BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography

BPM

07-13-2008, 10:48 PM   #23
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
to tell you the truth, megapixels dont really have much to do with the quality of the photograph. it kinda only determines how large you can print a picture with out the photo being distorted, and unless you are planning on printing poster sized photographs you'll be fine. 6.1 megapixels is perfect if you are only planning on looking at your pictures on the computer or planning to print on normal computer paper sized pictures (which is 10x11in paper i believe), and since you'll be a beginner i doubt you'll find much use of the extra pixels.
I agree mostly. More megapixels is also important if you need to crop. The difference between 6 and 10 is pretty significant too. 10 and 12 is no big deal, but 6 and 10 is something to actually pay (a bit of) attention to.
Quote:
Now to settle the debate between Canon and Nikon. We all know nikon is way better, so thats the end of that ... LOL jk(i know a lot of guys will get their panties in a bunch after that comment)

To tell you the truth, i believe Nikon and Canon are equally as good. You can get excellent shots with cameras from both companies if you know how to use them. its just little things that are different that people swear makes one WAY better than the other.
L glass for life. Suck it Nikkor bitch.
j/k

I agree, both camera marques are excellent and make good gear and glass. It's just like Audi/BMW both make badass cars and fanboys will show up on both sides claiming the other is shit, when they're really both great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2008, 11:20 PM   #24
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991TTs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClass View Post
L glass for life. Suck it Nikkor bitch.
j/k

i will give that to cannon, their L glass is pretty serious... but Nikon is coming out with their PWN series pretty soon. The name says it all haha.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 01:28 AM   #25
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

Quote:
first off, nikon makes the D40 and Canon makes the Digital Rebel XTi... lol

to tell you the truth, megapixels dont really have much to do with the quality of the photograph. it kinda only determines how large you can print a picture with out the photo being distorted, and unless you are planning on printing poster sized photographs you'll be fine. 6.1 megapixels is perfect if you are only planning on looking at your pictures on the computer or planning to print on normal computer paper sized pictures (which is 10x11in paper i believe), and since you'll be a beginner i doubt you'll find much use of the extra pixels.

Now to settle the debate between Canon and Nikon. We all know nikon is way better, so thats the end of that ... LOL jk(i know a lot of guys will get their panties in a bunch after that comment)

To tell you the truth, i believe Nikon and Canon are equally as good. You can get excellent shots with cameras from both companies if you know how to use them. its just little things that are different that people swear makes one WAY better than the other.

The best thing for you to do, like i mentioned before, is to go to a local camera store and get a feel for bother cameras (in your case the Nikon D40 and the Canon XTi). Hold the cameras and see how it feels in your hands, look through the menus, try to take some test shots if you can. (However when you do go to check the cameras out i wouldnt necessarily listen to what the sales person has to say because most times their advice is biased based on what they like themselves and them trying to make a sale, you know?) after checking out the cameras the desicion on which camera you should get will most likely be obvious to you.

BHphotovideo.com is the best place to buy your camera and all its accessories. many people i know, including myself, buy their equipment from them and have had no complaints.

good luck man.
Hey thanks a ton for all of your help - yeah I know Nikon does, that was just a bit of a mistake that I typed up. Will head out to find an electronic store with cameras in the next couple of days. Oh, is there any chance you could recommend me some of the books that you bought please? I am going to need all the help I can get with this 'cause I don't know anyone else into photography.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 12:49 PM   #26
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougLikesBMW View Post
Hey thanks a ton for all of your help - yeah I know Nikon does, that was just a bit of a mistake that I typed up. Will head out to find an electronic store with cameras in the next couple of days. Oh, is there any chance you could recommend me some of the books that you bought please? I am going to need all the help I can get with this 'cause I don't know anyone else into photography.
Understanding Exposure. Pretty much the book everyone recommends to anyone getting started with an SLR.
http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-...6057720&sr=8-1

Quote:
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 12:58 PM   #27
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Understanding Exposure. Pretty much the book everyone recommends to anyone getting started with an SLR.
http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-...6057720&sr=8-1
yeah thats the same book i got, youll learn a lot from it
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 01:32 PM   #28
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep

Thanks so much for all the help guys, I really appreciate it. Unfortunately there are so many college costs right now that I think I am going to just wait until Christmas to get this camera. My dad said he would cut a deal with me in that if I have straight A's (which I will) in college then he will buy it for me instead of just helping me pay for it. I am going to get this book ahead of time and start reading into it.

Are there any similar guides/books for using Photoshop and picture enhancing/digital manipulation?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 01:48 PM   #29
Captain
United_States
Rep

i really dont know cause i dont really use photoshop, but if you do find one please let em know.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2008, 12:50 AM   #30
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep

Better than a regular Photoshop book because it's actually focused on digital photography.
http://www.amazon.com/Photoshop-Digi...6100931&sr=1-2

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2008, 12:52 AM   #31
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep

Quote:
Better than a regular Photoshop book because it's actually focused on digital photography.
http://www.amazon.com/Photoshop-Digi...6100931&sr=1-2
Cool thank you! Now I just need to find somewhere to get Photoshop CS3 for free .
Appreciate 0