BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

10-25-2011, 02:45 PM   #23
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Well why didn't you tell me this back in 2009?

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 02:49 PM   #24
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soomro View Post
A Solid piece of advise for OP.

1. Stay AWAY FROM THAT GIRL BECAUSE YOU WILL LOOSE YOUR FREEDOM (YOU ALREADY HAVE LOST BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO ASK HER WHAT TO BUY OR NOT)
2. Stay away from investing in CARS.

3. Save Money.
4. And dont get married with the girl who you to ask permission to buy car.
5. SHE IS CONTROL FREAK. stay awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay from HER.
6. ENJOY your FREEDOM
Ha your way off on this one. I talk to her about things because I can. She isn't controlling me, but happens to have her head screwed on a little better than me!

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 08:25 PM   #25
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
The BMW 507 is one of the few post war BMWs that has a stronf presence in the collector car market. The Z8 has held its value but has not really appreciated. IMO the 2800CS and 3.0CS BMW coupes from the 70s are very undervalued and may be the best investment opportunity of modern BMWs. The chances of any of the current BMW models appreciating is very slim.

Most cars will depreciate for a while and then start to increase in value. Rarely do they appreciate past what they cost new, particularly when you take inflation into consideration.

There are some cars that have had a tremendous increase in value. A few months ago Rober Cumberford of Automobile Magazine wrote that in the late 60s a Belgian dealer offered him two Ferrari GTOs for $7,000. Cumberford passed on the deal. Today the combined value of those two Ferraris is probably $50,000,000.

It is impossible to predict which cars will become valuable collectables. In 1969 who would have predicted that in 40 years a Plymouth Hemi Cuda would be worth more than a Ferrari Daytona?

CA
Spot on regarding the 2800 and 3.0 CS. But realistically, The Z8 is a real world investment. I've been amazed at how they retain their value. If someone wants to buy a car that will actually make money, the late fifties and early sixties GM specialty full sized cars are good investments. Can't go wrong with '30s and '40s luxury cars, either.

Dinan compliment of stuff plus PF rotors and RG63s. Enough for now.
Why, yes. I am an abrasive bastard.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 09:06 PM   #26
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe View Post
Spot on regarding the 2800 and 3.0 CS. But realistically, The Z8 is a real world investment. I've been amazed at how they retain their value. If someone wants to buy a car that will actually make money, the late fifties and early sixties GM specialty full sized cars are good investments. Can't go wrong with '30s and '40s luxury cars, either.
If I had a place to keep it I would snatch a 2800CS or 3.0CS. I am by no stretch a BMW Fanboi but ever I always loved those cars.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 12:31 PM   #27
johnL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e46 M3

just buy the car for enjoyment purposes. Too risky to consider it an investment. Invest your time and money in other things. Cars are meant to be driven!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 12:50 PM   #28
IFX
Banned
Rep
Drives: AW e46M/N54

the current M3 will not be an investment, neither with the next one, etc.

It's mass produced, which means nothing special.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 06:21 PM   #29
boothguy
Piacere di Guidare
Rep
Drives: '11 E93 M3, 5-11 ED

Buying a car with an eye toward it's potential investment value is an extremely tricky thing, even for folks with a lot of experience. The main factors that determine whether or not a car will appreciate include:

Numbers produced, as stated by others above. The fewer there were, the better;

Price/exclusivity. If they were cheap and readily available when new, the market's probably flooded.

Beauty/performance. Helps to be widely recognized for both. Cult cars like Jensens or Bricklins aren't worth much.

Historical significance. Racing history, show car or normal production vehicle produced during the time of a personage such as Enzo Ferrari. Celebrity ownership sometimes helps.

Cachet. Some cars like Ferraris produced until about 1970 have it. Others never will. Extremely hard to be unemotional about and harder still to predict.

Even worse, now that everyone's wise to all this, every Corvette Indy Pace Car Special Edition is either way overpriced or the current owner is badly upside-down andn regretting he ever had the idea to have a car as an investment in the first place.

A few years back and certainly well before the stock market melted down, I saw a comparison chart of the price of a Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona coupe, compared with some stock, bond or other paper investment, over the same period of time (decades). And since the chart had been prepared by some investment firm or other, it naturally showed thatthe paper investment had the superior return. But then again, you can't take your bond portfolio on a blast up Pacific Coast Highway through Big Sur, either.
Appreciate 0