BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

06-22-2007, 07:51 AM   #67
sdiver68
Expert Road Racer
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e90, 09 335i e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
Good for BMW for keeping track of the "web".
OK, all M3 disappointments aside, I can assure you 100% that BMW DOES keep track of the web. I was tracked down by BMW for comments made on the web, and others have as well. To be fair, it was not hard for them to find me

Now if they would just realize what unbiased enthusiast experience I bring to the table and make me a "beta" tester we could all have 3200lb wet, 450+HP M3 CSL's ... (do you hear that web monitors? )
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2007, 03:32 PM   #68
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

The only problem with having a CSL is the cardboard bottom trunk. Can't put too much in there...

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2007, 04:43 PM   #69
sdiver68
Expert Road Racer
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e90, 09 335i e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammmittt View Post
The only problem with having a CSL is the cardboard bottom trunk. Can't put too much in there...
replaced by carbon fiber after my beta comments go in
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2007, 07:01 AM   #70
markjenz
Private
Rep
Drives: m3 e92 mr

i visited m-gmbh in garching last week with closed room etc.
they are claiming m3 nordschleife time will be "below 8:09"
so quicker than m6.....which should be bmw's effort anyway...m3 always was the most sportiest bmw...

if this time is realistic on standard tyres, it is a quick one. you have to assume the weight of the car and audi' r8 doing 8:04 with sport tyres!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2007, 07:41 AM   #71
ILC32
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1993 Porsche RSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenz View Post
i visited m-gmbh in garching last week with closed room etc.
they are claiming m3 nordschleife time will be "below 8:09"
so quicker than m6.....which should be bmw's effort anyway...m3 always was the most sportiest bmw...

if this time is realistic on standard tyres, it is a quick one. you have to assume the weight of the car and audi' r8 doing 8:04 with sport tyres!!!
That is great news!

My sources have been very quiet about this topic, which was making me nervous.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2007, 10:10 AM   #72
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILC32 View Post
That is great news!

My sources have been very quiet about this topic, which was making me nervous.

Why would you be nervous? It is a fairly light car with 414 hp? I am still betting on sub 8 minutes.
      06-25-2007, 10:21 AM   #73
ILC32
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
Why would you be nervous? It is a fairly light car with 414 hp? I am still betting on sub 8 minutes.
There were early rumors from a Dutch site of a 8:12 time. When the same time showed up on the BMW Canada site, I think it was reasonable to be nervous that the time is official, and therefore, the best possible. (I would not expect BMW to publish a time that they know is sub-optimal.)

If 8:12 still turns out to be the real Sportauto time, as I have said already, I will be quite disappointed.

8:12 is a decent time no question about it, but the competition is intense and IMHO "decent" is not good enough for a new M3.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2007, 09:59 AM   #74
v1p3r
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 320d M-Sport EBII

Exclamation

I have received an email from BMW ///M themselves in response to the query I mentioned above ^^ and it's great news

To summarise what they say

1) the 8:12 is NOT official

2) BMW do expect the car to be somewhat faster than that, they know what the car can do, but will not make official statements, because there are many variables on the day

3) sport auto's test will probably only be in October

Based on this...I can't wait for that sportauto test
I just know this car is gonna be super impressive
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2007, 02:33 PM   #75
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
I have received an email from BMW ///M themselves in response to the query I mentioned above ^^ and it's great news

To summarise what they say

1) the 8:12 is NOT official

2) BMW do expect the car to be somewhat faster than that, they know what the car can do, but will not make official statements, because there are many variables on the day

3) sport auto's test will probably only be in October

Based on this...I can't wait for that sportauto test
I just know this car is gonna be super impressive
Thanks for the info.

All the other arguments aside, it couldn't have been official since they don't have any production cars coming off the line yet, and it wouldn't make sense to post an official time based on a prototype/test mule.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2007, 04:48 PM   #76
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Production

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Thanks for the info.

All the other arguments aside, it couldn't have been official since they don't have any production cars coming off the line yet, and it wouldn't make sense to post an official time based on a prototype/test mule.
You can not buy one of the M3s being produced now but that does not mean they are not production cars. I THINK what is rolling out of the doors presently is essentially a production vehicle. I certainly wouldn't crticize BMW for posting a time with one of these vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2007, 05:49 PM   #77
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

I still want my official M Coupe lap time.

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2007, 05:58 PM   #78
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
You can not buy one of the M3s being produced now but that does not mean they are not production cars. I THINK what is rolling out of the doors presently is essentially a production vehicle. I certainly wouldn't crticize BMW for posting a time with one of these vehicles.
Well, neither of us can know what was happening in BMW's production facilities a month ago, but I am curios, what makes you think that anything was rolling out of the M3 production line at that time apart from a few vehicles that would be for the inspection of the quality control people? They must still be catching bugs and making last minute tweaks as we speak...
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2007, 12:29 AM   #79
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Well, neither of us can know what was happening in BMW's production facilities a month ago, but I am curios, what makes you think that anything was rolling out of the M3 production line at that time apart from a few vehicles that would be for the inspection of the quality control people? They must still be catching bugs and making last minute tweaks as we speak...
Production of HEA cars should have started "as we speak"...

