BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

12-10-2011, 01:24 PM   #1
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

How to stream music via bluetooth for any E9xs w/ipod integration for under $45

Edit: The title is misleading. This is for any E9x vehicle that has ipod integration.

I was a bit disappointed that streaming music from my phone was not possible w/out upgrading to an '09 navi setup, so I've been checking out ways to make it happen. I have the ipod setup in the armrest, and so far have been using my USB port and 16gb flash drive. When I go to the gym, I use a wireless bluetooth headset from Samsung. The only problem with it is that it doesn't have options to change tracks, pause, etc. And you can only use the headphones that are attached to the headset. Fast forward to the other night, when I was checking out the new accessories for the new Galaxy Tabs and I came across this:

It's the new Samsung HS3000 Bluetooth Stereo Headset Kit. You can read more about it here. Long story short, this unit has controls for music playback on it, as well as a 3.5mm jack to plug in a different pair of headphones. When I saw it, I was thinking that I could use the 3.5mm adapter in the armrest and get one of these

and that I would be able to plug it into the bluetooth headset and that things would be copacetic. I found the headset on eBay for $32 shipped, and picked up a cheap retractable cable similar to the one shown above.

Everything came in last night. I have a Samsung Galaxy S II, and I use a music app named PowerAmp (http://powerampapp.com) If you have an Android, PowerAmp should be your music player of choice. This feature-rich app has a working preamp, 10 band eq, and a slew of other options that make it well worth the $5.00 to purchase it. One of aforementioned features is to allow playback upon connection to a bluetooth headset. I paired the headset to the phone, then connected the headset to the car via the 3.5mm cable, and music playback was achieved

The headset charges via a microusb port, so if you'd like, you can get a USB-to-microusb cable and connect the headset to the USB port in the car to have it constantly charging while in use.

As mentioned before, the headset has track control, and it works flawlessly w/PowerAmp. You have the option to either control track selection via your phone, or via the headset.

I paid:
-$32 for the headset
-$4.99 for PowerAmp
-$3.xx for the microusb to usb
-$3.xx for the 3.5mm to 3.5mm jack

The sound is just as good as if I were listening via plugging the 3.5 jack straight into the phone, and it doesn't lose signal, so there is no choppiness. A cheap, easy solution that I'm *thoroughly* pleased with. I'll get some video up later today/tonight.

It goes without saying that you need to set your stereo for AUX input.

Last edited by whats77inaname; 02-25-2015 at 10:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 03:48 PM   #2
beanboy
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 M3, 03 360 Modena

How long does battery last you?

Any idea if this would work with an iPhone?

Nice job on the creativity

Parker
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 01:33 AM   #3
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

1) I would surmise that since this works with A2DP, it would work w/an iphone. Since I've never owned an i-device, I can't give you a conclusive answer on that.

2) The manual says talk time is 7 hrs, playing time is 6 hrs, standby is 170 hrs, and charge time is 2 hrs. If you use the microusb to usb to charge while in use, I'm sure you can extend that quite a bit.

3) Thank you I like to think a bit outside the box.

I have long been a proponent that traditional stereo head units are obsolete. A smartphone easily works as a substitute. In my truck, I was using a Samsung Galaxy Tab for the head unit. Now, I'm just using this headset. When you look inside, there's nothing to see in the dash, it looks like the truck doesn't have a stereo, although it houses an ID/Focal/Audison system It's completely stealth, which is how I like things. The acquisition of this device mean that in the truck, I have to relocate a couple wires now, but other than that, I'm pretty much done with the install. I can also now use the phone to stream anything on the 'net (I have an unlimited data plan through Sprint) so I'm not limited to the music on my phone, although it has 32gb of total storage.

The Galaxy SII also has HDMI out. Using a hdmi to rca adapter, I'm thinking I can get my phone to display on the nav screen using the modmynav box and using the phone as the input instead of the camera. No more DVD navigation, say hello to Google maps. I'll know more in a couple weeks.

Last edited by whats77inaname; 12-12-2011 at 10:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 06:37 AM   #4
Dannys M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jaguar F Type R

Garage List
2008 M3  [10.00]
Where did you get this for $32?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 08:05 AM   #5
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannys M3 View Post
Where did you get this for $32?
Check out ebay auction 120826349733. That person has them BNIB for $29.95 shipped, and has multiple units.

Last edited by whats77inaname; 12-12-2011 at 03:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 06:56 PM   #6
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker

Any idea if this would work with an iphone?

Parker
Yes. I hooked up my son's ipod touch, and the track selection/fwd/rwd/volume buttons all work, so I'm assuming you won't have any issues with the iphone.

Last edited by whats77inaname; 12-13-2011 at 08:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 11:57 PM   #7
reechar
Poorhouse
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

thanks for the tip. I went out and bought one after reading this. Should be arriving in the next couple of days. Can't wait to try it out.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 12:15 AM   #8
ChrisAW
Rear Admiral
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Fantastic idea!

Does anyone know if this will interfere with the hands-free bluetooth phone integration? Would I be able to have my phone connected to the car for phonecalls and the bluetooth headset connected at the same time? (I'm on an iPhone)

Thanks!
      12-14-2011, 12:30 AM   #9
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisAW View Post
Fantastic idea!

Does anyone know if this will interfere with the hands-free bluetooth phone integration? Would I be able to have my phone connected to the car for phonecalls and the bluetooth headset connected at the same time? (I'm on an iPhone)

Thanks!
That's a good question. I refrain from blue-toothing my phone to the car, so I'll have to play with it a bit tomorrow after work and let you know what I find out.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 02:17 PM   #10
Neon01
BMW Nut
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 X5 35i

Garage List
I found this thread of interest because I've been trying to figure out a way to stream music via bluetooth to my car ('09 M3 with idrive/ipod integration), but I'm struggling with this a bit - are you doing this simply to avoid the wires? Because if not, why not just use the headphone jack on your phone instead of bluetooth? I've never had a problem from mine other than the fact that it's very quiet.

The issue I'm trying to get around is the bad amp in my phone (GSM Galaxy Nexus), which doesn't output clean quality sound at any respectable volume. This is likely because the impedance of the car input is too high for it the phone's amp to drive it properly. Do you find this to be an issue with your setup? i.e. is the bluetooth module's built in amp adequate to drive the car input without distortion and at normal volume knob "volume" (gain)?

Last edited by Neon01; 12-14-2011 at 02:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 02:25 PM   #11
Neon01
BMW Nut
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Sorry, double post
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 03:52 PM   #12
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon01 View Post
I found this thread of interest because I've been trying to figure out a way to stream music via bluetooth to my car ('09 M3 with idrive/ipod integration), but I'm struggling with this a bit - are you doing this simply to avoid the wires? Because if not, why not just use the headphone jack on your phone instead of bluetooth? I've never had a problem from mine other than the fact that it's very quiet.

The issue I'm trying to get around is the bad amp in my phone (GSM Galaxy Nexus), which doesn't output clean quality sound at any respectable volume. This is likely because the impedance of the car input is too high for it the phone's amp to drive it properly. Do you find this to be an issue with your setup? i.e. is the bluetooth module's built in amp adequate to drive the car input without distortion and at normal volume knob "volume" (gain)?
I don't like wires, and the nav is so-so. My end-game is to get a modmynav box and display my phone on the stock nav dispay. I'm fabricating a mount that will allow the phone to sit horizontally when the ashtray is opened, feed the display, and charge the phone at the same time. I can switch between GoogleMaps, the music, trackmaster, etc, and essentially use the phone as the infotainment center and bypass the stock setup. It all depends on the resolution of the phone in the display.

I have zero distortion utilizing my method. I've compared it by plugging the phone in using the headset jack, and it sounds the exact same at all volumes.

Last edited by whats77inaname; 12-14-2011 at 04:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 07:43 PM   #13
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisAW View Post

Thanks!
I paired my phone to the car and the headset. I made a call through the car, the music muted, everything piped through the speakers just like it normally would, the caller was able to hear me just fine, and vice versa. When the call disconnected, the music picked right back up where it left off. I then had my buddy call me, and the call came through the car, the menu to accept or reject came up as it normally would and we had another short conversation. We hung up, and the music picked up where it left off. This was all done with the headset in the console w/the console lid closed.

My assumption is that you'll be good.

Last edited by whats77inaname; 12-14-2011 at 07:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 09:45 PM   #14
Neon01
BMW Nut
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
I paired my phone to the car and the headset. I made a call through the car, the music muted, everything piped through the speakers just like it normally would, the caller was able to hear me just fine, and vice versa. When the call disconnected, the music picked right back up where it left off. I then had my buddy call me, and the call came through the car, the menu to accept or reject came up as it normally would and we had another short conversation. We hung up, and the music picked up where it left off. This was all done with the headset in the console w/the console lid closed.

Great news, thanks for posting this, as I was wondering as well
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 11:47 PM   #15
ChrisAW
Rear Admiral
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post

Awesome! Thanks for testing this and a big thanks for this out of the box idea!

I ordered mine tonight.
      12-15-2011, 12:00 AM   #16
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Not a problem. I guess a lot of people started ordering, the guy went up $3.00 in price *lol*
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 08:36 PM   #17
Dannys M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jaguar F Type R

Garage List
2008 M3  [10.00]
Mine arrived this morning. I do not get any sound from the right side using earphones or any other earbuds. There is a significant loss of sound quality currently when plugged into the car. I'll also add that my all my speakers and amps in the car are aftermarket. I would guess my HS3000 is defective.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 11:10 PM   #18
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannys M3 View Post
Mine arrived this morning. I do not get any sound from the right side using earphones or any other earbuds. There is a significant loss of sound quality currently when plugged into the car. I'll also add that my all my speakers and amps in the car are aftermarket. I would guess my HS3000 is defective.
I would have to say it is the unit. Two add'l units came in today, zero problems.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 06:15 PM   #19
ChrisAW
Rear Admiral
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I finally got around to putting this thing in. Works just like you described with calls/music.
      03-20-2012, 03:53 PM   #20
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Excellent
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 04:09 PM   #21
mazda3ndp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E9x M3

I have messed with a few different setups, trying the blackberry bluetooth receiver...the sprint anycom dock connector, and all of them either worked but had terrible buzzing, or didnt work at all.....

I figured I would share since I stumbled onto this thread. i found the perfect solution, the XtremeMac InCharge Auto Aux,10W Charger & Auxiliary Cable. I found it on priceplunge.com for $7.99. they cycle the deals every week or so. its byfar the cleanest solution I have found, and it works seamlessly with bluetooth phonecalls, and music streaming. there is no buzzing, or other hiccups, and it comes with a iphone cable, and it can also charge your phone.Ill take some pics of my setup later
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 02:12 PM   #22
beanboy
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 M3, 03 360 Modena

I've tried 2 previous A2DP devices in my '11 M3 and both sounded like total ass. One was the Cerulean iSkin, can't remember what the other was.

Both were much worse than a tape adapter.

Just ordered this setup. It's my final try before I give up on streaming audio over bluetooth. I'll report back once I get it.

Parker
Appreciate 0