BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

10-24-2011, 01:10 AM   #221
lukester
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Hi guys,
has anybody an comparison value for the trunk lid?
Found a replacement made out of carbon/ platic. Reseller says it weights 17.6lbs.
Looks pretty much for me as the stock one is around 23.40 (parts catalog value) and 26lbs (real life)

TRUNK LID
Stock (Steel): 10.625 kg (23.40 lbs) (OC weighed his at 26.0 lbs)
http://bmwfans.info/original/E92/Cou...1/ill-41_1638/
CF Vorsteiner lid: 14.9 lbs (OC Kid weighed it)
Cost: $1362
Weight savings: 11.1 lbs (according to OC's numbers)
cost/benefit: ~$123/lb
http://www.vorsteiner.com/bmw/e92coupe-spoiler.html#
http://www.redline-motorworks.com/product/9306%20BMV

Thx!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 03:10 AM   #222
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukester View Post
Great thread. But the issue with removing weight from the M3 is that it changes the car.
If you go through it like I did - basically the stuff which makes sense - only removes weight from the rear of the car which changes the handling.

I did:
Full Akrapovic Exhaust (~23kg/50lbs)
rear seat delete & remove all unnecessary parts and insulation from the trunk (~28kg/61lbs)
55Ah Battery (~11kg/ 24lbs)
Recaro Pole Position seats driver and passenger (~29kg/ 64lbs)
OZ Ultraleggera Wheels with Michelin Pilot Cup tires (~7kg/ 15lbs)

All mods make sense for me as I love track days and would have done it even if it doesn't make the car lighter (e.g. the seats, wheels, tires, ...)

My M3 should be +/- 216 lbs (98kg) lighter than stock at the moment.

But....the car switched from a slightly oversteering M3 to an more understeering M3. There's no power steering available any more as it just
pushes over the front wheels.
(you can still drift it but you have to force it)

It's logical. A lot of the stuff has been removed from the rear or the center of the car.
Nothing from the front or under the hood. So the weight balance moved away from were it should be.

Will weight my car within the next weeks and I'm really interested to see the final results.

What can be done against this new handling?
I'm gonna try some 265/35-19 Michelin Pilot Cup on the front, too. At the moment the setup is 235 and 265 which is not perfect if you like an oversteering M3.
The seats and tires will shed weight fairly evenly across the wheels. That leaves about 120 lb removed from the cars rear. That is about 3%. I would be quite surprised if that turned a car from over to understeer. As well, from the factory, the car will understeer, not oversteer, that is more or less a legal obligation for safety and to prevent lawsuits. Also the car should not change its basic handling tendencies with out without rear luggage or a passenger whose weight these changes are comparable to

Quote:
But I'm missing ideas what to do with the front.

A carbon hood will only help with ~4kg/ 8.8lbs. Not really worth it.

What I saw ... but I'm not sure if it's a good idea. Replace the big underfloor plate (it's directly under the engine) with a more lightweight part as this thing is really massive (and we do have good streets in germany so there's no need for such a engine protection).
Adjust your tires pressures, despite being very skeptical about the changes you have observed tire pressures can make a decent sized effect. Despite how good your roads are I would NOT remove that plate. Why risk an 18000 euro engine for a few pounds? It isn't a race car...
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 08:47 AM   #223
gsrbri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 6MT

E90 M3 weighed

I was at the track for a DE event Sunday and weighed my car on the chassis scale.

3,553 lbs w/no driver and 1/4 tank of fuel

2011 E90, manual trans, no sunroof, manual/cloth seats, no folding rear seats (no ZCW), ZCP. The car does have HK and NAV.

I was pretty happy w/the weight of the car, as the car was optioned to save some weight. I was expecting more in the 3,600 lb range.

-Brian
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 12:44 PM   #224
lukester
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Just had contact with Seibon Carbon and as it seems it's not really worth the effort to change the stock hood with a Seibon hood.
The trunk lids is ok for the price as the trunk lid is "just" $880 which is cheap compared to others.

