BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

10-17-2013, 06:14 PM   #1
Dougeefresh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 JB

Anyone has Liberty Mutual auto insurance?

I currently have GEICO as my auto insurance. I got a quote from Liberty Mutual because someone I know knows someone who's an agent and promised a better rate. Well, with the exact same coverages, the rate was about $64/year lower than GEICO. The agent also said that LM has a partnership with BMW that they will only use BMW OEM parts for repair.
Is there any truth to this? $64 difference doesn't matter much to me. But then again, I am thinking if my M3 needs a repair, are there any generic or non-OEM parts that can be used for M3 repair anyway?

I've done some research and there are some nasty reviews about Liberty Mutual so I am hesitating.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 06:33 PM   #2
Lorde
Ya ya ya, I am Lorde, ya ya!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, 2015 SQ5

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
Another insur.... Oh I give up.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 08:53 PM   #3
Dougeefresh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snig View Post
Yeah I saw your little back and forth in the other thread. So why do you hate insurance related thread so much? Is it so wrong to ask about whether Liberty Mutual really has a deal with BMW? Also, you know you have an option not to read the post if you don't want to... You don't have to come in and complain for the sake of complaining. And it IS in the General section of the forum.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 09:27 PM   #4
Lorde
Ya ya ya, I am Lorde, ya ya!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, 2015 SQ5

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougeefresh
Quote:
Yeah I saw your little back and forth in the other thread. So why do you hate insurance related thread so much? Is it so wrong to ask about whether Liberty Mutual really has a deal with BMW? Also, you know you have an option not to read the post if you don't want to... You don't have to come in and complain for the sake of complaining. And it IS in the General section of the forum.
Well, you see... It's like every other thread is an insur... Oh, I give up.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 09:42 PM   #5
Dougeefresh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Well, you see... It's like every other thread is an insur... Oh, I give up.
Is it? I check the forum daily and haven't seen another insurance thread other than the one that you were getting into with the poster, where no one else seems to mind about the thread and it was an interesting read (not talking about the bickering). Like I said, just move along if it bothers you so much.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 10:25 PM   #6
W12x
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3, Z/28, Evo Final Edition

We had LM for a long time and this was a few years ago when I had the E53 X5, some girl hit the passenger side of my bumper and I called LM, went to a repair facility to get an estimate, the repair facility they told me to go was not a BMW place but a Dodge/Jeep dealership and they wanted to use refurbished parts for the repair, I told them no way and called LM again, and after some arguing they agreed to pay for a repair at a BMW dealership with new OEM parts.

Not sure if LM had the agreement with BMW back then but I'd be very careful with any 'promise' that insurance companies make, if you don't watch out they will probably screw you somehow.

On the other hand, my friend had Progressive insurance and totaled two cars within two years (one where he slide into a ditch due to severe weather condition and the car was submerged by water, the other one where the car was hit by another vehicle when stopped in emergency zone on highway, and the insurance company of the other company refused to pay) and Progressive paid very good money for both cars without any problem, and one of the vehicles totaled was just purchased and not even listed on the policy at the time of the accident.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 11:12 PM   #7
Dougeefresh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I am going to ask if they have that clause in writing somewhere about the OEM parts. I did find this page upon searching, wondering if this was what the agent meant.
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...Insurance.aspx

And on the quote sheet I received, it says "Your quote includes exclusive group savings as a result of your affiliation with BMW of North America." Also not sure what that is...
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 11:35 PM   #8
M3 Mod Master
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 M3 to a 08 328i

instead of switching insurance, try switching cars. A few cars that are cheaper: E90 328i, E46 330i ZHP auto
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 11:46 PM   #9
buildbright
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by W12x View Post
We had LM for a long time and this was a few years ago when I had the E53 X5, some girl hit the passenger side of my bumper and I called LM, went to a repair facility to get an estimate, the repair facility they told me to go was not a BMW place but a Dodge/Jeep dealership and they wanted to use refurbished parts for the repair, I told them no way and called LM again, and after some arguing they agreed to pay for a repair at a BMW dealership with new OEM parts.

Not sure if LM had the agreement with BMW back then but I'd be very careful with any 'promise' that insurance companies make, if you don't watch out they will probably screw you somehow.

