BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

07-26-2011, 04:09 PM   #133
driftster
Rep
Drives: m3,325,deville,f150,tsx etc

Actually it's called a Differential Oil Cooler..

A Differential cooler would be a mechanism designed to keep the temps lower on the differential itself...ex

or

or

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 04:13 PM   #134
Mprofiler
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: audi

So yes, it's not just an "oil cooler" which could mean a host of things.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 04:45 PM   #135
luckistryke
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Very very fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mprofiler View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
Ehh... the car is close to 3800 lbs. It may do very well at the track, but it's not a track car nor should it be considered one.
So your definition of a track car is based on weight? Even if the car is track capable? The M3 GTS is about 200 lbs lighter so is that a track car or is that too heavy? If the BS is track capable and puts up similar times to other "light weight track cars" then why can't it be an alternative?

If we go solely by weight then I see the 4.0 gtrs as being the real track car instead of just a regular gt3...
      07-26-2011, 04:48 PM   #136
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftster View Post
Actually it's called a Differential Oil Cooler..

A Differential cooler would be a mechanism designed to keep the temps lower on the differential itself...ex

or

or

Looks like what comes on M cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 04:54 PM   #137
driftster
Rep

It indeed is M the last one is in fact the M Diff cover.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 04:56 PM   #138
Mprofiler
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 05:28 PM   #139
driftster
Rep

Does the car give you a gay lisp too? ...jk. jk
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 06:40 PM   #140
Darth335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E92 M3 ZCP

That Track Package looks sick....still not a fan of the rear lights, but that car looks like a beast.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 08:07 PM   #141
SIIK2NR
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3

MB has really stepped up their game.... this is the first car I would ever consider with an auto tranny......even over Godzilla.
2004 AP2 S2000 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 08:36 PM   #142
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Quote:
RS and a regular GT3 to me are track cars, one just happens to be faster and lighter, but both can serve as track tools.

I'm not sure how you can come to a conclusion that just because the BS weighs more then a gt3 that it won't be as reliable on the track? You really think after a few laps that this BS will have some sort of failure due to it's weight? Bold claim you have... do you have any statistics to back it up? Btw, do you think the M3 GTS is a track car or not? Also, no reviewers has driven the BS yet so the "fun factor" point is irrelevant for now. The clk BS was considered by reviewers to be a fun to drive. I don't see why this car would be different.
Black Series cars I believe are very strong. I would expect this one to be the same, and durable at track use.
      07-26-2011, 10:34 PM   #143
driftster
Rep

The question is, does the brake venting still only vent correctly on ONE side causing uneven brake fade..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 07:02 AM   #144
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
In the end, you really don't know how the weight will effect the reliability of the BS on the track. Thank you.
You're welcome.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 07:12 AM   #145
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
RS and a regular GT3 to me are track cars, one just happens to be faster and lighter, but both can serve as track tools.

I'm not sure how you can come to a conclusion that just because the BS weighs more then a gt3 that it won't be as reliable on the track? You really think after a few laps that this BS will have some sort of failure due to it's weight? Bold claim you have... do you have any statistics to back it up? Btw, do you think the M3 GTS is a track car or not? Also, no reviewers has driven the BS yet so the "fun factor" point is irrelevant for now. The clk BS was considered by reviewers to be a fun to drive. I don't see why this car would be different.
I didn't said it wouldn't be reliable. It is fair to say that weight will take its toll over time. You completely dismiss weight as a factor. Throwing a 3750 lb car around a track for extended periods has its effect on incidental parts over time. I am sure this car is up to the task but I am also sure the owner will be addressing issues sooner than they would with a lighter car. If this was "track car" then MB would have taken the steps to make it lighter. Even at minimal cost; like less insulation, etc.... Its market is the owner who wants an ultra performance car, with luxury, and some sound deadening, which can do occasional track duty. That may be an awesome car (which this is) but that does not make it a track car.

You seem to like bringing up the GT3/RS thing. I would consider a GT3 what a street 911 should be. That is why I bought it. I would consider the RS more track focused, but at the end of the day it is still a street car. I chose a little more street-ability as track time is not important to me.

Our "street" and "track" definitions appear to differ. All of these cars are street cars. Again, no need to get all defensive about a car. You have you opinion, I have mine. I wouldn't buy the Benz if I was a track junkie. I would buy it to have one bad azz mofo that could whip the occasional track day. Unless of course money is no object because maintaining a hardcore tracked BS will be costly in the years to come, just like a GTR is.

Last edited by devo; 07-27-2011 at 10:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 10:41 AM   #146
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

^ Cheers!

Now a Cup car, that's a track car.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 11:07 AM   #147
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
You and I are nearly always on the same page, and we can chalk it up that way again. It doesnt matter how much cooling, etc you have, a bigger car is going to put more stress on its components than a lighter car. Theres a reason why the more serious a track car you get or race car focus on weight instead of power.
There are ALMS GT2 class cars (cars built based on street going cars) that have more power in their street version (GT3 RS 4.0 for example), yet the race cars are significantly lighter than their street going versions, because at the end of the day, weight is a key component to racing/tracking and longevity/durability...
I believe you and devo are both incorrect. It's not a durability issue, except for tires, and possibly brakes. All the suspension components, etc. are correctly sized from the factory to take the extra weight.

