BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada

11-27-2012, 09:46 AM   #1
MaxL
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, Cayenne T, 991 GT3

Battery not covered by warranty?

My battery died 4 times in the last 2 weeks so I brought it in. The SA told me that the car is not driven enough, so it's not that the battery is defective but my fault so the car is not covered. Well, the car is 3.5 years old, has 55,000km and I was putting in on the battery tender when I parked it for over a month. Beats me how this can be my fault. Anyway, they are predicting $150 for test and $500 or so for the battery.

Is this normal or should I push or take it elsewhere?

It's at BMW Parkview - first time I'm having problems with them.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 02:24 PM   #2
MaxL
Captain
Canada
Rep

I am dumbfounded by the treatment I've got - the rep first blamed not driving the car enough. I pointed out that they are actually selling leases with smaller mileage allowance than that. So then he told me that computer shows that car was waking up all the time, probably because the key was close to the car. I explained to him how that was not possible - the car is parked in a private garage rather far from the house. Then he told me that it was because I was locking the car using comfort access and that's not the proper way to close the car, and this was the final reason for not covering this.

SERIOUSLY? I think that guy should be fired for driving customers away from the dealership and the brand.

I will take the car to another dealer. It's not worth my time, but I just cannot stomach being treated like that.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 02:30 PM   #3
chris s
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2022 Dravit G80 M3

you're likely to get the same response. It is directly related to the amount of driving one does. I have the same issue with low charge messages. If i drive the car for a good 30 plus minutes or more, it seems to recharge properly.

Not suggesting that the SA handled it well, but i don't think you will have luck elsewhere either.
2008 AW e92 M3 6MT, ESS SC, BBS LM's...SOLD!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 02:52 PM   #4
MaxL
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris s View Post
you're likely to get the same response. It is directly related to the amount of driving one does. I have the same issue with low charge messages. If i drive the car for a good 30 plus minutes or more, it seems to recharge properly.

Not suggesting that the SA handled it well, but i don't think you will have luck elsewhere either.
I am driving 15K/year and the battery cannot hold the charge overnight - does not seem normal to me. To add insult to injury a friend of mine just had his battery replaced via warranty on his X5M, which had under 10,000km and was almost 3 years old...

Anyway, anyone who tells a customer that they should not be using comfort access to lock the car (what else is it for???) is an a-hole in my view...
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 03:54 PM   #5
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Sorry to hear Max, On my last car I was starting to get that after about 3 years and not driving it daily. Budds suggested that it could be due to not long enough trips in the car and not fully charging which ended up being the case. I ended up just leaving it on the trickle charger when I knew I wouldn't drive it for longer periods of time. I didnt have any issues with starting although I would get the warning and some times my clock would lose time. Never did they suggest it wouldn't be covered though if it was failing.

Seems to me you weren't treated right regardless if that's the real issue or not. Not locking your car properly, seriously WTF? I would have lost my mind on the guy who told me that.

Good Luck, hope you get it sorted
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 04:01 PM   #6
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 6MT E92 M3

It is not about how many KM you have on your car, it is about how far you drive on each trip. My battery was replaced under warranty because I bought a CPO M3 and the car sat in their lot for around 7-8 months. So pretty much 2 months after I got the car, my clock was slow and since it was their fault (car sitting in the lot for a long time), they replaced it under warranty.

As Jaypod mentioned, no matter if they are right or not, it seems like that they did not treat you right.

GL

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 04:12 PM   #7
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxL View Post
I am driving 15K/year and the battery cannot hold the charge overnight - does not seem normal to me. To add insult to injury a friend of mine just had his battery replaced via warranty on his X5M, which had under 10,000km and was almost 3 years old...

Anyway, anyone who tells a customer that they should not be using comfort access to lock the car (what else is it for???) is an a-hole in my view...
Everytime that I have been into Parkview lately there seems to be all new staff in service.My wifes last few trips there have been quite problematic in getting things done properly.Parkview used to be much better than this level of service.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 04:39 PM   #8
MaxL
Captain
Canada
Rep

After I took my car from them, their service manager called me and apologized. Even though he did not offer to cover the replacement, at least he made sense and was a reasonable person.

He explained that they cannot cover the battery because of low km since last service, but the battery is drained not by that but rather by vehicle waking up all the time, but they have no evidence that vehicle is waking up on it's own - according to the black box, it is woken up by the key (which is should not be the case as far as I know)...

So that makes matters even worse - if it's an issue with a car, I'll buy a new battery, and it will likely die on me again. The manager told me that
they would like to look into that again if I bring the car back. He said he could not guarantee that they end up covering the battery, but it may happen depending on the findings.

Now, I am not pissed anymore, after speaking with a reasonable person, and I do not care that much if I need to pay for the battery - I just want to make sure the car works fine and is not killing battery. So would I have better chances of getting it done by bringing car to them or to another dealer? Seems like they have the background info and showed the interested in rectifying the situation, but as they say, fool me once...
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 08:48 PM   #9
M3-Mike
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

I stopped going to Parkview a long time ago due to similar shitty service. Endras BMW have been really good to me, I would recommend you give them a try... a bit of a longer drive, but very worth it. Budd's BMW in Oakville is also great and you can get our buddy Chris O. to service your car too.

