BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

European Auto Source (EAS)

12-03-2010, 05:11 PM   #67
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyd1961 View Post
i dont think "following" is the proper term. because the mustang is more affordable it generates more interest however when people, all ages, go by my car (especially the youngsters) they are in awe looking at the car whereas the majority dont even look at the mustang even though they have a much greater chance of being behing the wheel of a mustang.
dont get me wrong i like the mustang but i was always a corvette person until i suffered in the 1984 vette. M3 is a Rocket solid as a ROck that seats 5 . i love it
The most attention by far that I ever recieved in a car was in a Shelby GTH (Hertz Rent-A-Car) that I rented in 2007. We were staying at the Ritz Carlton Beach Club in Naples Florida and there was someone else staying there who had rented one. The valets always parked the two of them next to each other in frnt of the main entrance and there was always a crowd gathered around them. Other cars parked there incuded Bentleys, Ferraris, Astons, etc. but it was the Shelbys that attracted the most attention.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England

Last edited by captainaudio; 12-03-2010 at 06:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 05:19 PM   #68
The_BatBoy_187
Private
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 DCT

Man why get a GT500...the ///M3 offers you something NO car will/can have: This forum.

IMO the Mustang is the best American sports car out there - maybe not the FASTEST, but they do the job...however I don't see this an upgrade IMHO. I am not BMW biased nor Ford hater, but the ///M3 is just better than any Ford honestly....I haven't driven the GT500 but I drove a regular '11 Mustang, and it was pretty nice...Now I can't say the same bout the GT500 as i haven't drove one...and I really believe it's stupid to base your prefrences/buys on magazine reviews...I just don't trust them......however, i repeat: The Forum look at our BMW civil wars we got here...epic shit man

EDIT: However, if it were up to me, I'd keep it...probably first and last V8 M3.

Last edited by The_BatBoy_187; 12-03-2010 at 05:22 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 07:22 PM   #69
SnakeKiller
Private
Rep
Drives: Ford F150

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyd1961 View Post
i dont think "following" is the proper term. because the mustang is more affordable it generates more interest however when people, all ages, go by my car (especially the youngsters) they are in awe looking at the car whereas the majority dont even look at the mustang even though they have a much greater chance of being behing the wheel of a mustang.
dont get me wrong i like the mustang but i was always a corvette person until i suffered in the 1984 vette. M3 is a Rocket solid as a ROck that seats 5 . i love it
i agree the mustang does have mass appeal because of its price-tag but i does not mean everyone is a "follower". just look at the performance market side of the mustang, its arguably bar-none the biggest performance market in the states. The M3 will totally benefit from this new found competition, everyone is gunning for its spot.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 12:32 AM   #70
Herms
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

the new mustang is nice. you should drive it and see how it feels. I drove it and it felt a bit clumsy and I felt I was driving a big car. Never felt that way in an M3. Engine is amazing tho. All in all a great car. I think the Kona Blue looks the best.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 01:24 AM   #71
Scoobe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan SSII/SN/DCT

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [10.00]
I own both, drive the GT500 on nice days when I don't have to pick up the kid. Mine is an 08 vert so its probably one of the crappiest handling GT500's you could buy, but I didn't buy it to track it. It rides nice, handles good enough for the road. My only complaint is traction, something thats addressed in the 2011 model.

It doesn't feel as tight as the M3, nor would I expect it to. It's raw brute power thats just a kick in the pants to drive. My M3 is the daily driver, kid seat in the back, and I can't think of a more perfect car for that. The Shelby is my fun car, driving out on my own, top down, ford racing exhaust blaring and a shaker 1000 to blast tunes. I get the best of both worlds really.

This isn't to say I don't like the feel of the Shelby. My family is into old cars, my brother has a 69 Camaro SS 350 vert, and my old man has a 59 Thunderbird with the factory optional 430ci. The Shelby just captures that modern muscle car feel that's unrefined, simplistic, and snap your neck powerful.