The reason track cars are light is because they accelerate better, brake better and corner better with minimum weight for any power level.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 11:43 AM   #148
Mprofiler
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I didn't said it wouldn't be reliable.It is fair to say that weight will take its toll over time. You completely dismiss weight as a factor. Throwing a 3750 lb car around a track for extended periods has its effect on incidental parts over time. I am sure this car is up to the task but I am also sure the owner will be addressing issues sooner than they would with a lighter car. If this was "track car" then MB would have taken the steps to make it lighter. Even at minimal cost; like less insulation, etc.... Its market is the owner who wants an ultra performance car, with luxury, and some sound deadening, which can do occasional track duty. That may be an awesome car (which this is) but that does not make it a track car.

You seem to like bringing up the GT3/RS thing. I would consider a GT3 what a street 911 should be. That is why I bought it. I would consider the RS more track focused, but at the end of the day it is still a street car. I chose a little more street-ability as track time is not important to me.

Our "street" and "track" definitions appear to differ. All of these cars are street cars. Again, no need to get all defensive about a car. You have you opinion, I have mine. I wouldn't buy the Benz if I was a track junkie. I would buy it to have one bad azz mofo that could whip the occasional track day. Unless of course money is no object because maintaining a hardcore tracked BS will be costly in the years to come, just like a GTR is.
I'm hardly defensive, I'm just replying to what you write. You can stop replying if you choose to. It won't matter to me. I'm just confused how you came up with your conclusion that this BS compared to your GT3 will be less durable when used on the track for an extended time? The engineers seem to have upgraded the cooling and other components like brakes and suspension to deal with the issue.

What you said earlier:
Quote:
but I don't know that I believe it'll be the track tool the GT3 is as the BS weighs a bit too much for repeated track abuse
Sounds to me like a durability/reliability issue or could you explain this "toll over time" thing.

I would like to know if you think the M3 GTS is a track car or not? It's 3500+ lbs

Last edited by Mprofiler; 07-27-2011 at 02:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 11:46 AM   #149
Mprofiler
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
Of course, thats a given. But fact remains, a heavier car will still go through tires, brakes, etc much faster, so longevity is a factor.
Even if the car does go through these "consumables" faster than a gt3 does not mean this car is not a track tool. Devo is saying this BS cannot be a track car at all:

Quote:
Ehh... the car is close to 3800 lbs. It may do very well at the track, but it's not a track car nor should it be considered one.
When clearly this car is upgraded for the track...

Last edited by Mprofiler; 07-27-2011 at 12:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 11:57 AM   #150
Mprofiler
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast. View Post
I believe you and devo are both incorrect. It's not a durability issue, except for tires, and possibly brakes. All the suspension components, etc. are correctly sized from the factory to take the extra weight.

The reason track cars are light is because they accelerate better, brake better and corner better with minimum weight for any power level.
+1
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 02:24 PM   #151
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Even if the car does go through these "consumables" faster than a gt3 does not mean this car is not a track tool. Devo is saying this BS cannot be a track car at all:

When clearly this car is upgraded for the track...
I didn't say it couldn't be a used as a track car; I just don't consider it what I would call a track car. I am saying that by design it is a street car with some attention to creature comforts over performance. That doesn't mean it can't be tracked and tracked well.

I have never felt the need to para-pharse someones previous statements to prove their own point. It's not like I have lied or changed my story. My basic theme has remained the same.

My opinion, again. It doesn't matter if you like it. I'll respect yours. Do the same here.

Last edited by devo; 07-27-2011 at 02:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 02:26 PM   #152
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm hardly defensive, I'm just replying to what you write. You can stop replying if you choose to. It won't matter to me. I'm just confused how you came up with your conclusion that this BS compared to your GT3 will be less durable when used on the track for an extended time? The engineers seem to have upgraded the cooling and other components like brakes and suspension to deal with the issue.

What you said earlier:

Sounds to me like a durability/reliability issue or could you explain this "toll over time" thing.

I would like to know if you think the M3 GTS is a track car or not? It's 3500+ lbs
Really? I can stop replying and it wouldn't bother you at all?

I don't define a "track car" solely by weight as you believe. My opinion on the GTS doesn't matter as I don't care enough about the car to comment.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 02:27 PM   #153
Mprofiler
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I didn't say it couldn't be a track car. I am saying that by design it is a street car with some attention to creature comforts over performance. That doesn't mean it can't be tracked and tracked well.

I don't consider this car call a "track car". My opinion, again.
You don't consider this a track car because it's not durable due to its weight is what you said basically. I was just questioning your opinion that is all.

Cheers.

Last edited by Mprofiler; 07-27-2011 at 03:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 02:29 PM   #154
Mprofiler
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Really? I can stop replying and it wouldn't bother you at all?
Of course. I mean you really don't have much to say other than the BS is heavy so therefore it's not durable on track.

Quote:
I don't define a "track car" solely by weight as you believe. My opinion on the GTS doesn't matter as I don't care enough about the car to comment.
Or that the GTS is in a similar situation as the BS and it is considered a track car.

Last edited by Mprofiler; 07-27-2011 at 02:57 PM..
Appreciate 0