I had a similar battery drain due to an aftermarket accessory plugged into the battery which was draining the battery very slowly... would cause the computer to display messages, the clock to reset time, etc. If you have any aftermarket electrical stuff you may want to disconnect them to see if that stops the drain.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 09:02 PM   #10
MaxL
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-Mike View Post
I stopped going to Parkview a long time ago due to similar shitty service. Endras BMW have been really good to me, I would recommend you give them a try... a bit of a longer drive, but very worth it. Budd's BMW in Oakville is also great and you can get our buddy Chris O. to service your car too.

I had a similar battery drain due to an aftermarket accessory plugged into the battery which was draining the battery very slowly... would cause the computer to display messages, the clock to reset time, etc. If you have any aftermarket electrical stuff you may want to disconnect them to see if that stops the drain.
Nope, no accessories. They also checked the sleep drain, and it's normal. The car just does not sleep much :-(
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 09:05 PM   #11
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Quote:
Nope, no accessories. They also checked the sleep drain, and it's normal. The car just does not sleep much :-(
That's because you leave it's head spinning, it never knows what you are going to do on the track and it keeps having recurring nightmares.......
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 09:08 PM   #12
sawzall
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Car

Garage List
2012 911S  [10.00]
2011 911 GT3 RS  [0.00]
Quote:
Maybe its a raccoon that's mistaken your car for a really big garbage bin, and keeps pulling the handles trying to get in.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 09:51 PM   #13
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

Parkview service is horrible, as is their sister dealer, Toronto BMW.
Neither the techs or the SAs know what they are doing.
      11-29-2012, 03:01 PM   #14
2000gsr
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4

I got screwed over on the battery replacement as well. My battery died after only 3 years. Told me that I didn't drive enough(I do approximately 35km round trip daily) and needed to put my car on trickle charge. What if I live in an apartment and don't have access to a power outlet? I don't want to leave my hood and or trunk open in underground parking. This is a situation where the dealer should step up and replace the battery under warranty for people who buy $80k cars. My dealer (Budds) did not replace it for me even after I made a huge stink, so I took my business elsewhere. I drove even less in my Integra and battery easily lasted 6 to 7 years. Go figure?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 08:54 PM   #15
Ottawarealtor
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09'535ix

Possible solution

This problem is not unique to M3's,I had it also on my E60.finally solved it by turning car off and then pressing the stop key a 2nd time,which immediately turns everything off,instead of the one push which takes about 7 minutes for the car to go to sleep.This solution worked for me after going through 2 batteries with your problem.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 07:53 AM   #16
2000gsr
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawarealtor View Post
This problem is not unique to M3's,I had it also on my E60.finally solved it by turning car off and then pressing the stop key a 2nd time,which immediately turns everything off,instead of the one push which takes about 7 minutes for the car to go to sleep.This solution worked for me after going through 2 batteries with your problem.

I always push the start button twice when turning off my car, battery still died in 3 years.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 09:55 AM   #17
Ottawarealtor
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09'535ix

one other thought

I don't know if you have NAV or not,but I had a copied cd when I was having the problem of battery drain,and recently replaced it with a OEM one,and no drain problems since.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 10:29 AM   #18
crunchy_frog
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

So now to prevent battery drain and make the battery last longer i need to

-drive more than 30mins
-after that park the car
-press start button twice when exiting
-remove nav cd
-pop the hood or the trunk
-buy a trickle charger
-make sure the key is a lead lined box if i can't keep it at least 100m away
-go thru a decontamination chamber to get rid of negative ions

WTH!
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 09:16 AM   #19
a///Mazed
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 IB E92

If this helps.

I bought my 09 a couple months ago with low battery. They claimed it was due to short trips from the last owner. Took it in, they charged it up over night, 3 months later only 27% left. Brought it back in to the same guy and they replaced the battery under warranty, and ran a drain test to ensure the car had no other issues. No questions asked at Mississauga BMW.

If anything, they also gave me a brand new 5 series as a loner for a couple days. =P
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 09:50 PM   #20
2000gsr
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by a///Mazing View Post
If this helps.

I bought my 09 a couple months ago with low battery. They claimed it was due to short trips from the last owner. Took it in, they charged it up over night, 3 months later only 27% left. Brought it back in to the same guy and they replaced the battery under warranty, and ran a drain test to ensure the car had no other issues. No questions asked at Mississauga BMW.

If anything, they also gave me a brand new 5 series as a loner for a couple days. =P

Did you buy the car from bmw mississauga? Good for the dealership to step up, wish i could say the same for Budds. That low km business is nonsense, a fucking civic's battery doesn't die over low kms, why does an m3? I understand a weekend car like a ferrari or lambo needs to be charged but a daily driven m3? An m3 with an actual warranty on the battery for fuck sakes!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 09:01 AM   #21
a///Mazed
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 IB E92

No, it was a private sale. Car was originally bought in Kitchener, Waterloo.

Honestly, I think our cars have way too much electrical crap. Although much simpler, none of my Honda's ever had issues like this. I could park it in the lot and listen to the music for hours and never have to worry about the battery.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 07:30 PM   #22
MaxL
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by a///Mazing View Post
No, it was a private sale. Car was originally bought in Kitchener, Waterloo.

Honestly, I think our cars have way too much electrical crap. Although much simpler, none of my Honda's ever had issues like this. I could park it in the lot and listen to the music for hours and never have to worry about the battery.
I used to do that on 335xi too without any issues. Running lights, and portable vacuum cleaner without any issues with the battery. That's partially the reason I was worried then this battery died.
Appreciate 0