BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery

03-20-2008, 12:49 AM   #23
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
Congrats! Looks great.
      03-20-2008, 01:30 AM   #24
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Urus, 958.2 TTS, 997 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3forever View Post
I never trust those "hand wash" detailers, especially with a 70k car.
Some cities in SoCal have no choice.
      03-20-2008, 01:55 AM   #25
Los Angeles
Steve Forte Rio
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08' 328i

Quote:
So what kind of detailers do you go to?

"handless" detailers?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2008, 02:05 AM   #26
badfish
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
It's only 70k and it's just a car. I like my M3 but the day it gets a few scratches it won't hurt my feelings. Besides, I see Ferraris, Bentleys, Lambos there almost every day. The car is fine, the paint is fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles

"handless" detailers?
Hahaha, good point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel
Badfish, a lot (and I mean a lot) of people are curious about how the non-ZTP car compares to the ZTP equipped car. Any comments on:

Steering, and the lack of Sport setting
DSC, and the lack of MDM mode
Throttle, and the lack of Sport Plus setting

If you haven't driven a ZTP E92 M3 to compare, maybe at least maybe give us a clue as to how the car feels overall. Does it feel tight? Maybe compare to an E46 (if you've driven one).

Also, how is the non-EDC suspension in the twisties? Any noticeable body roll?
mkoesel,

First, there is a sport mode setting for the throttle. It's documented in the manual. I am uploading an attachment. I haven't driven a ZTP yet. You are using too many acronyms and I'm tired from driving so I am too lazy to search. I found myself in an awkward situation tonight. Accelerating up a very bumpy onramp in 1st, the car bounced to the point where I couldn't maintain a steady hold on the throttle. The throttle was so responsive that it made the bouncing worse and caused me to blip on the throttle even more. It was a losing situation till I got off the bumpy section (reminds me of a friend who fell off a treadmill and tried to stand himself up with his hands on the moving treadmill). I will drive the car with normal mode tomorrow. I do think that the throttle response is a bit too much in sport mode for everyday driving. It makes for jerky starts and shifting.

So I'll answer the questions on feel. I have an NSX which is a beautiful handling car with lots of feedback on the steering. The M3 feels deceivingly floaty. I say this because it's actually not, you head into a corner and it's all business, firm and very little roll. It feels floaty to me maybe because the car is so comfortable and rides so smooth that you almost do not expect it to be firm around corners. The feedback on the steering like others have said it's a bit numb, but that's not a bad thing necessarily. I found it easy to get used to, it's not like you need to feel every piece of gravel you run over. There is some kind of confidence inspired when you plow into a corner and everything just works together perfectly.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2008, 02:22 AM   #27
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by a burrito View Post
Some cities in SoCal have no choice.
wash it yourself?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2008, 02:58 AM   #28
badfish
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by redmtclimber View Post
wash it yourself?
Washing your own car is so ghetto...
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2008, 03:42 AM   #29
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post

"handless" detailers?
I go to a detailer called "myself."
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2008, 07:44 AM   #30
Antinontoxic
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcellere View Post
I go to a detailer called "myself."
Each time my car gets dirty I just simply buy a new one.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2008, 08:15 AM   #31
ronnie dobbs
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 sedan

No lie, be careful with any car wash (hand or not) that puts your wheels in those tracks. They will rash the hell out of a set of rims with low profiles tires. It may not happen the first time, but will eventually, I promise. I learned the hard way about 5 years ago.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2008, 08:29 AM   #32
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Ok, let me first just say thanks for the response. Much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish View Post
mkoesel,

First, there is a sport mode setting for the throttle. It's documented in the manual. I am uploading an attachment.
Right. But I was talking about "Sport Plus" which only ZTP cars have. Since you haven't driven one yet, you obviously can't compare. But if/when you do, its something to give a try.

Quote:
I haven't driven a ZTP yet. You are using too many acronyms and I'm tired from driving so I am too lazy to search.
Ok well, if you stick around, you will pick them up. I encourage you to read up a bit. I mean obviously you have the car and the manual and can try out all the features. But there's also some really great info here that could be of interest to you.

