BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

07-31-2011, 04:46 PM   #45
dmw16
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2005 ///M3

OP, it's your car so get what makes you happy.

But, I just can't see spending big dollars on an individual black color. I think all M3's look better in lighter colors. If you are going to drop the money on an individual car I'd go for Estroil Blue or better yet Dakar Yellow.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 04:51 PM   #46
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

I have seen Allan's (TTbear) car in person and can confirm it is no where close to Jerez (It was actually one of my three choices for my M). It is such an amazing color IRL and if you must have a Black M3 I think Azurite is the color to get!
      07-31-2011, 05:09 PM   #47
TTBear
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 Huracán/'19 M2Comp/'23 X4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieDriving View Post
Thank-you so much TTBear!!

Was your body shop able to match the paint because you gave them the BMW paint code for the color?

I was a short roadtrip today, so my mind had a lot of time to wander, and so I imagined myself with a jerez... Waxing and washing it... Would I wonder if I should have ponied up? If Azurite is a richer, more "blue" dark blue, I would...

Now what if I had Azurite and I had ponied up? And no one could see the difference but me? Would I regret paying more? The answer jumped at me instantly and very affirmatively: no way!

This would be different if it were a non-M 3-series... But this would be my dream car.

TTBear, I think your description has sealed the deal for me...
De nada!! The matching of the paint was a non-issue, entirely! They simply looked up the code and it came out perfectly.
Oh, I also forgot - IND painted my Vorsteiner front lip, front bumper reflectors, and my Vorsteiner carbon fibre trunk lid, and sight unseen, matched Azurite perfectly. Really, paint matching now, done by the right body shop, literally can be perfect.

Glad I could help - I was exactly in the same boat as you - wondering if simply knowing that Azurite was different, would be sufficient to make it worthwhile to me. As it turns out, not only is it worth it from that point of view, it has turned out to be noticeable to others, who also appreciate it greatly! Win-win, really, although truly, at the end of the day, the colour choice is for me.

Glad I could help. Enjoy!!!!!!!!

PM me if you want any pics of specific areas of the car, close ups, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR View Post
I have seen Allan's (TTbear) car in person and can confirm it is no where close to Jerez (It was actually one of my three choices for my M). It is such an amazing color IRL and if you must have a Black M3 I think Azurite is the color to get!
Thanks, Jamie!
      07-31-2011, 05:30 PM   #48
I M STIG
RawAutos.com
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion5 View Post
I think that pic actually proves my point really well. Most pics taken by cameras try to bring out the detail in black by doing auto exposure, but with this car, it's more realistic.

As you can clearly see the black hides every single part of the car that's supposed to be special. It just looks like a big black blob. All I see is headlights, chin spoiler, wheels and the turn signal, then black blob.

The M3 just looks like a regular car in profile, Jay Leno has actually said that in his review of the car, that at first glance it looks like a regular car. The last thing you want is to reduce an M3 down to a blob because then it brings out the fact it's a normal car.

The thing to do with an M3 is to show off it's sublte features as much as possible.

Compare the pic you just posted to this:

Yours = black blob

This = special car
Do you actually believe the stuff that you type? You sound like one of those guys who thinks he's such a deep thinker and philosopher. An M3 will look good in puke... Get over your over-analyzed BS.

I can speak from having Jerez Black: If you get a rock chip or a door ding, it's expensive as shit to touch up. From a recent door ding, they have to take my driver's door, rear passenger door, as well as the front and rear side panels off and re-paint all of them so that they'll match properly. It's also an expensive color to get in general.

My ding is no more than 1/4 inch all around and it's going to cost about 550 dollars or more to fix... Then again, it's also right on the damn crease!!! Dumb bitch that hit my door...

Anyway, the materials to mix the paint are about $225 alone. That's before taking the doors and panels off to paint.

2009 E90 M3| Jerez Black | Extended Silver Novillo with Brushed Aluminum | 6MT | EDC | Premium Package II | Convenience Package | Enhanced Premium Sound | HD Radio | Heated front seats | Fold down rear seats | Moonroof | 19" wheels |
RawAutos.com
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 05:35 PM   #49
I M STIG
RawAutos.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion5 View Post
Well like I said, there's an overwhelming majority of people who agree that the M3 does not look good in dark colors because of the subtle bulges and also It's worth menoning because of the use of black trim which doesn't contrast with black.

I've spoken to several dozen salespeople that specialize in M3's and even without soliciting them there is a huge consensus that lighter colors are better. In fact I have never heard a salesman specializing in M3's recomend black, and I have always heard salesmen recomend the lighter color.

Like I said black is good for cars with striking shapes, like Lambos, all my cars used to be black on purpose before I went to all red cars so I'm saying this both from an informed artistic standpoint, from the standpoint of having done a mountain of research and interviewed more people than I can count, and from an experience standpoint.

