BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

11-06-2012, 09:25 PM   #1
belyzel4
Rep
Drives: ssii e92

Buyer's Remorse about not getting an M3

Hey guys. It's been 1 year since I purchased my 335is and lately I've been having horrible buyer's remorse about not getting this perfect AW E92 M3 that appeared at the dealership the day I came in to finalize a price and sign the paperwork for my 335is. Back then I was certain that the 335is was the perfect car for me, but in hindsight I didn't research the M3 enough to realize it was far superior to justify the extra $$$. I didn't even test drive the M3, I just knew that getting out of my IS350 and into a 335 was all that mattered. The thought of "if only I got the M3" has always lingered in the back of my head, but it only became exaggerated after joining this forum and learning to drive stick on a fun little Boxster S I purchased. Now I keep watching M3 videos on YouTube and it's all that is on my mind.

So now I'm thinking about jumping the gun and getting a 6MT M3 very soon. Don't get me wrong, I really love everything about my 335is sans the lack of an LSD... it's just I feel like there is a reason everyone on this forum agrees that M3 > 335 and it would also be cool to make the transition to the manual side.

What I'd like to ask you guys is, besides the M3 pros listed below, am I gaining enough to make the switch worthwhile? Would it be better to just get an aftermarket LSD and save myself the huge financial humiliation? Where would you place a 335is relative to an M3 if it did have an LSD (i.e. 90% of the car an M3 is)?

335is Pros
-Great MPG (25-30 on highways for me)
-DCT (same as M3, just different software programming)
-Modded Perfectly to my Liking (just needed to add JB4 and M3 Lip Spoiler)
-Amazing Low-End Torque w/ JB4
-Intoxicating Exhaust

M3 Pros
-High Revving Engine
-Limited Slip Differential & Better Gear Ratios
-More Aggressive Styling

Last edited by belyzel4; 11-06-2012 at 09:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 09:42 PM   #2
Poofyo101
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
1990 BMW M3  [0.00]
Btw. The M3 Exhaust tone>335 Exhaust tone.
      11-06-2012, 09:45 PM   #3
Edjay
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 AW, 76 2002

The rear end is more than just gear ratio ad limited slip upgrade. Sure if you like to go without dsc then yes M3 rear diff wont matter much. But with M mode you can have fun and somewhat rely on the cars dsc to help save your butt. On other 3 serries dcs is pretty much on or off. No "lets have safe fun" settings. Do 335 still go on limp mode after about 20-30min of hard hard driving? Thats one thing to consider. Then you have the option on the M3s suspenssion EDC for date night choose comfort, fun drive home normal, spirited driving sport mode. There are realy alot of this little things that you can get on M3 that is not available on other 3 serries.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 09:52 PM   #4
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

sounds like you already made up your mind. the most expensive purchase is the one you settle for.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 09:52 PM   #5
belyzel4
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poofyo101 View Post
Btw. The M3 Exhaust tone>335 Exhaust tone.
I like the M3 exhaust tone, but in my opinion the 335is exhaust tone sounds more to my liking. The M3 performance exhaust on the other hand... oh man that thing gives me shivers.

Edjay, you're right about the limp mode... hassle when it happens. I was hoping to keep the 335is until I could afford a clinic down the line, but I guess my emotions have the best of me currently. I essentially have the M3 on a pedestal.

Last edited by belyzel4; 11-06-2012 at 10:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 10:10 PM   #6
MKE_M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

I had a modified 335 before my M3. My 335 had dinan suspension, wavetrac lsd and tune and several other mods. The lsd was great, loved the dinan suspension, but after a year with the M3, with no mods, i have zero regrets. Where the m3 really shines is on the t track, with the engine screaming and the beautifully balanced (and more stable) chassis, the m3 it's phenomenal. I'm not sure it would be much faster than the 335is modded, but it's more rewarding, more solid, has better seats, better rubber, better steering, better resale than modded 335, i could go on and on.

Worth the money? Depends on your financial situation, but if I could have afforded the M3 when i bought the 335, i would have bought it and I'd have more money and would have been much happier today. Hind site I'd 20/20 I guess.

