BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BPM

11-21-2009, 01:57 PM   #1
pumper206
80 Deep, We All Eat!!!
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW E92 M3

Slight Shuddering/Vibration in Steering Wheel...Is it the spacers??

So I just installed my Eibach and a set of 12mm Macht Schnell spacers a couple days ago Ride is great, stance is great, and handling is even tighter then before buuuut there seems to be a slight shuddering/vibration in the steering wheel when I'm driving on the freeway(80 mph).

Thought that maybe I didn't line the spacers up correctly, so took off the front wheels and did it again. Why only the fronts? Because the rear spacers are sooo tight that I couldn't have possibly misaligned them. After remounting the spacers, I took her out for a test drive and the shudder/vibration is still there. Keep in mind that this shudder/vibration is ever so slight but enough for me to tell that it definitely wasn't there before. Also, it comes and goes. Not constant. The slight shudder/vibration feels very much like my wheels aren't balanced.

Is it the spacers? Do I need to go get my wheels re-balanced? Could it just be the road surface? What do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 02:04 PM   #2
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumper206 View Post
Keep in mind that this shudder/vibration is ever so slight but enough for me to tell that it definitely wasn't there before. Also, it comes and goes. Not constant.
My car feels like that, and don't have spacers. It's ever so slightly, and as you said, not constant, so didn't bother to take it to a dealer.
But if you didn't have it before, obviously something you changed contributed to it. The steering is so sensitive it could even be the change of stance. Who knows. If it doesn't bother you I'd leave it alone, but if it does, start by swapping the spacers front to back, remove all rust from the hubs and see what happens. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 03:17 PM   #3
pumper206
80 Deep, We All Eat!!!
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
My car feels like that, and don't have spacers. It's ever so slightly, and as you said, not constant, so didn't bother to take it to a dealer.
But if you didn't have it before, obviously something you changed contributed to it. The steering is so sensitive it could even be the change of stance. Who knows. If it doesn't bother you I'd leave it alone, but if it does, start by swapping the spacers front to back, remove all rust from the hubs and see what happens. Good luck.
Thanks for the help dude...I might try to take my wheels off and get them rebalanced. Maybe because of the different stance the balance is off??? I dunno. The vibration/shudder is more irritating then anything....I'm kind of anal when it comes to my car.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 05:41 PM   #4
dawgdog
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2016 GT3

Probably wheel balancing.
      11-21-2009, 05:49 PM   #5
Hedges
Major General
Rep
Drives: 12 C63 AMG

Re-balance your wheel!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 06:28 PM   #6
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumper206 View Post
Thanks for the help dude...I might try to take my wheels off and get them rebalanced. Maybe because of the different stance the balance is off??? I dunno. The vibration/shudder is more irritating then anything....I'm kind of anal when it comes to my car.
What brand of wheels do you have? OEM?
      11-21-2009, 07:51 PM   #7
pumper206
80 Deep, We All Eat!!!
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
What brand of wheels do you have? OEM?
Yea...OEM 19's. Soon to be 19" Volk G2's tho!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 10:07 PM   #8
MShao825
Go Terps!
Rep
Drives: 2009 SSII/FR E92 M3

I experienced the same vibrating issue after installing spacers, and I could've sworn my spacers were defective because I removed them and the vibrating disappeared. After demanding a new set, I was embarrassed to find that my steering wheel was still vibrating at highway speeds

From what I understand, the spacers will sort of exaggerate the imbalance of your wheels, so the slightest imperfection of the wheels will be picked up by the spacers. Get your wheels rebalanced and you should find that there is no more vibrating (although I can't speak from personal experience because I've been too lazy to get mine rebalanced ).