Sometimes I chuckle at some of the M3 owners on this board that idolize a stripped down M3. If simplistic performance is what your after, the M3 is the wrong choice. For the money, the GT500 fits that "feel" bill far better, and its one of the best 6 speeds I've ever driven, especially after I dropped in a Shelby short throw shifter which I think is part of the comp package for the 2011.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 01:51 AM   #72
mrad01
First Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E90 M3

BOOM!!!

Yank junk.

1990 BMW e30 325i 5MT
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 09:13 AM   #73
Cabinetman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 GMC Sierra

I have a 2011 GT500 and have had an E90 M3...

And I think it really comes down to what you want. The GT500 is pretty nice by Mustang standards, but not on the same level as the M3. To be honest, I'm looking forward to getting out of the GT500 in the near future.

My biggest issue with the Mustang is lack of traction. The car makes crazy power throughout the rev range, but you can't put it to the ground. You really have to modulate the throttle carefully through both first and second gear to maintain traction. If you like melting tires the GT500 is very good at that.

There is another issue with the GT500 that appears to be fairly common and that is a grinding when shifting quickly from first to second. I have encounter this problem on more than one occasion. Once I was totally locked out of second until the revs got below 3000.

The GT500 is a nice pony car. i don't want to take anything away from that. It is just night and day different from the M3. I have discovered I'm more of an M3 guy than a muscle car guy. I don't regret owning the GT500, but I am working hard to get into something more my style like another Nissan GT-R or maybe even another M3.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the 2011 GT500. Mine is torch red with almost all the options including the SVT Performance Package and Nav. The only thing I my car doesn't have is the glass roof.

Last edited by Cabinetman; 12-04-2010 at 09:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 11:17 AM   #74
V1.47fan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: TheArtist formerly known as M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
The most attention by far that I ever recieved in a car was in a Shelby GTH (Hertz Rent-A-Car) that I rented in 2007. We were staying at the Ritz Carlton Beach Club in Naples Florida and there was someone else staying there who had rented one. The valets always parked the two of them next to each other in frnt of the main entrance and there was always a crowd gathered around them. Other cars parked there incuded Bentleys, Ferraris, Astons, etc. but it was the Shelbys that attracted the most attention.

CA
If you were in Alabama,the new Camaro SS,would probably receive the most attention,in San Fransisco maybe a lime green VW beetle would attract the most attention.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 12:42 PM   #75
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabinetman View Post
And I think it really comes down to what you want. The GT500 is pretty nice by Mustang standards, but not on the same level as the M3. To be honest, I'm looking forward to getting out of the GT500 in the near future.

My biggest issue with the Mustang is lack of traction. The car makes crazy power throughout the rev range, but you can't put it to the ground. You really have to modulate the throttle carefully through both first and second gear to maintain traction. If you like melting tires the GT500 is very good at that.

There is another issue with the GT500 that appears to be fairly common and that is a grinding when shifting quickly from first to second. I have encounter this problem on more than one occasion. Once I was totally locked out of second until the revs got below 3000.

The GT500 is a nice pony car. i don't want to take anything away from that. It is just night and day different from the M3. I have discovered I'm more of an M3 guy than a muscle car guy. I don't regret owning the GT500, but I am working hard to get into something more my style like another Nissan GT-R or maybe even another M3.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the 2011 GT500. Mine is torch red with almost all the options including the SVT Performance Package and Nav. The only thing I my car doesn't have is the glass roof.
The 1st to 2nd grind is just as a problem on the M3. Mine does it all the time. Do a search on 1st to 2nd grind.

Also o the GT500, add Lower control arms and a torque bar and you will have less traction issues.

I guess you can say this about any car, but put $3K worth of suspension work on the GT500 and it resolve your issues. Look into Griggs SS kit.

Griggs SS rear suspension kit is raping Ferraris, Lambos, Corvettes, etc. in the twisties
13' Audi TTRS (APR stage 1, MSS springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 05:45 PM   #76
SnakeKiller
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
The 1st to 2nd grind is just as a problem on the M3. Mine does it all the time. Do a search on 1st to 2nd grind.

