-free bearings (beginning around '11.5???) have not helped with the clearance/rod bearing failures (which are relatively rare to begin with).

Personally, I'd lean towards a MT if going out of warranty -- Much easier/cheaper to maintain and fix if/when something goes wrong. DCT issues can be hard on your pocketbook.

Plenty (!) of '08s going strong. Just look for a well maintained, accident-free beauty and you'll do just fine
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 08:33 AM   #30
phrozen06
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328it, RIP M3, E46 Sold

LOL. Stay away from 08's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IzzyGray View Post
Modern engines are meant to last over 150k miles easily. I'm not sure where this mentality of 70-90k miles as "high mileage" came from. Heck I would argue that you're just breaking the car in at 70k miles.
Agree......everyone PLEASE RELAX.
      07-18-2014, 09:07 AM   #31
Amirsm3
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Grey e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrozen06 View Post

LOL. Stay away from 08's?

Agree......everyone PLEASE RELAX.

BMWCCA:518970
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2014, 12:44 PM   #32
SHADY1
Hamann M3 Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 E92 M3 Coupe  [8.14]
Talking

Quote:
Any common issue with these cars around 90k miles? How do people generally feel about buying a higher mileage E9x car that they don't plan on keeping for longer than 1-2 years?

Sorry, if this has been discussed before, couldn't find anything. And also have been going crazy lately thinking of whether to pull the trigger on an E90 M3 or something else.

Have two that came up and have been talking to the dealers. One is a 2011 E90 jerez black w 90k asking $34 and the other is a 2008 SSII with 95k asking $26k. Both cars are too far away from me to test drive, so it would have to be a deal done over the phone. Both seem to be able to reduce the price some more. 2008 was involved in a crash, but looks very clean in pics, can't tell any damage was there ever.

Any suggestions and help are appreciated!
Go with the 2011 its has the newer Idrive and it has not been crashed plus you don't know who did the work and if they done a good job or not . which ever you might get I highly recommend you have a Blackstone oil lab sample done to check and make sure you don't have a rod bearing issue going to happen soon.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...t=rod+bearings

Car fax or some type of history on the car to see if it was Stealership maintained and what type of repairs had been done on the car. Idle Control Valve is a main issue its going to happen just make sure it already happen then your good and always keep some change to the side in the event something needs to be repaired $$$$ down the road good luck oh and some extra cash for the mod virus it will drain your wallet as well. Don't worry which ever car you decide to get we are all here to help and give you advise

JZB,6MT, My mods 360 Forged 20inch wheels,VF650 Supercharger custom tuned,ARH Long Tube Headers,Hamann CF roof spoiler,H&R springs,CF grills,Hamann rear trunk spoiler,Hamann Side Skirts, ARKYM full CF bumper, Gintani Race exhaust, ARH X-pipe catless,RPI scoops,AA SSK, Arkym CF Double Sided Vented Hood,
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2014, 08:53 PM   #33
Yugo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Thanks for great advice and replies!
Came across a 2009, 42k miles and am in the process of buying it unfortunately car is 1200 miles away and will have to be shipped, so it wil take some time to get it. It has all maintenance records and ext warranty.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 12:18 AM   #34
SHADY1
Hamann M3 Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 E92 M3 Coupe  [8.14]
Talking

Quote:
Came across a 2009, 42k miles and am in the process of buying it unfortunately car is 1200 miles away and will have to be shipped, so it wil take some time to get it. It has all maintenance records and ext warranty.
Sounds like a deal good stuff

JZB,6MT, My mods 360 Forged 20inch wheels,VF650 Supercharger custom tuned,ARH Long Tube Headers,Hamann CF roof spoiler,H&R springs,CF grills,Hamann rear trunk spoiler,Hamann Side Skirts, ARKYM full CF bumper, Gintani Race exhaust, ARH X-pipe catless,RPI scoops,AA SSK, Arkym CF Double Sided Vented Hood,
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 12:36 AM   #35
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

Quote:
Beautiful car, what is it selling for?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 07:55 AM   #36
Yugo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 16 View Post
Beautiful car, what is it selling for?
$35k, which I think it's pretty fair price.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 10:16 AM   #37
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

Quote:
$35k, which I think it's pretty fair price.
I would not pass on that one.
Appreciate 0