BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

EXXEL Distributions

12-01-2009, 02:52 PM   #1
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Talking Once and for all: Dr. Colorchip or Langka? That is the question

Before anything, read a nice article how to do touch-ups the hard way, but don't really want to mess with wet-sanding my new car if I can avoid it. Want to give one of those 2 products a try, and go from there.

Read the only 3 related threads I found, and none really explained the differences. I know Langka requires factory touch-up paint (which I already have), but don't know about Colorchip. Nobody posted links of either product, or where to buy.

And does car color make any difference? My M3 is SSII, and my DD red (with no clearcoat -weird, huh?).

Read KANDaddy's review, but his car is dark, and pics didn't help. How about a bit more detailed info, like the specific kit any of you bought (Langka has several), and where? Thx.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 12:50 PM   #2
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Nobody can vouch for Langka? And nobody has used Dr. Colorchip on SSII? Come on gang.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 01:04 PM   #3
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Nobody can vouch for Langka? And nobody has used Dr. Colorchip on SSII? Come on gang.
I bought Dr. Colorchip for my SSII, but, fortunately, haven't had a reason to use it yet. Just Google it, and you'll find where to buy it. I bought direct from the Dr.'s site.
      12-08-2009, 02:07 PM   #4
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by foosh View Post
I bought Dr. Colorchip for my SSII, but, fortunately, haven't had a reason to use it yet. Just Google it, and you'll find where to buy it. I bought direct from the Dr.'s site.
Was hoping to hear from somebody who has actually used both, to know which one is better. The difference in cost is not an issue. Since nobody seems to vouch for Lankga, might end up ordering the Dr. one. Will wait a few more days, as it's too darn cold to do any touch-up now anyway. Thanks man.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 09:23 PM   #5
Green///Hell
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, F15 X5, 1199S

I've used Dr. Colorchip on my old Carbonblack and current AW and both times it was perfect

Never heard of the Langka kit
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 09:53 AM   #6
NetBoy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

I've used both. Langka would be better for large single chips and you use the OEM paint.

dr colorchip seems to be better for road rash. I have jet black and my lower panels have tiny white dots behind the front wheels.
I've only used dr once and got so so results. I plan on trying it again this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 05:08 PM   #7
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetBoy View Post
I've used both. Langka would be better for large single chips and you use the OEM paint.

dr colorchip seems to be better for road rash. I have jet black and my lower panels have tiny white dots behind the front wheels.
I've only used dr once and got so so results. I plan on trying it again this weekend.
Please post results. The nastiest chip is a kidney-shaped one (like an '8' but sideways) almost at the edge of the hood, next to the roundel. It's all the way to the primer, and all I can say is the paint is ridiculously thin on this car. Can barely feel it . It's pretty big for a chip; total width probably the size of a pencil's eraser, and half as tall. And also have many more 'normal' chips to fix (and on my other cars too), I'd say between 2 and 3 mm. That's why I was thinking of Langka, since I have OEM factory paint for all; otherwise it's going to be expensive to order the colorchip with 3 different touch-up colors, no? Oh, and also have some pretty small chips too, like 1mm.

Hopefully one kit can do them all. I have OEM paint, but bought it a few months ago, and have never used it (I'd probably wouldn't use the clear bottle, or should I?). Wonder if colorchip has a proper match for my SSII. Looking forward to reading your results and recommendations. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 02:23 PM   #8
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Bump.

I've got all the same questions. It's a bummer there has been so littlf feedback here. Anyone??
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 11:01 PM   #9
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
I have both. For me, the Langka worked better. The dr colorchip is good for small chips but it will keep pulling the paint out of larger ones.

You can use the Langka just like dr c by smearing.

I got the dr colorchip because BMW had some us wide shortage of touch up paint awhile back.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 12:46 PM   #10
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
I have both. For me, the Langka worked better. The dr colorchip is good for small chips but it will keep pulling the paint out of larger ones.

I got the dr colorchip because BMW had some us wide shortage of touch up paint awhile back.
how big do you think the chip could be for the kit to still work?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 07:54 AM   #11
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post

I'm gonna bump this thread because I just got a nasty chip on the edge of my hood, just next to the fender (approx the size or or larger than a pencil eraser)
Like stated above, I used Dr. Colorchip and see how the solution not only cleans-up the smudge but also pulls the paint out of the chip.

I'm willing to give Langka a try but have some concerns.

1) IMO, every time I but BMW touch-up paint, it's too think to apply well. Would thinner work and if so, what thinner?

2) Langka, because it's formulated to work on touch-up paint, won't it also have an effect on the finish?

2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 08:27 AM   #12
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

I got the Langka for my DD Honda Accord (silver). I was not impressed with the Langka process. I used the OEM paint to fill in the chip holes, and spent lots of time making sure there wasn't too much paint in the chip. That is more technique, than Langka.
Appreciate 0