BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

03-20-2016, 12:12 PM   #23
OnlySoMany
The White Devil
Rep
Drives: 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia QV

Having a hard time deciding between mpe and Dinan. Been debating for weeks. Dinan seems to have a lower rumble, but the mpe has an aggressive subtle rasp. So hard to choose!

2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport - Trofeo White Tri Coat - The Daily Driver
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 12:30 PM   #24
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage & others

I have it, it's absolutely fantastic. Perfect sound, but I also have the tune and carbon fiber intake by Dinan.
Appreciate 1
rks68rt65.00
      03-20-2016, 02:44 PM   #25
GVIFlyer
Large Member
Rep
Drives: '19 Porsche C2S Cab_M3 DCT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddalun View Post
Do you have a copy of the film?
Not yet. It's in post production and hasn't been released. My M3 and I are in the track portion as well. There is going to be a private screening before it goes into general release. If I look good in it I will post a clip here.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 09:24 PM   #26
OnlySoMany
The White Devil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa View Post
I have it, it's absolutely fantastic. Perfect sound, but I also have the tune and carbon fiber intake by Dinan.
Post a sound clip

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 10:08 PM   #27
Lunker325
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5M / 991.2 C4S

I bought my car with the Dinan exhaust, intake and software already installed. Love the sound of the exhaust. No drone, and perfect amount of volume for me.

The fake tips do not bother me, all of mine look the same, no discoloration or anything else to note.
      03-20-2016, 10:13 PM   #28
OnlySoMany
The White Devil
Rep

The only thing that gets me is the black tips. I don't understand why Dinan did that unless to hide tips better when using a diffuser. Can anyone post pics of their Dinan exhaust from the rear?

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 11:06 PM   #29
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

I actually like the black tips with Dinan etched on it. It's awesome. I'll try to get a picture here tomorrow.
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2016, 06:38 AM   #30
GVIFlyer
Large Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlySoMany View Post
Post a sound clip
Found on the interwebs:

E92 M3 DINAN Exhaust Prestige BMW Performance Center
https://youtu.be/PA_fAPuQt0Q

E90 M3 with stock exhaust vs Dinan rear exhaust vs Dinan rear exhaust with Active Autowerke X-pipe
https://youtu.be/-SZ_eAEFJg0
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 08:34 AM   #31
OnlySoMany
The White Devil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVFlyer View Post
Found on the interwebs:

E92 M3 DINAN Exhaust Prestige BMW Performance Center
https://youtu.be/PA_fAPuQt0Q

E90 M3 with stock exhaust vs Dinan rear exhaust vs Dinan rear exhaust with Active Autowerke X-pipe
https://youtu.be/-SZ_eAEFJg0
I know, but there are a few that make me think otherwise

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 12:27 PM   #32
eddunn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 m3

Garage List
2008 e92 m3  [0.00]
I would suggest finding someone close to you with either exhaust, so you can hear it in person. Hearing comparison vids in your computer or phone, even with a good quality recording, do not do any exhaust system justice.

Also, with the MPE, I believe they have a cracking issue with the first gen, not sure about subsequent runs. It also costs about twice as much as the Dinan.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 06:58 PM   #33
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

Excuse the dirt, it snowed here today
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 07:04 PM   #34
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

Close up
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 07:20 PM   #35
RickP
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Comp/DCT

MPE here and love it. One thing I did on mine was remove the inside black paint by using a wire brush attached to a power drill. The black paint was hiding the contours inside the pipe and gives the MPE more depth when looking at it from behind.

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 07:54 PM   #36
GVIFlyer
Large Member
Rep

Here's mine.

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 08:13 PM   #37
modkrazy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Yes, and it's awesome. Full Dinan best sound I found after long experimentation at great loss.

The GT2 was awesome but too loud.

Quote:
Having a hard time deciding between mpe and Dinan. Been debating for weeks. Dinan seems to have a lower rumble, but the mpe has an aggressive subtle rasp. So hard to choose!
If you plan on modifying the mid-section, I wouldn't go with the MPE because the rasp is just too much for me. Subtle is the last word that you would use to describe it. Also, try to get a newer one since the earlier batches crack on occasion.

