BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

03-14-2010, 04:03 AM   #1
platinumpapi
Sylish Driver
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

Do any of you M3 leasers, Mod your car's?

I know the majority of m3 owners finance their cars. But, to all of the few who do lease their cars, do you guys mod your car, or do you leave it as it is?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2010, 06:49 AM   #2
e.n335
Austria
Rep
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009

It's not super-clean to mod a leased car, it does not belong to you. If you are willing to buy the car after the lease and keep it or sell it by your own, you might be good though.

Eugen
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2010, 10:28 AM   #3
cpiguy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Yes, leasing is nothing more than an alternative financial vehicle. However, when the lease is over, and if you decide to return the car, you may be obligated to put some of it back to stock, such as wheels and exhaust.

CPIGUY
2017 Ferrari 488 Spider
2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
2019 BMW X5 MSport, in coming
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2010, 09:16 PM   #4
SoreHead
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 coupe - Manual

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
My dealership were giving me contacts to get work done so it doesn't bother them. Not sure what they would expect when it comes time to give it back if I don't hang onto it. I probably will as the buyout is only 34k and I think I'll get more than that for a 3 year old M3 with only 45000km on it
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2010, 09:33 PM   #5
OMID INC
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E70 X5

The car is yours to do whatever you like. You are paying for that. Do what you want to do and return the car the way you received it.

Several dealerships have told me this word for word.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2010, 09:40 PM   #6
SoreHead
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 coupe - Manual

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
Only thing is I wouldn't want to spend several thousand dollars that I will lose if I decide to hand the car back.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2010, 09:48 PM   #7
Ctm309
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 M3 AW Carbon roof DCT '11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoreHead View Post
Only thing is I wouldn't want to spend several thousand dollars that I will lose if I decide to hand the car back.
The parts sell pretty quickly, the ratio of enjoyment to the little less return is worth it.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2010, 10:20 PM   #8
platinumpapi
Sylish Driver
Rep

sounds good, so basically i can mod it all i want, but if i decide not to keep the car at the end of the lease, ,i will have to return it in the same condition i received it.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 01:48 AM   #9
ooowowizstev
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW E92 M3  [10.00]
I am on a lease.
      03-15-2010, 02:18 AM   #10
OMID INC
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E70 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumpapi View Post
sounds good, so basically i can mod it all i want, but if i decide not to keep the car at the end of the lease, ,i will have to return it in the same condition i received it.
in my experience, this is true. i have leased several cars and never had an issue with modifications.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 02:32 AM   #11
platinumpapi
Sylish Driver
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooowowizstev View Post
I am on a lease.
What current mods do you have? can you share with us some pics?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 02:36 AM   #12
ooowowizstev
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
What current mods do you have? can you share with us some pics?
I'm on H&R springs, eis race exhaust, tecnocraft chargepipe, wheels, and vorsteiner goods. I currently do not have an updated pic. But really, the only thing I wouldn't do due to the lease is probably a supercharger only because it would be an extreme hassle to remove. Other than that, I would mod away.
      03-15-2010, 02:42 AM   #13
platinumpapi
Sylish Driver
Rep

sounds like you have lots of mods lol , so once it comes down to the removal of all the mods, you'll be taking the out yourself, or letting someone else do it for you? I have yet to mod any of my cars, that's why im asking
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 03:00 AM   #14
ooowowizstev
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
sounds like you have lots of mods lol , so once it comes down to the removal of all the mods, you'll be taking the out yourself, or letting someone else do it for you? I have yet to mod any of my cars, that's why im asking
We all start somewhere . Yes, I'll be removing most of my mods on my own if I decide to return at the end of the lease. But as of right now, my plans are to buy out at the end of my lease.
      03-15-2010, 05:21 AM   #15
platinumpapi
Sylish Driver
Rep

I want to start of with kidney grills , and probably some angel lights. Are those easy to install with the help of some instructions , or would you recommend i get some help from someone?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 05:47 AM   #16
CATCH_M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

If you have never modded you should probably get a friend who is knowledgeable to help you, supplemented by the DIY Guides on this website. If you are uncomfortable/get completely frustrated maybe bring it to an Indy shop you trust.

Mods are ok as long as you return to stock.

I have heard of only 1 instance where a person modded their car to bits, (supercharger, the works), and was denied return @ lease end because of it. But I am very sure this is the EXCEPTION. And as long as you're not giving ur N/A car boost, alcohol injection, stroker, etc. this won't happen 99.9%. If it's a leased car, I would do any and all bolt-ons .
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 06:11 AM   #17
ooowowizstev
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
I want to start of with kidney grills , and probably some angel lights. Are those easy to install with the help of some instructions , or would you recommend i get some help from someone?
Grills and angel eyes are very simple so you should be able to do those on your own with the help of the DIY's in the DIY section.
      03-15-2010, 08:34 AM   #18
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

This was my old variant and it was a lease.

http://www.arcaudio.com/productpics/...ews-8.08-2.pdf
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 09:13 AM   #19
saeedg48
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.1 GT3

If I was bound by a lease I'd do rims and and ECU b/c you can always bring the rims w/t you and the ECU Isn't an arm and a leg. But no bumper /lighting /stereo /and other major engine mods.. (maybe exhaust) So you can sell it, buy it. The ECU being the exception but maybe you can work something out whoever you get it from.

