BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

02-10-2009, 10:12 PM   #1
texasdoc
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Coupe

Texas dealerships and willingness to discount

Hi there,

I'm looking into a new 2009 M3 coupe, and currently working with BMW of Austin. Despite what I read on this board suggesting $500 to $1000 over invoice is a reasonable deal to expect, the local dealership is giving me the wave off. Basically, they are saying "well, you know, these DCT cars are rare and there's just no way we can discount them." Does anyone have any recent experience buying an M3 from a Texas dealership? I didn't get much of a response today from the dealer in San Antonio either. I would certainly drive to Dallas, Houston, etc to save $3000 or $4000. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 11:08 PM   #2
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

They're morons. Buy from out of state if you have to, you can save so much money and hassle.
      02-11-2009, 12:01 AM   #3
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

-

In my experience they are less willing to discount: it becomes a matter of preference. And TX - at least Sth Central TX, AFAIK - is less affected by the downturn.

Do you want to 'know' your dealer or save money? In my case I was unwilling not to negotiate a discount & for the $k difference so I ended deaing in my home turf (and I want Euro delivery - big diff). I could have 'saved' $1,500 by buying, for e.g., in NJ. Be nice drive back

Having said that one dealer in TX lost my deal for not moving on $500 - given the economy and a $70K trade, silly buggers.

Cash or a sound FICO is king.

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2009, 07:00 AM   #4
gobuffs
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 S54 (race car)

Check with Garlyn Shelton in Temple or College Station. I have heard good stories about both of those dealerships and that they are willing to deal moreso than the dealers in the large metro areas. I think the dealer in Wichita Falls will deal as well.

You can always order from any dealer and pick up at the Perf Center in SC and drive it home.

Another thing to consider is ED.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2009, 09:48 AM   #5
TwistaStick
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW BMW E92 M3 DCT

If you were willing to drive to Dallas then Wichita Falls would be another 2.5 hours added to your drive. I live in Wichita Falls and ordered my DCT car through them. I originally ordered back in early September 2008 and got a deal of $1900 over invoice, which was pretty good since most places didn't even want to discount on ordered cars back then. The first order was coded wrong and never got released to BMW. Three months later he ordered the car again and I had to fight to get the price lowered another $1000 and now my car is due to arrive this month. So overall I am getting $900 over invoice, but I have heard of a few people actually getting less than this now on 09s, but not many. I'm not sure if they were DCTs though. Anyways, it is a small town dealership and wouln't hurt to give them a try. Ask to speak to Todd Rafter at Patterson Auto Center and maybe he will be willing to place another order. After my order screwup, he pretty much didn't ever want to order another car, but I doubt that's true.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2009, 07:17 AM   #6
texasdoc
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Coupe

They have relented

Interestingly, I got a call yesterday from BMW of Austin. Apparently they are now willing to deal! It seems that by pointing out that I was aware of deals available through other dealers, they will now actually negotiate. I'll let everyone know what I come up with, but it sounds encouraging! I would obviously rather stay in town if possible.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2009, 07:51 AM   #7
ChrisFastM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 vert w/ LOTS of mods

Good to hear! Keep us updated
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2009, 10:31 AM   #8
thai357sig
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdoc View Post
Interestingly, I got a call yesterday from BMW of Austin. Apparently they are now willing to deal! It seems that by pointing out that I was aware of deals available through other dealers, they will now actually negotiate. I'll let everyone know what I come up with, but it sounds encouraging! I would obviously rather stay in town if possible.
Texas,
Try this go in and go for broke. When it seems they are at a wall (which may be good deal, but regardless) walk out citing that you really aren't sure if that is the best deal or not and you want to think about it over the weekend. Immediately go out to another dealership and tell them exactly what you got, you don't want any fookin' joyride and you are there to talk numbers, they must beat your last deal by 500-1000(prefereably invoice plus $500-1000, or what ever makes you comfortable). If they come to your price range your done, if not move on. I also made it clear that I am ready to purchase today. Good luck!
      02-12-2009, 01:06 PM   #9
AlpineM3
Private
Rep
Drives: AW M3