TRUNK LID
Seibon trunk lid (part: TL0708BMWE922D-C): 16lbs

HOOD
Stock (Al): 10.20 kg (22.47 lbs)
Seibon hood (part: HD0708BMWE92M3-OE) 22lbs
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 02:42 PM   #225
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

As mentioned earlier, tire pressures can change things, and this is a street car so it will understeer. That being said have to agree with swamp that the weight you've removed should do little to the bias/handling of the car, but then again, on track at the "limit" it may be more noticeable. I am in pretty much your situation as I've shaved about as much as weight as possible and it's mostly from the rear, think camber plates, tire pressure, or square setup as think these would have a bigger effect on understeer than a few pounds up front, but am still open to suggestions as well:thumbsup
      12-10-2011, 11:17 PM   #226
xchosun1x
Track Duty
United_States
Rep
Drives: Track build 08 E92 M3 DCT

2008 e92 m3
dct, pdc, premium sound, rear sun shade

kw v3
brembo 380/380
akra rear section
gintani catless xpipe
reinforced stock trunk
varis gt wing
luma lip w apr splitter
recaro pole positions x2
autopower roll bar
rear sear delet
full vinyl wrap

3583 lbs full tank of gas topped off, all fluids, no driver
3768 lbs w driver
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 04:51 PM   #227
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I stripped out the back to make it easier (more room) for me to remove the glue residue from the last tint job. I'm leaving it stripped out until the guy puts in new tint on the back window on Friday and then everything is going back in. The road noise is much louder than I expected and while there is no doubt that the car weighs less (the rear suspension is actually sitting higher), I can't justify the cost/benefit of leaving it this way. I'm going to get an oem mini 55 amp/hr battery and save 25lbs that way.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 05:00 AM   #228
Adriansideways
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Camber plates, front and rear toe, tyre pressures will eliminate understeer but Just remember your driving style can cause it as well
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 03:16 AM   #229
Dellort_M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Anyone know the weight of the speed cloth manual front seats?
2011 Alpine White/Fox Red 6MT E92 M3 | Active Stage 2 w/Meth | KW Clubsport | OSS | Challenge Front Lip | Vorsteiner Type 2 Rear Diffuser and Bootlid | Brembo | Recaro | Akrapovic Slip-On | Challenge Race+ X-Pipe | Vossen CV3 | OEM 359M | TE37SL
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 02:56 AM   #230
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

sorry if i missed it, but what is the weight difference between navigation and non-navigation cars?
      06-29-2013, 11:35 PM   #231
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

Wow, awesome thread, but I don't think it will be worth it removing these stuff from our cars, I think our cars are just as agile as it is from the factory
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 03:42 AM   #232
dmw16
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2005 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukester
Just had contact with Seibon Carbon and as it seems it's not really worth the effort to change the stock hood with a Seibon hood.
The trunk lids is ok for the price as the trunk lid is "just" $880 which is cheap compared to others.

TRUNK LID
Seibon trunk lid (part: TL0708BMWE922D-C): 16lbs

HOOD
Stock (Al): 10.20 kg (22.47 lbs)
Seibon hood (part: HD0708BMWE92M3-OE) 22lbs
This is an excellent example of carbon as black aluminum. There are great applications for carbon but in sheets like this aren't good unless they are using honeycomb core the savings will be minimal.

Additionally, carbon pieces like a hood are often sized for handling loads and durability which can further reduce its weight savings opportunity.

Last edited by dmw16; 07-11-2013 at 07:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 12:19 AM   #233
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-K View Post
Wow, awesome thread, but I don't think it will be worth it removing these stuff from our cars, I think our cars are just as agile as it is from the factory
+1 You can get plenty fast lap times at the track without doing any weight reductions. Tires and driver mod!
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 04:07 PM   #234
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

Quote:
Great thread. But the issue with removing weight from the M3 is that it changes the car.
If you go through it like I did - basically the stuff which makes sense - only removes weight from the rear of the car which changes the handling.

I did:
Full Akrapovic Exhaust (~23kg/50lbs)
rear seat delete & remove all unnecessary parts and insulation from the trunk (~28kg/61lbs)
55Ah Battery (~11kg/ 24lbs)
Recaro Pole Position seats driver and passenger (~29kg/ 64lbs)
OZ Ultraleggera Wheels with Michelin Pilot Cup tires (~7kg/ 15lbs)

All mods make sense for me as I love track days and would have done it even if it doesn't make the car lighter (e.g. the seats, wheels, tires, ...)

My M3 should be +/- 216 lbs (98kg) lighter than stock at the moment.

But....the car switched from a slightly oversteering M3 to an more understeering M3. There's no power steering available any more as it just
pushes over the front wheels.
(you can still drift it but you have to force it)

It's logical. A lot of the stuff has been removed from the rear or the center of the car.
Nothing from the front or under the hood. So the weight balance moved away from were it should be.

Will weight my car within the next weeks and I'm really interested to see the final results.

What can be done against this new handling?
I'm gonna try some 265/35-19 Michelin Pilot Cup on the front, too. At the moment the setup is 235 and 265 which is not perfect if you like an oversteering M3.

