BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Acute Performance
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-27-2013, 07:04 PM   #1
paradocs98
Major
 
paradocs98's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 991 Carrera S
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NY

Posts: 1,342
iTrader: (0)

Dealer service aggressive upsell

I've been fairly happy with the dealer I've used for the last 10 years and 4 cars. Recently, though, I feel like their service department is on an aggressive upsell mission:
  • I brought my wife's 328i in for a front-end vibration issue. Dealer diagnosed three out of the four wheels as very slightly bent, likely due to the horrible road conditions here in the Northeast lately. They recommended wheel straightening at $150 a piece, plus a four wheel alignment since "it's probably out of alignment since it hit impacts hard enough to bend the wheels." $450 for reparing 3 wheels, plus $295! for an alignment. $800+ with tax total.
    Aside from the outrageously priced alignment, what else was wrong with this suggested service? The damaged wheels on the car were, very obviously, not OEM. They were cheapo Rial Salerno winter alloys from Tire Rack, $139 a piece new. $150 to straighten a $139 wheel? No thanks.
  • I brought my car in today for an in-between/out-of-pocket oil and filter change. The SA's suggestion: "We're also recommending an induction system cleaning on M cars and 335s/535s with your mileage (around 23,000) to clean up the injectors and valves." $195. I told him I'd pass for now and think about it. I'm strict about using only Shell, or Sunoco in a pinch, so hopefully my valves aren't that gunked up already. I went to their parts dept instead and bought a $13 bottle of BMW/Techron fuel system cleaner.
  • As I was sitting in the service area today, the SA speaking to the lady next to me was trying to sell her on a four-wheel alignment, tire rotation and balancing for $400. She was there for an unrelated issue.

Is this just an aberration, or are other people noticing it more often as well?
__________________
IB E90 M3 ZCP returned to BMW FS
paradocs98 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-27-2013, 07:11 PM   #2
tpowerdinny
Specialist
 
Drives: A Tricycle
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NYC

Posts: 613
iTrader: (4)

Holy price gouging. Poor lady doesn't know what's hitting her
tpowerdinny is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-27-2013, 07:26 PM   #3
dreamspeed
Captain
 
dreamspeed's Avatar
 
Drives: 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 927
iTrader: (0)

Do they actually do anything else besides pour in the fuel injector clean up for that 195 dollars?
__________________
dreamspeed is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-27-2013, 07:28 PM   #4
WingZeroX5
Major
 
WingZeroX5's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New Hampshire

Posts: 1,110
iTrader: (9)

1) $150 to straighten a wheel is about right, a little high but not bad for a dealer (Assuming the 328 are on stock 16's) Doesn't really matter if you have cheap rims or not.

2) $294 for an alignment is just plain robbing you

Also, highly doubt your valves are dirty, esp when you're using top tier gas like Shell. Next time grab the techron at walmart, it's like 10 bucks and treats up to 20 gallons, not the regular 12 gallon
__________________
WingZeroX5 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-27-2013, 09:21 PM   #5
radiofrequency
Field Marshall
 
radiofrequency's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP + 2014 535d xDrive
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Utah

Posts: 164
iTrader: (0)

A friend of mine needed a head gasket replacement on an E46 330i. He had a reputable independent shop perform the repair. He called me from the shop and told me to come and look "inside his motor". When I arrived I was led into the service bay by the shop owner, a really good gut who, at the time,took care of all of my vehicles, German and Japanese. I was blown away when I saw just how carbon free and clean my friends valve train was, and this with 80% city driving. My point being, and I will be kind here, it sounds as if the SA, in this instance, is full of it. I am fortunate to have an honest SA, this said, educate yourself. My girlfriend has the same bullshit pulled on her at the Ford dealer on her almost brand new F150. I was polite to the SA, and removed the keys from his hand prior to telling him that he was full of defecant (not a real word). Had she gone in alone she would have been bent over. It pays to educate yourself, and, perhaps, call around for quotes. WTF is a dealer doing an alignment - I take my cars to the local tire guy and pay $59.99 for a 4 wheel alignment on his Hunter 9000!
radiofrequency is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-27-2013, 09:23 PM   #6
SubzeroVR4
Second Lieutenant
 
SubzeroVR4's Avatar
 
Drives: Infiniti FX35
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Dayton, Ohio

Posts: 208
iTrader: (0)

This is my first BMW but after a year of ownership I got that vibe as well. I also paid $250 for alignment but I was told the higher price was because my car has active steering. I also had a slight vibration and was told my rear wheels were bent and it would cost $1,000. I replaced them for about $500 from another company. I notice they don't try and sell me things that car covered under the maintenance plan.
SubzeroVR4 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-27-2013, 09:28 PM   #7
rondocap
Lieutenant
 
rondocap's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i Sedan
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NY/NJ

Posts: 597
iTrader: (1)

When I had my Mercedes, I brought it to the dealer in white plains. I had it there for an engine mount.

