BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
BPM Sport
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-04-2011, 03:04 AM   #67
Robmaster
Colonel
Robmaster's Avatar
Switzerland
63
Rep
2,729
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 E82 135, 2005 E87 130i
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Switzerland

iTrader: (3)

little question of M3 newbie:

are the tips of the BMW M Performance exhaust bigger than the normal, double walled one???
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 09:39 AM   #68
spdy330
Major General
spdy330's Avatar
United_States
100
Rep
6,074
Posts

 
Drives: 05 Tundra, 11 M3, 08 Odyssey
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chino, CA

iTrader: (161)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to spdy330 Send a message via Yahoo to spdy330
About the same size and not double walled tips.

You can see close up pics on my profile page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmaster View Post
little question of M3 newbie:

are the tips of the BMW M Performance exhaust bigger than the normal, double walled one???
__________________
If you will be purchasing ANY AT&T services online or in store could you mention that you were referred by me? My Employee Referral ID is eo4489. This would be a great help and it costs you nothing, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 10:51 AM   #69
geneatals
Ninja
geneatals's Avatar
Philippines
44
Rep
3,207
Posts

 
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: So Cal (SFV)

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdy330 View Post
About the same size and not double walled tips.

You can see close up pics on my profile page.
and the m performance tips are perforated....
__________________
2011.5 E90 M3 AW l Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL l Pics/Mods
Retired: 2008 535i l AW l Black Dakota Leather l Bamboo Anthracite l ZPP l ZSP l 6FL
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 04:43 PM   #70
spdy330
Major General
spdy330's Avatar
United_States
100
Rep
6,074
Posts

 
Drives: 05 Tundra, 11 M3, 08 Odyssey
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chino, CA

iTrader: (161)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to spdy330 Send a message via Yahoo to spdy330
Hey Gene, we should do a photoshoot sometime. Twin M's


Quote:
Originally Posted by geneatals View Post
and the m performance tips are perforated....
__________________
If you will be purchasing ANY AT&T services online or in store could you mention that you were referred by me? My Employee Referral ID is eo4489. This would be a great help and it costs you nothing, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 07:08 PM   #71
geneatals
Ninja
geneatals's Avatar
Philippines
44
Rep
3,207
Posts

 
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: So Cal (SFV)

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdy330 View Post
Hey Gene, we should do a photoshoot sometime. Twin M's
we should, you with the m performance and me with the akra slip-on...would be a nice comparison as well....lmk..
__________________
2011.5 E90 M3 AW l Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL l Pics/Mods
Retired: 2008 535i l AW l Black Dakota Leather l Bamboo Anthracite l ZPP l ZSP l 6FL
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 11:51 PM   #72
spdy330
Major General
spdy330's Avatar
United_States
100
Rep
6,074
Posts

 
Drives: 05 Tundra, 11 M3, 08 Odyssey
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chino, CA

iTrader: (161)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to spdy330 Send a message via Yahoo to spdy330
I am down when our schedules match up. Sounds like fun. I would like to go somewhere that has a great background. Not sure where that would be though.


Quote:
Originally Posted by geneatals View Post
we should, you with the m performance and me with the akra slip-on...would be a nice comparison as well....lmk..
__________________
If you will be purchasing ANY AT&T services online or in store could you mention that you were referred by me? My Employee Referral ID is eo4489. This would be a great help and it costs you nothing, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 05:15 PM   #73
llis
octane chick
llis's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
1,135
Posts

 
Drives: Ms
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 ZCP  [5.00]
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denk View Post
Well, the M Performance is definitely overall less bassy than most others.
The M Performance exhaust is anything but less bassy than most others. On the contrary, it has a wonderful rumble, and roars as you accelerate. The sound seems to open up after a few hundred miles, too. The cold start-up is wonderful! The bark when rev-matching downshift is fun! I would not call the exhaust quiet, but it does not drone.

I have not had any problem with the paint inside the tips, even after several hot track days and a couple thousand miles. Maybe the bubbling was an artifact of one production run?

I do recommend painting the cans with flat black high-temp paint or primer. (Exhaust manifold paint works.) When the silverish cans catch the light they really are pretty ugly, but some flat black takes care of that no problem.

