BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

10-11-2011, 08:01 PM   #1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m3

HID Kit Question

Hi guys, so I wanted to get rid of the ugly yellow angel eyes and make them into a HID version.

I've found HID kits on ebay for as low as $40. What is the difference between these LED ones and more expensive ones like LUX?

Let me know,
thanks.
RB
      10-12-2011, 08:54 AM   #2
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
I assume you meant HID in the last sentence and not LED. If that's the case then here is what Alex from Alpine told me about the difference in their kit is over all the generic HID kits that are out there:

"Just wanted to let you know, the kit is not a generic HID kit, those are my own AC ballast, not DC, all the wiring is copper filled, which the wires alone without the power board cost me over $36 since it is not aluminium, you can look at some of the strands, and you can look at www.kitco.com "metal quotes" and see the price of copper and how crazy high it is these days.

The bulbs base is also in place with copper filling to keep the heat down, if you look inside & around the bulb you will see, you will never find another bulb like that, only one company makes it.

These ballast contain a technology that only one factory in China holds, if you power the bulb while it is out of the socket, you will see almost no glare, and that is due to the ballast.

On our cars, the voltage on the angel eyes goes from 3.8v to 10.2 volts depending on the mode it is in, also the angel eyes are not FUSED, the car sees WATTAGE drops and spikes and disconnects power if needed. In most cases people use capacitors to boost the power not knowing power goes both ways, to the relay and to the car, now capacitors increase voltage, not wattage, and the car can not tell voltage has went up so it lets all the extra power come in burning the ECU over time."
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 09:20 AM   #3
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
You get what you pay for. The cheap stuff burns out, yellows your angel eyes, and all sorts of junk.

The Alpine HID kit is the brightest out there, but still gets warm. Some people are a little paranoid and don't want that heat inside the housing. They also have wires and stuff that run out of the headlight housing. LUX LED's don't get hot like that, and are basically plug and play with everything fitting inside the compartment. LUX definitely aren't as bright though.

All up to you.
      10-12-2011, 12:42 PM   #4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m3

Hmm....thanks for the reply guys.