BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

10-15-2008, 12:37 PM   #23
ikos
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: subaru wrx sti

pics!!

MORE PICS!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 12:51 PM   #24
keanu1
tiamat
Romania
Rep
Drives: 525 d

very very very nice!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 12:56 PM   #25
keanu1
tiamat
Romania
Rep
Drives: 525 d

did you ask why the euro spec is more expensive than the u.s.?!?!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 01:42 PM   #26
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by keanu1 View Post
They get the brake regen feature and quite a few other things.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 02:02 PM   #27
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Just a little help...you mentioned that you tried to activate night mode but it was not working. The reason for this is because you also have the Traffic Mode map selected under the option menu. The traffic mode map (even though your car can't receive traffic info) is not capable of night mode. Just go to options under the Nav and un-check the traffic map selection. Then you should be able to switch between day and night modes easily. Good luck...it took me a minute to figure this one out too!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 03:46 PM   #28
cipri
Q3D
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [0.00]
2009 E92 M3 6MT  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90M3CDFR View Post
Picked up our 2009 M3 sedan last Saturday in Munich. I very happy to see that the space gray and red fox novillo leather combination worked well together, as we had not been able to see a good example of it in person (a couple of shots attached). Delivery at BMW Welt went well, the building is really impressive and since ours were the first delivery that morning, I had the place almost to myself for about an hour. As some others have noted, the technical briefings and the like are not very sophisticated, but the technology employed to make the show is pretty neat. Ours was one of two M3’s being delivered that morning, along with an M5. It was really nice to have the keys handed over and drive it down the ramp inside the building and out to the parking garage to complete the tour of the BMW Welt and have breakfast.

From there I drove toward our new home in Paris, using at first mostly the B (secondary roads from Munich to south of Stuttgart and then on to Ramstein for a short stop at the PX/base). This was a couple of hundred miles done gently and off the autobahn. From Ramstein though I was mainly on the autobahn until crossing into France, to the autoroutes. Although the autobahns may be less speed restricted than the autoroutes in France (which are 130km/h, observed more in the breach), the road quality in the (expensive) French toll roads is about the best in the world that I have driven and lane discipline is excellent. For about the last two hours of the trip I was accompanied to two new 911 Turbos with Luxembourg plates, who, had they been more willing to brave the occasional photo-radar, would doubtlessly have flown away from my self-restrained break in speed limit, but they seemed very taken with the M3 as were many of the French and Germans at the frequent fuel stops along the way.

Impressions of the car now being able to drive it in Europe (versus my test drives in the U.S. before ordering): an ideal long-range cruiser for the European roads. And once in Paris, it was fantastic in the dogfight traffic of the peripherique. The DCT is really quite impressive and I really liked the EDC soft-setting for the cobblestones (and was also appreciated by the wife when we drove to Belgium the day after). The wipers worked well at high speeds (a pet peeve of mine with our previous E46 M3). And having the four-door is a boon with our son and the child seat. The front seats are really fantastic, and the only thing I would improve is to add memory to the lumbar and the side bolsters.

The new iDrive is very good (my first experience with iDrive), and the Navigation displays are excellent. Most of the other gadgets (Bluetooth, PDC) worked well too. I did find that if we switch drivers in the middle of a trip, and we tried to continue the same route, it would sometime reset the preferences for avoiding highways, and would try to send us through some other strange route. If we put in the final destination anew, it was fine then. Odd. Another nit: the display brightness control is not very good; it doesn't seem to vary the brightness as well as the ones in the E46 dash.

Some other things that I noticed: there is an option for a night display in the navigation, but it did not seem to modify the display at all. Anyone got it to work yet? Hopefully it does work and does so like our Garmin GPS did.

As others with US-spec M3s in Europe have noticed, I found the GPS traffic info system did not work. I have emailed BMW International Sales to ask about getting that fixed ASAP. I’m also hoping to find a way to have BMW assist sorted out for here as well (the car is a U.S.-spec model, the European spec ones, are absolutely crazy expensive even without factoring in the euro-dollar rate).

I was surprised that the rear seats don’t have storage nets like those in our E46 coupe M3, and the tool kit was missing several tools as well as no flashlight in the glovebox. I’m hoping these are oversights that BMW will correct.

Between the trip back from Munich and a trip to Chievres, we’ve logged close to 1200km already so, with a couple of more short trips we have planned we’ll soon soak up the remaining km to the break-in service. For the time being the only work planned on the car is installation of the alarm, wheels locks, and a GPS tracker, and when December rolls around, mounting the winter tires we shipped from TireRack for ski trips.

