BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Mporium BMW

06-02-2008, 06:04 PM   #1
ericsmc83
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335i MT

New Toy [WARNING: Hearing Protection Required]

After doing some research, I decided to get the SVSound PB-13 Ultra subwoofer to my home theater setup.

Before I even got the thing out of the box, I could tell it was a monster. After the delivery guy forklifted it to the front door, he nonchalantly quips, "You're neighbors are going to love you!"

I got the Piano Gloss Black finish, and it is absolutely gorgeous. Definitely worth the premium, and it goes well with the other components in my system.

My dad and I spent quite some time this weekend calibrating/positioning the beast. The built-in BASH amp has lots of features and inputs any audiophile would love.

The sound is just something you need to hear in person. It's ruler flat down to about 18Hz, still having noticeable output as low as 10Hz, which comes across as earthquake-like. We watched the Blu-Ray sources of Live Free or Die Hard, Rambo, and 300, and it's an incredible experience. Loud, tight bass, while still maintaining it's musicality. There is a natural gas explosion sequence in the Die Hard film that comes close to inducing the brown note, but I've yet to find it officially!

Luckily the insulation in my house is sufficient enough to withhold most of the sound within the walls without being too loud outside, but bottomline this thing can get loud. Even at levels loud enough to match my mains, it's enough to make things dance across the coffee table and rattle in the kitchen!

If you feel the need for tight, musical, wall-crumbling bass, this sub is for you!

2008 E92 MT | VTT Stage 2+ 20T | VTT Inlets | JB4 MHD E85 | Fuel-It Stage 3 LPFP w/FPR and Return | BMS PI | AR DP | AE Quad Exhaust | Helix FMIC | ER CP | Tial BOV | DCI | AR OCC | Spec Stage 3+ | SMFW
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 06:07 PM   #2
MontegoblueE92
Captain
Rep
Drives: It Like He Stole It

Holy shit man. Very nice. 750W? That's ridiculous!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 06:23 PM   #3
ironjw
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Wow !!!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 06:25 PM   #4
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

You're going to love it. I have a SVS PB-2 Plus with the 900w amp. Every sub they make is outstanding!! My family has named my HT setup "rumble-vision".

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 06:52 PM   #5
CnoteMD
Commander in Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 535i

Garage List
2008 M5  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
What a small world. I am about to order the same sub (in Rosenut). Did you use the Avia DVD/SPL meter package for calibration, or do you recommend another method?

I remember reading that it weighs 155lbs, did they really use a forklift to get it to your home? This worries me as it will be going in my basement theater.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 07:27 AM   #6
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CnoteMD View Post
I remember reading that it weighs 155lbs, did they really use a forklift to get it to your home? This worries me as it will be going in my basement theater.
155? Hell you can lift that by yourself if it weren't so big/awkward/boxy. Two people will have no problem if that's the actual weight.

Question: I'm a selective audiophile myself, (read: I can't afford to be an audiophile yet) but I fail to see the purpose of such a large piece of equiptment outside of an actual home theatre. In the pic you posted it looke like it's in your family room. (Not that it isn't still badass)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 07:40 AM   #7
E86M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
niceeeee......
      06-03-2008, 07:58 AM   #8
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.

what are you using to power this sub?

"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 08:31 AM   #9
MCS
e90 newbie
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 E93

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I think its self powered.

Nice sub - I'm a sunfire guy myself, but may have reconsidered if I was buying today (bought my sunfire 5 years ago).

Nothing adds to a good theater system like a good subwoofer.
      06-03-2008, 10:49 AM   #10
Neurorad
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 340xi

I bought the SVS PB10 2 months ago, small room, great sound. Very large cabinet for a 10" woofer. I was surprised by the large size.

I can't imagine the 13". Seriously, why?

I bet your dad didn't realize how large the cabinet would be, when he told you to pick it out.

I guess that's the problem with SVS - online only (unless you're in Canada). Can't see it before you buy it.

That Ultra series gets great reviews.

Next step...dual subs.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 12:00 PM   #11
Dmitriy@AUTOcouture
Major
Rep
Drives: carefully

What type of setup are you running?

I'm a pretty big HT enthusiast myself, I currently have an all KEF Audio speaker set up and a Velodyne sub. I also have a AudioSource amp connecting to a sub that is under my couch - I highly suggest you get this for your SVSound. The experience is unreal.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 12:14 PM   #12
ericsmc83
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CnoteMD View Post
What a small world. I am about to order the same sub (in Rosenut). Did you use the Avia DVD/SPL meter package for calibration, or do you recommend another method?

You won't be sorry. I didn't order the Avia package they offered. I have a few test tone CD's I made to test levels over the frequency band. I've heard the Avia disc is an awesome calibration tool, though.

A forklift did seem a bit excessive, but as FirstClass mentioned, it is more the size of the box than the weight. Not to say it's light by any means, but two people should have no issue moving it. Once out of the box and packaging, it's much easier to handle/manuever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClass View Post
155? Hell you can lift that by yourself if it weren't so big/awkward/boxy. Two people will have no problem if that's the actual weight.