2015 Porsche 991.1 GT3
2015 F80 M3 -- Individual; Space Grey
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 10:50 AM   #20
MN M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

I'm surprised that people are advocating modifying a car that someone doesn't own. By definition, a lease means renting a car. Yes, you can purchase it at the end of the lease, assuming you want to, can afford to, and are willing to take the deal the dealership is offering. But, unless you know with 100% certainty that you're buying the car (in which case, why did you lease it?), then you shouldn't modify it. First, with the exception of some minor cosmetic mods that are easily reversible (and, yes, you'd have to return the car to 100% stock state to return it at the end of the lease), mods will usually permanently alter the car. Tune? Nope....the ECU will show it, even if you return it to a "stock tune." Springs? You can reverse it to stock if you're willing to pay hundreds of dollars for a 4-wheel swap + alignment. Brakes? Same thing. Exhaust? If you want to keep the stock exhaust in your garage for 3+ years and then monkey around with reinstalling it (assuming no pipes were cut in installing the aftermarket unit), okay. Wheels? Same thing. A s/c is out of the question - permanent modifications are made when you install that thing.

Bottom line - unless you wish to pis* away thousands of dollars in labor and the parts (used performance parts aren't worth much - anyone who says differently is lying), don't mod a leased car.
2009 E92 M3 - Jerez Black/Black w/ black carbon leather interior, 6 spd., Cold, Premium, Technology, 19" OZ Racing wheels (black), iPod/USB. Mods: aPe air filter, Borla exhaust, H&R sport springs, UUC Evo3 SS w/ DSSR, Power Pulley Kit, carbon kidney grills, Vorsteiner front air dam, carbon side gills, smoked side markers
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 02:27 PM   #21
BMdblU
Brigadier General
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN M3 View Post
I'm surprised that people are advocating modifying a car that someone doesn't own. By definition, a lease means renting a car. Yes, you can purchase it at the end of the lease, assuming you want to, can afford to, and are willing to take the deal the dealership is offering. But, unless you know with 100% certainty that you're buying the car (in which case, why did you lease it?), then you shouldn't modify it. First, with the exception of some minor cosmetic mods that are easily reversible (and, yes, you'd have to return the car to 100% stock state to return it at the end of the lease), mods will usually permanently alter the car. Tune? Nope....the ECU will show it, even if you return it to a "stock tune." Springs? You can reverse it to stock if you're willing to pay hundreds of dollars for a 4-wheel swap + alignment. Brakes? Same thing. Exhaust? If you want to keep the stock exhaust in your garage for 3+ years and then monkey around with reinstalling it (assuming no pipes were cut in installing the aftermarket unit), okay. Wheels? Same thing. A s/c is out of the question - permanent modifications are made when you install that thing.

Bottom line - unless you wish to pis* away thousands of dollars in labor and the parts (used performance parts aren't worth much - anyone who says differently is lying), don't mod a leased car.

Not sure I understand your point. Tons of people finance these cars and mod them. The car is not yours in this situation either until it is paid off. People also buy the cars out right and keep them for short time periods of 2-4 years and mod. Inevitably, whether you lease, finance, or purchase the car needs to be parted out and you've 'wasted' your money. It's a money pit regardless. Pick your poison.

I lease because it makes more financial sense for my situation/business. I keep all my stock parts in the garage and will return the car to stock when the time comes. Sure it's a bit of a pain taking everything apart, but it's worth every penny/minute for me. High demand mods, especially OEM ones usually sell quickly and I've never had a problem selling.

Not to nit pick, but the S/C is a bit extreme regardless of your purchase option. How many guys have one on here, a handful?

Last edited by BMdblU; 03-15-2010 at 02:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 02:44 PM   #22
bunnn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: like a grandma

Is there a real difference between modifying a leased/financed/bought out car? When you sell/return your car, the mods are probably coming off anyways. I mean, mods rarely ever improve the price of your car anyways...if one cared enough about the money they would have to part it out, just like a leased car. The real difference may be that the purchased cars may be kept longer, so you get to play with your parts longer. But that's really only for those who opt to keep their car for a longer period of time.

However, I do agree on using fully replaceable parts..not a real fan of hacking/welding oem parts. And I think it's safe to say most of the parts/mods that are done here is fully reversible.

Also, the S/C..isn't the only kit that requires "permanent" modification the G-POWER kit, which requires drilling into some OEM parts?