I really don't think black is the M3's color. Black is good for cars that have lots of silver trim and unique shapes. Not for cars with black trim, black vents, and that have lots of form but little shape, which perfectly describes the M3.
God, stop!!! You make my eyes bleed!!!! Who has that much time to just sit and talk to "dozens" of sales people that "specialize" in M3s? Why don't we poll all of the people on M3 Post and see how many have which colors?

The M3 looks good in black/darker colors because it can look menacing. It looks good in blues because it shows off some of the more subtle lines and makes the color sexier. The whites make the M3 look classy and original.

That about sums up what the different colors do to the M3. Now, please, stop posting your "artistic" information.

2009 E90 M3| Jerez Black | Extended Silver Novillo with Brushed Aluminum | 6MT | EDC | Premium Package II | Convenience Package | Enhanced Premium Sound | HD Radio | Heated front seats | Fold down rear seats | Moonroof | 19" wheels |
RawAutos.com
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 07:28 PM   #50
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeBMW2 View Post
God, stop!!! You make my eyes bleed!!!! Who has that much time to just sit and talk to "dozens" of sales people that "specialize" in M3s? Why don't we poll all of the people on M3 Post and see how many have which colors?

The M3 looks good in black/darker colors because it can look menacing. It looks good in blues because it shows off some of the more subtle lines and makes the color sexier. The whites make the M3 look classy and original.

That about sums up what the different colors do to the M3. Now, please, stop posting your "artistic" information.
actually dude, i don't care who you are and I don't care what you think. You need to take a chill pill and relax. Respect the opinions of others and stop pretending that you are educated beyond your witts.
People's opinion matter on this forum.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 07:47 PM   #51
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatrach73 View Post
actually dude, i don't care who you are and I don't care what you think. You need to take a chill pill and relax. Respect the opinions of others and stop pretending that you are educated beyond your witts.
I think he was calling out Legion for exactly what you are calling him out for. Legion was coming off as though he was "educated beyond his witts" and that his "opinion" was the correct one. His post was also completely ludacris and he was called on it. I don't see a problem with that. If I made crazy claims in a post, I would expect to get called out too.

I completely agree that people's opinions matter here... it is when the opinion is being portrayed as "fact" (for various non sense reasons) that people get annoyed. But, you are right, we all need to chill a bit too and take all of this less seriously.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 08:16 PM   #52
jeff4598
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C HS, DCT, much Dinan

Confusion of opinion with fact is what is ruining this country!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 08:18 PM   #53
I M STIG
RawAutos.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatrach73 View Post
You should read this thread, mostly Legion's comments, and tell me whether you understand what I'm saying after that... I respect all opinions on the forum. As the gentleman said who quoted you, I'm simply making a point to Legion.

Also, he wasn't stating opinions. The OP was asking a question about color and Legion marched in like General Patton and started telling everyone why dark colors suck and how every M3 owner somehow agrees with that.

RawAutos.com

Last edited by I M STIG; 08-01-2011 at 12:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 08:19 PM   #54
I M STIG
RawAutos.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
I think he was calling out Legion for exactly what you are calling him out for. Legion was coming off as though he was "educated beyond his witts" and that his "opinion" was the correct one. His post was also completely ludacris and he was called on it. I don't see a problem with that. If I made crazy claims in a post, I would expect to get called out too.

I completely agree that people's opinions matter here... it is when the opinion is being portrayed as "fact" (for various non sense reasons) that people get annoyed. But, you are right, we all need to chill a bit too and take all of this less seriously.
Precisely. I'm glad someone actually read the thread.

RawAutos.com
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 10:46 PM   #55
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

OP just get the regular black. why waste money on individual black. afterall it's the same damn black to most people anyway.

my vote for jet black. nothing beat a clean shiny black car. get some zcp black rims and you are done.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 11:26 PM   #56
Totti
Troll
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeBMW2 View Post

+1 on calling out Legion. It's not like everyone is NOT entitled to their own opinion (That's what makes this forum so refreshing to read), its just that Legion's posts (See his thoughts on Individual Audio for a class example) seem to almost come across as pretentious. He's somehow an audiophile, racing car driver AND a professional car detailer. He's the wonder kid!
Use the stick like u would a manual. If that doesn't work, put it in D mode and put both hands at 10 and 2. If that doesn't work, just sit on your right hand.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 12:19 AM   #57
I M STIG
RawAutos.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totti View Post
+1 on calling out Legion. It's not like everyone is NOT entitled to their own opinion (That's what makes this forum so refreshing to read), its just that Legion's posts (See his thoughts on Individual Audio for a class example) seem to almost come across as pretentious. He's somehow an audiophile, racing car driver AND a professional car detailer. He's the wonder kid!
Oh man, the audio thread is brilliant! I started a thread asking how to shave weight off my car, and he was a damn racing engineer then... A lot of people were giving me good ideas, and then he'd just go in and throw up a thesis on why each and every one of them were incorrect.

/threadjack.

It's so tough picking colors with any BMW, because they're all so attractive and offer their own unique look for each car. I say, go with Jerez. It's a unique color, plus it's cheaper and looks very similar.

RawAutos.com
Appreciate 0