Service rep told me that the mechanic recommends to change out my air filter, which he said was very dirty. This was amongst numerous recommended items.

I then informed the advisor that I had just put in, myself, a brand new air filter 3 days before.


What a ripoff! After that, I never took my car again to a dealer, especially that one, for out of warranty work.
rondocap is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-27-2013, 09:39 PM   #8
M3Now!
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 09 E93, Jerez Black
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Texas

Posts: 372
iTrader: (0)

Happily, not my experience. My dealer is about 10% higher than independent shops, but other than one screw up (washing my car after being told never to do so, and putting swirls in the paint - which they paid to fix) they've been great. I'll buy from them again.

Cheers
__________________


2009 E93 M3 - it's, um, pretty fun
M3Now! is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-27-2013, 09:40 PM   #9
vzm3
Member
 
vzm3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Miami

Posts: 227
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lute View Post
Dealer ripping folks off?

Well I'm shocked.
+1
vzm3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-28-2013, 08:11 AM   #10
05Mdriver
Lieutenant Colonel
 
05Mdriver's Avatar
 
Drives: 414hp Sedan
Join Date: May 2010
Location: pa

Posts: 1,531
iTrader: (49)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
2005 BMW M3  [5.00]
I brought my daily driver truck in, tech drove it from the parking spot to the bay, back to the parking spot. about 45 feet total.

They give me the bill for the oil, and stated that the tech said it needed a new clutch asap. The clutch grabs like a champ.. and still does to this day (over a year later). Redic.
__________________
05Mdriver is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-28-2013, 11:53 AM   #11
cohenfive
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 e92 m3 space grey dct
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: sf bay area

Posts: 250
iTrader: (0)

I like the service at my local BMW dealer, but the past couple of years have definitely seen an uptick in upselling. Every time I have been in there past 11k miles they try to get me to swing for the injector cleaning ($250) and a wheel alignment even though there are zero signs that anything is out. I just pass, and I guess I should buy some of the fuel system cleaner as well.
__________________
2011 e92 m3 space grey, dct, tech, prem, etc
specialized carbon stumpjumper s works fsr
trek madone 5.2
nikon d4, 14-24, 24-70, 70-200, 500vr
cohenfive is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-28-2013, 12:53 PM   #12
CSBM5
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 M3, 2001 M5, etc
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Raleigh, NC

Posts: 343
iTrader: (0)

Our E90 330i we've had since new recently had the intake manifold off of it to replace the starter (starter was getting weak, so I did PM replacement). The intake valves looked almost brand new. It was shocking how clean they were. You can't quite see the valve tops in this picture, but there was essentially nothing on them. I'm sure that dealer would say I was long long overdue for their multi-hundred dollar cleaning. The 330i had 114k miles on it when this picture was taken.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Current Stable:
2011.5 M3 sedan 6MT, Silverstone, no sunroof
2001 M5 LeMans Blue/Silverstone
2006 330i 6MT Red/black, ZSP, Nav, etc.
2001 Audi S4 6MT; 1996 Volvo 850R wagon
CSBM5 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-28-2013, 01:02 PM   #13
mdosu
Banned
 
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 8,517
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
Our E90 330i we've had since new recently had the intake manifold off of it to replace the starter (starter was getting weak, so I did PM replacement). The intake valves looked almost brand new. It was shocking how clean they were. You can't quite see the valve tops in this picture, but there was essentially nothing on them. I'm sure that dealer would say I was long long overdue for their multi-hundred dollar cleaning. The 330i had 114k miles on it when this picture was taken.
yeah, not surprised as long as you use top tier gasoline. My M3 had a strict diet of Shell V Power and BP Ultimate...I will not need to clean the injectors or valves until well have 100k.


My dealer NEVER upsells me. They're also one of the busier shops around, so they won't even have time to do any of the suggested work...lol
mdosu is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      03-28-2013, 01:06 PM   #14
mdosu
Banned
 
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 8,517
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondocap View Post
When I had my Mercedes, I brought it to the dealer in white plains. I had it there for an engine mount.

Service rep told me that the mechanic recommends to change out my air filter, which he said was very dirty. This was amongst numerous recommended items.

I then informed the advisor that I had just put in, myself, a brand new air filter 3 days before.


