BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

02-12-2013, 10:30 AM   #45
s4awd
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 GT3RS, 08 E92 M3, 06 Evo IX

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmarq View Post
I know the feeling having owned two VIIIs, a IX MR, and a X GSR. Absolutely fun vehicles...
+1. I had a IX MR and VIII but felt the 5 speed of the VIII was much better than the 6 spd unit. I'm feel fortunate just to be able to experience these cars as well espeically living in the states. I have a prius and sadly, it is the future of transportation becuase as transportation, it can't be beat.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 10:30 AM   #46
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4awd View Post
+1. I had a IX MR and VIII but felt the 5 speed of the VIII was much better than the 6 spd unit. I'm feel fortunate just to be able to experience these cars as well espeically living in the states. I have a prius and sadly, it is the future of transportation becuase as transportation, it can't be beat.
The 5 speed was definitely better. The 6 speed had issues when you ran them at the track and broke down from the heat. I do think the 6 speed felt a bit slicker to shift but overall the 5 speed was more durable and solid. I had an Evo 8 and an Evo 10, both with 5 speed manual.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 09:32 AM   #47
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingMeister01 View Post
Mezger lives on. The 991 GT3 RSR carries the Mezger engine rather than the tweaked 9A1 in the new GT3. What does that say? Other than the infamous RMS leak, Mezger is bullet proof.

It's def an end of an era. Turbo M3 and GT3 w/ PDK and electric steering.
this is why there is something radical coming in 2014. instead of developing the 9A1 into the racing motor for the RSR they reused the old Mezger. They had plenty of time to do this already. $10 says Flat-8. 3.9L joint development with new Porsche FF (ferrari fighter). wheel base extension on 991 was necessary for this.

991 GT3 is not cup car in street clothes anymore. its a 991S without back seat.
RS is the civilized version of Cup. I still think they won't offer manual option on the new GT cars.
      02-16-2013, 09:42 AM   #48
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
You obviously know your stuff about Porsches and 911's (and own one, I'm jealous), but no way I'd ever trade a 997 GT3 for a 991S, even if it can keep up with the 997.
i didn't say i would trade a GT3 for a 991S. I said i would consider getting rid of RS and M3 for one street car 991S. The RS is fun track car but i rather go wheel to wheel racing. Racing in a dedicated competitive car instead of risking a street car on a track day is far more fun and challenging. RS looks great, drives great. i love driving it, but i'm at a point where its just not used much anymore. The only fun part for me is scaring passengers on fun laps.
      02-16-2013, 01:17 PM   #49
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by karussell View Post
this is why there is something radical coming in 2014. instead of developing the 9A1 into the racing motor for the RSR they reused the old Mezger. They had plenty of time to do this already. $10 says Flat-8. 3.9L joint development with new Porsche FF (ferrari fighter). wheel base extension on 991 was necessary for this.

991 GT3 is not cup car in street clothes anymore. its a 991S without back seat.
RS is the civilized version of Cup. I still think they won't offer manual option on the new GT cars.
Your comments on Porsche using the mezger, while developing a radical new series of engines makes so much sense and I hope your hypothesis is correct! My only reservation on your prediction, is that Porsche will want to keep the 911 at the top of thier model line (with the exception of halo car) and have always been very reluctant to make any sort of drastic revolution on the 911. The flat-8 Ferrari Fighter would be bananas! It'll definetly be an interesting next 5 - 10 years.
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0