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2007, 03:17 AM   #80
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quantity

Quote:
Agreed, I don't have facts/proof (although it sounds like South might!). Both the quantity of cars and the quality of them lead me to my hunch. Remember the invite only trip to M headquarters (how many cars were seen)? Remember all the pics of the inside of the M "garage" with tons of cars? You can't really produce this many "prototype" vehicles and BMW is too close to dealer deliveries to still be messing around with prototype or engineering builds.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2007, 08:06 AM   #81
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Agreed, I don't have facts/proof (although it sounds like South might!). Both the quantity of cars and the quality of them lead me to my hunch. Remember the invite only trip to M headquarters (how many cars were seen)? Remember all the pics of the inside of the M "garage" with tons of cars? You can't really produce this many "prototype" vehicles and BMW is too close to dealer deliveries to still be messing around with prototype or engineering builds.
I bet the cars in the M garage did indeed come out of the M production line months ago, but I doubt that are identicial to the cars that will be delivered to customers. It would be interesting to see BMW's product development timeline on this. In my experience, designers are always trying to make last minute tweaks despite what the schedule says, driving the manufacturing people crazy in the process. But these are German professionals, so maybe they did stick to the schedule and stop messing around with the design some time ago!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2007, 09:39 AM   #82
ILC32
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I bet the cars in the M garage did indeed come out of the M production line months ago, but I doubt that are identicial to the cars that will be delivered to customers. It would be interesting to see BMW's product development timeline on this. In my experience, designers are always trying to make last minute tweaks despite what the schedule says, driving the manufacturing people crazy in the process. But these are German professionals, so maybe they did stick to the schedule and stop messing around with the design some time ago!
In a product as complex as a car, I would think that design and engineering has to be finalized a significant amount of time before series production starts. Tooling has to be ordered and made for parts manufactured in-house, and supply contracts have to negotiated for parts supplied by others. These supply contracts are often put out for bidding, which requires that bidders have drawings and specifications so that they can formulate a their bid. This means that specs have to be frozen far enough in advance for all this to happen so that when series production starts, a sufficient quantity of parts and materials are on hand to run the line without shutdowns due to shortages.

I agree that things like ECU tuning and final suspension calibration (factory specs for camber and toe settings, for example) can be in flux until later in the development process.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2007, 11:37 AM   #83
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILC32 View Post
In a product as complex as a car, I would think that design and engineering has to be finalized a significant amount of time before series production starts. Tooling has to be ordered and made for parts manufactured in-house, and supply contracts have to negotiated for parts supplied by others. These supply contracts are often put out for bidding, which requires that bidders have drawings and specifications so that they can formulate a their bid. This means that specs have to be frozen far enough in advance for all this to happen so that when series production starts, a sufficient quantity of parts and materials are on hand to run the line without shutdowns due to shortages.

I agree that things like ECU tuning and final suspension calibration (factory specs for camber and toe settings, for example) can be in flux until later in the development process.
I mainly referring to the manipulation of soft variables such as the ones you mentioned--hence my use of the word "tweak". However, no design is free of errors. One can test the subsystems to perfection individually (for example the engine), but many new issues come up, especially at the interfaces, when the subsystems are put together. Therefore, there is only so much "freezing of specs" that can be done before the whole car is put together and thoroughly tested. Since rigorous testing of the full product takes time (how about the A380?), it is not that uncommon to find out a few months prior to launch that the dimensions on a machined part absolutely needs to be changed as the alternative would be a recall. So, even seemingly frozen specs might need to be changed shortly before production. That doesn't make the manufacturing people, the suppliers, or the customers happy, but that's the way it is unless one wants to build in huge catch-all redesign phases into the timeline and stretch the product development process on paper in advance, but that would be hard to justify to the CEO.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2007, 11:56 AM   #84
ILC32
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I mainly referring to the manipulation of soft variables such as the ones you mentioned--hence my use of the word "tweak". However, no design is free of errors. One can test the subsystems to perfection individually (for example the engine), but many new issues come up, especially at the interfaces, when the subsystems are put together. Therefore, there is only so much "freezing of specs" that can be done before the whole car is put together and thoroughly tested. Since rigorous testing of the full product takes time (how about the A380?), it is not that uncommon to find out a few months prior to launch that the dimensions on a machined part absolutely needs to be changed as the alternative would be a recall. So, even seemingly frozen specs might need to be changed shortly before production. That doesn't make the manufacturing people, the suppliers, or the customers happy, but that's the way it is unless one wants to build in huge catch-all redesign phases into the timeline and stretch the product development process on paper in advance, but that would be hard to justify to the CEO.
It seems that we are in agreement that design and engineering specs are frozen well in advance of production. Changes are sometimes (always?) necessary after the specs are frozen, but that is something the development phase is at least intended to avoid.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2007, 04:18 AM   #85
southlight
Rep

An update:
Gerhard Richter claims that the time is better than 8:10!

German source:
http://www.n24.de/auto/tests/article...easerId=135841

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2007, 05:45 AM   #86
The CSL
For the love of ///M3
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Peugeot 306 XSI 16v

7:50 for the CSL really puts into relief the effect of those tyres.
      07-09-2007, 06:43 AM   #87
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep
Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
An update:
Gerhard Richter claims that the time is better than 8:10!

German source:
http://www.n24.de/auto/tests/article...easerId=135841

Best regards, south
Translation please!!
      07-09-2007, 06:57 AM   #88
southlight
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epacy View Post
Translation please!!
Quick translation:

...A car like the M3 has been tested on a place where many customers are also planning to drive it: the legendary Nürburgring. Tests on the Nürburgring have been completed successfully. "The time we needed to drive [a lap] was definitely under 8:10 minutes", says Richter smiling...
following is first drive report which is quite encouraging (the steering's very precise)

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0