Quote:
I found myself in an awkward situation tonight.

(reminds me of a friend who fell off a treadmill and tried to stand himself up with his hands on the moving treadmill).
Yah, "throttle bounce" is what I call it - not sure if there is a formal term. That can happen in any car if you are too light on the throttle or lift slightly at the wrong time, especially on a bumpy surface as you say. With the sport throttle setting its definately going to be more likely to happen. You'll get it figured out though. I usually drive my E46 in Sport. I know people say that its bad for track use, but I actually like it on the street.

lol @ the analogy btw - hope your buddy was not injured.

Quote:
So I'll answer the questions on feel. I have an NSX which is a beautiful handling car with lots of feedback on the steering. The M3 feels deceivingly floaty. I say this because it's actually not, you head into a corner and it's all business, firm and very little roll. It feels floaty to me maybe because the car is so comfortable and rides so smooth that you almost do not expect it to be firm around corners. The feedback on the steering like others have said it's a bit numb, but that's not a bad thing necessarily. I found it easy to get used to, it's not like you need to feel every piece of gravel you run over. There is some kind of confidence inspired when you plow into a corner and everything just works together perfectly.
Interesting. Thanks for that take. I suspect that comparing to an NSX, quite a few cars might give you similar impressions since that car is reported to be like Porsche or Ferrari-like nimble.

If you ever get to try out an E46 or E92 ZTP, please chime in with a comparo on those too.

And thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2008, 08:32 AM   #33
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
I found myself in an awkward situation tonight. Accelerating up a very bumpy onramp in 1st, the car bounced to the point where I couldn't maintain a steady hold on the throttle. The throttle was so responsive that it made the bouncing worse and caused me to blip on the throttle even more. It was a losing situation till I got off the bumpy section (reminds me of a friend who fell off a treadmill and tried to stand himself up with his hands on the moving treadmill). I will drive the car with normal mode tomorrow. I do think that the throttle response is a bit too much in sport mode for everyday driving. It makes for jerky starts and shifting.
This behaviour was even more prevelant in the E46. Seems the best way to deal with it is give it more gas, not back off as your instincts tell you. I got used to driving The E46 in Sport all the time. I think this one will be the same.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2008, 08:38 AM   #34
drvai
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

Quote:
Washing your own car is so ghetto...
Yeah... as having a car poorly maintained and covered in swirls....
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2008, 10:36 AM   #35
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 330i, '09 M3 Coupe

Nice single hump - first I have seen in the US. Simplicity can still be had in this age of clutter.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2008, 11:51 AM   #36
badfish
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie dobbs View Post
No lie, be careful with any car wash (hand or not) that puts your wheels in those tracks. They will rash the hell out of a set of rims with low profiles tires. It may not happen the first time, but will eventually, I promise. I learned the hard way about 5 years ago.
Yeah, that's the one thing I knew to watch out for. But the wheels are going out anyways so I figured what the heck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvai
Yeah... as having a car poorly maintained and covered in swirls....
I watched them wash the car, it was all hand wash and looked fine to me. I spot detailed the car after it got home last night and paint looks great. It's funny how much heat I'm taking for taking my car through a hand wash and actually I would wash it myself if I had the time. Relax, the car is fine! And if it's broke, it can be replaced, it's just a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel
Yah, "throttle bounce" is what I call it - not sure if there is a formal term. That can happen in any car if you are too light on the throttle or lift slightly at the wrong time, especially on a bumpy surface as you say. With the sport throttle setting its definately going to be more likely to happen. You'll get it figured out though. I usually drive my E46 in Sport. I know people say that its bad for track use, but I actually like it on the street.

lol @ the analogy btw - hope your buddy was not injured.
Thanks for the info mkoesel and GregW on the throttle bounce. I've never experienced it that bad with any other car before. I turned off the sport setting today and the car is more easy to manage in traffic.

