BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Mporium BMW

02-21-2015, 03:27 PM   #1
JH M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP Azurite Black

Leaking Nozzle During Brake Flush

So I just flushed my brakes today using a Motive bleeder and all was going well until I got to the driver's side front brake. After connecting the catch bottle and loosening the screw, the brake fluid started oozing out of the base of the nozzle and no fluid was coming out of the top. I did notice that the rubber cap was already off when I got underneath the car so I thought that maybe it was clogged with debris. I tried clearing it out with a narrow pick but nothing changed. Here is a pic of the problem. Anybody have any suggestions for a fix? Hopefully I don't have to replace the whole caliper. The brakes were last serviced by the dealer under warranty. Maybe they damaged it in some way?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2015, 05:30 PM   #2
rantarM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Maybe remove the bleeder screw completely and check it for obstructions. If it is damaged perhaps you can just buy a new one. It sounds llike it is just clogged.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2015, 05:38 PM   #3
JH M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantarM3 View Post
Maybe remove the bleeder screw completely and check it for obstructions. If it is damaged perhaps you can just buy a new one. It sounds llike it is just clogged.
Thanks. Sounds like it may be a little messy but I guess the key is to do everything quickly. Bleeder screws are cheap so maybe I'll just replace it rather than fumbling around with trying to clear the original one out.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 11:12 AM   #4
rantarM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

You want to be careful to not get the brake fluid on the pads and rotor after younremove the bleeder screw and fluid starts leking out. Obviously you'll not pressurize the system with the Motive bleeder. I've also used aluminum foil to wrap up surrounding areas and keep the mess to a minimum. Good luck and please post back with the outcome.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 05:04 PM   #5
JH M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantarM3 View Post
You want to be careful to not get the brake fluid on the pads and rotor after younremove the bleeder screw and fluid starts leking out. Obviously you'll not pressurize the system with the Motive bleeder. I've also used aluminum foil to wrap up surrounding areas and keep the mess to a minimum. Good luck and please post back with the outcome.
Thanks for the tip. I'll probably take care of it next weekend and post the results.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 12:25 AM   #6
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
To prevent brake fluid from running out when you replace the bleeder screw, make sure your brake pedal is depressed half way or more.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 05:34 AM   #7
JH M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddylo View Post
To prevent brake fluid from running out when you replace the bleeder screw, make sure your brake pedal is depressed half way or more.
Won't that pressurize the system and cause more fluid to come out?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 11:15 AM   #8
TXmtrhed
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH M3 View Post
Won't that pressurize the system and cause more fluid to come out?
Normally you would open a bleeder screw first but since the offending bleeder is clogged you would have to open another one. But really, so little fluid will come out when changing the bleeder that I would just swap out, bleed and clean up.
      03-07-2015, 01:29 PM   #9
JH M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I just replaced my clogged bleeder screw today. As you can see, the hole at the bottom of the screw was completely clogged up. Just goes to show how important the rubber cap is. Overall it was a very easy swap. Once I had the old one loose I quickly unscrewed it by hand and replaced it with the new one. Only a little brake fluid ended up dribbling out. Once replaced, I hooked up my empty Motive bleeder and pressurized the system, bleeding just enough to make sure that what was coming out of that caliper was clean. I found that during my initial bleeding, the Motive tends to overfill the reservoir so mine was already slightly overfilled which prevented me from having to open a new bottle of fluid.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0