BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

03-12-2013, 10:41 PM   #23
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S View Post
Aus, I have seen a few that were re-welded. If it is a good clean cut with a good welder I doubt anyone would be hard pressed to tell you had the xpipe cut.

I'm lucky found a used one for $150 awhile back and cut that one up while keeping the one that came on the car.

Dave
Thanks Dave. I'm hoping the smog guys will overlook a clamp as long as it's still the OEM X-pipe as long as it passes the sniffer or OBD inspection in a few years. For the people who don't know, we have to also pass a visual inspection in addition to the sniffer. Later on, Cali should only have an OBD port inspection and visual inspection.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 12:38 AM   #24
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
BUMP.

More on the clamp(s). I noticed MS test pipes clamps are different diameter from one side to the other as seen here.

http://www.machtschnell.com/sites/de...15%5D%2001.jpg

Turners for example are the same size all at both ends of the clamp as seen here.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/imag...ck_pipes_2.jpg

If I plan on buying test pipes to have welded to a stock x pipe, are the MS ones going to be a smaller diameter than the stock x pipe? Does it matter?

Thanks!
      08-12-2013, 08:45 AM   #25
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILSMKU View Post
BUMP.

More on the clamp(s). I noticed MS test pipes clamps are different diameter from one side to the other as seen here.

Turners for example are the same size all at both ends of the clamp as seen here.

If I plan on buying test pipes to have welded to a stock x pipe, are the MS ones going to be a smaller diameter than the stock x pipe? Does it matter?

Thanks!
Head my advise buddy. Stay away from MS products. Get turner or ACM and call it a day. I was hoping you already had them on your car by now!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 11:12 AM   #26
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILSMKU View Post
BUMP.

Thanks!
Doesn't matter. There's no need to weld when clamps are provided.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 09:16 PM   #27
Someone?
Perception is King
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

SO these just replace the Primary Cats and you still run the secondary Cats and the ressies? and you gain BIG Power and still sounds civil?
      08-12-2013, 09:52 PM   #28
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Supersprint and Evolve now make them too.
Nothing Supersprint will be cheap but it's usually well made.

Evolve had some issues with the first batch, so they didn' sell them. That says something to me.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 11:34 PM   #29
SYZ
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: :O

Garage List
I have Turner pipes which have coupling clamps like almost every other test pipe offered i.e. ACM, Maach Schnell, etc. The only test pipe design that stands out from the rest is Evolve's which have a flanged fitting that slips over the stock x-pipe. I feel this is a much better way to fit together exhaust pipes over a coupling design. This slip design allows for easier adjustment, installation and they're less prone to leaks. I was very surprised no other company offered this design at the time I made my purchase.
I'd go with Evolve's pipes any day over the others.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 07:37 AM   #30
Someone?
Perception is King
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYZ View Post
I have Turner pipes which have coupling clamps like almost every other test pipe offered i.e. ACM, Maach Schnell, etc. The only test pipe design that stands out from the rest is Evolve's which have a flanged fitting that slips over the stock x-pipe. I feel this is a much better way to fit together exhaust pipes over a coupling design. This slip design allows for easier adjustment, installation and they're less prone to leaks. I was very surprised no other company offered this design at the time I made my purchase.
I'd go with Evolve's pipes any day over the others.
So where can you buy Evolve's test pipes? go ah link?
      08-13-2013, 08:44 AM   #31
e92livin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Supersprint just came out with some test pipes that dont throw the CEL on, I would look into that if you don't have a tune. to me test pipes are test pipes no matter what route you take.
|Gintani Supercharged|Gintani X-Pipe|Stack Gauges|Volk TE37SL|BC Racing Coilovers|Nitto NT05R |BMW Performance Spoiler|BMW Performance Steering Wheel|BMW Performance Side Gills + Grilles|Mode Carbon V1 Endurance|IND Tri- Stitched Shift + Brake Boot - 566WHP, 371WTQ |
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 10:52 AM   #32
gabadoo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e93 Melbourne Red

Turner pipes

I just got the Turner Test pipes put on, with my Megan exhaust. I kept the factory X pipe. The installer said the TTP were a little short. THey cut the old pipes out and welded the Test pipes in place. Installed the Megan. They did this for $200 with tax.

I got a cel the next day. I am getting the BPM tune in the group buy to fix it and hopefully get this setup to its optimum potential.

I must say this combination sounds awesome. I haven't heard many setups in person, but I am really really happy. There is a very slight drone around 2k RPM's but you aren't at that RPM's for most driving. Cruising at highway there is zero drone.

I must have asked my fiance 100 times how she liked the sound, and what did she think about it on Sunday eventually telling me to stfu already. However yesterday she admitted to me it did sound awesome. So there you go, GF / significant other approved.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 10:59 AM   #33
Shaan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 / '14 Tundra

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabadoo View Post
I just got the Turner Test pipes put on, with my Megan exhaust. I kept the factory X pipe. The installer said the TTP were a little short. THey cut the old pipes out and welded the Test pipes in place. Installed the Megan. They did this for $200 with tax.

I got a cel the next day. I am getting the BPM tune in the group buy to fix it and hopefully get this setup to its optimum potential.

I must say this combination sounds awesome. I haven't heard many setups in person, but I am really really happy. There is a very slight drone around 2k RPM's but you aren't at that RPM's for most driving. Cruising at highway there is zero drone.

I must have asked my fiance 100 times how she liked the sound, and what did she think about it on Sunday eventually telling me to stfu already. However yesterday she admitted to me it did sound awesome. So there you go, GF / significant other approved.
any videos?? I'm running Megan as well. looking to get TTP soon
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 11:17 AM   #34
gabadoo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e93 Melbourne Red

megan

I dont have any videos, and it would be with an iphone so..... I did use this video as a basis for my decision. I think this video belongs to a fellow forum member:

There is zero rasp with the exhaust even at WOT and redline. The sound at idle and low RPM's is definately deepened. Basically you know there is a v8 under the hood. After about 3500 the tone comes alive and I really enjoy it, especially for the money. Pipes + exhaust + install for around 1200-1300.
Appreciate 0