BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

06-23-2010, 02:49 PM   #1
richardg
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: MacanGTS, 991.2GT3, E63wagon

Exhaust questions

I have been doing some research and I am having trouble finding the answers to a few things. I am trying to put together a exhaust setup that I like and I finally think I have found something that I like (AA sig exhaust, connecting pipes, and catless x-pipe) Now I am sure most will not pass inspection (Michigan doesn't have that problem) BUT what I was curious was if x-pipes without cats throw an error code/CEL. Also as for the o2 sensors what happens to those little wires. Do they still hang around or get tied off somehow or do most aftermarket pipes have the hole for them. Also as for software I noticed many individuals have software with their exhaust setups. Is this a necessity for those with no cats? This is probably very elementary but please bare with me, I am new to engine modification.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 03:36 PM   #2
ryan@ActiveAutowerke
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

With the Active Autowerke Signature Exhaust System there is no need for hanging 02 sensor wires because the high flow cats have a hole for them to go. There won't be a CEL light because we take care of the sensors through software tuning. This set up will not only add aesthetically but will give you a notable power increase (hp and torque). With software included this set up has given members an average of 28 rwhp depending on atmospheric conditions
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 03:40 PM   #3
richardg
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan@ActiveAutowerke View Post
With the Active Autowerke Signature Exhaust System there is no need for hanging 02 sensor wires because the high flow cats have a hole for them to go. There won't be a CEL light because we take care of the sensors through software tuning. This set up will not only add aesthetically but will give you a notable power increase (hp and torque). With software included this set up has given members an average of 28 rwhp depending on atmospheric conditions
so basically the software is what clears up the CEL. ok so how does BMW deal with all of this. I would assume this would void warranty?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 04:20 PM   #4
MNm3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Le Mans Blue e90 M3

It depends on your dealer. If you have a good relationship with them, often they will "look the other way" with regular warrenty stuff unless you have a catostrophic thing happen which would require say a new engine. My old 3 series had a bunch of work done, exhaust, chip, intake, etc and they still honored my warranty with the usual maintenance.
      06-23-2010, 04:33 PM   #5
ryan@ActiveAutowerke
Lieutenant
Rep

Active

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardg View Post
so basically the software is what clears up the CEL. ok so how does BMW deal with all of this. I would assume this would void warranty?
Depends on the dealership and the service adviser. But if your concerned about the warranty I would just get the Xpipe and exhaust and keep your stock catalytic converters intact. With this setup it won't be as free flowing but you will still have your warranty.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 05:14 PM   #6
M II
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I have been doing some research and I am having trouble finding the answers to a few things. I am trying to put together a exhaust setup that I like and I finally think I have found something that I like (AA sig exhaust, connecting pipes, and catless x-pipe) Now I am sure most will not pass inspection (Michigan doesn't have that problem) BUT what I was curious was if x-pipes without cats throw an error code/CEL. Also as for the o2 sensors what happens to those little wires. Do they still hang around or get tied off somehow or do most aftermarket pipes have the hole for them. Also as for software I noticed many individuals have software with their exhaust setups. Is this a necessity for those with no cats? This is probably very elementary but please bare with me, I am new to engine modification.
With a catless setup, you'll need a tune to get rid of the "increased emissions" check engine light. A lot of states require that the CEL be off during emissions testing to pass.

The Active Autowerke Signature Exhaust System paired with a nice X-Pipe and HFC upgrades sounds absolutely wicked!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 09:01 AM   #7
richardg
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan@ActiveAutowerke View Post
Depends on the dealership and the service adviser. But if your concerned about the warranty I would just get the Xpipe and exhaust and keep your stock catalytic converters intact. With this setup it won't be as free flowing but you will still have your warranty.
to be honest I thought the X-pipe and cats were a single unit that went together. i did not know I could purchase the x-pipe by themselves. so if i went with this kind of setup i sholdn't need a dme flash at all. Though i would imagine this route would need cutting of something stock (which is fine by me)
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 04:05 PM   #8
ryan@ActiveAutowerke
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
to be honest I thought the X-pipe and cats were a single unit that went together. i did not know I could purchase the x-pipe by themselves. so if i went with this kind of setup i sholdn't need a dme flash at all. Though i would imagine this route would need cutting of something stock (which is fine by me)
Yes you would have to cut and weld on stubbie pipes to the catalytic converter and then attach the x pipe. This would eliminate any emissions problem that may occur but you will still get a power increase. PM for special pricing.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 11:50 AM   #9
richardg
Major
Canada
Rep

Ok so I have been doing some research and this appears to be somewhat plug and play. I am hoping I wouldn't have to flash my oem software using this. I see this says I will not have check engine lights but i am unaware as to what readiness codes are. Do readiness codes throw an error in idrive or is this something that the dealer would end up seeing only. ultimately I guess what I am saying is that I want a full aa system catless but I don't want any lights on my dash or the car acting weird and most importantly I will not flash the dme as long as the car is under warranty. I am hoping this product would achieve that.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...DUCT_ID=P-DEL1

Last edited by richardg; 07-22-2010 at 12:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 11:58 AM   #10
M II
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Ok so I have been doing some research and this appears to be somewhat plug and play. I am hoping I wouldn't have to flash my oem software using this. I see this says I will not have check engine lights but i am unaware as to what readiness codes are. Do readiness codes through an error in idrive or is this something that the dealer would end up seeing only. ultimately I guess what I am saying is that I want a full aa system catless but I don't want any lights on my dash or the car acting weird and most importantly I will not flash the dme as long as the car is under warranty. I am hoping this product would achieve that.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...DUCT_ID=P-DEL1
That product pretty much just gets rid of the CEL on the M3s, but it only masks it.

Do you have an E9X M3? I see in your info that it says E36 M3?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 12:01 PM   #11
richardg
Major
Canada
Rep

It's actually my fathers car but I drive it more than he does. I have a e36m though. He says it is too much for his clients so he has a lexus for his daily grind. I will most likely purchase the vehicle off of him soon in the near future. I am just taking a list of things I would like to complete.

Last edited by richardg; 07-22-2010 at 12:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 12:04 PM   #12
richardg
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by **********s II View Post
That product pretty much just gets rid of the CEL on the M3s, but it only masks it.

Do you have an E9X M3? I see in your info that it says E36 M3?
when you say masks the problem does that mean the car is still going to attempt to right the air/fuel mixture just without the light on the dash. Or do you mean that it makes the car think there is no problem so it doesn't adjust fuel.
Appreciate 0