Yes, my friend ended up plowing his face into the treadmill several times before another friend hit the emergency stop button for him. He was trying to show off by jumping onto a fast spinning treadmill and paid the price. Wasn't hurt seriously so it's more funny than anything.

A few other things to mention. The ergonomics for shifting I think aren't that great. I find the armrest to be an obstacle at times and unless you always shift with your elbow near your thigh it will take some getting used to. It's made even worse by the long throws on the shifter. I didn't know the shift knob would light up at night so it's going to be a compromise getting a new knob if it doesn't light up.

The interior lighting is great, that amber cast over the fox red interior really sets a nice mood at night. It was totally welcome yet unexpected. I made 2 calls over bluetooth and it went great. The audio jack worked fine with the Zune except the audio output level was a bit low even with the Zune on full volume and the radio cranked all the way up. The leather is so soft that it's easy to leave imprints in it.

Even though I don't have the hump and the large onscreen display, I'm surprised at the ingenuity of the radio being able to handle so many functions.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2008, 11:55 AM   #37
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

nothing wrong with not going for nav imo.... you can always get an aftermarket nav system later... congrats on the car! i think it loosk great

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2008, 02:58 PM   #38
The CSL
For the love of ///M3
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Peugeot 306 XSI 16v

I was so annoyed that NAV was standard in the UK. If they wanted to offer it so badly, at least have a no cost option for those who don't like the humped dashboard. In the UK, portable sat navs are so good to make OEM nav irrelevant.
      03-20-2008, 03:38 PM   #39
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antinontoxic View Post
Each time my car gets dirty I just simply buy a new one.
Baller...
      03-21-2008, 12:28 AM   #40
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3-E46M3-E46Wagon-E89Z4-E36

Garage List
1994 325is Race Car  [0.00]
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Added to the North American Delivery Roll Call

Congrats on the car

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124050
      03-21-2008, 12:48 AM   #41
schnell325
Bored at work....
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 GTS//2022 M235iGC

Car looks great.
Grey Matter:2008 E92 M3:608/425. SG/PS SOLD!
Dark Matter:2015 F80 M3:495/505. SOLD!
Anti Matter :2016 F82 M4 GTS
What next?!? A 2022 M235i GC- I must be getting old
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 07:20 AM   #42
wahoo
Bangin' my head against the wall
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Quote:

Even though I don't have the hump and the large onscreen display, I'm surprised at the ingenuity of the radio being able to handle so many functions.
Awesome. Interested in hearing more thoughts on the non-hump abilities. Can you see song names in the radio display with the Zune?

I'm probably one of the few that actually doesn't mind the navi hump, howeve, I'm not sure that I'd use it that often. Wifey has nav in her GX470 - a useful tool, but it still has its issues.

More reports, more reports...
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 01:36 PM   #43
badfish
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoo View Post
Awesome. Interested in hearing more thoughts on the non-hump abilities. Can you see song names in the radio display with the Zune?
The Zune was connected over audio input only so there is no data that can be sent to the radio.

Maybe I should take a video and post it up on youtube to show some of the functionality.

I drove the car about 120 miles last night. It's really starting to grow on me. The car is crazy fast and I'm not doing a good job of following the break-in procedures because it's so easy to slip past 5500 RPM. Someone should take a poll and see how many of us are actually able to stay below 5500 RPM. My girlfriend got to see it for the first time last night and she fell in love again. People are still pulling up, looking over, and giving thumbs up or taking pictures. I think that's gonna end when they become more common.

I saw my car from the 2nd floor of a shopping mall last night and it made me feel really good about getting the CF roof. Driving home last night on the freeway, there was a moment of revelation. I came to the same realization that Jeremy Clarkson had at the end of the Top Gear review. This car is a masterpiece. The heart and soul of the M3 is inspirational and euphoric.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 07:19 PM   #44
badfish
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
I think you only get the pocket in this picture if you don't have the navigation scoop. This would be where that control knob goes. I like the little pocket.

Appreciate 0