BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

01-21-2009, 01:24 PM   #45
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by techimo View Post
My dilemma, though, is that I can get a new 2008 M3 for only $3,000 more than a 2009 335i over a 3 year lease, so that put me into a decision paralysis that it would be dumb not to get the M3 for that value, but I have to get what fits me best.
Yes, that is a dilemma.
One that even myself have considered.
With the 0.9% financing and the deals they will make on the leftover 2008 M3's you can get one for not much more than the cost of a 2009 335i.

But the issue would be, if you get the 2008 m3 sedan, you don't get the makeover version of 2009. And if you get a leftover 2008 M3 Coupe in 10 months the 2010 version will come out with the makeover.

So if I personally was to get an M3, it would be the 2009 M3 Sedan with DCT.
However, they aren't offering quite as good of deals on the 2009 M3 sedan since it just recently came out with the makeover.

But again, I know I'd miss the low end thrust of the chipped 335i, and getting 13-14 mpg wouldn't exactly please me either, nor getting beat by a chipped only 335i on the highway.
But we do have LOTS of curvy canyon roads in So Cal, that I drive often and would love to have the improved handling of the M3.

Tough call.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2009, 01:46 PM   #46
MWorldorder
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

I disagree w every argument you've made about the M3.

COMPLETE FAIL!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2009, 02:02 PM   #47
MJC///M3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post
And if you get a leftover 2008 M3 Coupe in 10 months the 2010 version will come out with the makeover.
What makeovers are in store for the coupe in 2010?
"You will get there, but it is up to you and you alone. It is what you are willing to do, and how you are willing to get there. You must be relentless, you must be tireless, you must pursue at all costs, so that you are ready, when the time is right." -Dad
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2009, 02:27 PM   #48
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC///M3 View Post
What makeovers are in store for the coupe in 2010?
It'll be in the same line as what the 2009 sedan got.
Meaning, probably a slightly revised hood and front end, different taillights and the same mild refreshening of the interior the 2009 sedan got.

Standard BMW fair. They release a car and 3 years later remodel it, then 3 years after that a new car.
The e90 came out as a 2006, so for 2009 it got the makeover
The e92 came out as a 2007, so for 2010 it will get the makeover (but the 2010 e92's will most likely be released in Sept. or Oct. of this year.)
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2009, 02:38 PM   #49
MJC///M3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post
It'll be in the same line as what the 2009 sedan got.
Meaning, probably a slightly revised hood and front end, different taillights and the same mild refreshening of the interior the 2009 sedan got.

Standard BMW fair. They release a car and 3 years later remodel it, then 3 years after that a new car.
The e90 came out as a 2006, so for 2009 it got the makeover
The e92 came out as a 2007, so for 2010 it will get the makeover (but the 2010 e92's will most likely be released in Sept. or Oct. of this year.)
gotcha! thanks for the info.
"You will get there, but it is up to you and you alone. It is what you are willing to do, and how you are willing to get there. You must be relentless, you must be tireless, you must pursue at all costs, so that you are ready, when the time is right." -Dad
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2009, 07:13 PM   #50
needspeed
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 10 X5 M/05 F430/12 CTS-V Coupe

OP you seem to be a very silly person so I go with Also I am being a ho and getting my post count up.

But dude you really have no clue, if you really bought this car and have these issues you deserve what you got sell now at a loss and get a Vett.

Very Happy M3 owner/driver who cannot get enough of this great automobile.....Steve
05 F430 F1 - Giallo
08 BMW M3 Interlagos Blue Metallic - DCT (Traded)
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2009, 07:15 PM   #51
techimo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by needspeed View Post
OP you seem to be a very silly person so I go with Also I am being a ho and getting my post count up.

But dude you really have no clue, if you really bought this car and have these issues you deserve what you got sell now at a loss and get a Vett.

Very Happy M3 owner/driver who cannot get enough of this great automobile.....Steve
You might try actually reading the thread.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2009, 07:25 PM   #52
needspeed
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You might try actually reading the thread.

You also are very silly since the thread is about the issues raised by the OP, who seems to not like his car even though no one made him buy it. I expect this individual did not spend the time on research to understand what the M3 is all about. The rest of the thread is everyone's on or off topic banter/input. So please give me a break, I read the whole thread as well as the whining of the OP. For me his "drawbacks" are important features of the M3......Have fun.....Steve
05 F430 F1 - Giallo
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2009, 07:42 PM   #53
techimo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by needspeed View Post
You also are very silly since the thread is about the issues raised by the OP, who seems to not like his car even though no one made him buy it. I expect this individual did not spend the time on research to understand what the M3 is all about. The rest of the thread is everyone's on or off topic banter/input. So please give me a break, I read the whole thread as well as the whining of the OP. For me his "drawbacks" are important features of the M3......Have fun.....Steve
A) I'm the OP. B) I didn't buy anything, I don't own an M3, I'm here researching after a 10 min test drive in an e90 M3, not to get crapped on by the likes of you. C) I'm spending $400 to rent an M3 for 24 hours (as others here have done) because I want to get a feel for the car BEFORE I buy.

"If you can't say anything nice..." Lots of folks on this forum could stand to live by that. Life's too short to live it posting angry insults all day because you can't stand anyone questioning the perfection of the almighty M3.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2009, 07:52 PM   #54
needspeed
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
A) I'm the OP. B) I didn't buy anything, I don't own an M3, I'm here researching after a 10 min test drive in an e90 M3, not to get crapped on by the likes of you. C) I'm spending $400 to rent an M3 for 24 hours (as others here have done) because I want to get a feel for the car BEFORE I buy.

"If you can't say anything nice..." Lots of folks on this forum could stand to live by that. Life's too short to live it posting angry insults all day because you can't stand anyone questioning the perfection of the almighty M3.
Sorry I did not mean to come off like the ass that I am ( I am a dues paying member of the ass association), so I deeply appologize. The M3 is in no way the perfect car to me (but I love it so anyway). But it seems like you answered your own question potentially and since you asked, you will get a variety of answers.

Only you will know what car can make you happy and if the drawbacks you point out are issues for you. Then I would add that to my list of what matters when buying your next car.

As many have responded, the things you called out, are desireable features of this car to me and others and not drawbacks. I hope you find the car you can fall in love with and wish you the best of driving pleasure and excitement.

I can tell that you are not just looking for transportation, so I am sure you will be enthusiastic about the car that is right for you and at this price point you deserve to be very happy...Steve
05 F430 F1 - Giallo
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2009, 12:23 PM   #55
needspeed
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbp335 View Post

Here come the M3 fan boy bashing on the OP.
"my m3 is way better that a 335, it feel better handle better and the driving experience are great"
Well it is. I asked my Mom and she told me so. My Mommy would not lie to me would she Also I thought if you are on this board you are required to be a fanboy did I miss something?????
05 F430 F1 - Giallo
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2009, 01:17 PM   #56
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Quote:
I posted this as a reply to another thread but thought it would be interesting for M3 owners to weigh in. I asked a couple questions about 335i vs M3 if M3 = $3k more and the answer was always M3 all the way, instead of "you have to get the car that's right for you"..which assumes that the M3 is always superior for everyone. But, I have gripes with the M3 even though I know it's the better car all around, which could push me towards a 335i regardless:

-M hood bump annoys me while driving. My preferred position is closer to the wheel to reach the clutch and highish, so the bump is accentuated since the hood is well in my view.

-Fat M steering wheel annoys me, I don't have gorilla hands

-The V8 engine noise while cool at first, and cool at 8,000 RPM when you're hauling ass at full throttle, isn't necessarily what I want to hear every minute of every drive. Personally, I'd rather have silent and explosive power i.e. a tesla roadster.

-I like acceleration and effortless speed. I can cruise along in my e46 330i at 100 and it's nothing. The 335i feels similar. The M3 at 100 to me, doesn't feel as luxury or effortless at 100.. It feels like a raw race car at that speed, not a luxury-sports car.

-The more available torque in the 335i @ 1300rpm means that I can get a 6MT and fudge the shifting when I feel lazy while driving around at less stressful lower RPM levels if I feel like it and still have power without having to be in just the right gear at the right speed always.

-I have no desire to track the car-- anyone that buys an M3 and hits the track with no pro-training or driving experience is asking for a spectacular and very embarassing wreck. Just search youtube for m3 crash. The M3 is spectacular but can easily exceed a newbie track driver's limits.

-M3=200miles on a tank & 15mpg. I detest Escalades/hummers/heavy oil users and polluters so this is a big deal to me.

-I don't want people screwing with me on the freeway, constantly trying to race me, saying shit to me in parking lots, keying my car, or anything else. I'm 30 but I look 20, so I have to deal with the young looking M3 owner issues from other peoples envy/jealousy/anger, I don't want speeding tickets from bully-cops (not one ticket in 9 years of driving a 323Ci then 330i at a constant 90mph all over the bay area freeways and no radar detector) and I want to maintain a low profile.

So.. While I'm quite sure that the M3 is the superior car, it isn't necessarily right for everyone and thus this isn't just about economics. BUT... I know very well that all of my above bitching might fly out the door after spending 24 hours driving the M3 around .
I typed out a long elaborate reply. But I just deleted it because the answer is easy. If this car doesn't immediately appeal to you, and doesn't make you excited every time you go to drive it. It's not for you. Casual daily driver is casual, the M3 doesn't fit what you need in a car.
      01-22-2009, 02:11 PM   #57
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Talk about a blatant yet indirect diss.^
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2009, 02:40 PM   #58
dogears
My master volume goes to 11
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Competition

335i has no LSD. That was the concrete deal breaker for me. After mods, and aftermarket Quaife LSD, the 335i would be close in price to an M3 and have questionable warranty. Therefore, I just bought an 09 M3.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2009, 02:43 PM   #59
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
Talk about a blatant yet indirect diss.^
^ and your point is?

To each his own, if OP doesn't like the feel of the M, then it doesn't make sense to spend the extra dough on it. Get the '09 335i instead and use that money to put in a tune and some suspension parts.

There are several of us who have been down that road and were just not satisfied with the result, so we made the jump.
      01-22-2009, 07:39 PM   #60
lincoln
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Melbourne Red Coupe - DCT

Why are all M3 drivers so damn insecure. He wasn't bashing the car and even if he was, why get so bent out of shape? You need a complete stranger to agree that your car buying decision was a good one for you to feel better about yourself? As long as you like the car - what's the big deal.

To the OP, I thought your write up was well written man. The car isn't for everyone... if it was - then BMW wouldn't make other lines/models. I'd go as far to say that there would be NO other manufacturers out there because BMW is the answer for all. Get real.
      01-22-2009, 11:27 PM   #61
Stunnerable
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nissan Rogue, 09 Jet Black M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln View Post
Why are all M3 drivers so damn insecure. He wasn't bashing the car and even if he was, why get so bent out of shape? You need a complete stranger to agree that your car buying decision was a good one for you to feel better about yourself? As long as you like the car - what's the big deal.

To the OP, I thought your write up was well written man. The car isn't for everyone... if it was - then BMW wouldn't make other lines/models. I'd go as far to say that there would be NO other manufacturers out there because BMW is the answer for all. Get real.
Lots of youngins on here I suspect.

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2009, 02:00 AM   #62
Z4M///ike
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4 M Roadster/08 E90 M3

Get a Sonata. Power, performance, efficiency. America's best warranty, 10yrs/100,000miles.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2009, 03:14 AM   #63
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
^ and your point is?

To each his own, if OP doesn't like the feel of the M, then it doesn't make sense to spend the extra dough on it. Get the '09 335i instead and use that money to put in a tune and some suspension parts.

There are several of us who have been down that road and were just not satisfied with the result, so we made the jump.
he was indirectly equating a 335i to something that could hardly be considered a sports car (with the wording he was using). that's my point.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2009, 03:45 AM   #64
lincoln
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Melbourne Red Coupe - DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4M///ike View Post
Get a Sonata. Power, performance, efficiency. America's best warranty, 10yrs/100,000miles.
Don't knock it... Hyundai is how Lexus started way back when... offering more car for less money. Hyundai has come a long way since 1985. I want a Genesis as my next family car.
      01-23-2009, 04:03 AM   #65
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
"-I like acceleration and effortless speed. I can cruise along in my e46 330i at 100 and it's nothing. The 335i feels similar. The M3 at 100 to me, doesn't feel as luxury or effortless at 100.. It feels like a raw race car at that speed, not a luxury-sports car."

This is completely untrue. This car feels more stable and planted than a 335 at higher speeds. There is no question about that. Honestly the M3 in stock form, especially with EDC is noticeably more comfortable than a stock 335i.

Also, the M3 is a great DD and better in many ways compared to the 335 due to the more comfortable leather seats and more comfortable suspension. The only thing that is a toss up for being a better DD is the engine. The 4.0 v8 is a great engine all around and the torque below 3k is still very manageable, but if you want true effortless driving under 2.5-3k and still be with a BMW then a 335 does a much better job at that. I shift the M3 at around 4k which is where it makes it's peak torque, and by doing that it feels stronger and just as good if not better than a 335i.

Gas milage does suck, but even with somewhat aggressive driving I get 250-270 a tank. I get 300-310 a tank if driving conservatively. I drive a 6speed.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2009, 08:06 AM   #66
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln View Post
Don't knock it... Hyundai is how Lexus started way back when... offering more car for less money. Hyundai has come a long way since 1985. I want a Genesis as my next family car.
Besides my M3 coupe, I own a Hyundai Azera Limited and a Santa Fe Limited. The drive trains and interior trim equals or exceeds the BMW in almost every case. Reliability has been 100%, with only oil changes required.

When I had the initial oil change on the M3 they loaned me an X3, which did not stand up particularly well to the Santa Fe costing $10,000+ less. If Hyundai could figure out how to get the handling closer to BMW-levels, then they'd have a world beater. Alas, performance comes at a cost and the M3 (which I consider a bargain) costs three times as much as either Hyundai.

Dave
Appreciate 0