BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

EXXEL Distributions

09-07-2011, 01:33 PM   #1
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

iPhone audio to iDrive 6NR question

Hello,

This is probably a simple question to existing owners, but I am clueless, as I don't pick up my car for another few weeks.

I currently use my iPhone to get audio-output from a variety of sources other than iTunes and Pandora. For example Live365 internet radio, and streaming from my home media server, over 3G. In my current car, this audio is simply output from the 30-pin jack, and controlled via iPhone screen.

When I plug my iPhone into the Media cradle, how will I access/listen to non-BMW-supported audio playback?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 03:42 PM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Hello,

This is probably a simple question to existing owners, but I am clueless, as I don't pick up my car for another few weeks.

I currently use my iPhone to get audio-output from a variety of sources other than iTunes and Pandora. For example Live365 internet radio, and streaming from my home media server, over 3G. In my current car, this audio is simply output from the 30-pin jack, and controlled via iPhone screen.

When I plug my iPhone into the Media cradle, how will I access/listen to non-BMW-supported audio playback?
Which transport into your car are you currently using for that audio, USB or the AUX port?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 04:15 PM   #3
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Which transport into your car are you currently using for that audio, USB or the AUX port?
In my current car, I use a USB-type interface from the 30pin connection. Nothing from the headphone jack.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 06:21 PM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
In my current car, I use a USB-type interface from the 30pin connection. Nothing from the headphone jack.
If you are using the OEM iPod cable then the audio goes thru the AUX port in the car. Which means that you will not have any audio for those sources if you use the new iPhone cradle for 6NR (that's only an USB connection).
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 08:45 PM   #5
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

So, I will need to use the Media cradle for phone functions/iTunes/Pandora/6NR apps, and the OEM cable + USB port for any other audio sources I want to hear?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 05:06 AM   #6
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
So, I will need to use the Media cradle for phone functions/iTunes/Pandora/6NR apps, and the OEM cable + USB port for any other audio sources I want to hear?
Most probably, yes.

You can test this right now at your home:

- connect your iPhone to your computer via Apple white USB
- play any audio from the iPhone Apps/sources that you want to play in your car
- if you can listen to them in your computer then they could be listened to in the car thru USB.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 04:34 PM   #7
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Sounds like USB is the proper connection for what I need to do. It's a shame I'll have to take it out of the Media cradle for some listening sources.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 06:42 PM   #8
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Sounds like USB is the proper connection for what I need to do. It's a shame I'll have to take it out of the Media cradle for some listening sources.
The Media cradle is another USB port. What you need to determine is if your iPhone outputs the audio that you want to hear thru USB.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 02:28 PM   #9
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
The Media cradle is another USB port. What you need to determine is if your iPhone outputs the audio that you want to hear thru USB.
I understand that I should be able to transmit the audio over Bluetooth, as well?

My friend has a 2011 E90 with Combox/Nav, but no 6NR, for me to test with.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 03:25 PM   #10
Vise
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche GT3 RS

Garage List
2011.75 E90 M3  [10.00]
I might try be able to test this for you... I have a 2011.75 E90 with 6NR with an iPhone 4 and the media cradle. I've tested the A2DP bluetooth audio streaming from my phone, it works fine but that was only with MP3s on the phone itself.

I suspect it won't work but if I get a chance tonight I'll give it a shot with a streaming web radio app (ie. Slacker Radio or Shoutcast).
Past: 2008 BMW M3 Sedan Melbourne Red / Black Novillo Leather
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 03:33 PM   #11
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vise View Post
I might try be able to test this for you... I have a 2011.75 E90 with 6NR with an iPhone 4 and the media cradle. I've tested the A2DP bluetooth audio streaming from my phone, it works fine but that was only with MP3s on the phone itself.

I suspect it won't work but if I get a chance tonight I'll give it a shot with a streaming web radio app (ie. Slacker Radio or Shoutcast).
That would be great! Definitely interested in how you'll work Slack Radio/Shoutcast.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 04:00 PM   #12
lebreeze
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 18’c63s,15’macanturbo,14’ 991s

Garage List
2008 e92 m3  [0.00]
Quote:

Hi Vise,

I just got my 2011.75 also with 6nr and media cradle. Do I have to get something else for my iphone to fit into the cradle?
      09-14-2011, 05:12 PM   #13
Vise
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011.75 E90 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
That would be great! Definitely interested in how you'll work Slack Radio/Shoutcast.
Well that was surprising. It totally works!

Was able to playback Slacker and Shoutcast (and presumably any other audio app) over both USB/Media Cradle as well as Bluetooth audio streaming. Connected the phone to the car (media cradle or Bluetooth), started the streaming app, and it plays through the car. Piece of cake!

I think the key is that the app in question has to be recognized as an iPhone audio app, in both cases the 'Play' arrow icon was displayed in the status bar across the top of the phone. Otherwise it is good to go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebreeze View Post
I just got my 2011.75 also with 6nr and media cradle. Do I have to get something else for my iphone to fit into the cradle?
Not entirely following you, assuming you have an iPhone 4 just snap it in... to stream audio (ie. Slacker) start the audio app on your phone. To start BMW Apps make sure you have the BMW Connected app installed on your phone and running. Hopefully your dealer sold you the right cradle, I got one when I picked up my car but of course they gave me the USB audio only one instead of the correct media cradle. No issues in swapping it out for the right one (and paying the difference of course).

The only thing I've noticed is that the phone gets damn hot when it is in the cradle, anyone else notice the same thing? My cradle has the fan but doesn't seem to do a damn thing. Mind you the battery on my iPhone 4 is toast so that could have something to do with it.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 10:14 PM   #14
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well that was surprising. It totally works!