Question: I'm a selective audiophile myself, (read: I can't afford to be an audiophile yet) but I fail to see the purpose of such a large piece of equiptment outside of an actual home theatre. In the pic you posted it looke like it's in your family room. (Not that it isn't still badass)
I did, too, but it really does wonders for sound. I didn't get it to be loud; I got it for the low-end extension. It can reproduce frequencies beyond human hearing that make those explosions/earthquakes more realistic. But the SPL capability is a nice bonus! Honestly, I prefer my setup over most of the local commercial theater setups as far as SQ is concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunotheboxer View Post
what are you using to power this sub?
There's a dedicated fused 750W BASH amplifier built into the enclosure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post
I bought the SVS PB10 2 months ago, small room, great sound. Very large cabinet for a 10" woofer. I was surprised by the large size.

I can't imagine the 13". Seriously, why?

I bet your dad didn't realize how large the cabinet would be, when he told you to pick it out.

I guess that's the problem with SVS - online only (unless you're in Canada). Can't see it before you buy it.

That Ultra series gets great reviews.

Next step...dual subs.
Those ported boxes have to be big to sound good. My dad was shocked when he first saw it (actually he hadn't even heard of SVS when I was researching) and said it looked like one of those mini-refrigerators.

Duals would be a great addition, although I would begin to worry about the structural integrity of the house I live in!
2008 E92 MT | VTT Stage 2+ 20T | VTT Inlets | JB4 MHD E85 | Fuel-It Stage 3 LPFP w/FPR and Return | BMS PI | AR DP | AE Quad Exhaust | Helix FMIC | ER CP | Tial BOV | DCI | AR OCC | Spec Stage 3+ | SMFW
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 12:34 PM   #13
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: work truck

I have a Thiel SS2 that has 2 10" subs in a sealed enclosure powered by a 1000 w amp.

Really adds more to the music and turning it on off can be noticeable but it depends on the music and the quality of the recording.

Some mid '80s stuff has not bottom end at all. You'd think it was not working.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 01:43 PM   #14
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClass View Post
...Question: I'm a selective audiophile myself, (read: I can't afford to be an audiophile yet) but I fail to see the purpose of such a large piece of equiptment outside of an actual home theatre. In the pic you posted it looke like it's in your family room. (Not that it isn't still badass)

two things- one, I've put my SVS against a supposedly comparable velodyne sub. The velodyne was at least twice the cost of the SVS, but didn't sound nearly as good as the SVS. The owner of the Velodyne is a member here, and would agree.

Two, the larger sub can be much more sonically faithful, and isn't going to distort. It'll be loafing to produce the desired audio levels in most family/HT room setups, so it's going to be extremely tight with great extension. I would never want to buy a sub that I have to work over to get the audio level I want (read: HTiB and most 5.1 package subs), as I've yet to hear one that sounds good compared to my SVS.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 03:33 PM   #15
BigDog
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80

love SVS's stuff... welcome to the club!
      06-06-2008, 08:04 PM   #16
I'm takin' the day off.
South Africa
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsmc83 View Post
After doing some research, I decided to get the SVSound PB-13 Ultra subwoofer to my home theater setup.

Before I even got the thing out of the box, I could tell it was a monster. After the delivery guy forklifted it to the front door, he nonchalantly quips, "You're neighbors are going to love you!"

I got the Piano Gloss Black finish, and it is absolutely gorgeous. Definitely worth the premium, and it goes well with the other components in my system.

My dad and I spent quite some time this weekend calibrating/positioning the beast. The built-in BASH amp has lots of features and inputs any audiophile would love.

The sound is just something you need to hear in person. It's ruler flat down to about 18Hz, still having noticeable output as low as 10Hz, which comes across as earthquake-like. We watched the Blu-Ray sources of Live Free or Die Hard, Rambo, and 300, and it's an incredible experience. Loud, tight bass, while still maintaining it's musicality. There is a natural gas explosion sequence in the Die Hard film that comes close to inducing the brown note, but I've yet to find it officially!

Luckily the insulation in my house is sufficient enough to withhold most of the sound within the walls without being too loud outside, but bottomline this thing can get loud. Even at levels loud enough to match my mains, it's enough to make things dance across the coffee table and rattle in the kitchen!

If you feel the need for tight, musical, wall-crumbling bass, this sub is for you!
thanks for the link my order will be placed soon (once I take delivery of my new home with a dedicated AV room).
      06-06-2008, 08:23 PM   #17
Denon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 soon..

Dam that looks insane, post pics of the rest of the set up.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 08:43 PM   #18
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontegoblueE92 View Post
Holy shit man. Very nice. 750W? That's ridiculous!
No...No It's them red walls... Those are ridiculous!

Kidding kidding, I've had red/rust walls myself in a game room or two.

Sub looks... Intimidating...
      06-07-2008, 03:06 AM   #19
calvino
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: had e90, 330i mystic blue

Garage List
2006 e90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlis View Post
No...No It's them red walls... Those are ridiculous!

Kidding kidding, I've had red/rust walls myself in a game room or two.

me too, I have the same color in my theater room