BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-06-2007, 04:38 PM   #1
SpencerM3
Sauce
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SSII E90 M3

Thumbs down Haters

Why is it that when ever anyone talks $hit and hates on nice European cars they automatically compare them to “ricers” or other Japanese cars ? When I got my S4 that’s all people said “the lights look like a Honda Civic”. Sounds like the guys are sayi9ng the same thing about the new M3, “too ricer looking.” Funny cause the same guys are salivating over the new Skyline GT-R .

Lastly this is a site dedicated to the E92 M3, do we really need these nerds coming in here and saying the car looks like $hit and that there E46 M3 is the greatest end all M3 of all time?
2009 E90 M3 | Silverstone II | Black Novillo | HRE P40's | Akrapovic Exhaust | Eibach Pro Kit | Jet Black Kidney Grilles | SSII Side Reflectors | SSII Side Gills | LUX H8 Angel Eyes | Macht Schnell Filter | Tecnocraft Envy Charge Pipe

"M3 drivers have no friends." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2007, 04:42 PM   #2
Hans Delbruck
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63, 135i, Evo FE, GLE63

The people smack talking aren't getting the car..... most likely because Daddy won't buy it for them.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2007, 05:43 PM   #3
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Unfair

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerM3 View Post
Why is it that when ever anyone talks $hit and hates on nice European cars they automatically compare them to “ricers” or other Japanese cars ? When I got my S4 that’s all people said “the lights look like a Honda Civic”. Sounds like the guys are sayi9ng the same thing about the new M3, “too ricer looking.” Funny cause the same guys are salivating over the new Skyline GT-R .

Lastly this is a site dedicated to the E92 M3, do we really need these nerds coming in here and saying the car looks like $hit and that there E46 M3 is the greatest end all M3 of all time?
I am not a Skyline lover and am a big BMW fan (owned E36 and E46 Ms). Still I think it is totally fair and accurate to call a bit of "rice" on some elements of the new design. I know it will probably grow on me (and grow fast). But if there are as many people saying this as their are it must have some truth. Looks are subjective, but if 20% of folks say it is a bit "ricey" then it must at least have some definitively ricey elements present. Part of it also is (like I stated in a separate thread) that many of the indivudual design elements just don't seem to fully work together as they did with the E46 design.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2007, 05:56 PM   #4
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

Quote:
I am not a Skyline lover and am a big BMW fan (owned E36 and E46 Ms). Still I think it is totally fair and accurate to call a bit of "rice" on some elements of the new design. I know it will probably grow on me (and grow fast). But if there are as many people saying this as their are it must have some truth. Looks are subjective, but if 20% of folks say it is a bit "ricey" then it must at least have some definitively ricey elements present. Part of it also is (like I stated in a separate thread) that many of the indivudual design elements just don't seem to fully work together as they did with the E46 design.
I hate the words "Rice" and "Ricer" more than anything on these forums. They used to mean something but now they mean nothing. If a car these days has some humps and vents its called rice on the forums? Thats BS... If you asked two seperate people what "Rice" meant you would get two seperate answers.

I was hovering on boards when the import scene took off and I remember what "Rice" used to mean. Nothing from the factory was ever called rice since that went against the whole original meaning of the word. Rice, originally, was used as a descripter for asian cars. So a car wasnt rice just because it looked like an asain car. In the beginning it was attributed to something like a GTR badge on an Acura. Or a spyder badge on a Mitsu GTX coupe. You know, stuff that made no sense and was stupid. And this gorgeous car from BMW comes nowhere close to being F###ING rice!!!!!!!

Jason
      03-06-2007, 06:04 PM   #5
jtown
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post
I hate the words "Rice" and "Ricer" more than anything on these forums. They used to mean something but now they mean nothing. If a car these days has some humps and vents its called rice on the forums? Thats BS... If you asked two seperate people what "Rice" meant you would get two seperate answers.

I was hovering on boards when the import scene took off and I remember what "Rice" used to mean. Nothing from the factory was ever called rice since that went against the whole original meaning of the word. Rice, originally, was used as a descripter for asian cars. So a car wasnt rice just because it looked like an asain car. In the beginning it was attributed to something like a GTR badge on an Acura. Or a spyder badge on a Mitsu GTX coupe. You know, stuff that made no sense and was stupid. And this gorgeous car from BMW comes nowhere close to being F###ING rice!!!!!!!