But I'm missing ideas what to do with the front.

A carbon hood will only help with ~4kg/ 8.8lbs. Not really worth it.

What I saw ... but I'm not sure if it's a good idea. Replace the big underfloor plate (it's directly under the engine) with a more lightweight part as this thing is really massive (and we do have good streets in germany so there's no need for such a engine protection).
I'm trying to understand how moving the weight from the rear increases understeer? If there is less weight pushing the rear into the tarmac, wouldn't the rear slide more, especially under power as there is effectively less grip? On the other hand, cars that have a lot of weight over the front axle tend to understeer more than cars with a more equal front-to-back weight distribution.

Also, are you running OEM GTS aero?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 02:48 PM   #235
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Man View Post
I'm trying to understand how moving the weight from the rear increases understeer? If there is less weight pushing the rear into the tarmac, wouldn't the rear slide more, especially under power as there is effectively less grip? On the other hand, cars that have a lot of weight over the front axle tend to understeer more than cars with a more equal front-to-back weight distribution.

Also, are you running OEM GTS aero?
Here is why.
It comes down to laws of physics.
The heavy end of an object will always move outwards under centrifugal force.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 03:31 PM   #236
oldmanstyle
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpilot View Post
Here is why.
There is more at play than this. There are also different spring rates, suspension geometry, available grip at each tire etc. And then there is an acceleration vector since one should be on the throttle throughout the turn in most cases if doing it right. It's nowhere near as simple as a rigid object experiencing uniform centrifugal force distribution.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 08:09 AM   #237
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanstyle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpilot View Post
Here is why.
There is more at play than this. There are also different spring rates, suspension geometry, available grip at each tire etc. And then there is an acceleration vector since one should be on the throttle throughout the turn in most cases if doing it right. It's nowhere near as simple as a rigid object experiencing uniform centrifugal force distribution.
Take it easy...someone asked a question wanting a simple answer and it was provided. Do we want to do a fbd and use a cross product to deduce all forces present and go with the largest to find the culprit for the under steer
      11-25-2013, 11:01 AM   #238
oldmanstyle
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by klammer View Post
Take it easy...someone asked a question wanting a simple answer and it was provided. Do we want to do a fbd and use a cross product to deduce all forces present and go with the largest to find the culprit for the under steer
What? Why do I need to take it easy? An oversimplified answer that comes to an incorrect conclusion is preferable how?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 11:12 AM   #239
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanstyle
Quote:
What? Why do I need to take it easy? An oversimplified answer that comes to an incorrect conclusion is preferable how?
How is it incorrect? Isn't a=v^2/r Which means things get heavier as we move from the center. His statement was totally correct, perhaps it's application may have been off and if course there's more factors...there always is
      11-25-2013, 02:59 PM   #240
oldmanstyle
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
How is it incorrect? Isn't a=v^2/r Which means things get heavier as we move from the center. His statement was totally correct, perhaps it's application may have been off and if course there's more factors...there always is
*its (I love it when someone trying to be condescending doesn't know basic grammar, and btw that's not the only grammatical miscue in your post )

And I didn't say it was incorrect. I said it draws an incorrect conclusion because it is too oversimplified for this application. No one is denying centrifugal force = mv^2/r Do you just like to bicker or what's the deal here? Nothing I've posted is absurd in the slightest.

Last edited by oldmanstyle; 11-25-2013 at 03:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 10:23 AM   #241
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep

I just don't like people coming on here being sanctimonious pricks instead of providing actual content. And yeah, grammar and syntax is real important these days. I'm sure you're the type of guy that would shit on Einstein because he ended the sentence with a preposition and why add mass? It's a constant
      12-05-2013, 02:09 PM   #242
oldmanstyle
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I just don't like people coming on here being sanctimonious pricks instead of providing actual content. And yeah, grammar and syntax is real important these days. I'm sure you're the type of guy that would shit on Einstein because he ended the sentence with a preposition and why add mass? It's a constant
Talk about condescending and lack of content, what exactly have you done here besides get all emo on me? I added mass because it is correct to include that when talking about force. Maybe you should pay more attention so you don't get tripped up when someone is being consistent with their terminology.

And again I ask, why are you being obtuse for no good reason? I advise you to get over it as nothing I've posted here was out of line until you came in crying because you're apparently ok with incomplete explanations and misinformation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanstyle View Post

That seems less out of line and condescending than your posts ITT, which are basically just whining at me for correctly elaborating on a misleading statement. So take a good look in the mirror before you continue this senseless derail that YOU started.
Appreciate 0