Quote:
The only thing that gets me is the black tips. I don't understand why Dinan did that unless to hide tips better when using a diffuser. Can anyone post pics of their Dinan exhaust from the rear?
I would assume because only the inner two pipes are functional, and the outside ones are dummies. If you had any color but black, the real pipes would quickly discolor and be different from the dummy pipes.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 08:30 PM   #38
malrash
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 M5 CS

Asking another person for exhaust preference is like asking for ice cream preference. Everyone will have unique tastes. The dinan sounds aggressive, in that it's heavier in the lower octaves. The MPE has a wider wavelength spectrum but is almost OEM like in lower frequencies. You'll need to hear both in person or experience them serially before settling on the one you like better. My 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 08:33 PM   #39
OnlySoMany
The White Devil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickP View Post
MPE here and love it. One thing I did on mine was remove the inside black paint by using a wire brush attached to a power drill. The black paint was hiding the contours inside the pipe and gives the MPE more depth when looking at it from behind.

Vids? Looks awesome

Quote:
Here's mine.

See response above. See why this is so hard? They both look great

Quote:
Originally Posted by modkrazy View Post
Yes, and it's awesome. Full Dinan best sound I found after long experimentation at great loss.

The GT2 was awesome but too loud.

If you plan on modifying the mid-section, I wouldn't go with the MPE because the rasp is just too much for me. Subtle is the last word that you would use to describe it. Also, try to get a newer one since the earlier batches crack on occasion.

I would assume because only the inner two pipes are functional, and the outside ones are dummies. If you had any color but black, the real pipes would quickly discolor and be different from the dummy pipes.
Never though about that but makes total sense. I have read about the first version having issues, but I would assume the dealer is now only selling the gen 2? I plan on keeping the mid section stock. Only want a bit more aggressive sound and these two seem to be the best systems for that

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 09:38 PM   #40
monterey
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Do the dinan exhaust install by one side at a time? It looks difficult to juggle both sides at once.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 09:49 PM   #41
GVIFlyer
Large Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by malrash View Post
Asking another person for exhaust preference is like asking for ice cream preference. Everyone will have unique tastes. The dinan sounds aggressive, in that it's heavier in the lower octaves. The MPE has a wider wavelength spectrum but is almost OEM like in lower frequencies. You'll need to hear both in person or experience them serially before settling on the one you like better. My 2 cents.
I had a BMW MPE on my last E93 M3. It cracked, I suspect due in part to its inconel content. Another consideration should be that there is no performance gain with the M Performance Exhaust. The Dinan Free Flow Exhaust gives you 6 horsepower and 5 lb-ft of torque. The Akrapovič exhaust system gives you a whopping 22.2 hp and 21.9 ft. lbs of torque.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 09:52 PM   #42
malrash
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 M5 CS

Quote:
I had a BMW MPE on my last E93 M3. It cracked, I suspect due in part to its inconel content. Another consideration should be that there is no performance gain with the M Performance Exhaust. The Dinan Free Flow Exhaust gives you 6 horsepower and 5 lb-ft of torque. The Akrapovič exhaust system gives you a whopping 22.2 hp and 21.9 ft. lbs of torque.

I call baloney on all claims of even miniscule performance gains on any cat back system. The akra figure you quote is for the full exhaust, so apples and oranges.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 10:27 PM   #43
GVIFlyer
Large Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by malrash View Post
I call baloney on all claims of even miniscule performance gains on any cat back system. The akra figure you quote is for the full exhaust, so apples and oranges.
It's apples to apples - the thrust of my statement was "Why pay $4,000 for a MPE exhaust that provides no additional horsepower or torque, when you can buy an exhaust system that will give you power gains as well as sound improvement."

I don't know how Akrapovič sbtantiates their power claims, but the folks at Walnut Creek will give you dynamometer proof of the horsepower and torque gains provided by their products.

I believe Dinan to be a trustworthy manufacturer for a number of reasons:

They share a marketing and racing relationship with BMW. The company has a long-standing relationship with the BMW dealers, allowing Dinan-modified vehicles to retain factory warranty coverage and even qualify for BMW's Certified Pre-Owned program; something lost when vehicles receive aftermarket modifications from other providers.

In addition Dinan has a history of building BMW racing engines for teams competing in the Grand-Am Rolex Sports Car Series Daytona Prototype class.

Steve Dinan builds motors for Chip Ganessi Racing while retaining a position on the Driven Performance Brand Group board.

I have used Dinan products on my BMWs with good success since Porsche priced themselves out of my market over a decade ago.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 06:38 AM   #44
RickP
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Comp/DCT

Quote:
Vids? Looks awesome
Yea, but I have test pipes installed
Appreciate 0