Jason
Amen. I hate the term.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2007, 06:51 PM   #6
dhmilosr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan Montego Blue

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Ricer - Definition: Cars of the type Honda Accord, Toyota Corolla, Mitso Evo, etc., that have had their tail lights replaced, with a coffee can muffler, and all of 90 horse power. Advanced ricers would have turbos, or super chargers and were seen in any of the "Fast and Furious" movies. Usually they're driven by kids who think what they're driving is cool and/or fast.

Atleast this is the common definition I've picked up from these boards...
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2007, 06:59 PM   #7
mloyelo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2005 Porsche Carrera

I am a big fan of BMW, and have been religiously following development (along with swamp, jussi, etc.) and my gut reaction to the new M3 was...'shoot, they f^&ked it up.' Early on, there were some absolutely gorgeous depictions of the car, but over the past few months, it become apparent that they were moving away from the mark (e.g. mirrors). Will likely grow on me though, and I am sure it's an absolute beast of a car. Just don't like the looks much at all.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2007, 07:02 PM   #8
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 330i, '09 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post
...And this gorgeous car from BMW comes nowhere close to being F###ING rice!!!!!!!

Jason
Agree x 1000!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2007, 07:20 PM   #9
oldkingdom
Executive Producer
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 F82 M4 (YAS/Silverstone)

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2012 BMW Z4 35is  [8.00]
2007 e92 335i  [0.00]
(WARNING--"rice" term enclosed) :)

I know I'm really opening up a can of worms here... and let me apologize in advance because that is not my intention...

I don't know... I am supremely excited about the new M3 and I believe that in this show release concept form, the body and carbon fiber roof, etc are more equivilent to the M3 GTR than the street M3 that we'll all be purchasing so it's too early for people to be "hating."

I do think that it's absolutely beautiful... however, if we're gonna go on the assumintion that the vehicle as shown today in Geneva is the street release, then the fabled "rice" term does come to mind when I looked at the front/rear facias and the scoops in the hood. And when I say "rice" I'm using that term so delicately. I mean a car that even though it came from the factory, has the asian bolt-on, over sculpted look. Clearly not as bad as the accord-batmobiles you see on the street, but in it's own refined way... that's what it reminds me of. It looks like an aftermarket tuner already slapped their body kit on it to me, where I personally prefer a stock body with a nice wheel.

I love this car and I can't wait to see how good it's gonna look on the street, but I do believe it will be a more refined version (body-wise) when we get it. At least I hope so anyway. As of right now, I far prefer the front and rear valance of the e92kits.com package than this stock one... but again... I do not believe what we see here is what we'll get. This is the show car that is supposed to have the "wow" factor... which it most certainly does have. It looks amazing.

So, for me anyway... again, the wait begins.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2007, 08:10 PM   #10
M3_Defector
Rep
Drives: E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerM3 View Post

Um, last I checked it is called freedom of speech. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I just reluctantly sold my M3/E46 and will take delivery on my RS4 in 5 weeks. Upon seeing the concept version the car is just plain ugly to me! This would have been my 4th BMW...the inside looks like no imagination. Can't wait to see specs & price however.

BWM you had a nice run at things.. and deserve a standing
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2007, 08:13 PM   #11
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

hahahahahahahaha

Your going to own one before the year is up...

Jason
      03-06-2007, 08:39 PM   #12
Hans Delbruck
Major
United_States
Rep

I think some of you guys need to watch the video in the post below (@15:30)

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50068

In motion, it all works very well together.
The car is nowhere near "overdone" IMO. It is aggressive.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2007, 08:43 PM   #13
Hans Delbruck
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhmilosr View Post
Ricer - Definition: Cars of the type Honda Accord, Toyota Corolla, Mitso Evo
"One of these things is not like the other" .....
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2007, 09:12 PM   #14
Ghost Rider
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe

Those harsh criticisms you hear are the sounds of envy.

Love the car...slight imperfections and all.

Can't wait to get the cab with DSG.

Or, maybe I can't wait and just get me one quick with everything on it please.

Time to talk to my dealer about allocations.