If there any other M3 owners in Paris or nearby interested in meeting up at some point (Le Mans in June or Spa later on?), let me know. Also will be making several trips to the ‘Ring over the next couple of years that we are in Europe and would enjoy connecting with anyone planning to head there as well.
Do you leave in Paris permanently or just for few months. How did you manage to register the US spec M3 in Europe. If you do the ED you can have the US spec car in Europe not more than 6 months, so I was curious how you did it. I am thinking doing the same, buy the car from here, do the Welt and keep it in Italy, (not an M3, a 128i), so if you can clarify that will be great, but the problem is that I am not sure I can register it there.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 03:47 PM   #29
cipri
Q3D
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [0.00]
2009 E92 M3 6MT  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by keanu1 View Post
There are few differences. Bai esti roman sau te prefaci?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 04:16 PM   #30
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

very nice car!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 04:55 PM   #31
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

The new taillights look infinitely better. The rear is much wider and more aggressive. Great color combo, though I don't think I'd ever get Space Grey ever again (gets boring).
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 04:57 PM   #32
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by cipri View Post
Do you leave in Paris permanently or just for few months. How did you manage to register the US spec M3 in Europe. If you do the ED you can have the US spec car in Europe not more than 6 months, so I was curious how you did it. I am thinking doing the same, buy the car from here, do the Welt and keep it in Italy, (not an M3, a 128i), so if you can clarify that will be great, but the problem is that I am not sure I can register it there.
Thanks
He perhaps has military or other special credentials. I know that there are military guys on the forums that buy the cars while stationed over there and keep them over there for years. Some even avoid GGT upon return. Nice deal! Although its the least they deserve for their fine service to protect our nation!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 05:37 PM   #33
AK
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: 320d

Garage List
2007 320d Sedan  [0.00]
Great write-up! I enjoyed reading it!
And great car! Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 05:39 PM   #34
E90M3CDFR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 Sportwagon

It was done through diplomatic delivery (very similar program to that for the military/NATO sales); you can choose whether to buy the Euro-spec car or the U.S.-spec. If you buy the Euro-spec, you can option it out with equipment not available on the US cars, but then you can't take it back to the U.S., plus of course the price difference is quite large, esp if you want to pay in dollars and need to deal with Euro exchange rate. Since we were opting for every option available on the U.S. spec, the US-price was even better yet compared to the European ones which across the board price the options more expensive.

On the whole, the diplomatic delivery program is a pretty good deal thru BMW (this will be the 3rd one we've bought this way), although other mfrs, like Volvo, have better programs in terms of the price discount and how they manage the program/delivery. What I finally figured out in the end was that it was better to deal directly with the BMW Intl' Sales group rather than going through individual dealers as they often have no clue as to how the program works.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 05:59 PM   #35
AMB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 M3CS|05 E46XiT|18 Model 3

Quick n' Dirty Pshop Warning

I do like the shape of the new tails, but I still think it might look best if matched to the outgoing Blacklines or maybe tweaked a little similar to the E46. I guess I'm just a fan of the two tone tails. Again, forgive my quick n' dirty pshop. (Blacked Out Wheels FTW!)

[edited to show the original, an option w/o time attack, and one more sort of X5 inspired striped tail]
Attached Images

'05 M3 CS | Silver Grey | M Cloth
OEM CSL Front - Rear - CF Roof | Dinan S2 Performance Pack | 19" RAC Monolite RG4s

Last edited by AMB; 10-16-2008 at 04:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 06:53 PM   #36
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
Congrats on the 09!!
      10-15-2008, 07:22 PM   #37
KKSigs
M4 CSL FBG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 CSL FBG

Congrats very nice!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 07:46 PM   #38
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMB View Post
I do like the shape of the new tails, but I still think it might look best if matched to the outgoing Blacklines or maybe tweaked a little similar to the E46. I guess I'm just a fan of the two tone tails. Again, forgive my quick n' dirty pshop. (Blacked Out Wheels FTW!)
wow, that looks so much better.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 07:57 PM   #39
Griz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Quote:
I like the first set of tails. But the blacked out wheels (and the time attack stripe... and "for the win") all need to die.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 08:11 PM   #40
PLAYON
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 550i

Garage List
2008 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2003 Audi A4  [0.00]
Quote:
I really dislike the "time attack" look but that is absolutely sicccccck!
      10-15-2008, 08:35 PM   #41
DanB.
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

very nice. I like the new tail lights looks very good. Congratz
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 09:16 PM   #42
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

: drool:

absolutely amazing!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 09:24 PM   #43
Bimmer Nerd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT F80

absolutely MAGNIFICENT !!! congrats man, i wish i could feel the same way as you did when you took those keys
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 09:27 PM   #44
Bimmer Nerd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT F80

Quote:
that is amazing bro, very very nicely done, PROPS, if i owned that car i would definitely do it or at LEAST do some real hard thinking about why i shouldn't. you just gave some 09 bmw buyers a new excuse to buy one
Appreciate 0