BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

09-29-2011, 06:07 AM   #1
michaelthepsycho
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 11 Montego Blue E90 335i Step

Anyone owned both a ZX-6R and a Ducati Superbike before?

I'm contemplating the switch. It's going to be about $4,500 if trading in for new 848 Evo and probably an even trade if swapping for a used 848 / 1x98.

I love the Ninja and it's a great bike in the twisties. Even the Ducati folks say the Superbikes aren't as great as the Japanese Big Four but a L-twin is insanely attractive for a street bike with all that low-down torque.

Any owners here?
      09-29-2011, 06:10 AM   #2
michaelthepsycho
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Pictures

Just on looks alone, the Italian is insanely sexy!
Attached Images

09-29-2011, 10:11 AM   #3
Silver-Bolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is Melbourne Red

Garage List
2011 Z4 35is  [9.00]
Ride the Duc before you buy one. One size does not fit all. I can't get confortable on the Duc's. Aprilia on the other hand fits like a glove. Now that the Aprilia RSV4 is out the V-Twin RSV's are insanely cheap to buy. Far less to maintain than the Duc's too.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 12:32 PM   #4
Bartman619
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

....Kawi's and most other Japanese motorcycles don't need periodic valve adjustments because they are hydraulic. Ducati needs periodic Desmodromic Valve Adjustments..about every 6K. I hear it's a pain in the neck and the wallet.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 12:57 PM   #5
tekmoe
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

Those aren't street bikes. A Ducati Streetfighter is a street bike.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 01:55 PM   #6
gferil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

Definitely go take one out for a longer ride (20-30 mins) if possible, maybe at a dealer? I haven't owned a 636 but compared to the Suzuki's, Yamaha's, and Honda's I've owned, the Ducati superbike is on a different level in so many areas. But as someone mentioned above, take it for a ride because they can be uncomfortable depending on your body geometry. The only reason I got rid of mine is because it would just hurt like hell after being on it for more than 30 minutes.

Other than that, it assulted each of your senses like no other bike...the sounds, smell, feel, how sexy they look...was just on a higher level than any other bike brand I've ridden. I guess the best analogy would be like how people say the M division of BMW creates an overall better driver's car experience compared to say...an AMG or S line of other brands...same thing with the Ducati superbikes...each one I've been on has just felt so natural in the twisties and gave such a great feeling even in normal city driving.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 05:29 PM   #7
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Please please please get it in white
      09-30-2011, 01:19 AM   #8
Diavel Tom
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Had a '09 ZX10R.....currently own a '11 Diavel.

Have ridden my friends 1098 many times. The Duc is more aggressive regarding riding position than my 10R was, and the bike totally involves you in the experience. Nothing like a L twin superbike in my opinion.

If I weren't getting old and fat, I would be putting my money down on the new 1199 coming out in '12.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 01:36 AM   #9
michaelthepsycho
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
Diavel[/B] Tom;10520458]Had a '09 ZX10R.....currently own a '11 Diavel.

Have ridden my friends 1098 many times. The Duc is more aggressive regarding riding position than my 10R was, and the bike totally involves you in the experience. Nothing like a L twin superbike in my opinion.

If I weren't getting old and fat, I would be putting my money down on the new 1199 coming out in '12.
I sat on a 848 today. It was pretty comfortable... Going for a test ride elsewhere tomorrow cause Bert's don't allow no demos...

Fucking motorsports =_= What a money pit.
      09-30-2011, 10:04 AM   #10
Bcube
Been there, wrecked that.
Rep
Drives: '07 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelthepsycho View Post
I sat on a 848 today. It was pretty comfortable... Going for a test ride elsewhere tomorrow cause Bert's don't allow no demos...

Man, it's been awhile since I've been to Berts. I bought a lot of apparel there, but never enjoyed their high pressure sales tactics with folks that don't really know their product. Try Socal Triumph/Ducati on Lambert off the 57. More of a "family" atmosphere dealership, and they know their bikes. Might even have a demo.

Although I never owned a Duck, I did managned to wrangle a factory tour at their facility in Bologna. Ended with a tour of their museum. Glad I went.
Attached Images

09-30-2011, 12:13 PM   #11
Diavel Tom
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:

Agree....if I ever truly ran the numbers I have spent on bikes and gear, I am sure I could have bought a nice vacation spot in Fiji!

Good luck....resistance is futile.....
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 03:27 PM   #12
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

I currently own a Blue 09 ZX-6R and am ordering a 2012 S1000RR come next season. The 848 Evo's riding position just wasn't for me.

Not sure if you've joined ZX6R.com, but another you can get some non bias opinions from them as well. Good people.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 08:32 PM   #13
michaelthepsycho
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
I currently own a Blue 09 ZX-6R and am ordering a 2012 S1000RR come next season. The 848 Evo's riding position just wasn't for me.

Not sure if you've joined ZX6R.com, but another you can get some non bias opinions from them as well. Good people.
I also sat on a used S1000RR yesterday and the controls felt cheap even though it's a bad-ass bike. Is the 2012 getting updates?
      09-30-2011, 08:35 PM   #14
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I also sat on a used S1000RR yesterday and the controls felt cheap even though it's a bad-ass bike. Is the 2012 getting updates?
Yep. New colors and suspension tweaks. The class leading engine is staying because well, nobody has been able to match it yet. In my opinion, the controls felt much better then my ZX-6R does. Everything on the bike just felt tighter and well thought out. Hitting my signal to turn right is hassle on the 6R.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 04:50 AM   #15
ImSW1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

I had a 998 Bostrum replica, great bike, but they put their power down so much differently than the inline 4s. That and the maintenance costs were just too much for me. I do wish I had have kept it just for the paint job.

I also had a Suzuki TL1000R and Aprilia Mille-R, it took me a while to work out the v-twin wasn't for me. Great 2nd gear power wheelies though.

Sean
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 08:41 AM   #16
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

I've had both at the same time. Or at least an R6 and a 1098. Both were awesome. Completely different but I liked the R6 better. It's way easier to ride fast and it didn't cook my nuts at stoplights. More comfortable too IMO. Still, I'd have a hard time NOT swithcing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 12:25 PM   #17
michaelthepsycho
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImSW1 View Post
I also had a Suzuki TL1000R and Aprilia Mille-R, it took me a while to work out the v-twin wasn't for me. Great 2nd gear power wheelies though.

Sean
Why? Power delivery? Have to shift a lot? I'm already always in sixth on the street anyway.
      10-01-2011, 02:17 PM   #18
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

While I currently ride a yamaha r-1, may I suggest a cbr 1000r. Off the showroom floor, the bike is nearly as nimble as a 600, and plenty of torque down low relative to the 848. The cbr is priced competively with the 848, and generally regarded as the most reliable liter bike on the market.

I suspect most adrenaline junkies prefer an inline 4 because of the sensation of speed/acceleration when or hit the top of the rev range, especially on a 600 that feels pretty tame until you reach 8,000 - 9,000 rpms, then explodes with power. This is fun on the street, but sometimes an issue on the track when you're pushing 10/10ths. Can you say high side!

On the flip side, the 848 v-twin pulls at (what feels like) a constant rate. What some people describe as "no surprises". In reality, because there's no rush in acceleration, you can find yourself going a lot faster than you think. If you're a skilled rider, this is good. If you're new to riding, you will in all likelihood discover this in a turn. Touch your front brake and and you will discover what the pavement feels like at speed.

All this being said, and while it may seem contrary to what I said above, I would encourage you to investigate the cbr. With the cbr you get the best and worst of both bikes. In other words, it comes down to the rider. Use you brain, control your right wrist and pick your moments carefully and you'll have a blast and avoid the ER.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 02:20 PM   #19
miiipilot
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 Brooklyn Grey 6mt

I love the look of any Duc sportbike, but I would never buy one. The "comfort" is just not there. I know sportbikes are NOT supposed to be comfy, but sitting on a block of wood for more than 10 minutes hurts. Friend has one and I laugh every time he has to take it in, it's ridiculous. I had my '05 R1 for 6 years and I just had routine maintenance only.

Not to thread jack, but i've been on the fence about a new bike. Probably my last sportbike. I'm getting older. S1000RR is my top choice so far. The new Kaw ZX-10r looks sweet and a little less expensive. But the bike I want to see the most is the Aprilia RSV4 R APRC. Has anyone seen this bike? I cannot find one dealer around me that has it on the floor.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 03:23 PM   #20
michaelthepsycho
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Farmer View Post
The cbr is priced competively with the 848, and generally regarded as the most reliable liter bike on the market.

I suspect most adrenaline junkies prefer an inline 4 because of the sensation of speed/acceleration when or hit the top of the rev range, especially on a 600 that feels pretty tame until you reach 8,000 - 9,000 rpms, then explodes with power. This is fun on the street, but sometimes an issue on the track when you're pushing 10/10ths. Can you say high side!

On the flip side, the 848 v-twin pulls at (what feels like) a constant rate. What some people describe as "no surprises". In reality, because there's no rush in acceleration, you can find yourself going a lot faster than you think. If you're a skilled rider, this is good. If you're new to riding, you will in all likelihood discover this in a turn. Touch your front brake and and you will discover what the pavement feels like at speed.

All this being said, and while it may seem contrary to what I said above, I would encourage you to investigate the cbr. With the cbr you get the best and worst of both bikes. In other words, it comes down to the rider. Use you brain, control your right wrist and pick your moments carefully and you'll have a blast and avoid the ER.
I'm already 80, 90 in the mountains and hanging off (not crossed) with no mid-turn braking. I don't want a liter-bike, cause as much displacement as the 848 has, it's still in the supersport category, technically. A test ride is in order on Monday cause comfort is all that really matters. The ZX-6R is pretty okay in that department, especially with the StompGrip pads. I'm sure the CBR's ergo is good too, according to reviews.
      10-01-2011, 05:20 PM   #21
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

I completely respect your decision to stick with a supersport. With that in mind, I would personally favor the Duck. There's nothing like a v-twin in the mountains, and I've found the front end of all kawasaki I've ridden to be a bit vague. Not the most confidence inspiring situation to have on a downhill decreasing radius corner. Only know of two downsides with the Ducati... 1) Schedule maintenance intervals' and 2) it attracts squids and much as it does women.

Oh, one other thing to mention about the Ducati... Assuming the engine configuration is the same as the 1098, oil from the engine will backfill into your air box if you ride the back wheel for more than a few hundred feet. I don't know the exact reason, but I witnessed my buddy leave a blue smoke trail down a backroad while goofing around. It's definitely not a bike for hooligans.

Good luck and ride safe.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 05:45 PM   #22
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Farmer View Post
While I currently ride a yamaha r-1, may I suggest a cbr 1000r. Off the showroom floor, the bike is nearly as nimble as a 600, and plenty of torque down low relative to the 848. The cbr is priced competively with the 848, and generally regarded as the most reliable liter bike on the market.

He's better off keeping the 6R. It's been the class leader ever since 09.
Appreciate 0