Also o the GT500, add Lower control arms and a torque bar and you will have less traction issues.

I guess you can say this about any car, but put $3K worth of suspension work on the GT500 and it resolve your issues. Look into Griggs SS kit.

Griggs SS rear suspension kit is raping Ferraris, Lambos, Corvettes, etc. in the twisties
Griggs suspension is awesome, but somewhat expensive. its great their suspension can be upgraded like a stage thing.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 08:11 PM   #77
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeKiller View Post
Griggs suspension is awesome, but somewhat expensive. its great their suspension can be upgraded like a stage thing.
You are right, it is not cheap, however in M3 terms, its really not. $5K and you have a suspension that cleans house with the best of them on the track, and we are talking exotics here.

$5K in M3 terms gets you maybe coil-overs after installation and not even top notch coil-overs.

Its all relative though.
09' C6 Z06
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 08:46 PM   #78
Cabinetman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

My M3 had the DCT so I didn't have any issues with grinding gears.

I guess I have just been spoiled with cars that get good traction right out of the box. The M3 never seemed to have traction issues out of the hole nor did the GT-R and 911 I had before the Ford. Even with the optional SVT suspension package I'm just not overwhelmed with how the GT500 drives. It is fun sliding around corners though so long as you mean to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
Nice car. What happened to the 911?
Gone. Had it all of 7 weeks. My wife and I decided it wasn't really good timing for us. With the cutbacks I've made in my business I didn't feel right driving a car that expensive. This was the main reason I went with the Mustang. I can drive it to the office and not feel like I'm flaunting something in front of my employees. My people all know I'm a car guy so they expect me to drive something fun. I never drove the 911, or the GT-R for that matter, to the office because I didn't want to ruffle any feathers.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 09:12 PM   #79
SnakeKiller
Private
Rep

Quote:
You are right, it is not cheap, however in M3 terms, its really not. $5K and you have a suspension that cleans house with the best of them on the track, and we are talking exotics here.

$5K in M3 terms gets you maybe coil-overs after installation and not even top notch coil-overs.

Its all relative though.
true, most complete suspensions cost 5k or more.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 11:20 PM   #80
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My M3 had the DCT so I didn't have any issues with grinding gears.

I guess I have just been spoiled with cars that get good traction right out of the box. The M3 never seemed to have traction issues out of the hole nor did the GT-R and 911 I had before the Ford. Even with the optional SVT suspension package I'm just not overwhelmed with how the GT500 drives. It is fun sliding around corners though so long as you mean to do it.

Gone. Had it all of 7 weeks. My wife and I decided it wasn't really good timing for us. With the cutbacks I've made in my business I didn't feel right driving a car that expensive. This was the main reason I went with the Mustang. I can drive it to the office and not feel like I'm flaunting something in front of my employees. My people all know I'm a car guy so they expect me to drive something fun. I never drove the 911, or the GT-R for that matter, to the office because I didn't want to ruffle any feathers.
Well, The M3 has more suspension then power so it doesn't have traction issue because it only has 297 lb.ft. of TQ. The GTR is AWD, and the Porsche has lower TQ as well with fatter tires.

The GT500 has WAY more power HP and TQ, so yeah, you have to drive it with more finesse and treat the acceleration pedal like you have an egg underneath it.

It was the same thing in my Z06. Neither are for a brainless driver and it takes some skill, that is part of the fun of owning a car like that. Just don't be stupid with it and respect its power.

I'm not saying you don't, just making a general statement about those types of cars.

Even though you have to drive the GT500 and Z06 more carefully and mindful then an M3, they both have deeper limits then the M3. Both generate higher lateral g's and accelerate faster.
09' C6 Z06
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 01:34 PM   #81
Cabinetman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well, The M3 has more suspension then power so it doesn't have traction issue because it only has 297 lb.ft. of TQ. The GTR is AWD, and the Porsche has lower TQ as well with fatter tires.

The GT500 has WAY more power HP and TQ, so yeah, you have to drive it with more finesse and treat the acceleration pedal like you have an egg underneath it.

