BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

09-05-2011, 07:04 PM   #1
Trevor .:R
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 ZCP DCT

Garage List
11 M3  [10.00]
Turner Test pipe Questions!

Hey guys i was planning on going down the boost route but i only have an axleback exhaust wise.. i was told i would want full exhaust or the cats cut atleast to get maximum power. At the moment i have a Rpi GTM axleback but the full gtm was loud... my buddies gave me options of selling and buying a new exhaust or investing into turner test pipes i would really love some input. I have done research on all this looked for videos but cant really find to much also would the gains not be as much as a full x pipe? and does the turner pipe only cut primary or both sets of cats ? Thanks for all the advice!
      09-06-2011, 06:03 AM   #2
xilli
Resident kangaroo salesman
Australia
Rep
Drives: R8 V10 / VW Amarok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor .:R View Post
Hey guys i was planning on going down the boost route but i only have an axleback exhaust wise.. i was told i would want full exhaust or the cats cut atleast to get maximum power. At the moment i have a Rpi GTM axleback but the full gtm was loud... my buddies gave me options of selling and buying a new exhaust or investing into turner test pipes i would really love some input. I have done research on all this looked for videos but cant really find to much also would the gains not be as much as a full x pipe? and does the turner pipe only cut primary or both sets of cats ? Thanks for all the advice!
Basically, the test pipes remove the primary 400cell cats which are the major restrictive factor in the system. You will find if you look at dyno results between an aftermarket HFC X-Pipe and a standard pipe with the primaries removed there is a slight difference in power, but many (including myself) will argue the extra amount isn't worth the $2000+ extra price tag.

I have coupled a Gintani race rear with the x-pipes, RPI scoops, BMC filter and an Evolve stage 2 tune on 98ron and the car feels absolutely amazing! It's almost like jumping into a different car, it's far more exciting and thrilling to drive hard.

This is obviously just my opinion, i'd much rather save the 2k and put it towards an ESS S/C Kit then drop it on a new length of pipe which you already have that does a perfectly fine job.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 08:33 PM   #3
Trevor .:R
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 ZCP DCT

Garage List
11 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xilli View Post
Basically, the test pipes remove the primary 400cell cats which are the major restrictive factor in the system. You will find if you look at dyno results between an aftermarket HFC X-Pipe and a standard pipe with the primaries removed there is a slight difference in power, but many (including myself) will argue the extra amount isn't worth the $2000+ extra price tag.

I have coupled a Gintani race rear with the x-pipes, RPI scoops, BMC filter and an Evolve stage 2 tune on 98ron and the car feels absolutely amazing! It's almost like jumping into a different car, it's far more exciting and thrilling to drive hard.

This is obviously just my opinion, i'd much rather save the 2k and put it towards an ESS S/C Kit then drop it on a new length of pipe which you already have that does a perfectly fine job.
Sounds mean! i assume you have never used the turner test pipes though? thanks for all the input btw!
      09-06-2011, 08:47 PM   #4
GreasyGinzo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 AW 6MT M3(Totaled)

you could do the turner test pipes and the sosi xpipe and still be cheaper than a full aftermarket xpipe. Or even cheaper get the Turner pipes and hollow out the secondaries.
      09-06-2011, 08:54 PM   #5
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGinzo View Post
you could do the turner test pipes and the sosi xpipe and still be cheaper than a full aftermarket xpipe. Or even cheaper get the Turner pipes and hollow out the secondaries.
that would be way too loud...

he would have no resonators, cats...nothing.....

But he would have maximum power gain, that's for sure!

The TTS (turner test pipes) replace the restricting 400 cell primaries

your 200cell and resonators are untouched

You will basically have a Challenge Sport X pipe, except instead of spending $2k, you would have spent only a couple hundred bucks
BIG difference

Now, the Challenge will prly give more power, but is the power worth the cost? That's up to debate.... but for me, I would say no

I would have gotten TTS if I did not need the weight savings of the Akra...and e93 is a heavy boat...so I need to lose weight!
though at times I think maybe I should sell the Akra X pipe and get TTS and use that $$ towards a supercharger.... or BBK..

next step: I physically start losing weight! lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 03:01 AM   #6
xilli
Resident kangaroo salesman
Australia
Rep
Drives: R8 V10 / VW Amarok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor .:R View Post
Sounds mean! i assume you have never used the turner test pipes though? thanks for all the input btw!
Sorry i should have clarified that! I didn't use the TTP, i got them fabricated by a local shop myself but they are exactly the same. Since i'm in Australia it proved cheaper then buying from the US and shipping it here
Appreciate 0