BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM
Closed Thread

04-17-2013, 08:42 PM   #67
Merlosso
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Results

I'm running the BPMSport Stage I tune. And my review of it can be found here:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816790

Like I said in the review, I have no basis of comparison other than stock, but I couldn't be happier. I haven't dynoed the car before or after but I don't care to. For me it's not about peak hp numbers; it's about overall drive-ability in a broad range of conditions from around town driving to intense track sessions. Other tunes may be similar and might even show a few more hp on a dyno sheet, but I wouldn't switch. The BPMSport tune is everything I was looking for, and then some.

Beyond that, I've spoken to Mike many times both leading up to the purchase and afterwards, and he really knows his stuff. He's passionate about what he does and I don't think he'll ever consider the work to be "finished." He keeps teasing us about the things he's working on and upcoming offerings, and I'll be first in line for whatever it is.

BPMSport is my preference but like others have said, it comes down to personal choice. Pick the tune that you feel is right for your car, and from the tuner you feel most comfortable with.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 08:51 PM   #68
Rk-d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT3 Touring, 993 C4S, M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfly_M3 View Post

Tom,
I have had both of them and I have had experience with both tunes. I can tell you with confidence that BPM tune is far superior over ESS and I have two other people that can vouche for that if you have doubts. I would like to dyno and see what happens with the BPM tune, but regardless of the outcome on a dyno at WOT, Mikes tune is miles ahead on drivability, responsiveness and low to midrange tq under WOT and partial throttle.

Thank you for reading.
Out of curiousity - I'm assuming the ESS tune was not on the 240E DME? It might make comparison between the tunes problematic. I just updated my DME to the latest version and I noticed clear (subjective) improvement in drivability.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 08:57 PM   #69
SflBimmer8484
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: .

The top 3 tunes that customers come into our shop with are ours obviously the Bmp tune and evolve. I always ask how its working out for them and I have heard nothing but great things about all 3.

With all the good feedback I also hear some horror stories like the car wasn't running right with many hicups under load,idle issues and have even found one company sell the customer a stock 240e tune when they couldn't figure out the problem. I wont disclose the company who did this but that is extremely shady and stuff like this does happen.

Point is go with someone you trust. Counting the number of people with a tune is important but having a tuner that is willing to explain things and work out any issues at the drop of a hat is even more important.

Good luck with your research.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 09:07 PM   #70
Chriskm3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotk View Post
Out of curiousity - I'm assuming the ESS tune was not on the 240E DME? It might make comparison between the tunes problematic. I just updated my DME to the latest version and I noticed clear (subjective) improvement in drivability.
No. the 240e was the first series of tune installs before the blower was even installed
Vf supercharger + tune/H&R coils/ Akra evolution exhaust/Volk te37/ Rs-3 tires/ Brembos /TIal BOV/ OSS blacked out headlights/LUX v3/Led taillights/ Challenge Front lip/ P3 vent gauge/ F10 m5 shift mob/Matte black front grills/ And a funky air fresher
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 09:38 PM   #71
Superfly_M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckRodgers View Post
It looks like you dyno tested on different days before and after. Tunes make very little power maybe 10-12 whp by themselves. Without same day testing conditions, fuel etc.. your numbers can vary 5-10 hp or so very easily. I highly doubt you actually lost power unless you did not warm up the car before you ran it or there was another factor involved. Do you have all of the files from the tuned dyno runs? if so can you post them? If you notice on your dyno's the two stock baseline runs are 3 runs apart and 16 min apart, you made 10 whp more on the later of the two, why? most likely because your car was up to ideal operating temp by then VS your first run. Big mistake people make with this car is not knowing it has to be in it's ideal operating temp to deliver the best perfromance on a dyno. Not saying this is the case for you but without comparing several tuned runs back to back there is no way to know.
Hey Buck, or Rogers. Sorry I don't know how to adress you. I was browsing through the forums briefly and I saw your post. I'm sorry I can't reply to your post right now as I am on mobile, but I promise to get back to you soon. Please don't edit your post pal.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 10:43 PM   #72
zibawal
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5D

Dinan
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 11:40 PM   #73
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
... to say the least it amazes me how long ess has been around and how long bpm has been around. if you can get this many people to stand by benvo's tune in just a short amount of time well shit they must be doing something right. in no way am i saying that ess' tune is inferior or that there is a superior choice. maybe there is and maybe there isn't, i'm not educated enough in that field to ever make a statement about it. but when we all know that only a small amount of power can be extracted from just a tune, on a stock s65, then it comes down to the tuner personally. their customer service, knowledge, and so forth. yes dyno graphs are great proof to back up the talk, but when you have so many people here who say nothing but amazing things about this tune...what more do you want? jump on the bandwagon
Spot on.

I had DMS on my E46 M3 and I didn't feel a darn thing in my butt dyno. I don't know anything about the current tune they offer for the E9x M3s. That was my experience.

But with the BPM tune, the car definitely is responsive throughout the throttle input. It's amazing. Hence the reason people say amazing things about it. We are experiencing something amazing. And it nothing against the other tuning fraternity. Members are discussing their respective individual experiences. There is nothing wrong with that.

If I don't experience something then I shouldn't comment on it or belittle it. Simple.
      04-18-2013, 12:09 AM   #74
Aus_M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

My understanding is that the fuel here in Australia is significantly different to that of the USA. I have been told by ESS that they have tuned and tested their software locally.

Now i know this can all be changed remotely but there are no issues using the BPM tune with Australian fuel?

Also mike, would you be able to remotely deactivate my EDC warning when I install suspension? would this be the same effect as a macht Schnell unit?

Thanks for helping with all the questions
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 12:54 AM   #75
Jcblue
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW m3 frozen blue

WOW thank you everybody for your input!!!will post results after everything and who I went with....as far as mods am going with Active
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread