BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

Mporium BMW

08-29-2009, 11:52 PM   #1
jakeburton
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Military Sales Program / ED

I'm trying to accrue information now so that when I actually order my M3 several months in the future, I feel confident in how I go about it. I've corresponded a little with Lisa at First Choice MSP, which seems to be the best reviewed one on these boards (Superior Motors is the other). I'm in Iraq, but my parents live in Germany. Is it inside the realm of possibility to order the car through MSP for European Delivery, then have my dad - whom I've given a general power of attorney - pick it up and register it in Europe? I read elsewhere on this board that doing so helps avoid various taxes when you bring it back to the States, most notably the 2.5% import tax. Of course, how after that will I get it back to America? If that's not possible, I'm stationed in NC but a resident of GA. What's the best place to take delivery/register as far as state sales tax goes? I know Florida has an easy way to avoid sales tax, and there's been lots of talk of Oregon and California, but these two states I haven't found mentioned. And even if I can't work ED, I'll at least try and score a test drive when I'm in Germany on R&R

Thanks guys, I'll probably be bumping this post from time to time as the time passes!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 12:45 AM   #2
C17MooseDriver
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeburton View Post
I'm trying to accrue information now so that when I actually order my M3 several months in the future, I feel confident in how I go about it. I've corresponded a little with Lisa at First Choice MSP, which seems to be the best reviewed one on these boards (Superior Motors is the other). I'm in Iraq, but my parents live in Germany. Is it inside the realm of possibility to order the car through MSP for European Delivery, then have my dad - whom I've given a general power of attorney - pick it up and register it in Europe? I read elsewhere on this board that doing so helps avoid various taxes when you bring it back to the States, most notably the 2.5% import tax. Of course, how after that will I get it back to America? If that's not possible, I'm stationed in NC but a resident of GA. What's the best place to take delivery/register as far as state sales tax goes? I know Florida has an easy way to avoid sales tax, and there's been lots of talk of Oregon and California, but these two states I haven't found mentioned. And even if I can't work ED, I'll at least try and score a test drive when I'm in Germany on R&R

Thanks guys, I'll probably be bumping this post from time to time as the time passes!
First off, stay safe in Iraq.

Unfortunately I don't know the answer about ED. I purchased through Pentagon Car Sales military sales program. I had it registered in Hawaii, and didn't have to pay sales tax since I'm military.

I bought a BMW through the MSP a few years back also and registered it in Washington State. Big mistake, had to pay 10% sales tax. Never again.

BTW, the only negative about picking it up in Europe and registering it there, is that you'd have to ship it yourself. the MSP will ship it to your local BMW and have to detail it for you. Real easy and painless.
      08-30-2009, 02:17 AM   #3
Moxie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 328d Touring/SG 335d

Quote:

PM'd
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 06:35 AM   #4
10M3MAN
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Nissan Altima SER

Im also in Iraq and about to order a 2010 M3 E90, I'm going through Superior Motors and I asked about ED and they said at the time it was not allowed but they were talking about some sort of plan to offer it in the future. I hope to have mine ordered by the end of the year...
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2009, 04:36 AM   #5
Moxie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10M3MAN View Post
Im also in Iraq and about to order a 2010 M3 E90, I'm going through Superior Motors and I asked about ED and they said at the time it was not allowed but they were talking about some sort of plan to offer it in the future. I hope to have mine ordered by the end of the year...
It seems odd that it is not allowed - It's allowed for us in Germany. Maybe you could buy it from Military Sales here and get the ED? It costs $400 but then you don't pay the $200 destination fee, so it's an additional $200 out of pocket.

I just got an e-mail from my SA. Pricing came out yesterday and he told me "the good news at first glance is the base price dropped $1850.00"

Good news, eh??? Now maybe I can put it into more mods...

Be Safe Brother

Last edited by Moxie; 09-06-2009 at 08:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2009, 04:42 AM   #6
jakeburton
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

My SA told me that you can pick up from BMW Welt in Munich if you do ED through the MSP. However, I don't think she understood that I'd then want to ship it back to the states. Haven't received the pricing, either. Hopefully the price drop is for real!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2009, 08:58 AM   #7
Moxie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My SA told me that you can pick up from BMW Welt in Munich if you do ED through the MSP. However, I don't think she understood that I'd then want to ship it back to the states. Haven't received the pricing, either. Hopefully the price drop is for real!
Shipment back to the States is included in the price. I think they issue a temporary tag unless you are stationed here. I'll let you know on pricing when I get my purchase order. We don't get the .9% finance option, so maybe they are taking it off the top?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2009, 03:35 PM   #8
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
I did MSP via Pentagon Military Sales last year in July 2008 and I believe you can pickup the car in Germany at Munich and drive it for 30 days OR if stationed there have it registered there. Shipment stateside for a car owner not stationed in Europe was like $400-600 I think and included in the price overall. There were a bunch of drop off points I recall in Italy, France, Germany listed that they gave you so you could drive the car and drop it off for shipment. Of course if you are stationed OCONUS then Uncle Sam will ship your car as part of your PCS and you'll avoid taxes too. I had to pay Maryland taxes despite being military so hats off to you guys who got away with that one. My bud Shady1 is in Iraq and got his car the same way and also had to pay taxes to GA I think before he PCS'd to Texas....so definately ask around as it can be tricky.