BTW, my M3, ZCP, 6MT, leather, was only 59k, brand new. Not sure if you saved much money getting the 335is plus mods.
      11-06-2012, 10:16 PM   #7
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

On the M3 front, you're missing:

Far better steering feel
Better throttle control and response (mostly due to the NA engine)
Far better seats (larger and adjustable bolsters, way better leather)
EDC (if you get it)
Better brakes (will still definitely need better fluid and probably better pads for track duty)
NO RUN-FLATS!! (and larger tires overall)

Exhaust note is of course subjective, but IMHO the M3 takes the cake because of that V8. Try a rev-match from 4th to 3rd around 70 mph; that throttle blip is virtually silent on the 335, whereas on the M3 it's life-affirming.

But I've said it elsewhere and I'll say it again here: The M3 is definitely a more fun car to drive even on a commute, BUT if driving it on city streets and freeways is ALL you'll be doing, I personally don't think that it's better by an amount that justifies its added cost, both in purchase price and ongoing running costs. If on the other hand you'll be driving on twisty back roads and especially on the track, then the added cost makes perfect sense. People who have never taken their M3s to the track will never grok its real reason for existing. If you get the M3, do yourself a favor and take it there at least enough times to become a good enough driver that you can see what this car is really all about. That of course will add to your M3 upgrade costs, but it's also one of the most fun per dollar experiences available IMHO, and there's no point in getting a more expensive and sporty car to use it the same way you used your previous car. Good luck OP!

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)

Last edited by jphughan; 11-06-2012 at 10:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 10:20 PM   #8
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
I did not own a 335, but I did own a 135 for 3 years. I had driven a number of M3s, from stock to supercharged. The difference in the quality of the chassis and feedback to the driver is far superior in the M3. I spent several years and 12-15k easy (parts costs alone) trying to make a non M into one. Just when I thought I had it done, I had the opportunity to yet again track an M3. My car had everything from an LSD and all of the M3 suspension bits, to more power than the M3. The difference was still quite clear, a non M will never be one.
The difference starts with the basics. Change tires on the 135/335, then change the suspension to try to fix the next weak link. Then eventually you get an LSD, and then all of the bushings, ball joints, brakes etc aren't up to par. So then you get into that. In the end, you'll still fall short.
You put upgraded wheels and tires on an M3 and it takes it in stride, no problem.
The differences go far beyond V8 and LSD. Once you spend a short amount of time in an M3 you will be sold. I've been driving other friend's cars for years in all sorts of conditions. Take one for a drive and you'll get rid of the 335 in no time. The mods on the M3 are far more expensive, but well worth it in the end.
I picked up an M3 and I haven't missed a single thing about my 135 since.
Do it, you won't be sorry that you did. You'll only be sorry you didn't go with your gut in the beginning, I know this first hand!
Bryan
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 10:48 PM   #9
belyzel4
Rep

Looks like I ended up making a big mistake! I'll try to keep myself from test driving the m3 for as long as possible so I don't make an impulse purchase right away without thinking things through! I always knew I was going to eventually end up with an M3, I just don't know why I wanted to wait for the next generation... when the fun of the high revving engine will be gone.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 10:53 PM   #10
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by belyzel4 View Post
Looks like I ended up making a big mistake! I'll try to keep myself from test driving the m3 for as long as possible so I don't make an impulse purchase right away without thinking things through! I always knew I was going to eventually end up with an M3, I just don't know why I wanted to wait for the next generation... when the fun of the high revving engine will be gone.
Good idea, because if you test drive an M3, you WILL force yourself to buy it. That'd probably happen even if you weren't already jonesing for an M3 as hard as you seem to be.

As for the next generation worries, if the M5 is any indication, the loss of a high-revving engine doesn't seem to be causing owners any real grief, even those who had the E60 previously. The next M3 in all likelihood will be better than this one, especially in terms of doubling as a DD when needed; it'll be lighter, faster (and easier to drive faster thanks to turbos), more fuel efficient, etc. I drove a 1M recently and could definitely see how it might be preferred over an M3 by someone who tracks occasionally (or never) but primarily DDs. It's just far easier to accelerate quickly at civilized RPMs in a 1M than an M3; the 1M makes lazier driving more enjoyable, whereas to really have a blast in the M3 you have to work it -- and all of those 1M advantages should carry into the next M3. But all that said, I still personally prefer this M3 because even though lazier driving can be more fun in the 1M (though lack of that V8 sound is definitely missed), spirited driving is hands down more fun in the M3, and that's the type of driving I bought my car for.