Was able to playback Slacker and Shoutcast (and presumably any other audio app) over both USB/Media Cradle as well as Bluetooth audio streaming. Connected the phone to the car (media cradle or Bluetooth), started the streaming app, and it plays through the car. Piece of cake!

I think the key is that the app in question has to be recognized as an iPhone audio app, in both cases the 'Play' arrow icon was displayed in the status bar across the top of the phone. Otherwise it is good to go...
Good to hear! I was afraid that the iPhone screen would be locked out from input once you plug it into the cradle. What selection do you pick in the iDrive for Shoutcast audio?

Also, how can I confirm I'm getting the Media cradle? I ordered the Convenience package, which comes with iPod/USB adapter, as well as BMW Apps. What do I need to select for the Media cradle?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 07:15 AM   #15
Vise
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011.75 E90 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Good to hear! I was afraid that the iPhone screen would be locked out from input once you plug it into the cradle. What selection do you pick in the iDrive for Shoutcast audio?

Also, how can I confirm I'm getting the Media cradle? I ordered the Convenience package, which comes with iPod/USB adapter, as well as BMW Apps. What do I need to select for the Media cradle?
You need to choose your streaming audio app on the phone itself, not possible to control via iDrive unfortunately.

As for the media cradle, it is an optional part and not included with the car. I'll confirm the part number when I take a look at the box... I stole the images of the cradle itself from someone else on the forum. It was around $200-250 or so.

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 01:17 PM   #16
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You need to choose your streaming audio app on the phone itself, not possible to control via iDrive unfortunately.
OK, I can handle that.

Quote:
As for the media cradle, it is an optional part and not included with the car. I'll confirm the part number when I take a look at the box... I stole the images of the cradle itself from someone else on the forum. It was around $200-250 or so.
So you don't ever get the cradle with a new car, no matter the options? It's a dealer accessory that is never listed on the window sticker, for example?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 03:30 PM   #17
Vise
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011.75 E90 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
So you don't ever get the cradle with a new car, no matter the options? It's a dealer accessory that is never listed on the window sticker, for example?
Correct. Be prepared to drop another $200-250 on the cradle if you need it... for me it wasn't a huge issue, I knew it was an option but I wanted to use the USB port in the arm rest for my iPod so it made sense. I guess.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 03:44 PM   #18
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Correct. Be prepared to drop another $200-250 on the cradle if you need it... for me it wasn't a huge issue, I knew it was an option but I wanted to use the USB port in the arm rest for my iPod so it made sense. I guess.
While I'm waiting on a cradle, can I get the exact same functionality of BMW Apps, etc., with my iPhone4 + standard white Apple cable?

In other words, is the cradle just for the convenience factor?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 07:25 PM   #19
Vise
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011.75 E90 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
While I'm waiting on a cradle, can I get the exact same functionality of BMW Apps, etc., with my iPhone4 + standard white Apple cable?

In other words, is the cradle just for the convenience factor?
Somewhat... BMW Apps will work via the normal USB cable but the cradle does add the Plug-In capability (ie. iPod out) along with Video output. These may or may not be important to you though. I figured the adapter was part of the package when ordering BMW Apps so I went for it... it is certainly quite easy to snap in/out so appreciate the ease of use.

Now let's just hope the next iPhone uses the same adapter...
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 07:39 AM   #20
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Somewhat... BMW Apps will work via the normal USB cable but the cradle does add the Plug-In capability (ie. iPod out) along with Video output. These may or may not be important to you though. I figured the adapter was part of the package when ordering BMW Apps so I went for it... it is certainly quite easy to snap in/out so appreciate the ease of use.
Can you tell me more about the Plug-In capability? I don't think I need iPod out, necessarily. The cradle definitely looks more convenient than plugging it into the white cord.

Quote:
Now let's just hope the next iPhone uses the same adapter...
Early indications seems like it won't Is there enough room in the cradle to support a phone that's about 20% wider than an iPhone 4?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 09:07 AM   #21
Vise
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011.75 E90 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Can you tell me more about the Plug-In capability? I don't think I need iPod out, necessarily. The cradle definitely looks more convenient than plugging it into the white cord.

Early indications seems like it won't Is there enough room in the cradle to support a phone that's about 20% wider than an iPhone 4?
Per the pics below Plug-In provides a full iPod interface on your iDrive screen... its pretty slick although I haven't played around with it too much. To be honest I'm pretty happy the normal iDrive interface with album art... especially since you can split screen the entertainment details with navigation. In my setup I have the nav map in large on the left and then the album art/MP3 info in a smaller window on the right.

And doesn't seem like the adapter will fit anything wider... I guess we'll just have to sell the iPhone 4 adapter on the forum if/when we upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 09:50 AM   #22
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Per the pics below Plug-In provides a full iPod interface on your iDrive screen... its pretty slick although I haven't played around with it too much. To be honest I'm pretty happy the normal iDrive interface with album art... especially since you can split screen the entertainment details with navigation. In my setup I have the nav map in large on the left and then the album art/MP3 info in a smaller window on the right.
Thanks for sharing those pics, I understand now. Does video-out work only in Park?

Quote:
And doesn't seem like the adapter will fit anything wider... I guess we'll just have to sell the iPhone 4 adapter on the forum if/when we upgrade.
Damn. Well, I'm not eligible for an iPhone5 upgrade until May 2012, so I will just see how much the white cord bugs me. Didn't the Media cradle just come out a few months ago? It could be 6 months after the new phone comes out that BMW even releases a proper cradle for it.
Appreciate 0