Good luck and keep your head down over there so you can enjoy your car soon!
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 12:45 PM   #9
Moxie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The price drop is for real on the E90 - Signed my purchase order today. It'd be reasonable to think they dropped all models $1850, but who know's. Our shipping to the States is factored into the price of the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 09:00 AM   #10
mitchellcrumbles
Registered
Rep
Drives: chevy tahoe

Hawaii taxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by C17MooseDriver View Post
First off, stay safe in Iraq.

Unfortunately I don't know the answer about ED. I purchased through Pentagon Car Sales military sales program. I had it registered in Hawaii, and didn't have to pay sales tax since I'm military.

I bought a BMW through the MSP a few years back also and registered it in Washington State. Big mistake, had to pay 10% sales tax. Never again.

BTW, the only negative about picking it up in Europe and registering it there, is that you'd have to ship it yourself. the MSP will ship it to your local BMW and have to detail it for you. Real easy and painless.

I am trying to oder my BMW from superior. I am statined in Schofield but currently deployed to Iraq. Could you please give me some more information about the tax "break" you had with your BMW. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 09:37 AM   #11
RyuHayabusa
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 LMB M3

Not to thread jack, but does anyone know how financing works with MSP? Can you go through BMW financial and get the advertised rates?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 03:26 PM   #12
C17MooseDriver
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellcrumbles View Post
I am trying to oder my BMW from superior. I am statined in Schofield but currently deployed to Iraq. Could you please give me some more information about the tax "break" you had with your BMW. Thanks
Just google it. There's a form you fill out to avoid the "use tax", which basically is sales tax.

The form has several options on why you shouldn't pay the use tax, i.e., car was bought used from a individual; it was a gift; you intend to keep it on the island for less than a year.

I chose the last option.
      10-06-2010, 10:44 PM   #13
Tio///M
///M South Lead
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jerez Blk / Fox Red Ext

The key is to have the car titled in Germany under SOFA/Rules through U.S. Vehicle registration. This way when you bring it back stateside, that way you can prove that it has been titled. So no state specific tax on new car title. Also the BIG BIG thing to avoide car sales tax of any kind is to have the car in your possesion or your family's possesion is for atleast 180 days.

Federal Gov't says after 180 days no tax on new car, saved me 4gs in Florida. So order it and time it right have it delievered and then register back stateside 180 days later to avoid the tax. My guy Karl over at Military Car Sales in Ansbach hooked me up big time!!

GL and be safe!

P.S. shipping back to port is included in your purchase. Also make sure you seek the port that suits you best for delivery as you have to pay a one time fee of delivery and customs paperwork. Charleston, SC why price friendly compared to GA. GA charges you a certain percent as SC was one flat fee. Pick it up in SC and pay the flat fee and figure out who gives you a better rate for tag, title, and transfer thru either GA of NC, I think NC is more military friendly than GA. So I would check with those respective DMVs office.

MFlight!! .......NOW
///M SOUTH
on Facebook!!
FOR SALE!!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 01:05 AM   #14
Gitti_M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 AW/FR

Call your DMV- taxes are state specific

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio///M View Post
The key is to have the car titled in Germany under SOFA/Rules through U.S. Vehicle registration. This way when you bring it back stateside, that way you can prove that it has been titled. So no state specific tax on new car title. Also the BIG BIG thing to avoide car sales tax of any kind is to have the car in your possesion or your family's possesion is for atleast 180 days.

Federal Gov't says after 180 days no tax on new car, saved me 4gs in Florida. So order it and time it right have it delievered and then register back stateside 180 days later to avoid the tax. My guy Karl over at Military Car Sales in Ansbach hooked me up big time!!

GL and be safe!

P.S. shipping back to port is included in your purchase. Also make sure you seek the port that suits you best for delivery as you have to pay a one time fee of delivery and customs paperwork. Charleston, SC why price friendly compared to GA. GA charges you a certain percent as SC was one flat fee. Pick it up in SC and pay the flat fee and figure out who gives you a better rate for tag, title, and transfer thru either GA of NC, I think NC is more military friendly than GA. So I would check with those respective DMVs office.

^
Exactly-
I'm stationed in Korea and an NC resident. I actually called the Tax office at NC DMV and will import the car as 'used' vehicle because it'll have SOFA registration and >180 days of ownership. Only thing that sucks is trying to enjoy the M3 in Seoul traffic!!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 01:38 AM   #15
RayC
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitti_M3 View Post
^
Exactly-
I'm stationed in Korea and an NC resident. I actually called the Tax office at NC DMV and will import the car as 'used' vehicle because it'll have SOFA registration and >180 days of ownership. Only thing that sucks is trying to enjoy the M3 in Seoul traffic!!
Take it out to the track! There's a couple of us that hit up Taebaek Raceway as often as we can. The F1 track is supposed to open up to the public too.

Next track day for us is 16 OCT. PM me if interested.
Appreciate 0