What a ripoff! After that, I never took my car again to a dealer, especially that one, for out of warranty work.
, you should have asked them to pop it open and show you, then they'll show you your brand new spank white filter.
mdosu is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      03-28-2013, 01:34 PM   #15
paradocs98
Major
 
paradocs98's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 991 Carrera S
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NY

Posts: 1,342
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiofrequency View Post
A friend of mine needed a head gasket replacement on an E46 330i. He had a reputable independent shop perform the repair. He called me from the shop and told me to come and look "inside his motor". When I arrived I was led into the service bay by the shop owner, a really good gut who, at the time,took care of all of my vehicles, German and Japanese. I was blown away when I saw just how carbon free and clean my friends valve train was, and this with 80% city driving. My point being, and I will be kind here, it sounds as if the SA, in this instance, is full of it. I am fortunate to have an honest SA, this said, educate yourself. My girlfriend has the same bullshit pulled on her at the Ford dealer on her almost brand new F150. I was polite to the SA, and removed the keys from his hand prior to telling him that he was full of defecant (not a real word). Had she gone in alone she would have been bent over. It pays to educate yourself, and, perhaps, call around for quotes. WTF is a dealer doing an alignment - I take my cars to the local tire guy and pay $59.99 for a 4 wheel alignment on his Hunter 9000!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
Our E90 330i we've had since new recently had the intake manifold off of it to replace the starter (starter was getting weak, so I did PM replacement). The intake valves looked almost brand new. It was shocking how clean they were. You can't quite see the valve tops in this picture, but there was essentially nothing on them. I'm sure that dealer would say I was long long overdue for their multi-hundred dollar cleaning. The 330i had 114k miles on it when this picture was taken.
This pretty much says it all.
__________________
IB E90 M3 ZCP returned to BMW FS
paradocs98 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-28-2013, 01:34 PM   #16
White 13
Private First Class
 
Drives: A 2013 Alpine White E92
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: N Cal

Posts: 105
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
yeah, not surprised as long as you use top tier gasoline. My M3 had a strict diet of Shell V Power and BP Ultimate...I will not need to clean the injectors or valves until well have 100k.


My dealer NEVER upsells me. They're also one of the busier shops around, so they won't even have time to do any of the suggested work...lol
What shop do you use?

Thanks.
White 13 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-28-2013, 01:38 PM   #17
mdosu
Banned
 
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 8,517
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by White 13 View Post
What shop do you use?

Thanks.
BMW dealer, BMW of Alexandria. They're super busy. I drop my car off at 8 AM Fridays for oil change and winter tire swap, it'll take them the entire 8 hours to finish the work. Only once have they actually finished before 4 pm.
mdosu is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      03-28-2013, 02:05 PM   #18
anselmw
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2001 M Coupe, 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Long Island, NY

Posts: 206
iTrader: (0)

I just got the intake manifold and injector upsell today and my car only has 12K miles on it...
__________________
2011 E90 M3
2001 M Coupe
2010 Audi Q5 S Line
anselmw is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-28-2013, 02:28 PM   #19
meez
Sloppy Seconds Connoisseur
 
meez's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 DY E90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SoCal

Posts: 465
iTrader: (5)

These prices for maintenance are what my dealer charges as well.

They want $300 for alignments.
They want $300 for oil changes.
The most ridiculous? They saw my wheels were bent and wanted 1600$ for two wheels. I took it to a local wheel repair shop and had them fixed for 100$.


You bought a BMW, not a Honda. Deal with it.

meez is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-28-2013, 05:17 PM   #20
paradocs98
Major
 
paradocs98's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 991 Carrera S
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NY

Posts: 1,342
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by meez View Post
These prices for maintenance are what my dealer charges as well.

They want $300 for alignments.
They want $300 for oil changes.
The most ridiculous? They saw my wheels were bent and wanted 1600$ for two wheels. I took it to a local wheel repair shop and had them fixed for 100$.


You bought a BMW, not a Honda. Deal with it.

No, I won't "Deal with it." There should be a certain level of respect for customers who have leased 6 cars from the same dealer over a 10-year period.

It's an insult to my intelligence, and that of the rest of their customers.

I expect a BMW to be more expensive than a Honda when it comes to maintenance, because the parts are more expensive, the labor rate is more expensive, it costs more to train the techs, etc. But I do not expect my BMW dealer to try to hustle me with needless "service." That's petty and low-class. This isn't a strip-mall used-car lot.
__________________
IB E90 M3 ZCP returned to BMW FS
paradocs98 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-28-2013, 07:16 PM   #21
SubzeroVR4
Second Lieutenant
 
SubzeroVR4's Avatar
 
Drives: Infiniti FX35
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Dayton, Ohio

Posts: 208
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradocs98 View Post
No, I won't "Deal with it." There should be a certain level of respect for customers who have leased 6 cars from the same dealer over a 10-year period.

It's an insult to my intelligence, and that of the rest of their customers.

I expect a BMW to be more expensive than a Honda when it comes to maintenance, because the parts are more expensive, the labor rate is more expensive, it costs more to train the techs, etc. But I do not expect my BMW dealer to try to hustle me with needless "service." That's petty and low-class. This isn't a strip-mall used-car lot.
I agree. I never got this kind of treatment at a Lexus dealership. I was there for regular oil changes/tire rotations and only recommended maintenance they'd offer ask about but I never felt pressured.
SubzeroVR4 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-28-2013, 08:27 PM   #22
hgmjbkfm
New Member
 
Drives: audi
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: poi

Posts: 6
iTrader: (0)

I was blown away when I saw just how carbon free and clean my friends valve train was
__________________
hgmjbkfm is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:16 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST