BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

02-22-2010, 09:07 PM   #1
JTM3
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 Sedan

BMW M-Mobility - Need to jack car up?

I'm new to the E90 M3 and was reading the manual on instructions for using the M-Mobility system and nowhere does it say that you have to jack up your car.
Can someone who has had a flat and used this please help clarify the correct way of doing this?
Manual says to empty the contents of the sealant in the flat tire and then drive for a few km/miles and then inflate tire???? How is this possible to drive on a flat tire and then inflate? Shouldn't you have to inflate your flat tire before driving. This doesn't make sense to me.
I did a search and not much came up on this topic. Please share your thoughts on this.

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 03:06 AM   #2
BigHat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 E93

When you add the goop you also add enough air pressure. Roll it briefly at slow speeds to coat the interior and cure the goop. Stop and inflate.

Why would you need a jack to do this?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 03:58 AM   #3
JIO
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 Space Gray E92 M3 w/DCT

The car only comes with the goop and an air pump. No jack is included.

I'd still prefer a jack and a space-saver tire....call me old fashioned.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 07:37 AM   #4
JTM3
Private
Rep

Ok, I see now, but lets say your tire is completely flat will the air compressor add enough air to to the tire with the goop to drive safely for the rec distance (in ops manual) so that you do not damage the sidewall on your tire? Driving even very short distance with a tire with very low pressure will chew up the sidewalls and make the tire unrepairable.

Thanks for the tips/help
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 08:32 AM   #5
Reznick
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 ,01 330,M240?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIO View Post
The car only comes with the goop and an air pump. No jack is included.

I'd still prefer a jack and a space-saver tire....call me old fashioned.
+1
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 10:33 AM   #6
wrh3
Car Guy
Rep
Drives: 2005 MCS, 2013 Corvette 427

I actually don't plan to use the goop, and bought a plug kit instead so a jack might be beneficial for someone like me.......but not needed with goop use.

Bill- 2005 Mini Cooper S, 2013 Corvette 427
www.billswebspace.com/bmwindex BMW CCA Member # 389948
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 01:23 PM   #7
darkmercury
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe

Will the goop destroy the tire sensor?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 03:31 PM   #8
isugoo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmercury View Post
Will the goop destroy the tire sensor?
yes- goop have good chance to destroy sensors.
My case, I used just air to go somewhere close to fix tires (or put air often) instead of. Never really used goop. But this case, it's more like slow leak.

PAST: F80 M3 ZCP | 911.1 C2S | F10 M5 ZCP | E70 X5M | E90 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 05:47 PM   #9
AlpWtE92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 AW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTM3 View Post
Ok, I see now, but lets say your tire is completely flat will the air compressor add enough air to to the tire with the goop to drive safely for the rec distance (in ops manual) so that you do not damage the sidewall on your tire? Driving even very short distance with a tire with very low pressure will chew up the sidewalls and make the tire unrepairable.

Thanks for the tips/help
I've unfortunately had to use the mobility kit, but can report that it worked exactly as advertised. I got a flat tire about 40 miles from home - tire was completely flat by the time I was able to reach a safe place to use the mobility kit. Plugged it in following the instructions, and inflated the tires to the recommended intermediate presssure. Drove for about 1 mile to let the "goop" distribute/cure, then inflated the tire up to the full recommended pressure using the mobility compressor. Got home fine and the tire was still inflated after a few days of being parked in my garage. It was actually relatively easy to use.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 07:28 PM   #10
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrh3 View Post
I actually don't plan to use the goop, and bought a plug kit instead so a jack might be beneficial for someone like me.
Same here. Bought a flat tire repair kit, and also the BMW jack kit. MUCH easier to just jack up the car and work with the wheel off the car, rather than finding the puncture on your freaking back . Plus you can take the wheel/tire to get fixed if close to a city, rather than flat-bedding the car, which often leads to a damaged bumper, etc. I like options . The best 'fixing' option is adding a spare, but it'd significantly diminish luggage space (no trunk left), so not really an option for me . If I want the safety of a spare, my trusty Accord coupe never disappoints.

Last edited by JCtx; 02-23-2010 at 07:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 07:45 PM   #11
Poppin Fresh
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: With a sunroof and front plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpWtE92 View Post
I've unfortunately had to use the mobility kit, but can report that it worked exactly as advertised. I got a flat tire about 40 miles from home - tire was completely flat by the time I was able to reach a safe place to use the mobility kit. Plugged it in following the instructions, and inflated the tires to the recommended intermediate presssure. Drove for about 1 mile to let the "goop" distribute/cure, then inflated the tire up to the full recommended pressure using the mobility compressor. Got home fine and the tire was still inflated after a few days of being parked in my garage. It was actually relatively easy to use.
Was the TPMS damaged after?
      02-24-2010, 11:14 AM   #12
JTM3
Private
Rep

Thanks for all the replies! So just so I'm correct, when you have a flat and the compressor is pumping the goop in the tire does it also inflate it with enough air for you to drive for a short distance (as stated in the ops manual). My thinking is that it inflates your tires enough so you can drive for a short distance to distribute the goop and then you stop and inflate it to normal pressure.
Would it be less stress on the tire if you had a small jack to lift up the car while the compressor is pumping air/goop into the flat tire???
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 11:45 AM   #13
waremark
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 Coupe DCT

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies! So just so I'm correct, when you have a flat and the compressor is pumping the goop in the tire does it also inflate it with enough air for you to drive for a short distance (as stated in the ops manual). My thinking is that it inflates your tires enough so you can drive for a short distance to distribute the goop and then you stop and inflate it to normal pressure.
Would it be less stress on the tire if you had a small jack to lift up the car while the compressor is pumping air/goop into the flat tire???
I have used the system twice, and it worked as advertised and as you describe (once was on the E92, once on my previous E46). In both cases the tyre went from completely flat, with a rapid deflation, to looking and feeling quite normal for a couple of days until I got to the tyre shop. The book says you should not go over 50 mph, but I get the impression that is rather over-careful.

There is no reason whatsoever to use a jack - it would make no difference at all.

An important point is that once the gloop has been used you cannot repair the tyre - or at least my local tyre shop tells me that.

My car does not have tyre pressure sensors; in the UK all we can get is the crude system which warns you that you have a flat by comparing the rotation speed of the different wheels. Do you guys have a proper system which displays individual tyre pressures? I have another car with that system, but have not had a flat on it; if the sensor is destroyed, that would be before you got to use the Mobility Pack. It would make no difference to the survival chances of the sensor whether you had the Mobility Pack or a normal spare.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 03:32 PM   #14
ChinoOrtega
Captain
Guatemala
Rep
Drives: 991 C2S

I heard the goop, and other brands of goop/inflating system, causes damage to the rim, since it's really hard glue, has to be remove from the rim, leaving residue or removing the finish, just a rumor, never seen it
      02-24-2010, 04:09 PM   #15
DC5ITR88
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Ive never used the mobility kit but have heard that if you get a flat and if you used any type of temporary repair such as the goop with the mobility kit or any 3rd party goop with inflator from a autozone or any auto part store...that would damage the tire that you wont be able to repair...

Whenever someone gets a flat...not 100 percent of the time does a consumer need to replace their tire... If it was this case the tires companies would be making a shit load of more money than they do now. Most of the time I would say whenever you get a flat, as long as its not on the face of the tire it is repairable and by using the goop to inflate your tires risk damaging and repairing the tire hence you would then need to really get a brand new tire.

So I here at least.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 04:24 PM   #16
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrh3 View Post
I actually don't plan to use the goop, and bought a plug kit instead so a jack might be beneficial for someone like me.......but not needed with goop use.
Same here. I carry a plug kit, and a used E46 jack I picked up in eBay for $20 or so, along with a small breaker bar and the appropriate socket.
      02-24-2010, 06:27 PM   #17
shchow
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 CTS-V sedan, black raven

Here in the US, If a tire is plugged/repaired, it loses its speed rating and should not be driven over the speed limit of whatever road you're on (Google tire and repair).
I've verified this with several tire repair shops and my BMW SA.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=77

If anything, you don't want the tire to be salvageable. The mobility kit essentially prevents the tire from being fixed.
I've had to use it twice. And the dealership replaces the bottle of goop each time for free.

Last edited by shchow; 02-24-2010 at 06:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 01:02 PM   #18
AlpWtE92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 AW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppin Fresh View Post
Was the TPMS damaged after?
Good question - I never checked with the shop to see if they had to change the TPMS.
On another note, I ran the same wheel with new tires with no problems, so I doubt the goop damages the wheel in any way. If anything, it might leave residue on the wheel, but that shouldn't have any effect on the structure of the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 07:06 PM   #19
waremark
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 Coupe DCT

I watched the fitter change the tyre. The goop wiped off the wheel, leaving the wheel completely unaffected.

My wife's Merc has had three punctures in three months (all on tyres that had done less than 5,000 miles). In each case I had to buy a new tyre: 'The puncture is too near the edge to repair', or something like that. So I am not sure that you miss out on too many repairs by using the goop.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 04:32 PM   #20
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
I'm new to the E90 M3 and was reading the manual on instructions for using the M-Mobility system and nowhere does it say that you have to jack up your car.
Can someone who has had a flat and used this please help clarify the correct way of doing this?
Manual says to empty the contents of the sealant in the flat tire and then drive for a few km/miles and then inflate tire???? How is this possible to drive on a flat tire and then inflate? Shouldn't you have to inflate your flat tire before driving. This doesn't make sense to me.
I did a search and not much came up on this topic. Please share your thoughts on this.

Thanks,
I don't know if you solved your problem or not. I drove a M3 for 4 years and never had a flat. I did have the compressor from BMW never used it except to add some air to my tires.

A good link here might be useful to you

http://www.aa1car.com/library/tire_monitors.htm

Including the link posted earlier above.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 06-29-2010 at 05:29 PM.. Reason: changed the ref link
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 05:03 PM   #21
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

good reason for not going to local tire shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by shchow View Post
Here in the US, If a tire is plugged/repaired, it loses its speed rating and should not be driven over the speed limit of whatever road you're on (Google tire and repair).
I've verified this with several tire repair shops and my BMW SA.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=77

If anything, you don't want the tire to be salvageable. The mobility kit essentially prevents the tire from being fixed.
I've had to use it twice. And the dealership replaces the bottle of goop each time for free.
Great info I got my 1st real flat (had a slow leak on prior rear, this new rear just 2k miles - damn) and I've been thinking I don't want a basic repair as I do <ahem > like to see 150 mph+.

I have the dealer insurance so thinking of using the kit and getting the car to the dealer; get new tire and good-to-go.

-- V

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0