BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

01-12-2009, 06:11 PM   #45
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Maybe a used SL65? That thing is a freaking monster.
      01-12-2009, 07:34 PM   #46
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
I might get flamed for this but I am finding the excessive rev range that the new M3 has to be really tiring and harder to use in day to day driving.

Maybe I am more use to it's power now but I feel unless you are wringing it's neck the performance is pretty average and in most situations it's hard to get to that final 1300revs which unlocks all that true potential. It might be the weather causing the roads to be excessively greasy but I am finding it hard to see the point in a 8300rpm red line.

I know it's sure to be great on the track but as these cars are used 99.5% of the time on the road I just find it a hindrance. Does anyone else feel the same way.
I love my M but I can see where you're coming from. At times, I feel the same way.

When you on it though, it's something else.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2009, 07:34 PM   #47
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini330zhp View Post
Get a DINAN REAR 4.10s if you have a Manual. If your have DCT I think Dinan has 3.62s
Definitely one of my next major mods.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2009, 07:38 PM   #48
waremark
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 Coupe DCT

I consider that the E92 goes pretty swiftly without using the top end of the rev range.

I came from an E46 M3. By comparison, low down torque is much better in the E92, and this is combined with an even more thrilling top end. In a comparison with the C63 (the engine of which is also fantastic), I missed the rush that you get at the top end in the M3 more than I appreciated the extra low down torque of the C63.

So I am really happy with BMW's set of compromises in today's M3.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2009, 07:41 PM   #49
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep

I have 6MT, and I feel DCT is the best way to get maximum performance and usability from the engine for A DD. It really allows you to stay in the car's power band much easier. It just rev's so fast.

Footie - Maybe pick-up another car and keep the M?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2009, 08:35 PM   #50
attbimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3, '88 E30 M3

I understand wanting more low end torque, but that usually means you give up the high RPM rush that is just intoxicating. For me it is much more rewarding having the high RPM rush there when I want to get on it rather than the initial low end torque pull followed by an ultimate let down once I reach the higher RPMs.
      01-12-2009, 08:55 PM   #51
Stunnerable
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nissan Rogue, 09 Jet Black M3

you want torque go with the 335d.. 428lb-ft of torque. That would have been a much better choice for you.. you would have also saved a ton.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2009, 09:07 PM   #52
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Pretty average? Compared to what? Even at 4/10's the car is pretty special. Wondering what you are used to driving.

There comes a point with every car I've owned that you get in it and drive it without realizing you're driving it. I have not yet gotten there with this car... as a matter of fact, I don't even use the stereo.

Every time I get behind the wheel I am a kid with a new toy... and loving every minute of it.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2009, 09:58 PM   #53
M2381
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, GTI

I've always loved high revving cars which is one of the main reasons I bought the M. That being said I will admit that I wish there was more low end torque but I'm sure that it could be helped with some mods.
      01-12-2009, 10:23 PM   #54
Krueger///M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 HPF 2.5, 2008 M3 (Sold)

Garage List
2002 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
Audi
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2009, 11:40 PM   #55
lincoln
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Melbourne Red Coupe - DCT

I'm coming from a P car that had 258 @ 4600 so this M will feel like a Z06 to me...
      01-12-2009, 11:49 PM   #56
Mischievous M
First Lieutenant
Brunei
Rep
Drives: BMW (E92) M3 & 2004 JCW MCS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Get one of the new supercharger kits, map it for a flat torque curve and you wont be so tired anymore promise
Hey... Now thats an interesting idea! S/C sounds pretty sweet to me. wouldn't mind hanging out for one either late this year or mid next year. Just not sure about the local technical know how here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advskier View Post
Let's see.
Over 3500RPM the M3 is more powerful than most cars on the road. It will light up it's tires easily in the first 2 gears from almost anywhere in it's rev range. And you are bored with it?

Are you writing this from jail?
Haha... hilarious statement "Are you writing from jail? i just spat out my coffee thanks to your random comment. I certainly am not bored of the ///M.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 12:19 AM   #57
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini330zhp View Post
Get a DINAN REAR 4.10s if you have a Manual. If your have DCT I think Dinan has 3.62s
I don't think that's the answer to the problem. Without going into details, gearing doesn't buy you a whole bunch unless you're cruising in high gear. Going through the gears in everyday part-throttle driving, it essentially buys you nothing.

Footie can tell me if I'm in error, but I think the real issue is that there is no way you can enjoy stealthy speed in this car.

It's a little sullen below 2000 rpm, willing in the mid 2s, eager at 3000 and joyous from 4000 to redline. This pretty much guarantees that there's some effort involved in going quickly, manifested mostly in noise. Granted, it's good noise - music, even - but there's no way you're going to motor away without notice. If you want the good stuff, you're going to have to chase after it.

Although it's not a dog in the lower ranges, effortless speed is not really possible in this car, and sometimes effortless speed is just what you want.