But even if the next M3 does somehow manage to combine the advantages of the 1M and the current M3, I think the current M3 is truly something special, so I expect to be able to resist the urge to upgrade. Plus by then I'll probably have my financial priorities focused elsewhere anyway, so that'll help too.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)

Last edited by jphughan; 11-06-2012 at 11:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 11:01 PM   #11
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

If possible find a dealership near some hills/twistys for an M3 test drive. Will probably help you decide whether the upgrade is worth it or not, depending on your driving style.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 11:27 PM   #12
belyzel4
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Good idea, because if you test drive an M3, you WILL force yourself to buy it. That'd probably happen even if you weren't already jonesing for an M3 as hard as you seem to be.

As for the next generation worries, if the M5 is any indication, the loss of a high-revving engine doesn't seem to be causing owners any real grief, even those who had the E60 previously. The next M3 in all likelihood will be better than this one, especially in terms of doubling as a DD when needed; it'll be lighter, faster (and easier to drive faster thanks to turbos), more fuel efficient, etc. I drove a 1M recently and could definitely see how it might be preferred over an M3 by someone who tracks occasionally (or never) but primarily DDs. It's just far easier to accelerate quickly at civilized RPMs in a 1M than an M3; the 1M makes lazier driving more enjoyable, whereas to really have a blast in the M3 you have to work it -- and all of those 1M advantages should carry into the next M3. But all that said, I still personally prefer this M3 because even though lazier driving can be more fun in the 1M (though lack of that V8 sound is definitely missed), spirited driving is hands down more fun in the M3, and that's the type of driving I bought my car for.

But even if the next M3 does somehow manage to combine the advantages of the 1M and the current M3, I think the current M3 is truly something special, so I expect to be able to resist the urge to upgrade. Plus by then I'll probably have my financial priorities focused elsewhere anyway, so that'll help too.
Driving the 335is has really been a great experience. Having so much power down low is definitely different from the Boxster S and I believe similar to what you're talking about with the 1M vs. M3. I'm going to have to think long and hard about how I am going to do this. Right now the options are:

Sell my 335is and jump into any E92 M3 w/ ZCP I find
Enjoy my 335is until the M4 comes out

I don't exactly know how soon until we'll decide to start a big family, but I know once that happens the M3 goes out the door and in comes the M5. So getting an E92 now would give me more time with my mechanical baby
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 11:29 PM   #13
belyzel4
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
If possible find a dealership near some hills/twistys for an M3 test drive. Will probably help you decide whether the upgrade is worth it or not, depending on your driving style.
You have no idea how badly I'd like to do that mhabs. I just don't know if I'd be able to restrain myself if the M3 wins me over lol. I should have just test driven the M3 that day I saw it at the dealership .
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 11:47 PM   #14
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

Another way to look at it is wait until 2014 and see what the new M3 sedan (instead of the M4) has in store...may end up being worth the wait after all and you "amortize" your 335is in the meantime. The new 3 series has quite a bit more room vs the E9x version and would actually be practical for a family of 4. A test drive of the new 335i may also give you (or esp your wife) wife a good sense of what a slightly larger car feels like. I have a family of 4 and the E9x is actually pretty practical (esp if the kids are 12 yrs old and below), but having driven the F30 328i, can see how that practicality would increase somewhat (in sense of fitting full sized adults in the rear).
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 11:52 PM   #15
Brucewonder
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 yea boi

The V8 is enough reason to make the change. But for me, i always wanted to own an M3. Top bread of the 3er's. yes that does mean alot to me ahah
      11-07-2012, 12:29 AM   #16
PrimoM3
Chemofski
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 X5M

Post pictures when you get your M3- you'll love it!

'13 Space Gray/Mugello Red X5///M
Pavement Punisher | Snow Muncher | Family and Board Hauler | Roadtripper
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 12:55 AM   #17
Xtopherus
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by belyzel4 View Post
Driving the 335is has really been a great experience. Having so much power down low is definitely different from the Boxster S and I believe similar to what you're talking about with the 1M vs. M3. I'm going to have to think long and hard about how I am going to do this. Right now the options are:

Sell my 335is and jump into any E92 M3 w/ ZCP I find
Enjoy my 335is until the M4 comes out

I don't exactly know how soon until we'll decide to start a big family, but I know once that happens the M3 goes out the door and in comes the M5.
So getting an E92 now would give me more time with my mechanical baby
This is an interesting statement. The M4 comes out in what, about two years from now? That's a long time to wait. I just got my M3 but I wondered the same thing: what if the M4 is better? It probably will be in many respects, but that's a long time to wait to find out. Plus it sounds like you'll be looking at an M5 by that time anyway.

If you really want an M3, you should probably look at getting top dollar for your 335is right now. It's a fairly rare and desirable car, consider listing it privately for a good price and sell it if you can find a buyer. It's only going to lose value over time as you increase the mileage or possibly pick up some dings. If it sells (and you have another vehicle for a few months), place an order for your M3 and feel good about getting what you really want without having to take a terrible loss on the 335is.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 03:34 AM   #18
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Good idea, because if you test drive an M3, you WILL force yourself to buy it.

That was me three years ago
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 05:04 AM   #19
Peahi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 CPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemetry
I had a modified 335 before my M3. My 335 had dinan suspension, wavetrac lsd and tune and several other mods. The lsd was great, loved the dinan suspension, but after a year with the M3, with no mods, i have zero regrets. Where the m3 really shines is on the t track, with the engine screaming and the beautifully balanced (and more stable) chassis, the m3 it's phenomenal. I'm not sure it would be much faster than the 335is modded, but it's more rewarding, more solid, has better seats, better rubber, better steering, better resale than modded 335, i could go on and on.

Worth the money? Depends on your financial situation, but if I could have afforded the M3 when i bought the 335, i would have bought it and I'd have more money and would have been much happier today. Hind site I'd 20/20 I guess.

BTW, my M3, ZCP, 6MT, leather, was only 59k, brand new. Not sure if you saved much money getting the 335is plus mods.
My 6mt zcp w m perf was 63k from Ryan at Steve Thomas. The local dealers werent even on the radar pricewise, and their 335is's were priced high into m3 range. I think u could have reached for an m3 with a good deal. He isn't the number 1 m3 dealer in the country by accident.

Like others have said, sell your car ASAP for highest value, before dings and crap set in. Then order the exact car u wanted and WAIT patiently.

You don't want to live your life trying to rationalize why you're not driving the car you really wanted.
      11-07-2012, 09:58 AM   #20
quiksi
Captain
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
every time I see one of these threads I'm glad I didn't make the "rational" decision

2011 E90 M3 6mt AW/Speed Cloth - ZCP, Moonroof, non-iDrive - PCD 12/9/10
Painted reflectors, matte black grills/gills, Deansbimmer Belly Pan, DEI Alarm, Homelink/compass retrofit, Passport MAX2 Hardwire, GP Thunder 8500K, modmy3 LED interior, Dinan Mufflers, HRE P40 19" Satin Charcoal, Michelin PS4S
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 10:13 AM   #21
bimdo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 m3

i started looking for a 335,couldn't find any used ones ones with a manual trans,and adjusted my thinking to an m3.i am so glad i did.once you open yourself up to the possibility of getting an m3,you will be sorry if you don't.if you are a true car guy,just tell yourself we only live once,and why always wish you had done it.it's only a material thing,but it's a way of letting yourself enjoy life.

as others on here told me when i was considering both,a 335 makes more sense,it has more torque around town and gets better gas mileage.the m3,though,is poetry in motion one guy said.that's the phrase that stuck in my head.it has a large number of improvements that the m division did over the 335,and you can feel them.it's not just a trim package.some very skilled engineers took a 335,and put a huge amount of time and effort into making it better.you can exceed the stats with mods,but can't duplicate the feel.the motor is not just high-revving,it's phenomenal.go through a turn with it at 6000 rpm,and then blast it up to the 8400 rpm redline as you come out of the turn.that's worth the price of admission right there.read this suspension review,and you can see the level of detail on just this one area-
http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtest...alkaround.html

it has near supercar performance in a practical but tough-looking body.i have bought the wrong thing before,and wasted money to end up with the right thing,and was damn glad i did in the end.

Last edited by bimdo; 11-07-2012 at 11:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 10:32 AM   #22
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiksi View Post
every time I see one of these threads I'm glad I didn't make the "rational" decision
+1
I was so close on getting a 335is.
Appreciate 0