It was the same thing in my Z06. Neither are for a brainless driver and it takes some skill, that is part of the fun of owning a car like that. Just don't be stupid with it and respect its power.

I'm not saying you don't, just making a general statement about those types of cars.

Even though you have to drive the GT500 and Z06 more carefully and mindful then an M3, they both have deeper limits then the M3. Both generate higher lateral g's and accelerate faster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray23 View Post

People that are not used to torquey cars think they are hard to launch or are skittish because they are used to cars with either AWD or have no bottom end torque. My Z06 has tons of power everywhere, but it can all be controlled by my foot.
I completely agree. I will also be the first to admit that I have zero track cred and could definitely benefit from some formal training.

I have been enjoying learning to use the throttle as a steering aid. I just wish the GT500 had more tire or a little better suspension tuning so that there is a little more grip. I have spent some time in a Z06 and I thought it hooked up a lot better than the Mustang. I'm guessing better weight distribution, IRS and more tire are the reasons for this.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 01:57 PM   #82
e92_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 m3

I have not driven the GT500, but all I could say is that the ZO6 is a beast! I actually got a lil scared when drove one coz
there's a lot of power under that hood. First thing I noticed is that it's very easy to get the car tail end happy.

It really takes a lot of discipline and self control when driving a car like that. If you have a heavy right foot like me, I advice you go to a driving school first before pushing the ZO6 to it's limits.

Btw, the mild to wild mod is something as well. I love that ZO6 mod.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 10:43 AM   #83
zxmarekxz
Registered
Rep
Drives: 07 mustang gt convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray23 View Post
A lot of cars are under tired from the factory. Especially RWD cars. I think if the GT500 came with 325's out back, it would definitely launch better. No question.
Size would help some but not much as the stock tires are just junk. With DRs the gt500 is an 11s car with no other mods.

for shifting issues start with these:
http://www.cheperformance.com/CartGenie/prod-208.htm

OP - test drive all cars that you're considering and go from there.
Enjoy
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 10:12 PM   #84
Ryboy98
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 Coupe

You should call Griggs Racing and see what they can put together for you. They build some awesome mustangs. I almost bought one 2 years ago, they offer turnkey models from street to track. If you track the car and from your OP it sounds like you do then check them out.

In the Virginia City Hill climb one year their mustang pulled 1.5 Gs at one point. There are videos on this page of one chasing down a Z06, some laps at Infineon and that Virginia City run.

http://gr40cars.com/media/videos.php

Imagine they could make a Boss 302 pretty hot!

*SOLD 3/2012 *2009 AW 6MT E92 M3 Gintani S/C Stage 2+ 606 WHP, 392TQ SAE Dynojet 93 Pump, Gintani cat-less x-pipe, Gintani Race rear.
DPE SP-C16 20x9F, 20x10.5R Toyo T1R 255/30/20F 305/25/20R
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 09:09 AM   #85
Optherion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Prancing Horse

Get a used GT500 and save your money on the massive depreciation.

I just cant bring myself to spend that much on a mustang.

But yes, if its a great deal go for it! And you better mod it to make ridiculous amounts of torque.
      12-08-2010, 10:54 AM   #86
Cabinetman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optherion View Post
Get a used GT500 and save your money on the massive depreciation.

I just cant bring myself to spend that much on a mustang.

But yes, if its a great deal go for it! And you better mod it to make ridiculous amounts of torque.
The problem with buying used is that if you don't get a 2011 you miss out on the aluminum block motor that shaves about 100 lbs off of the front of the car. Plus the SVT Performance Package is new for 2011.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 12:37 PM   #87
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrad01 View Post
BOOM!!!

Yank junk.

It was being tuned to 800rwhp..I would like to see the S65 powerplant try and live with that type of power. Another fanbois.

Dave
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 12:39 PM   #88
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:

Beautiful Shelby..love the PP on these cars.

I think you nailed the way I feel as well. I think the next generation Mustang though is really going to be a M3 competitor.
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0