On the other hand, my friend had Progressive insurance and totaled two cars within two years (one where he slide into a ditch due to severe weather condition and the car was submerged by water, the other one where the car was hit by another vehicle when stopped in emergency zone on highway, and the insurance company of the other company refused to pay) and Progressive paid very good money for both cars without any problem, and one of the vehicles totaled was just purchased and not even listed on the policy at the time of the accident.
I was an imsurance agent in a past life. I have never seen any company payout like Progressive.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 12:03 AM   #10
Dougeefresh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreMods View Post
instead of switching insurance, try switching cars. A few cars that are cheaper: E90 328i, E46 330i ZHP auto
Um, I pay less than $700 per year for my M. Not really concerned about the premium. I don't wanna get screwed when it's time for them to pay up for parts and services.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildbright View Post
I was an imsurance agent in a past life. I have never seen any company payout like Progressive.
The name "Progressive" does come up often. Gonna have to get a quote from them.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 03:14 AM   #11
W12x
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The vehicle that got hit in the emergency zone was a VW Golf GTI, Progressive paid him almost $1000 more than how much he paid for the car before tax.

It's Progressive's policy to cover any new vehicle purchased by the policy holder for 30 days even if he/she did not add it to the policy.

What surprised me was how hassle free it was for my friend to get Progressive to pay for it. We thought he would have to talk to a lot of people and go through a lot of BS for them to pay for a car that's not listed on the policy, but he got the check within a week from them.

My other car is currently covered by Progressive and the premium was very reasonable for the coverage amount, and knowing how Progressive pays for totaled cars is certainly a peace of mind. HOWEVER, I don't know how good Progressive is when it comes to repairing a damaged vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 03:16 AM   #12
W12x
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougeefresh View Post
Um, I pay less than $700 per year for my M. Not really concerned about the premium. I don't wanna get screwed when it's time for them to pay up for parts and services.

The name "Progressive" does come up often. Gonna have to get a quote from them.
Definitely check out Progressive, they are very good when it comes to payout, at least based on my friend's experience. (And yes this is a good friend of mine not some BS I heard from a friend's friend's friend lol)
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 10:01 AM   #13
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by W12x View Post
It's Progressive's policy to cover any new vehicle purchased by the policy holder for 30 days even if he/she did not add it to the policy.

My other car is currently covered by Progressive and the premium was very reasonable for the coverage amount, and knowing how Progressive pays for totaled cars is certainly a peace of mind. HOWEVER, I don't know how good Progressive is when it comes to repairing a damaged vehicle.
That's not Progressive's policy, that's the state law. New (whether purchased from a dealer or from an individual) vehicle coverage extends 30 days from the date of purchase (I used to work for USAA in a past life ). As far as paying for damaged vehicles, my M was backed into in a parking lot, and suffered from some front end damage from a low speed (5mph bumper impact from a truck w/a trailer hitch). Hood, bumper cover, passenger's side head light, radiator support, and some misc. bracketry came to $6k. All OEM parts replacement (I actually had to wait 9 days for a hood to come in from Germany), and it went to the shop where exotics in my area get repaired, @ their recommendation. Hit on Monday, I was seen on Tuesday morning @ their service center and it was @ the body shop Tuesday afternoon. Paid my deductible when all was finished (hit and run), and that was that. No hassles.

I like to insurance shop. In the past 2 years, I've gone from Geico > Progressive > Allstate > Liberty Mutual > Nationwide. Those last 3, I changed in the past 6 weeks. I always carry the same 100/300/100 in liability, and I play w/my deductibles. I just switched to Nationwide b/c I was able to get $100 comp and collision deductibles for both the car and truck, a $4000 mod rider on my truck, a $6000 mod rider on the car, as well as OEM only parts replacement for the car.....for almost $1200/yr *cheaper* than Allstate, and I was carrying $500 deductibles for the car and $100/$500 for my truck! Saving $1200/yr and the ability to carry next-to-nothing deductibles? Yeah, I'm all over that.

Last edited by whats77inaname; 10-18-2013 at 10:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 10:19 AM   #14
youngnastyman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83 M4

I have SafeCo which is a subsidiary of LIberty Mutual. Im paying around 850 every six months for the M3.

Word of advice with alot of these companies - opt for the "OEM Replacement" clause in your policy - otherwise if you get a crappy adjuster they will try to quote you out for Generic or reconditioned parts.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 12:19 PM   #15
swartzentruber
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Is it? I check the forum daily and haven't seen another insurance thread other than the one that you were getting into with the poster, where no one else seems to mind about the thread and it was an interesting read (not talking about the bickering). Like I said, just move along if it bothers you so much.
The problem with insurance threads is that it's so personal, both in terms of what you pay, and even your claims experience (which can depend on what agent you are working with and what state you live in), that asking others for advise on rates or claims experience isn't necessarily that useful. I had LM for maybe 5 years, but never had a claim, so honestly no good or bad experiences to report. The BMW performance insurance is legit in what they claim, though I'm not sure if it's that different than other insurers -- they advertise the crap out of it in Roundel, the magazine of BMWCCA (an org that every BMW owner should belong to). Also, I find it a little ironic that you are concerned about claims/payout experience with LM, since you currently have GEICO, which is not considered to be that great in that dept themselves.
      10-18-2013, 01:15 PM   #16
Dougeefresh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I have yet to file any claim with GEICO and don't want to find out that they will push for non-members parts when the time comes to repair.
I got a reply from the agent and she says the BMW performance insurance (what I linked) IS what comes with the policy. She is checking to see if everything will be written in the policy.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 01:37 PM   #17
EvenSteven
Banned
Rep
Drives: '11 m3