Rejoice, a new M3 is just around the corner.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2007, 09:15 PM   #15
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 330i, '09 M3 Coupe

This thing is going to eat that new Lexus car alive. I can't wait to see the tests.

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2007, 09:38 PM   #16
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Holy jumping down my throat....

Look guys I am an ardent M3 owner and fan, although definitely not a fanboy! I am #4 on my dealers list to get this beast and if the official specs, mag. tests and my test drive go well I will be a proud owner of a car from the first US allocation! Perhaps some of you were not quite familiar with many of my posts in the past that have really supported and backed the car in the face of criticism. Let's not kill the messenger, just listen and disagree if we choose. That being said let me expand a bit on my "rice" comments.

Before doing so thanks mloyelo and M3 Defector for your "defense"!

I personally have wavered on the use of this term. For a while I thought it was even a bit racist. After reading much intelligent commentary (mostly by Asian enthusiasts!) I finally decided the term was not racist and can apply to any make, model, year, etc. Typically "rice" is done so poorly, but I contend rice can be done nicely with high quality, attention to detail and fine workmanship and still be "rice". My definition, which I think is shared by many includes enhancements, either factory or not that are supposed to look fast but do not make fast! Fairly simple. That being said I do not totally disagree with some of the other working definitions you other folks posted.

The power bulge may be needed (probably is) to house this fantastic V8, but does it have to be this large? Surely some "ricers" use hood bulges to hide non-existent turbos. The vents on the fenders and hood are probably totally functional, but aren't ricers known for over doing decorative louvers? The mirrors likely have some noise/flow functionality but aren't garish mirrors a common rice "enhancement"? The rear spoiler and diffuser absoutely have function, very important functions! But again you can read my mind on the next thought. Can anyone really argue that all of these features look totally native, integrated and well thought out on this car? I just can not do this right now. Maybe it will come to me, maybe not, and again I'm not saying these features stick out like a sore thumb, they could just be better integrated into the overall body and design (which is indeed stunning).

I hope this gives you all some further insights into my opinions and rationale on this car and on my choice of the term "rice".

Last but not least - don't forget - I am by far not the only person saying things along this line. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 08:21 AM   #17
herbz
hi
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 325e

"rice" is when a car has an agressive bodykit, but no performance to back it up.

the M3 can be styled as radically as it wants, it will still burn 99% of cars out there, thus it will never be "rice".
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 09:26 AM   #18
egone
Registered
Rep
Drives: 535d

You guys calling M3 rice because it has perfomance stuff like mirrors or gills? LOL Do you know word P E R F O R M A N C E ?! Maybe this mirror improve top speed +20? For me personally desing is only a background the most important thing is how it goes on the track and on the road. And I think that m division knows how to make fast cars...
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 09:34 AM   #19
EmUc
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C LBB 6MT

Everyone is entitled to their opinion just as much as you do, no need to take offense. My opinion is that the car looks very aggressive and cool, but it lost its subtlety. Which is what E46 M3 had. What's with that pimple on the hood? jeez it looks hideous. But that's my opinion. Not because I can't afford the car or I'm jealous of you. Because I don't love what I see so far. Again, it might look better in person like the M5 did.
2012 135i SG DCT - Gone
2004 M3 LSB 6MT - Gone
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 01:15 PM   #20
coaster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Look guys I am an ardent M3 owner and fan, although definitely not a fanboy!
Hey swamp, you don't have to justify your position to any of these guys. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Who cares what the Joes on this forum think. You gotta call it as you see it, period.

As for me I am already on record as loving everything about the car (including the front bumper) except for that freekin powerdome on the hood.

http://www.madmaxmovies.com/cars/mad...der/index.html
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 01:31 PM   #21
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaster View Post
Hey swamp, you don't have to justify your position to any of these guys. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Who cares what the Joes on this forum think. You gotta call it as you see it, period.

As for me I am already on record as loving everything about the car (including the front bumper) except for that freekin powerdome on the hood.
Cheers. I am with you on the hood as well. I like the powerdome concept, it is just a bit over the top in size. What is helping me get over the somewhat garish side view of the powerdome is the frontal and top/frontal views of the car. Here the 3D nature of the pd seems to follow the hood lines better and it definitely blends better with the cars lines. Hope this helps it grow on you because I think we are stuck with this size...
Appreciate 0