BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

EXXEL Distributions

01-16-2012, 12:21 AM   #1
BMWM3RED
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 Coupe Red

Majic Oil

I have always done my own oil changes my whole life and all car maintenance. I used to do valve clearance changes on my Volkswagen Scirocco myself to maintain exact clearances as valve springs compress, and for people that dont know it required changing the discs between the cam lobes and the valves themselves using the thickness gauge to know what disc to change to.

I have always used Castrol GTX oil 20 50 in my vehicles as I thought it was the best. Now I see that BMW uses that oil, thank God, to use for oil changes. But, I have never seen 10w60 oil ever as it says in the manual(I know, I am finally looking at the manual) , has anyone ever seen that viscosity at a parts place, I never have. Is it some oil only available by a dealer???

M3Red
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 12:37 AM   #2
BMWM3RED
Private
Rep

Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM3RED View Post
I have always done my own oil changes my whole life and all car maintenance. I used to do valve clearance changes on my Volkswagen Scirocco myself to maintain exact clearances as valve springs compress, and for people that dont know it required changing the discs between the cam lobes and the valves themselves using the thickness gauge to know what disc to change to.

I have always used Castrol GTX oil 20 50 in my vehicles as I thought it was the best. Now I see that BMW uses that oil, thank God, to use for oil changes. But, I have never seen 10w60 oil ever as it says in the manual(I know, I am finally looking at the manual) , has anyone ever seen that viscosity at a parts place, I never have. Is it some oil only available by a dealer???

M3Red
I just found this stuff (10w60) for $11.95 a quart on the internet. I dont remember seeing this at AutoZone....maybe it is there. I will look the next time i go.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 06:24 AM   #3
elm3
///M Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3 IB/'17 f85 X5M LBB

Garage List
2017 BMW / X5M  [9.00]
2009 E92 M3  [10.00]
2004 Yamaha R1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM3RED View Post
I just found this stuff (10w60) for $11.95 a quart on the internet. I dont remember seeing this at AutoZone....maybe it is there. I will look the next time i go.
I don't think that you can find that particular oil in any store. I think that only the dealer or places that you can buy stuff for BMW, like Tischer BMW? I'm not aware of Auto Zone cross refferencing our oil with a regular Castrol that you can buy there.
'09 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue,6MT,Silver Novillo Leather,CF Trim,Premium Package,Technology Package,Cold Weather Package,Premium Sound,19"Wheels,Moonroof-Toy/'17 X5M, Long Beach Blue, Executive Package,Technology Package, Lighting Package, Driver Assist, Full Mughello Red Interior, 21" wheels-Toy/'14 535i with M Sport and 19" wheels-Daily
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 08:31 AM   #4
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

Why worry about changing your own oil at this point? You get that for free for 4 years unless you are planning to do oil changes in between intervals............Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 09:50 AM   #5
BMWM3RED
Private
Rep

Sure,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Ryder View Post
Why worry about changing your own oil at this point? You get that for free for 4 years unless you are planning to do oil changes in between intervals............Phil
Sure I do have 4 years, just wondering about something i have never heard of. I am a software engineer and wondering is what i do.

I will now ask the dealer what they are using and maybe let them show me to keep them honest. I have read some pretty nasty things about some dealers, but i think a lot of it is just nasty "nit pickin" customers.

M3Red
Appreciate 0