BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

04-15-2007, 06:53 PM   #23
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3-E46M3-E46Wagon-E89Z4-E36

Garage List
1994 325is Race Car  [0.00]
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
I agree with Adam. If the weight comes in close to 3600 lbs and we're only getting 414 hp in the states, I'll be buying another Porsche.
It's hard for me to beleive some of you folks are going to make purchase decisions based on numbers only and not on how the car drives and feels. I'd recommend driving the car before making any decision.
      04-15-2007, 07:25 PM   #24
Smoltz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 04 Challenge Stradale + 02 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierman64 View Post
It's hard for me to beleive some of you folks are going to make purchase decisions based on numbers only and not on how the car drives and feels. I'd recommend driving the car before making any decision.
Last time I checked, even BMWs are subject to the laws of gravity. Furthermore, it's not that I would rule it out entirely, it just reduces the probability that I will buy it.

-Adam
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2007, 10:34 PM   #25
kyotousa
Banned
Rep
Drives: Acura TSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoltz View Post
Last time I checked, even BMWs are subject to the laws of gravity. Furthermore, it's not that I would rule it out entirely, it just reduces the probability that I will buy it.

-Adam
lol exactly....people keep saying you donno how it'll drive
but when all the specs are out you pretty much know how fast it'll go...
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2007, 03:00 AM   #26
Steved
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CSL, AMG ML63, B7 RS4 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyotousa View Post
lol exactly....people keep saying you donno how it'll drive
but when all the specs are out you pretty much know how fast it'll go...
Well, as was said on another forum anyone who decides that a 185mph 260 bhp/tonne sports sedan isn't fast enough, needs to check their pulse.

We live in an age when it surely can't be long before we're all condemmed to drive around in GPS monitored eco-fuel boxes. How many more 400+ bhp sports cars will we see being launched beyond this decade?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2007, 06:13 AM   #27
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep
Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steved View Post
Well, as was said on another forum anyone who decides that a 185mph 260 bhp/tonne sports sedan isn't fast enough, needs to check their pulse.
I was thinking about this the last couple of days. Seem to be splitting hairs over something that produces over 400hp. I guess when you get into that bracket and get all wrapped up in every little detail, you get like that. But, step back a moment and think, that is a powerful machine. Perhaps we nit-pick too much. Just can't wait for the mag tests.
      04-16-2007, 09:41 AM   #28
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steved View Post

We live in an age when it surely can't be long before we're all condemmed to drive around in GPS monitored eco-fuel boxes. How many more 400+ bhp sports cars will we see being launched beyond this decade?

Very true indeed. GM's Mr. Lutz has already put the hold on some models pending the outcome of the next emissions standards. The Blue Devil/SS made it in under the wire though!

In response to the people asking how some of of us could decide on a car before it's driven...well, my response is that I expect the M3 to be as close a sports car as any sedan can be. It sets the benchmark. Maybe my expectations are too high, but if I wanted mediocre I'd go elsewhere. And, if the weight is too high and the hp not proportional by today's high standards, then I will look elsewhere or lessen my expectations and buy the M3 anyway. And, I don't really care if the car can top out @ 186...whatever; it's the journey going from 20 to 120 that's fun.

In the end, I don't want another heavy/high HP sedan. As the weight goes up, the responsiveness and fun factor diminishes.

I respect all of these discussions on EU weight, etc... but it can become very confusing. If you look on the Porsche forums, you'll find that they say it is BMW that grossly under estimates their vehicle weight. (I.E. the 997tt weighs roughly 3495lbs. in the states v. the claimed 3483lbs. for the new M.) That is obviously well less than the 50kg difference claimed by Steved. I know, it's the different standards and integrity issues, but which manufacturer do you believe?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2007, 10:20 AM   #29
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
If you look on the Porsche forums, you'll find that they say it is BMW that grossly under estimates their vehicle weight. (I.E. the 997tt weighs roughly 3495lbs. in the states v. the claimed 3483lbs. for the new M.) That is obviously well less than the 50kg difference claimed by Steved. I know, it's the different standards and integrity issues, but which manufacturer do you believe?
This is BS..... Porsche guys calling BMW for underestimating weight? Porsche still releases weights with no fluids. Yeah, oil is an optoin.
      04-16-2007, 11:21 AM   #30
Steved
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CSL, AMG ML63, B7 RS4 Avant

Quote:
I respect all of these discussions on EU weight, etc... but it can become very confusing. If you look on the Porsche forums, you'll find that they say it is BMW that grossly under estimates their vehicle weight. (I.E. the 997tt weighs roughly 3495lbs. in the states v. the claimed 3483lbs. for the new M.) That is obviously well less than the 50kg difference claimed by Steved. I know, it's the different standards and integrity issues, but which manufacturer do you believe?
Well I am on both forums and having weighed both brands I would say they are both as accurate as eachother. Porsche always deliver more power than the quoted figures (certainly those press cars that I have tested in the past few years), and up until recently BMW have often fallen short particularly with the E46 M3. Recent M-models such as the Z4M have delivered above (or exactly) as claimed and M5 and M6 seem to deliver (like Porsche) more than claimed.

In my experience the main German prestige brands (BMW, Porsche, Audi and Mercedes) sit in a very narrow corridor of talent and share many of the same principles and values. You often find people throwing stones at each other on forums, but in reality I don't find the differences that great. They're all Germans after all...
Appreciate 0