Geico will not use OEM parts unless there is no other recourse, I just found this out when they tried to replace my cracked windshield with knockoff Chinese crap. I'll be leaving them shortly.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 01:47 PM   #18
Techjunkie666
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5D SAV

Yes I have them. They are the only insurance company endorsed by BMW and they always provide OEM BMW replacement parts. Other companies will use aftermarket parts for your car. You can demand for OEM parts but you end up paying the difference. With Liberty Mutual, you always get OEM parts plus they have a deal with enterprise rental car, so you can get cheaper rentals too. I have never done a claim with them and I hope I dont but atleast this is what is in the policy. I did ask other insurance companies like Geico and they told me they use aftermarket parts. Not really a good thing for the resale of you car.

I have had Progressive too. Progressive does pay out well but their premiums are higher too. I have perfect driving record with no accidents or tickets for the last 10 years but their quote was 30% more than everybody else.

Quote:
I currently have GEICO as my auto insurance. I got a quote from Liberty Mutual because someone I know knows someone who's an agent and promised a better rate. Well, with the exact same coverages, the rate was about $64/year lower than GEICO. The agent also said that LM has a partnership with BMW that they will only use BMW OEM parts for repair.
Is there any truth to this? $64 difference doesn't matter much to me. But then again, I am thinking if my M3 needs a repair, are there any generic or non-OEM parts that can be used for M3 repair anyway?

I've done some research and there are some nasty reviews about Liberty Mutual so I am hesitating.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 02:50 PM   #19
buildbright
Major
Rep

The one company I will never have will be GEICO. The one thing people sometimes don't realize is insurance company's use Credit Scores to adjust your rate. Also when you go to class to remove points from your license. That doesn't remove the violation the insurance company will see and charge you for it.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 06:48 PM   #20
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The one company I will never have will be GEICO. The one thing people sometimes don't realize is insurance company's use Credit Scores to adjust your rate. Also when you go to class to remove points from your license. That doesn't remove the violation the insurance company will see and charge you for it.

That may be the case in FL, but in TX, if you get hit with a ticket, depending on the situation and offense, most of the time you can take defensive driving and probation and keep the ticket off your record, period. As soon as I take the class, I submit the cert to the ins. company. Most will give you a break on your liability and collision premiums b/c of it.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 01:35 AM   #21
buildbright
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
That may be the case in FL, but in TX, if you get hit with a ticket, depending on the situation and offense, most of the time you can take defensive driving and probation and keep the ticket off your record, period. As soon as I take the class, I submit the cert to the ins. company. Most will give you a break on your liability and collision premiums b/c of it.
In Texas yes but it still shows the violation. You have to get a cert copy of the MVR which will show that school was taken and even then its up to the carrier. When I pulled MVRs I would get Texas violations and people would say I went to school. I would tell them the school means nothing in Florida.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 02:08 AM   #22
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I would tell them the school means nothing in Florida.
In TX, if you are granted Defensive Driving, you take the course, submit a copy of the completion cert. to the DMV along with a paid official copy of your driving record, and the ticket is dismissed. Glad I live here and not FL. I had a ticket not too long ago, and took DD for it. I recently switched insurance companies (last month) and they asked me if I had any tickets or accidents in the past 3 years. Answered no and yes, respectively. They pulled my record and no ticket The fact that I got the ticket traveling through Louisiana and it was still dismissed means that TX isn't the only state that recognizes this.

Even promoted on TX's DMV site:

http://www.dmv.org/tx-texas/traffic-...cket-dismissed.

Quote:
How can I get a TX traffic ticket dismissed?

In some cases, you can get a traffic ticket dismissed by passing a driving safety course. You must request permission from the county court to go this route, and then complete a state-approved course (online, in person or at home with a DVD). If you hold a Texas CDL or your speeding ticket was for traveling faster than 25 mph over the posted speed limit, taking the course to dismiss a ticket is NOT an option. To learn more, check out our page on point reduction and traffic ticket dismissal.
So that means I can legally do 119mph on the toll road (speed limit is 85mph) and if I get caught, I can take DD and that'll go away

Last edited by whats77inaname; 10-19-2013 at 02:13 AM..
Appreciate 0