Typically im a hellofa negotiatior and im loving the stories guys have posted on the boards but... when i actually ended up choosing who i bought my car from i picked the one with the best price realitive to the way i was treated and how others rated their service. Customer service is a MAJOR make or break to any dealings i have with cars. Just my .02
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 12:43 AM   #10
turbo6
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328cic

Good deals and reality-

I appreciate your comment regarding my Father's Dealerships. (Garlyn Shelton BMW; Temple/Bryan) He tries to run a tight ship, and despite the usual miscommunications between departments/employees, he has run a pretty solid operation for the past 36 years... we appreciate all of your business! I just jumped on this forum to see what folks thought of my Dad's operation, and I hope we have met your expectations. I want to give our direct number to those with a comment; (254)-771-0128. YOU are the reason we have been in business this long. No, this is NOT a robo-text...I am sitting here in my home office, sending you guys this message as a 'thank-you' for the business you have given my Father in the past 30+ years. God Bless; take care. -Jay S.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 01:10 AM   #11
artifice
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

60k + and hassling over a couple k is fine but for me a reputable dealer would be better than false promises on an order. Btw "invoices" can be manfactured as well as deals regarding financing. Please consider that you get what you pay for as advice when dealing withdealerships. Good luck with your purchase and post pics!!!

My fiancé deals with dealerships as a job and you would not believe the shadiness.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 09:45 AM   #12
chd2
Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 M3 DCT

Come to Houston, I had both Advantage and Momentum offer me 6k off sticker. I went with the car at Momentum because it was closer to what I wanted.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 09:48 AM   #13
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

I just thought I'd mention that if anyone's located in the DFW area, Moritz BMW & BMW of Dallas are some of the more competitive dealerships......That is if you are after getting the best price. This is just from my experience.

I tried giving BMW of Austin a chance when they had a white e90 M3 on their lot, but the salesman on the phone didn't wanna go too far in negotiating a price. I guess he wasn't willing to bend backwards, even though I was willing to drive all the way from Dallas to Austin.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 10:27 AM   #14
calintexas
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

DCT's Are Everywhere

I recall another forum member saying that they recently got a good price at Moritz in Arlington.

Be sure you look at other posts in this section of the forum. BMW is stopping 2010 model year production soon. 2011's will be released early. While there are rumors, we don't know what the changes will be to the M3 yet.

It's reported that the dealers have substantial cash support from BMW to clear existing inventory.

My experience is that DCT's are easy to find.

Good luck.

Last edited by calintexas; 01-18-2010 at 10:32 AM.. Reason: Added DCT comment
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 10:59 PM   #15
BMWDavid
United_States
Rep
Drives: MSport F30

Garage List
2011 BMW M3 Sedan  [0.00]
2005(sold but not f ...  [10.00]
2006 X3  [0.00]
1984 633csi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdoc View Post
Hi there,

I'm looking into a new 2009 M3 coupe, and currently working with BMW of Austin. Despite what I read on this board suggesting $500 to $1000 over invoice is a reasonable deal to expect, the local dealership is giving me the wave off. Basically, they are saying "well, you know, these DCT cars are rare and there's just no way we can discount them." Does anyone have any recent experience buying an M3 from a Texas dealership? I didn't get much of a response today from the dealer in San Antonio either. I would certainly drive to Dallas, Houston, etc to save $3000 or $4000. Thanks!
You shouldn't have to haggle or be treated like that. Your numbers show you've done your homework. Best regards
      01-19-2010, 11:37 PM   #16
jml
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M, GT3RS, GT4

I must have lucked out then, I got a ridiculous deal from Austin BMW, 500 over invoice on an 09 DCT that they traded for while in flight from Germany..a year ago with the financing subsidy - different times though. Helps to be a repeat buyer I guess.
Appreciate 0