Bruce
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 01:05 AM   #58
spyderco10
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3 6MT

I wish the redline was 15,000 rpm like on my bike
- John 3:16
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 01:19 AM   #59
Dan73
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: ↑ Not that ↑

Quote:
Originally Posted by daltonnnn View Post

If you think 8300 is high, you probably won't be into sport bikes. Mine has a 12k limiter, which is a blast getting up there.

600cc Ninja's have a 16,500 redline
      01-13-2009, 01:47 AM   #60
mixja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 DCT Silverstone

footie - I think it's time for some mods...

A down pipe will open up some low down torque, the 3.62 Dinan diff will give you a lot more acceleration in gear, especially lower gears. ECU remap should help as well. Combine all three and I don't think you'll ever complain again.

I know what you are saying - I have a loan MT M3 and I honestly have become bored of it within a month...my old RS4 was a much better daily driver, more torque (modified with downpipes), shorter gearing...

I'm getting a DCT like you - my impression from my short drive was that the shorter gearing from 3rd onwards did make the car feel quite a bit more responsive for daily driving compared to the MT....
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 02:03 AM   #61
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast. View Post
I don't think that's the answer to the problem. Without going into details, gearing doesn't buy you a whole bunch unless you're cruising in high gear. Going through the gears in everyday part-throttle driving, it essentially buys you nothing.

Footie can tell me if I'm in error, but I think the real issue is that there is no way you can enjoy stealthy speed in this car.

It's a little sullen below 2000 rpm, willing in the mid 2s, eager at 3000 and joyous from 4000 to redline. This pretty much guarantees that there's some effort involved in going quickly, manifested mostly in noise. Granted, it's good noise - music, even - but there's no way you're going to motor away without notice. If you want the good stuff, you're going to have to chase after it.

Although it's not a dog in the lower ranges, effortless speed is not really possible in this car, and sometimes effortless speed is just what you want.

Bruce
You have said exactly what I have been trying to say in all of my posts on this thread I started.

To really enjoy this car you have to be wringing it's neck which is great the 5% of the time you get to do it but for the rest it's engine feels pretty average when compared to a good turbo unit like in the 335i or even the new S4. An example is the length of the gear speeds, 3rd takes you to over 100mph, 4th to about 130mph and there three more gears to play with.

The wife's GTI has nothing like the poke that the M3 has even when it's on part throttle but because of the way the power is delivered it feels so much stronger and effortless. You flex your toe and you get a response which you don't really feel the same way in the M3. I took the manager out in it to show what the car was like and he wasn't that impressed, until he looked at the speedo. I got him an edition 30 GTI last year and to him from the passenger seat it felt like an aeroplane, very linear in it's delivery which didn't provide any frills until near the end of the rev range.

And that's from a biker who rides a Blackbird, he prefers his Golf and I can kind of feel the same way. We'll see what the good weather bring and hopefully this opinion changes.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 02:36 AM   #62
argonboy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 Space Gray

Get an aftermarket exhaust, you'll know why you're revving up the engine
      01-13-2009, 06:56 AM   #63
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderco10 View Post
I wish the redline was 15,000 rpm like on my bike

A V8 screaming at 15k rpms would definitely be a sound.........

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 07:01 AM   #64
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
You have said exactly what I have been trying to say in all of my posts on this thread I started.

To really enjoy this car you have to be wringing it's neck which is great the 5% of the time you get to do it but for the rest it's engine feels pretty average when compared to a good turbo unit like in the 335i or even the new S4. An example is the length of the gear speeds, 3rd takes you to over 100mph, 4th to about 130mph and there three more gears to play with.

The wife's GTI has nothing like the poke that the M3 has even when it's on part throttle but because of the way the power is delivered it feels so much stronger and effortless. You flex your toe and you get a response which you don't really feel the same way in the M3. I took the manager out in it to show what the car was like and he wasn't that impressed, until he looked at the speedo. I got him an edition 30 GTI last year and to him from the passenger seat it felt like an aeroplane, very linear in it's delivery which didn't provide any frills until near the end of the rev range.

And that's from a biker who rides a Blackbird, he prefers his Golf and I can kind of feel the same way. We'll see what the good weather bring and hopefully this opinion changes.
Footie,

Seriously, I think its time you looked at dumping the //M and grabbing either a 335i or going the S4/C63 route. You don't sound 100% satisfied and these cars are WAY TOO MUCH MONEY for you not to be satisfied. But I know you will miss the long battles with SWAMP so maybe that is affecting your decision

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 07:11 AM   #65
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:

Maybe you need one of these

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 07:14 AM   #66
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by argonboy View Post
Get an aftermarket exhaust, you'll know why you're revving up the engine
If you do, make sure the company posts gains. I installed a Remus race muffler and I'm positive I lost low end torque. It was very noticeable

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0