BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

EXXEL Distributions

01-19-2012, 09:24 PM   #23
Poofyo101
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
1990 BMW M3  [0.00]
So no film is the general consensus. Ill think ill go with that also
Thanks fellas.
      01-19-2012, 09:37 PM   #24
Martin_D
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ford Super Duty

On AW I would save my money

-Martin
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 09:47 PM   #25
BarryC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_D View Post
On AW I would save my money

-Martin
For some mods!!
      01-19-2012, 10:13 PM   #26
Martin_D
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryC View Post
For some mods!!
That is it, mod rehab!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 03:37 AM   #27
jai5w4
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 M3 ZCP, 02 540i M Sport

How about Melbourne Red and Jet Black. Is it recommended? I had all kinds of chips/pits on my old '04 M3 (Imola Red). I'm looking at getting a new M3 in a couple months, and seriously considering those two colors with a clear bra.

Is the recommendation if one DOES get a bra, it should be changed out on a regular interval, like motor oil? Or just when it eventually (or never) breaks down?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 06:02 AM   #28
pro-tect mobile
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Jeep SRT-8

A clear bra will last you a long time if you maintain it as you do your paint. I have seen cars with it on 6-7 years and it still looked as good as the day it was installed. I have had mine on for almost 5 years now and at 150,000 miles I only have one spot in it.... where are car backed into me and scuffed the bumper slightly. Other than that it still looks new. And no paint chips either...
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 06:06 AM   #29
pro-tect mobile
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_D View Post
Send me a sample of the same stuff that I use that you listed. I will put it on my car with photos, and pull it off in a year. If it does not yellow, I will send you a check for $1,000.
I missed this. PM me your address and I will be happy to. I doubt I will see that $1,000 though... or hear from you in a year.

By the way what all of you guys are missing here is IF it does yellow it is covered under warranty. In the 10 years I have been installing film I have had ZERO warranty issues but I do inform my clients how to properly install film as well as give them a bottle of sealant. So maybe you are using the wrong products...
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 06:54 AM   #30
jai5w4
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 M3 ZCP, 02 540i M Sport

So of the top 3 companies making clear bras out there, what's the best? Your preference? Why?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 06:17 PM   #31
pro-tect mobile
Private
Rep

Avery Nano Fusion. Xpel Ultimate, and I like VentureShield Ultra. But there is another film out there made in Japan by a company called Prestige. I have used it and it looks like a great film.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 09:37 PM   #32
Martin_D
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro-tect mobile View Post
I missed this. PM me your address and I will be happy to. I doubt I will see that $1,000 though... or hear from you in a year.

By the way what all of you guys are missing here is IF it does yellow it is covered under warranty. In the 10 years I have been installing film I have had ZERO warranty issues but I do inform my clients how to properly install film as well as give them a bottle of sealant. So maybe you are using the wrong products...
I will be here in a year. I am not trying to argue, just stating my experiences.

-Martin
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 07:26 AM   #33
pro-tect mobile
Private
Rep

I understand Martin. Thats why I am posting mine. There are many people out there that have limited experiences with paint protection film. I have ran across people saying that they have seen it once and that is what they base their opinions off of. Well thats like saying you sawa a car once so all cars ar the same. It isnt an accurate observation of the product. Films are constantly being improved and intalations are getting better. There are also lines of products out specifically designed to maintain the film. So all I am saying is open your mind up a little and understand that just because you have some experience with the product doesnt mean you know everything there is to know about it. I have been installing film for almost 10 years now and I wont even pretend to know everything about the industry. It is continually changing and getting better with improved film technology out there. A few weeks ago I got my hands on the new Xpel Ultimate film. I had seen numerous promotional videos about it and thought "this is too good to be true" so I had to test it out myself. Well you can spray paint it (and let it dry) and it wipes right off with IPA, you can write on it with a permanent marker and it doesnt stain, and you can scratch it and it self heals. Now if the scratch is deeper than the half mil topcoat it wont self heal, but most scratches do not go that deep... so its a good product. Bottom line is I would have never beleived it until I saw it myself. And there is nothing to say that tomorrow and even better film will be released. So I leave my mind open to new things knowing that you cant possibly know everything there is about an industry or product. All I can say for sure is if you drive your car you WILL get paint chips whic hare very visible... and this is the only solution to stop it. I also know I have not had any unhappy customers in nearly 10years and not one single warranty claim. So something must be working.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 08:34 AM   #34
LTJohn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche GT3

Just got my car done in VentureShield. I had the same product on my porsche for 3 years and it still looked great. I had a scuff where I hit a cardboard box, but it saved the paint underneath. With that install, I have everything covered forward of the windshield, and no one noticed that it was on. Only a a very trained eye noticed the film. It did get a sap stain in one small dot, the size of a pencil eraser, but you could only see it in certain lights.

On my M3, I did the "extended" hood and bumper, sills, and rear wheel arches/bumper. I paid $900 or so to a Mobile installer.

If you are looking for a great guy in NJ, Call Reno at Armortec. He comes to your house..spends the day in you garage, and unveils the result before sundown! He drove 2+ hours to get to me and I paid $50 bucks for him to drive here. Can't beat that.
Appreciate 0