Also, do shop around. I paid nowhere near MSRP.
__________________

2013 E92 ///M3 ZCP 6MT Speed Yellow 2003 E39 ///M5
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 08:01 PM   #74
edu09
Major
edu09's Avatar
United_States
25
Rep
1,339
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 Frozen Black M3 ESS 650
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Doral, FL

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by llis View Post
The M Performance exhaust is anything but less bassy than most others. On the contrary, it has a wonderful rumble, and roars as you accelerate. The sound seems to open up after a few hundred miles, too. The cold start-up is wonderful! The bark when rev-matching downshift is fun! I would not call the exhaust quiet, but it does not drone.

I have not had any problem with the paint inside the tips, even after several hot track days and a couple thousand miles. Maybe the bubbling was an artifact of one production run?

I do recommend painting the cans with flat black high-temp paint or primer. (Exhaust manifold paint works.) When the silverish cans catch the light they really are pretty ugly, but some flat black takes care of that no problem.

Also, do shop around. I paid nowhere near MSRP.
Agree with llis, I would recommend to use ceramic coating on the canisters
Attached Images
 
__________________
2013 M3 E93 | Frozen Black, individual interior black with red stitching, Carbon Leather trim, M Double-clutch Transmission, Enhanced Premium Sound Sys
Mods: ESS VT2 650 SC / Akrapovic GT4 Exhaust / Brembo 365 kit / HRE RB2 wheels / Toyo R888 tires / KW coilover sleeve kit / OSS V4 kit / OEM Frozen Blk Rear Lip Spoiler / BMW Performance Black Grilles / BMW Wind Deflector / FB Vorsteiner Front Spoiler / FB side gills
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 10:13 PM   #75
kitw
Colonel
kitw's Avatar
61
Rep
2,632
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 MW M3/2014 Boxster S
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by llis View Post
The M Performance exhaust is anything but less bassy than most others. On the contrary, it has a wonderful rumble, and roars as you accelerate.

No. The BMW Performance Exhaust is the least bassy aftermarket option on the market.

Exhaust slut hath spoketh.
__________________

IMG_4631 by kitwetzler, on Flickr
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 11:57 AM   #76
AMPowerJ
One mod leads to another ...
AMPowerJ's Avatar
United_States
64
Rep
2,623
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 F80 M3
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Blythewood, SC

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitw View Post
No. The BMW Performance Exhaust is the least bassy aftermarket option on the market.

Exhaust slut hath spoketh.
You should market yourself as an 'Exhaust Selection Consultant'. If people would listen to you they could save themselves a ton of money and heartache.
__________________

Current: 2015 F80 M3 (SS, Full Black Interior, 6MT, LED Lights, Adaptive Suspension, 19's)
Previous: 2013 E92 M3, 2013 F10 M5, 2009 E90 M3, 1998 E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 03:49 PM   #77
Mick0
New Member
2
Rep
29
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 e90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Calgary, AB

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edu09 View Post
Agree with llis, I would recommend to use ceramic coating on the canisters
How has this ceramic coating held up for you? Just wondering how anyone who has painted their exhaust is finding it holding up, or if I need to go to the trouble to powder coat?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 04:00 PM   #78
llis
octane chick
llis's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
1,135
Posts

 
Drives: Ms
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 ZCP  [5.00]
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick0 View Post
How has this ceramic coating held up for you? Just wondering how anyone who has painted their exhaust is finding it holding up, or if I need to go to the trouble to powder coat?

Thanks.
I used VHT Flame Proof cilica ceramic header paint. No problems, no peeling after 2-3k miles. NB: I did not sand before applying, just used some basic cleaner to wipe off slick film.
__________________

2013 E92 ///M3 ZCP 6MT Speed Yellow 2003 E39 ///M5
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 09:28 AM   #79
AMPowerJ
One mod leads to another ...
AMPowerJ's Avatar
United_States
64
Rep
2,623
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 F80 M3
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Blythewood, SC

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick0 View Post
How has this ceramic coating held up for you? Just wondering how anyone who has painted their exhaust is finding it holding up, or if I need to go to the trouble to powder coat?

