BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

EXXEL Distributions

04-09-2009, 05:34 PM   #1
M3_LIN
LM-R Whore.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 White M3 Sedan

2009 E9X Hard Drive Swap?

Hey guys,

Had an interesting idea today. I wanted to know if its possible to swamp out the HD in the M currently with a SSD(Solid state drive).

This would allow the navigation to load alot faster. Navigation loads up pretty slow for me and the address book for the navigation loads up even slower.

Anyone thought about this or did any research on it so far?

Is the HD SATA or PATA? Anyone know if i get the SSD if i can just clone the existing drive in the M and put that software in the SSD?

ANy thoughts or anything?

Ed Lin

09AWE90M: Light headlight tint, Full front end clear bra wrap(Harris@InstyleGraphics), Ceramic tint(40%), Piaa GTX H3 bulb, HID 8k AE, 6k Low, INT Luxer1 lights, RD springs, LMR 20X9 +8, 20X10 +18 (Dave @ Status), Vertice CF hood Ducts(Dat @ VertexUSA), Tecnocraft FULL Envy Intake system+plenum(KEVLAR)+cabin filter covers, Meister GTC exhaust, Arkym F LIP.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2009, 05:45 PM   #2
RemovedUser
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Good idea, im pretty sure is SATA, but you never know look on realoem.com
Should work if you clone the drive exactly.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2009, 12:19 PM   #3
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

I don't think the '09 parts are up on realoem yet. Theoretically, replacing the drive with an SSD would work and would be a pretty good upgrade, IMO. Don't expect huge speed-ups unless you use one of the very latest SSD products. The previous generation didn't live up to the promises of the technology. The new ones are starting to get there. I see SSD as being the standard in a few years. Of course, BMW won't be using them until the next thing comes along and SSD drives are old hat.

I haven't heard of anyone replacing the drive in the '09 BMWs yet. Love to see if this can be done. Good luck.
      04-12-2009, 05:59 PM   #4
M3_LIN
LM-R Whore.
United_States
Rep

Thanks ersin. I am going to do more research on it and possibly try it. Thanks for the advise on the SSDs

Ed Lin

09AWE90M: Light headlight tint, Full front end clear bra wrap(Harris@InstyleGraphics), Ceramic tint(40%), Piaa GTX H3 bulb, HID 8k AE, 6k Low, INT Luxer1 lights, RD springs, LMR 20X9 +8, 20X10 +18 (Dave @ Status), Vertice CF hood Ducts(Dat @ VertexUSA), Tecnocraft FULL Envy Intake system+plenum(KEVLAR)+cabin filter covers, Meister GTC exhaust, Arkym F LIP.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2009, 06:48 PM   #5
Fanta
C
Canada
Rep
Drives: 740iL, M3, Carrera

Disk Cloning may be a problem, unless you know OS.
Since BMW Nav. is an embed system, OS is not a publish one.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 03:11 PM   #6
M3_LIN
LM-R Whore.
United_States
Rep

hrmm, will do some research and ask my mechanic as well as other bmw contacts that i have. Will keep you guys updated

Ed Lin

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2009, 06:47 AM   #7
Gelsenpower
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: M3 E93 DCT AW

this document might be interesting for you...
Attached Images
File Type: pdf E90 CIC Info.pdf (2.13 MB, 308 views)
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2009, 03:19 AM   #8
rhino64
Registered
Rep
Drives: dreams

Something like this *should* be possible as long as you are doing a bit for bit copy. At that point you are not doing any kind copying of files or directories but raw data. The best tool I know for for this sort of thing is dd which is found on almost any Linux OS. I think Linux is going to be an ideal tool for you here as generally speaking Linux has far more support for different types of files and file systems.

That said I have never tried a this my self so do so at your own risk. I would also say that dd can be a VERY dangerous tool if used incorrectly so read the documentation VERY carefully. If you are not careful you can write the contents of a new blank disk over the only copy of data.

Then you have to consider fit. While I can only assume that the drive BMW elected to use is of a standard size you could find your self surprised. I would pull the disk out of the car and learn as much as I could about it before spending my hard earned money on a disk that could be the wrong part.

The more interesting questions are how the storage works and how BMW feels about people doing this sort of thing (People tend to get butt hurt when you copy their closed source software). Based on the documentation posted earlier in this thread it looks like the system uses disk partitions to to know what data is where so one could possibly buy a SSD that is say 120 gigs and expand what would be normally be 8gigs reserved for media to 48 gigs.

All and all I would say that you are taking a gamble to the tune some where between 200 and 300 dollars depending on which drive you go with. One way another a lot of people here could benefit from your efforts so make sure and keep us updated with how it goes.
Appreciate 0