BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

07-19-2012, 05:34 PM   #1
DesertEagle50
Admiral General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5 FB

Garage List
2013 BMW M5 F10  [10.00]
2010 BMW M3 E92  [10.00]
Covercraft Form-fit car cover

Anyone tried a Covercraft form fit car cover? Thinking about getting one, but wary about scratching clear coat taking it on and off every day.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 06:10 PM   #2
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3DriverE92 View Post
Anyone tried a Covercraft form fit car cover? Thinking about getting one, but wary about scratching clear coat taking it on and off every day.
you answered your own question
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 04:25 AM   #3
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

I use one every day to protect paint (FL sun and etc)Like 99% of tools there is a correct methodology to using them

Placing the Cover on a Vehicle

Do not place a car cover on a dusty or dirty car (dry surface with a waffle weave towel or remove dust with a car duster) Ensure that the cover fits well and keep the cover clean (dust / dirt between the inside of the cover or the vehicle surface will cause scratching) Purchase a good quality cover that is manufactured from a durable fabric suitable for your local climatic conditions and expected usage.

To place car cover on vehicle; start by placing the rolled-up cover on the centre of the roof (do not drag cover across vehicle surface as it may cause scratching) unroll from the middle to the rear of vehicle and then middle to front, unroll left side and then right using mirror `pockets' (if fitted) Ensure that cover is `tight' and attach cable and lock (if required) Remove from vehicle opposite to the above and store dry cover in storage bag (if supplied)

Ensure that cover is `tight' and attach cable and lock (if required) Remove from vehicle opposite to the above and store dry cover in storage bag (if supplied)

In strong wind conditions when removing the car cover use the side mirrors as 'anchors’. Remove the front and back portions and then roll towards the top. Then, remove the mirror pocket from one side mirror, then the other. Use a similar method when covering the car, by first attaching the mirror pockets to the side mirrors.

Removing Cover

Pull the front edge up to about halfway along the length of the car, and then do the same with the back edge so that it meets the front edge, you've just got outside to outside contact. You can then fold the cover in half and only have inside to inside contact, and continue folding this way until it's manageable and can be stuffed into a carry bag. Of course, you then need to be very careful when placing it back on the car so that you perform the above operation in reverse order.[/

Extract form an article “Vehicle Weather Protection Covers” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-cov...n-covers.html#
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 11:14 AM   #4
DesertEagle50
Admiral General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5 FB

Garage List
2013 BMW M5 F10  [10.00]
2010 BMW M3 E92  [10.00]
The more expensive car covers claim to have soft edges and won't scratch if you use them properly. Hopefully their claims are true.

TOGWT what brand do you use?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 04:09 AM   #5
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

Websites

How to Select the Right Cover - http://calcarcover.com/how_to_select.aspx#ultraweave

a) http:// www.carcoverworld.com/

Europe-http//:www.covercraft-europe.com

b) http://www.covercraft.com/
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 03:09 AM   #6
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3DriverE92 View Post
The more expensive car covers claim to have soft edges and won't scratch if you use them properly. Hopefully their claims are true.

TOGWT what brand do you use?
It doesn't matter if the cover is made from the softest material on Earth: even the tiniest dirt particle can be dragged over the clear coat by the cover. A car isn't a small object that you can always be 100% sure there isn't 1 incredibly small piece of dirt or dust that will cause even slight damage.

Give your car a good detail, wax it properly, and let it deal with the elements in LA, which aren't that bad to begin with. You wouldn't catch me dead with a car cover.
Appreciate 0