Thanks.
Just high temp flat black paint for me. I have a thread around here somewhere with the process I went through. Ceramic coating is way overkill IMO.
__________________

Current: 2015 F80 M3 (SS, Full Black Interior, 6MT, LED Lights, Adaptive Suspension, 19's)
Previous: 2013 E92 M3, 2013 F10 M5, 2009 E90 M3, 1998 E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 09:29 AM   #80
llis
octane chick
llis's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
1,135
Posts

 
Drives: Ms
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 ZCP  [5.00]
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMPowerJ View Post
Just high temp flat black paint for me. I have a thread around here somewhere with the process I went through. Ceramic coating is way overkill IMO.
FWIW the can of ceramic high temp manifold paint was something like 8 bucks at the local auto parts store.
__________________

2013 E92 ///M3 ZCP 6MT Speed Yellow 2003 E39 ///M5
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 10:58 AM   #81
AMPowerJ
One mod leads to another ...
AMPowerJ's Avatar
United_States
64
Rep
2,623
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 F80 M3
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Blythewood, SC

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by llis View Post
FWIW the can of ceramic high temp manifold paint was something like 8 bucks at the local auto parts store.
That's cool. I read into the post above recommending ceramic that he had it professionally powdercoated. I didn't know you could buy ceramic paint in a can.
__________________

Current: 2015 F80 M3 (SS, Full Black Interior, 6MT, LED Lights, Adaptive Suspension, 19's)
Previous: 2013 E92 M3, 2013 F10 M5, 2009 E90 M3, 1998 E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 11:22 AM   #82
Mick0
New Member
2
Rep
29
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 e90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Calgary, AB

iTrader: (0)

Awesome info folks, thanks. I'll try the cermaic paint it yourself approach.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 11:39 AM   #83
llis
octane chick
llis's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
1,135
Posts

 
Drives: Ms
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 ZCP  [5.00]
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMPowerJ View Post
That's cool. I read into the post above recommending ceramic that he had it professionally powdercoated. I didn't know you could buy ceramic paint in a can.
Here's the brand I used. (Photo of can)
Attached Images
 
__________________

2013 E92 ///M3 ZCP 6MT Speed Yellow 2003 E39 ///M5
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 12:41 PM   #84
edu09
Major
edu09's Avatar
United_States
25
Rep
1,339
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 Frozen Black M3 ESS 650
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Doral, FL

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick0 View Post
How has this ceramic coating held up for you? Just wondering how anyone who has painted their exhaust is finding it holding up, or if I need to go to the trouble to powder coat?

Thanks.
Mine is holding pretty good, have driven 3000 miles since the ceramic coating was applied and looks like the first day, I paid only $100 for the coating at a specialized shop in Fort Lauderdale
__________________
2013 M3 E93 | Frozen Black, individual interior black with red stitching, Carbon Leather trim, M Double-clutch Transmission, Enhanced Premium Sound Sys
Mods: ESS VT2 650 SC / Akrapovic GT4 Exhaust / Brembo 365 kit / HRE RB2 wheels / Toyo R888 tires / KW coilover sleeve kit / OSS V4 kit / OEM Frozen Blk Rear Lip Spoiler / BMW Performance Black Grilles / BMW Wind Deflector / FB Vorsteiner Front Spoiler / FB side gills
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 08:55 AM   #85
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
Templar's Avatar
United_States
40
Rep
1,824
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: One of the coasts...

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
Ugh, decisions decisions...

Every time I thought I made up my mind people come in and twist my arm and I change it

Now off to look around for the M Performance exhaust... I really just like the fact that it is basically OEM.
__________________
'11 BMW E92 ///M3 - ZCP and DCT
'13 Toyota Tundra - 4x4 Platinum CrewMax, 5.7l iForce V8
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 09:41 AM   #86
Sean05
Putcha ang ganda...
Sean05's Avatar
Philippines
89
Rep
5,331
Posts

 
Drives: 08 MR E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Los Angeles, Brea CA.

iTrader: (9)

Send a message via Yahoo to Sean05
Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
Ugh, decisions decisions...

Every time I thought I made up my mind people come in and twist my arm and I change it

Now off to look around for the M Performance exhaust... I really just like the fact that it is basically OEM.
i like my AKRA... it feels OEM.. and sounds better than OEM... :LOL:
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 10:08 AM   #87
spdy330
Major General
spdy330's Avatar
United_States
100
Rep
6,074
Posts

 
Drives: 05 Tundra, 11 M3, 08 Odyssey
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chino, CA

iTrader: (161)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to spdy330 Send a message via Yahoo to spdy330
Out of fun I had to do this Sean05

i like my M Performance... it feels OEM.. and sounds better than OEM... :LOL:

Now we have just confused him even more


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean05 View Post
i like my AKRA... it feels OEM.. and sounds better than OEM... :LOL:
__________________
If you will be purchasing ANY AT&T services online or in store could you mention that you were referred by me? My Employee Referral ID is eo4489. This would be a great help and it costs you nothing, thank you!
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:25 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST